Greatest Producer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mugen
El-P?......... J Dilla?...... Dr. Dre?..... RJD2... and countless others, who do you think is the best producer in hip-hop?

Deathblow
It has to be between RZA and Premo.

El-P, Madlib, Stoupe and Pete Rock are all near invincible in my eyes as well, but I'll stick with the top two.

Mugen
i haven't heard premo's stuff, but i love RZA's magic. He produces all of the Wu albums dosen't he, if so, then he defintely derserves a top spot. I like alot of Dilla and El-P, alos mcenroe isn't too bad, although some of the beats he makes are just like wtf? herbaliser and Blueprint are also a great mentions.

Inspectah Deck
Premo and Hi-Tek

koolruningz
You probably have heard Prems stuff but you may not have realised it. He's had his fingers in many hip hop pies.
Im not even gonna try and attempt to get into the best so i'll go with my favs instead.
Prem, X-cel, El-P, mcenroe, Kno, M Phases (Supastition), Hi Tek, Blueprint, Stoupe, Speck & Enoch (Cyne) and a ton more i cant think of right now. Obviously Jay Dee and Rza have to go in there to.

Mugen
does Bobbito Garcia produce? hes a hip-hop legend period, but ive always wondered if he produced any albums for people.

-hh-
Rza or Pete Rock

others include Premo, Kno, Stoupe, Madlib, El-P

JacopeX
Dr Dre
Luny Tunes
Zion y Lennox
Neptunes
Grandmaster J

Imma think of more, im out

Inspectah Deck
Luny Tunes?

-hh-
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Luny Tunes? i think he's a reggaeton producer...since jacope listesn to that stuff

Inspectah Deck
That isn't hip-hop, though

-hh-
That isn't hip-hop, though i know

i just ignore Jacope

don't wanna see him cry

Inspectah Deck
laughing

I forgot Docta Dre

Mugen
i put him up there, personally i rate El-P and J Dilla way way above him. but he is a talented producer no doubt.

Inspectah Deck
Jermaine Dupri stick out tongue

-hh-
Jermaine Dupri stick out tongue laughing out loud

stunna1773
kanye west

Phat J
edans pretty good

-hh-
Originally posted by Phat J
edans pretty good definitley

Darth Jello
Thom Wilson, Butch Vig, Greza X

Afro Cheese
Yeah it's RZA, IMO. Know it sounds cliche and redundant but if I said anyone else I'd have to add "besides RZA." He's one of those producers who can make beats that sound nothing like the songs they sampled from, and I really dig that. He also makes beats that are damn near impossible to sample.

Personally don't see what's so great about some producers mentioned like Kno or Kanye West. I like them alright but to me they're just ok.. not even top 10. People say Dre's overrated but look at Kanye. I happen to like Dre's G-Funk style beats.. although that's mostly cause I also happen to be a fan of old school P-Funk. New York beats sound so cluttered and abrasive.. which is cool but I also think it's cool to escape from that sound once in a while and Dre was basically the first to do it on such a large scale.. for which he has my respect. The whole high pitched melody and heavy bass accompanied by hedonistic rhymes... I love the G-Funk vibe. Really does a good job at continuing the ways of funk.

-hh-
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Yeah it's RZA, IMO. Know it sounds cliche and redundant but if I said anyone else I'd have to add "besides RZA." He's one of those producers who can make beats that sound nothing like the songs they sampled from, and I really dig that. He also makes beats that are damn near impossible to sample.

Personally don't see what's so great about some producers mentioned like Kno or Kanye West. I like them alright but to me they're just ok.. not even top 10. People say Dre's overrated but look at Kanye. I happen to like Dre's G-Funk style beats.. although that's mostly cause I also happen to be a fan of old school P-Funk. New York beats sound so cluttered and abrasive.. which is cool but I also think it's cool to escape from that sound once in a while and Dre was basically the first to do it on such a large scale.. for which he has my respect. The whole high pitched melody and heavy bass accompanied by hedonistic rhymes... I love the G-Funk vibe. Really does a good job at continuing the ways of funk. kanye definitley not top 10, but Kno in my opinion has NEVER made a bad beat. the Cunninlynguists albums (beat wise) are incredible. Not a single wack track based on production. Even the interludes are incredible stick out tongue

maybe it's just me. I like all the classical stuff he samples. Stoupe as well.

Because I can
Dr. Dre

Anyone heard the song "Bitches ain't shit" Written by Ben Folds but has Dr. Dre Lyrics... classic

-hh-
Originally posted by Because I can
Dr. Dre

Anyone heard the song "Bitches ain't shit" Written by Ben Folds but has Dr. Dre Lyrics... classic i hate that song. Eazy E took him out with 'Real Mother****ing G's'. Dre = wack when it comes to lyrics

Because I can
Dr. Dre... Do you think he has... issues?

-hh-
Originally posted by Because I can
Dr. Dre... Do you think he has... issues? ??

Afro Cheese
Dre may not be a lyricist, but come on he's at least better than Eazy E. Although that song is pretty cool, and a better diss track then **** Wit Dre Day, though I think **** Wit Dre Day was a better song overall.

Because I can
MmmmmMMmmmm.....

MmmmMMmmmmmmmmmmm.... yeah, thats about all i have to say

Deathblow
Dre may not be a lyricist, but come on he's at least better than Eazy E. Although that song is pretty cool, and a better diss track then **** Wit Dre Day, though I think **** Wit Dre Day was a better song overall.

Two words: No Vaseline.

Insight, Blockhead and Blueprint, three of my other favorites I forgot.

omaga
Originally posted by Mugen
El-P?......... J Dilla?...... Dr. Dre?..... RJD2... and countless others, who do you think is the best producer in hip-hop?

Jermaine Dupri! end of.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Deathblow

Insight, Blockhead and Blueprint, three of my other favorites I forgot. I've never actually heard that. I thought that was diss at Common?

Alpha Centauri
Stoupe, RZA and Hi-Tek for me.

I was never a real big fan of Stoupe production wise (although I always though he was good) until I heard Rip the Jacker. I think his production on that is astounding.

That said, The Blast is one of my favourite hip hop songs ever.

-AC

koolruningz
Originally posted by -hh-
kanye definitley not top 10, but Kno in my opinion has NEVER made a bad beat. the Cunninlynguists albums (beat wise) are incredible. Not a single wack track based on production. Even the interludes are incredible.

thumb up smart

Refused
You guys already mentioned all the greats but I think one producer who's coming up in the ranking, at least in my book, is Dangermouse. DM and Jemni, Dangerdoom, Grey Album, Demon Days is quite a list imo.

Madlib is my favorite producer.

Deathblow
I've never actually heard that. I thought that was diss at Common?

Nope, NWA.

You should seriously get Death Certificate. Absolute classic.

JacopeX
Originally posted by -hh-
i know

i just ignore Jacope

don't wanna see him cry I dont cry, dont make me come back again cuz i don wanna start nothin wit you anymore.

Alpha Centauri

Agreed.

What do you think of War and Peace? Either/or.

-AC

Inspectah Deck

Insight, Blockhead and Blueprint, three of my other favorites I forgot.

Did you hear the song L.A, L.A by Mobb Deep?

koolruningz
Nope, NWA.

Death Certificate is my favourite Cube album, "a bird in the hand" and "alive on arrival" are the highlights for me. Predator and Amerikkka's most wanted are definitely worth checking out to.

Deathblow
Did you hear the song L.A, L.A by Mobb Deep?

Was that another diss track?

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Agreed.

What do you think of War and Peace? Either/or.

-AC

War wasn't bad. It was corny in places, but it had a much darker side than any of his earlier material.

Peace was just abysmal.

Alpha Centauri

War wasn't bad. It was corny in places, but it had a much darker side than any of his earlier material.

Peace was just abysmal.

I remember seeing them both and thinking it was unusual for such a mainstream MC to take risks like that, so I checked them out. I thought War was also really patchy but I don't even think I've heard all of Peace. I took the disc out. A rarity.

-AC

Mugen
i like the diversity that all the really greats bring to the table, i like Mcenroe's beats because IMO, they're really suburban, im from the subs, so you kinda get the vibe with the music, RZA is also the same for me, his music is real urban, New York based, and i might be alone on this, but i think the Wu-Tang Clan owns New York, i gave my friend a listen to a track from Cuban Linx, and he told me it felt like being in New York again. Any producer that can bring that kinda vibe to beat is truly talented.

Inspectah Deck

Yeah. During the East and West coast beef the made this song

Dr. Strangelove
I'm really feeling Oktopus' work. The dudes production sounds like a sonic wave of buildings crashing in slow motion. Amazing stuff.

Best: Stoup, Madlib, Dre, Emu man.

Truthfully, I've never been too big on RZA. I think he's good, but he has never wowed me like others.

Afro Cheese
Nope, NWA.So is the part about it dissing common just a false myth or something? Cause I've always heard that "The ***** In Yoo" was in response to that track, or the other way around depending on which came first. I've never heard either one.

I've never been a huge beef-eater. I just recently heard "Ether" when I got Stillmatic.

Yeah I was planning on it, I already own his debut and The Predator.

Deathblow
I'm pretty sure it was aimed just at NWA. I'll give it another listen though, there might be a line or two aimed at Common in there somewhere.

I'm bored by the whole beef thing too, it just so happens No Vaseline is a great hip-hop song. Other than that, I can't think of a single diss track worth listening to, even Second Round K.O. got dull fast. Actually, saying that, Mercy Killing by Esoteric was great. Not so much for the production of anything, just because he really buried Vast Aire and El-P. Most effective diss I've heard in sometime.

Mugen
did they ever ansewer back?

i hate beefs, just cuz its just friggin retarded, just battle and get it over, i haven't heard a solid diss track. Cage and esoteric was just flat out gay in my opinoin. neither made a deep diss track, i thought Runaway was decent though. BUT i did think it was funny when Cage and his boy ****ed up Celph titled, when they made the mistake of coming to his show, after what had happened between them.

Phat J
I'm pretty sure it was aimed just at NWA. I'll give it another listen though, there might be a line or two aimed at Common in there somewhere.

I'm bored by the whole beef thing too, it just so happens No Vaseline is a great hip-hop song. Other than that, I can't think of a single diss track worth listening to, even Second Round K.O. got dull fast. Actually, saying that, Mercy Killing by Esoteric was great. Not so much for the production of anything, just because he really buried Vast Aire and El-P. Most effective diss I've heard in sometime.

i remember that, that was the first cd i ordered. i wanted to get the original of one of the tracks because all i could find on the net was radio edited versions, and then the cd finally came and everything was still blanked out on it. im gonna go listen to mercy killing right now, i didnt know much about vast aire or el-p when i first heard it.

Mugen
decided to bring this thread back up

MF Doom, i cant believe nobody mentioned him, Daedelus and Blockhead, and god i love M phazes' work, Chain Letters and The Deadline are flawless production wise. DJ Natural on Typical Cats, that jazz is crazy.

knight
Steve Lillywhite... Production Credits (Artists)

Morrissey:
U2:
Kirsty MacColl:
Big Country:
The Pogues:
Psychedelic Furs:
Siouxsie & The Banshees:
Talking Heads:
Peter Gabriel:
Dave Matthews Band:
Climie Fisher:
Penetration:
The La's:
The Rolling Stones:
Johnny Thunders:
The Smiths:
Joan Armatrading:
Marshall Crenshaw:
Thompson Twins:
Travis:
World Party:
XTC:

Phat J
Originally posted by Mugen
decided to bring this thread back up

MF Doom, i cant believe nobody mentioned him, Daedelus and Blockhead, and god i love M phazes' work, Chain Letters and The Deadline are flawless production wise. DJ Natural on Typical Cats, that jazz is crazy.

nujabes is pretty good, and just lately ive been getting into insight, hes amazing. he really is a hip hop renaissance man.

RogerRamjet
Originally posted by knight
Steve Lillywhite... Production Credits (Artists)

Morrissey:
U2:
Kirsty MacColl:
Big Country:
The Pogues:
Psychedelic Furs:
Siouxsie & The Banshees:
Talking Heads:
Peter Gabriel:
Dave Matthews Band:
Climie Fisher:
Penetration:
The La's:
The Rolling Stones:
Johnny Thunders:
The Smiths:
Joan Armatrading:
Marshall Crenshaw:
Thompson Twins:
Travis:
World Party:
XTC:

amen!

George Martin ( The Beatles)
Phil Spector (The Ronettes, Sonny & Cher, Beatles, Rolling Stones, George Harrison, John Lennon, Walker Bros.etc..)
David Bowie (himself, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed)
Rick Rubin (nearly every 80's and 90's hard rock band...)
Dave Jerden (Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction, RHCP)
Brian Eno
Dave Stewart
Jimmy Miller (Rolling Stones, Ike & Tina Turner)

Blue_Hefner
Dr. Dre man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.