Dementia Patients

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Makedde
I have been reading alot about abuse in nursing homes lately, residents are abused by carers, but they are also being abused by dementia patients.

A few months ago I read about an elderly woman who was raped by a male dementia patient. This patient has not been moved from the nurding home. In another case, a male dementia patient killed an elderly woman, again, this patient was not moved from the nursing home.

I wondered what you think should be done about those dementia patients who are violent?

A letter in my local paper today, from an elderly man, says that his wife spent 16 months in a nursing home, bedridden, and dementia patients would come in and out of her room, and rifle through her belongings. Nothing was done about it, these patients are allowed to wander around and do as they please.

They break other residents belongings, wander in and out of their rooms, and even hit other residents, including their carers, when they don't get their own way.

As the other, non violent patients are at risk from these people, do you think they should be separated? Should violent dementia patients be kept away from other residents?

Although the two dementia patients didn't know what they were doing at the time, I still feel that they should be held accountable for their actions.

After all, if a person with a mental illness raped or attacked someone, they would be charged, and jailed. I feel the same should be done for these patients.

I know that no one can cure dementia, but the least that could happen is that those who are violent should be kept away from others, so they are not harmed.

How do you think nursing home staff should disipline a dementia patient who breaks residents belongings, and wanders in their rooms at all hours of the night? Should be reprimanded? Are nursing home staff doing enough?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Mišt
My mum works in a nursing home with dementia patients, they dont let them wander around all hours like that. The dementia patients have more attention given to where they are and what they're doing, so I dunno.....where did you read this by the way?confused

Makedde

Capt_Fantastic
I think I saw an epidose of SVU or AUV or CSI or SPCA or SUV or something that dealt with this.

K.Diddy
They should simply be seperated

a1hsauce
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I think I saw an epidose of SVU or AUV or CSI or SPCA or SUV or something that dealt with this. you mean ESPN big grin

Capt_Fantastic
Do I?

botankus
What is dementia? Is that like Bipolar?

debbiejo
More like Alzheimer's. Bipolar people are moody.....Everythings either black or white...No gray area.

botankus
Thanks. I'm not up-to-date on the latest jive in Nursing Home talk.

debbiejo
I know all the mental diseases.....I have interesting friends................ laughing out loud eek!

GCG
Originally posted by Makedde
After all, if a person with a mental illness raped or attacked someone, they would be charged, and jailed. I feel the same should be done for these patients.

Thats not a viable solution. Not by a long shot. Over here you are actually admitting that the offender has a mental illness, which in most cases is an irreversable one.

Offenders suffering from these forms of illnesses are referred to the respective hospitals and not charged when there is an already proven record of the mental illness prior to the assault.

I would feel that its the nurses responsability to ensure the safety of all the patients and have them charged in case of neglegience.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by debbiejo
I know all the mental diseases.....I have interesting friends................ laughing out loud eek!

You have most, dear.

debbiejo
How unkind of you.........

Fishy
If people have a history of doing stuff like that then they shouldn't be left out in the open without somebody watching them... Lock up if thats what it takes. Having a mental illness sucks for you, but its no excuse to let them hurt people.

and if they don't have the staff to keep watching the patients show them a DVD and set it on repeat. Its not like they will remember that they already saw the movie.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I think I saw an epidose of SVU or AUV or CSI or SPCA or SUV or something that dealt with this.
It was a really good episode. They had some guy with hemotolagnia and another Oedipus complex and eww all over the place. It was dark and gross and really disturbing.

My favorite episode.

Makedde
My aunt has dementia and I worry about her in her nursing home. The Government just ignores these homes when they plead for more State Funding, so if anyone is at fault, it's the Government.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by debbiejo
Bipolar people are moody.....Everythings either black or white...No gray area.

Actually, speaking presonally as someone who is bi-polar themselves, that sounds a bit misleading.... Being used to manic joy and hideous swings to hideous depression, (seeing all the hideousness stand out then all the beautiful things in the world just shine) I feel you overall get a better sense of the big picture and you CAN see/understand the grey area.
The wild swings are in emotion- Not IQ level...

You just cant feel elated when depressed or the other way round.
We are just a little extreme emotionally at times is all.

Incidentally, back to topic, my gf is an OT and works with dementia patients, and yes, sometimes the patients do do so mad things/ challenging things, but the staff really do try their hardest to stop any abuse/assaults of other patients by the dementia sufferers... Especially when the patient has a known history of say, sexual advances or violence as a part of their condition...

Makedde
Originally posted by Fishy

Good idea, but if only it were that easy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.