Political movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wilmoth
I've seen that trailer for the Guantanamo film on Channel 4 this week. Just wondered what you thought about it and movies with a political slant as a whole?

Myth
I hated the Constant Gardner no expression

Quiero Mota
I enjoy political movies, here are some of my favorites...

Airforce One

Nick of Time

The Art of War

Citizen Cane

The Manchurian Candidate

Black Sheep

The Interpretor

The Insider

Bullworth

Murder at 1600

.....and a lot more I cant think of.........

Myth
There's also:

Wag the Dog
Dr Strangelove
JFK
Malcom X
All the President's Men

Solo
Originally posted by Myth
Overrated? Yes. Bad? No.

Koala MeatPie
There's also:

Wag the Dog
Dr Strangelove
JFK
Malcom X
All the President's Men

I saw malcolm X when I was 6 o7.

I have never seen it scince.
Somebody mind exlpaining to me what was the whole "get your hand out of my pocket" deal?

BackFire
Dr. Strangelove kicks so much ass. Love that movie.

Cinemaddiction
Strangelove bored me, aside from Peter Sellers' scenes. The 1962 "Manchurian Candidate" is easily one of, if not the best, politcal thrillers of all time. It took A LOT of balls to make that movie at that time as well.

BackFire
It's an acquired taste, really (Strangelove). Though, at it's time it was incredibly brave, edgy, and relevant. One of the most important dark comedies and satires ever made.

Koala MeatPie

BackFire
The greatest political film is, IMO, Paths of Glory. A war film but also about the politics of war. One of the absolute finest films anyone will ever see.

Dr. Strangelove
I never could get into The Manchurian Candidate, truthfully.

One that hasn't been mentioned is The Battle of Algiers. It's one of the greatest political films of all times along with being very influential and very revelant. The U.S. Army used the movie as a guide to soldiers on what kind of attacks they would be facing in Afghanistan.

I would also go with Strangelove and JFK.

Tptmanno1
Strangelove is classic.
All the Presidents Men got boring for me, Or maybe it was just the environment, I saw it in a class...
I enjoy Political movies...
But what would you classify exactly as a "Political Movie"?
One that deals with politics is rather Broad...
Would you classify Lord of War as a Political movie? Or Hotel Rwanda?

Punker69
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
when I think Political movie, I think "Fahrenheit 9/11"

Doesn't everyone....

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I never could get into The Manchurian Candidate, truthfully.

Me neither. I found it boring. I couldn't even finish it. I may give it another try one of these days.

Myth
How about The Day After Tomorrow laughing

papabeard
All the Presidents Men
Bob Roberts
Malcolm X
Election

wilmoth
On a documentary tip, I really enjoyed Farenheit 911 too. But in terms of movies, things like Missing and All The Presidents Men were/are still brilliant.

Can't wait to see Road To Guantanamo on Channel 4 tomorrow tho'. Do you think you'll be watching?

papabeard
There are so many political documentaries,

Outfoxed,
The Corporation,
The Yes Men,
The Hunting of the President,
The War Room
The Last Party
The Fog of War

DarkWizard
Political movies?

Star wars 1-3. roll eyes (sarcastic)

papabeard
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest ( Allegorical)

Eis
The Constant Gardener was great!

Originally posted by Solo
Overrated? Yes. Bad? No.
I disagree, in fact it might be a little underrated.

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I enjoy political movies, here are some of my favorites...

Airforce One

Nick of Time

The Art of War

Citizen Cane

The Manchurian Candidate

Black Sheep

The Interpretor

The Insider

Bullworth

Murder at 1600

.....and a lot more I cant think of.........
I don't think Air Force One counts as a political movie.

But me, of course it depends on the movie but yeah, I like political movies.

Makedde
I haven't seen that many political movies, but I do want to see that film by Michael Moore...911 whatever it is. smile

wilmoth
Hey, who saw The Road to Guantanamo last night? Thought it raised a lot of interesting questions - can torture ever be justified, how well can you trust a person's testimony of events etc...

BTW you can download it at the channel 4 website if you didn't see it or want to watch it again.

Mr Parker
There's also:

Wag the Dog
Dr Strangelove
JFK
Malcom X
All the President's Men

yeah those along with Citizen Kane and airforce one I really love.My favorite out of all those is for sure JFK though.

Shogun DXPSI
anyone watch FarenHYPE 9/11? i was wondering how that was? and if it debunks Farenheit 9/11

papabeard
It does try to show that Michael Moore was lying but on Moores website he shows all of the sources and documents etc that he used, in order to refute these claims.

I also watched The Road to Guantanamo last night, I found it disturbing that this is how suspects are treated, it seemed the soldiers and officers were devoid of any intelligence and common sense and full of robotic fascism.

Quiero Mota
Good Night and Good Luck is another one.

Is Brokeback Mountain a political movie? I would think so, considering that its a tool for the far left.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.