The Trinity...is it monotheistic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Revernd Maynard
Christianity has a belife of the trinity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost). They pray to all of them, so does that mean that they're all one different thing, or one different form of God?

this thread kind of goes along with Punker's "Oneness or Trinity" Thread

debbiejo
They pray to all of them....????

Shakyamunison
There is another thread just like this.

debbiejo
I knew that, I'm psychic wink

I'm a psychic, heretic, wiccan, vegetarian.....With a exchristian disposition...lol

Kella
Originally posted by debbiejo
I knew that, I'm psychic wink

I'm a psychic, heretic, wiccan, vegetarian.....With a exchristian disposition...lol

Ooh ooh...me too! Well...once upon a time. Now I'm psychic, half-mental, Mormon, working on the vegetarian...it's shifty....and I've always been Christian as I DO believe in Christ...so you got me on that one, but I USED to be wiccan! HA!

laughing out loud

Kella
Originally posted by Revernd Maynard
Christianity has a belife of the trinity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost). They pray to all of them, so does that mean that they're all one different thing, or one different form of God?

I am Christian. Not going to debate the Mormon/Christian thing in here, but I am cuz I say I am so let it go. Anyway!

I do not pray to all pieces of the Trinity. I didn't know that people did. I pray to the Father in the name of the Son by means of the Holy Ghost.

As God and I can't sit and have a cup of hot chocolate and mull over the latest happenings and to do's in my life...I have to go through networks and channels like everyone else.

Why would you pray to the Holy Ghost? Or to Christ? I mean, sure Christ is a bit understandable, but he's like...the go to man and the Holy Ghost is like...the messanger, but God...well he has all the answers and he says yes or no.

hmm...I still just don't understand some churches.

Oh yeah...and why do Catholics pray to statues of human beings that they claim are saints? Sure...fine...you can have saints. That's cool...it's your thing. But why do you pray to them? Isn't that like...a sin? I thought it was a sin. Of course...I'm only going by the 10 commandments. Thou shalt have no God before me...or something like that. And then there is the one...Thou Shalt not worship false idols. Praying to a statue of a man...or a woman...even Mary...that's kinda like...worshipping. But that's my opinion. I wanna just know why.

It may not be worshipping in your mind. I don't pray to statues...or to crosses. Crucifixes freak me out. We have these GIGANTIC crosses on the side of the road in Baton Rouge...THOSE freak me out! It's like...if Christ came now and was punished and put to death for our sins now days...and they used a modern means of execution...we'd be like...praying to needles...or an electric chair. Do you see what I'm getting at? I just don't understand why.

I know you probably wear the crosses and have them as a reminder of the sacrifice, but you're recognizing Christ by means of a torture and execution device. now...maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I dunno.

I dont' mean to offend anyone. I just wanna know these things. I'm not Catholic and eventhough I've studied it...it just doesn't make sense to me. Can someone enlighten me?

Blue nocturne
Christianity seems more henotheistic then monotheistic to be honest.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Kella
I do not pray to all pieces of the Trinity.

JENGA!!!!!

Kella
laughing out loud Do you mean the game???

Revernd Maynard
I heard today that The trinity is like water

You have water as a solid/liquid/gas, but its still H20

debbiejo
The Trinity stems from older Pagan mythologies.

Shakyamunison

What about heavy water? D2O laughing

debbiejo

debbiejo
Besides Jesus never spoke of a trinity.

Mark 12:29 was, “Hear O Israel, the Lord is ONE….

Nowhere in the Bible is the Trinity mentioned. The word “trinity” and the concepts in the Nicene Creed, such as “hypostasis,” are not biblical.

Mindship
I imagine that the Trinity, at first, was not to be taken literally. It was a way of talking, a way to make God into something more tangible.

Punker69

They believe there is ONE God revealed in three persons. The best example I can give is that GOD is like a race. And the Father, Son, and The Holy Spirit occupy that race.

They basically believe three different beings make up God and yes, they do pray to all of them. Whenever you hear them pray you'll hear them say "In the name of the F,S,and HS" or something along those lines.

Blue nocturne
The Trinity stems from older Pagan mythologies.

If I remember correctly the egyptian trinity is Isis horus and set???

Punker69

Theres a big difference you have to remember.

Oneness christians believe that the Holy Spirit, The Father, and the Son are ONE.

Trinitarians believe that The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all ONE. But they believe each God has a different personality and GOD is revealed in three persons.

God is one person. He's not three different people. He's one being filling out different roles.

John 14:9- He who hath seen me hath seen the father.

leonheartmm
how can three things be one, n how can one things be three{aother example of how the very definitions of logic n englishlanguage are tinkered with by believers} either god is the FATHER, the SON or the HOLY GHOST. u cant have it both ways, either there are three gods or only one god and actually jesus, the father and the holy ghost are each 1/3 rd of GOD{which goes against the FATHER/GOD connection that christianity makes} also logically, jesus is not god, if he is the SON of god, either he is the son or her is the father himself. besides why would god need mary anyway if jesus was god himself?

Punker69
My dad is a Father, Son, and a Husband but he is still MANUEL.

God is not three different people. He is one person filling out different roles.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Punker69
My dad is a Father, Son, and a Husband but he is still MANUEL.

God is not three different people. He is one person filling out different roles.

you dont even listen to urself do u. ur dad is not omnipotent. your dad is not THE ONLY ONE. god does not have a father UNLIKE YOUR DAD. GOD DOES NOT HAVE ANY1 COMPAREABLE IN POWER unlike your dad who has you as a son and a DIFFERENT individual from himself{the reason he is a father is because he fathered YOU, a different being from himself} god does NOT have a father or creator UNLIKE your dad, who WAS created.

that was one of the most pathetic reasonings i have ever seen{did u hear that in church?} further evidence of how believers try to twist the conversation until the opposition is at a loss for words. if u reread your post you will see that the comparison makes NO SENSE watsoever.

debbiejo

God is one person. He's not three different people. He's one being filling out different roles.
God is not a person....How can a god be a person? We are people, god is much bigger than that. For god to be a person would mean that we could all gang up on him.

Shakyamunison
God is not a person....How can a god be a person? We are people, god is much bigger than that. For god to be a person would mean that we could all gang up on him.

God is all people and more. wink

Punker69

Sorry, Didn't catch the word "person". My apologies.

Punker69
Originally posted by leonheartmm
you dont even listen to urself do u. ur dad is not omnipotent. your dad is not THE ONLY ONE. god does not have a father UNLIKE YOUR DAD. GOD DOES NOT HAVE ANY1 COMPAREABLE IN POWER unlike your dad who has you as a son and a DIFFERENT individual from himself{the reason he is a father is because he fathered YOU, a different being from himself} god does NOT have a father or creator UNLIKE your dad, who WAS created.

Your whole first post was confusing as it is. I just tried to answer the question as best as I could.

You dont even seem to understand the Trinity so im not even going to discuss this with you.

leonheartmm
actually its YOU who doesnt seem to understand thge trinity seeing as you just tried to explain it with the example of your own father in ways that make NO argument whatsoever.

Punker69
actually its YOU who doesnt seem to understand thge trinity seeing as you just tried to explain it with the example of your own father in ways that make NO argument whatsoever.

You just tried to explain it in a post where you kept mentioning GOD. And how HE doesn't have any equal . Like I said previously. Trinitarians dont believe there are different Gods. That would be Tritheism. Trinitarians believe the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all three DIFFERENT persons that are God.

Oneness believe that they are not three different persons but ONE God filling out different roles.

Its actually quite different if you think about it.

The explanation I gave about my father was not intended to get him to relate to Gods omnipotence. Its just an anology.

Trinitarians believe that since God operates as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit that the must be THREE DIFFERENT PERSONS.

I gave the anology to show that God can BE ONE being and still operate as the Father,Son, and the Holy Spirit. Just as my father can be ONE PERSON and still operate as a Father, Son, and Husband.

Im done arguing about this. This thread was not to discuss what Trinitarism is but to have a Biblical discussion where people show their various Bible verses that they think support the Trinity and what not.

Im done discussing what it is. If you want to know that then GOOGLE it.

leonheartmm
so god is not MADE UP OF three things called the father, son and the holy ghost but each one of these is god in different forms? if THAT is true then how can god be his own father?!{jesus was the SON of god and mary was he not?! so the father basically concieved HIMSELFF from mary?! wtf?! thas just not logical{THINK about it} god sacrificed his ONLY BEGOTTEN "SON" "NOT" HIMSELF.

Revernd Maynard
God is the father son and the holy ghost, actually They are all him, and god is one. being logical has nothing to do with any of this no ever heard of miracles? They're not logical. And a Virgin giving birth? Not logical, but never prooven, just like god.

thats how you have to think of it

Shakyamunison
God is the father son and the holy ghost, actually They are all him, and god is one. being logical has nothing to do with any of this no ever heard of miracles? They're not logical. And a Virgin giving birth? Not logical, but never prooven, just like god.

thats how you have to think of it

Or not. cool

leonheartmm
only problem with THAT approach maynard, is the fact that your OWN relegion mentions that jesus was THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON. and that theres a father,son AND holy ghost. people just say god's beyond logic and thats that but you SHOULD think about it, even IF he was beyond logic what need did he have to go INTO the bounds of logic and imprgrante mary with HIMSELF?! and then pass of jesus{himself} as a GOD FEARING man who sacrificed himself BECAUSE of his father's command. that beyond logic*2 !!!!

heck next you could say that god does the opposite of what he says but because hes BEYOND logic, such logic cannot be applied to him and its only YOU{me} infront of whom torturing people is wrong but since hes beyond logic he can and will do anything and any1 who LOGICALLY opposes him{no1 can oppose without some inherent logic ni the mind even one based on beliefs} is wrong and will be killed and that IS justice because god wills it to be since hes beyond logic.{see the confusion and ridiculous outcomes of making things beyond logic}

Punker69
so god is not MADE UP OF three things called the father, son and the holy ghost but each one of these is god in different forms? if THAT is true then how can god be his own father?!{jesus was the SON of god and mary was he not?! so the father basically concieved HIMSELFF from mary?! wtf?! thas just not logical{THINK about it} god sacrificed his ONLY BEGOTTEN "SON" "NOT" HIMSELF.

When have Christ' actions ever been "logical"? When he hilled the blind man by using spit and clay, whats that logical? When through God Moses parted the Red Sea, was the logical? Jesus rising from the dead after three days, was that logical. Before you start trying to understand this you need to first stop trying to limit God.

Punker69
.{see the confusion and ridiculous outcomes of making things beyond logic}

Its really not confusing. You're just making it confusing.

debbiejo
How can it be a Father and a Son, wouldn't it have more since to be a Father and a Mother, or a Father and a Brother?.....You can't be both a Father and a Son. It doesn't make since to have a father be a son, and each be part of each other, It just goes against nature....

I guess it's late here....lol

Adam_PoE
How can it be a Father and a Son, wouldn't it have more since to be a Father and a Mother, or a Father and a Brother?.....You can't be both a Father and a Son. It doesn't make since to have a father be a son, and each be part of each other, It just goes against nature....

I guess it's late here....lol

I think what you mean to say is that it is impossible for one to be his own father or if you prefer, for one to be his own son.

leonheartmm
When have Christ' actions ever been "logical"? When he hilled the blind man by using spit and clay, whats that logical? When through God Moses parted the Red Sea, was the logical? Jesus rising from the dead after three days, was that logical. Before you start trying to understand this you need to first stop trying to limit God.

wrong again. to begin with there is absolutely no plausible evidence to suggest that these MIRACLES ever took place. but more importantly these actions were 100% LOGICAL. they werent scientifically "POSSIBLE" but they were LOGICAL. jesus gave back the site of a blind man due to love for humans and an innate ability to help people who did not have as much as humans are born with. moses parted the red sea because he wished his people to be free of the tyrrany and slavery induced by the chasing armies of the pharoah. jesus rose back from the dead to tell to his followers to not forget him and his teachings merely because he was dead and motivate them. ALL of these actions had an UNDERSTANDIBLE and COMPREHENDIBLE{and hence LOGICAL} REASONING behind them. hence one can ask the question that WHY did jesus do this and the replier can come up with a perfectly understandable answer. LOGIC is considered basically by asking "WHY" sumthing happened not "HOW" it happened. "HOW" is concerned with the mechanics behind the implementation or acomplichment of a feat, and therefore its not logic thats involved there, its infact SCIENTIFIC PLAUSIBILITY.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
I think what you mean to say is that it is impossible for one to be his own father or if you prefer, for one to be his own son. Yeah, that's what I meant..........obviously struggling.... yes

Punker69
wrong again. to begin with there is absolutely no plausible evidence to suggest that these MIRACLES ever took place.

Well as long as we where talking about God I was making the safe assumption roll eyes (sarcastic)

leonheartmm
Well as long as we where talking about God I was making the safe assumption roll eyes (sarcastic)

if youd seen god and his powers thatd be an acceptable answer and your sarcasm might have been justified...... but since god has even lesser evidence to back him up than jesus and his miracles............ well you get my point dont you.{nice to see that you have sumthin resemblin a sense of humour though}

Punker69
if youd seen god and his powers thatd be an acceptable answer and your sarcasm might have been justified...... but since god has even lesser evidence to back him up than jesus and his miracles............ well you get my point dont you.{nice to see that you have sumthin resemblin a sense of humour though}

I have seen God and his powers. I dont want to go into it right now. I've said various times on this religion forum of what i've seen and what not and I dont really want to explain it again just for you.

I do have a sense of humor. Look, I'm using the youpie smiley youpi

leonheartmm
nope youve neither seen god nor his powers. youve just seen a few fake exorcisms and believe they are true just like every other fool{trust me ive seen my share of ISLAM BASED exorcisms too n i believed em with my heart when i was young but they were actually BULLSHIT, mostly sick patients being made sicker and made to amuse an audience and make em believe in demons{djinns} and god's power.

Punker69
Someones been looking up my threads....I've not only seen exorcisms buddy. You think just because thats all I posted means that thats all i've seen. The supernatural goes far beyond the demonic spiritual realm. But this is what most people like to dwell on because its entertaining for most. I cant help that.

leonheartmm
my simple minded FRIEND. there are things beyond the natural, no doubt about it, the supernatural exists{although not QUITE in the stereotypical way u take it} but that is NO EVIDENCE for the existance of YOUR god. or any GOD for that matter. and i can assure u, most if not all of what you have seen is crap.

Punker69
You weren't there. And like I said numerous times before I would not have posted it if I had a doubt in my mind that it wasn't authentic.

Let me guess. In your mind your thinking that what i'm talking about happened while hundreds of people surrounded a demon possessed person an then the evangelist touch her with his finger tip and the person became normal again?

No, two of the times it happened when only about ten people surrounded the person and it was after service and it wasn't done at a time where it would amaze a crowd.

The third time it happend in a small youth service. Not a big evangelizing service.

Adam_PoE
You weren't there. And like I said numerous times before I would not have posted it if I had a doubt in my mind that it wasn't authentic.

Let me guess. In your mind your thinking that what i'm talking about happened while hundreds of people surrounded a demon possessed person an then the evangelist touch her with his finger tip and the person became normal again?

No, two of the times it happened when only about ten people surrounded the person and it was after service and it wasn't done at a time where it would amaze a crowd.

The third time it happend in a small youth service. Not a big evangelizing service.

What I find particularly interesting is the fact that you claim to have witnessed three incidents of demonic posession when most people never see one.

Punker69
Its really not that rare in Pentecostal services. Its really not even a big deal. It happens about every few months or so. After service a person will be doing weird stuff at the alter and speakin in weird tones and talking in the third person about themselves and saying things like "You cant have him/her"and then whichever preacher happens to be there will just just cast it out.

leonheartmm
Its really not that rare in Pentecostal services. Its really not even a big deal. It happens about every few months or so. After service a person will be doing weird stuff at the alter and speakin in weird tones and talking in the third person about themselves and saying things like "You cant have him/her"and then whichever preacher happens to be there will just just cast it out.

what i DO find wierd is that demons posess people in your church/surrounding etc every few months while the wrest of the world never really sees even one posession in a lifetime.{add to the fact that you are a devout christian unlike the wrest of the world and the chatning the name of jesus drives the demon out while the wrest of the world claims that chanting the name of THEIR god drives the spirits/demons out of any person in claimed exorcism cases}

Punker69
Maybe because demons only react when they're put in a situation where they have no other choice. Hence, a powerful church service. They can go undetected other place where the spirit of God isn't manifesting itself in a great way.

Mindship
I trust you've thoroughly investigated every other possible explanation (ie, medical, psychological) regarding these persons' behaviors, using doctors and psychologists (not affiliated with your church), before concluding demonic possession?

Or perhaps your church finds "possession" a useful metaphor, wherein the power of belief (placebo effect) is sufficient to set the afflicted individuals right.

debbiejo
Maybe because demons only react when they're put in a situation where they have no other choice. Hence, a powerful church service. . But, haven't you heard of religious demons......the church teaches that there are those.......

finti
actually what is rare in pentecostle service

debbiejo
Yeah,...............anything goes. People even bark in there!!!!!! no expression

Besides all the jumping, running, groaning, falling, laughing..........haha....Freaky stuff to visitors................lol

Same stuff you see at the bar. whistle

finti
and belching and burping and.......sounds like a pub actually

leonheartmm
if a demon really wanted to use a host to do evil. it wouldnt do loony stuff and make itself more obvious, it would stay hidden and become the president or sumthing and send soldiers off to iraq to kill and be killed and still get his stupid redneck country men to vote for him and give him a second consecutive win..............oh wait dont we already have sum1 like that................JESUS! BRING THE VATICAN'S EXORCIST AND HOLY WATER FILLED BULLETS , WERE GOING BUSH HUNTING!!!!

debbiejo
Man, there are so many books out there on demons it's not even funny...ok, lets list a few:

Repressive demon
addictive demon
Religious demon
Despair demon
Bondage demon
Fear demon
dumb and deaf demon
heaviness demon
Infirmity demon
Jealousy demon
Perverse demon
Divination and familiar demon
Whoredoms demon
Haughtiness demon
Lying demon
Antichrist demon
Discerning demon.

See! See!..........THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!! confused eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.