DC comics Rpg?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Avalonofthewind
An interesting article...it would be cool if it leads into the infinite crisis...

Jim Lee's Key DC Comics RPG Role
The Wildstorm king reveals close ties to the upcoming MMO.
by Jeremy Dunham

February 24, 2006 - Sony Online Entertainment and Jim Lee officially revealed today that the popular comic book collaborator has taken an important development role in the upcoming "DC Comics Online Project." Scheduled for release on the PC, PS3, and PSP at an undisclosed date, the comic-based MMO will benefit from Lee's role as Executive Creative Director and the creator's dual-experience as a comic book legend and frequent MMO player.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/691/691168p1.html

Blair Wind
wow...spelled backwards....is wow....Thats gonna be awesome.

DarkCrawler
PS3! Maybe this will make up for the fact that Superman Returns game isn't made to it. sad

Yay! I'm going to get this. You think there will be a monthly fee?

Juntai
I read about this a few days ago, I think I cheered aloud and shook my fist in victory..

Avalonofthewind
It would be cool to jump on the net with this game and multiplay with my fellow forum members. I hope it's a good game.

Juntai
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
It would be cool to jump on the net with this game and multiplay with my fellow forum members. I hope it's a good game. I'm there dude, in 2010 when it's done. Unless it's been underway and just been under wraps, then this isnt hitting anytime soon, average MMO takes about 4 years to build.

Magee
Release date is scheduled for late 2008, they have been working on it for a gd year now.

thesilverspider
I heard a Marvel one for The 360 is gonna be released on a earlier date......

pr1983
I really hope they allow us to create individual servers and so on...

i'd say there'll be a fee, but i don't think it'll be as high as the marvel rpg one, whatever that turns out to be...

Blair Wind
why would marvels cost more??

pr1983
Well from what i've seen, Marvel is alot more commercial than DC. DC would look at this with the attitude "If this kid really liked playing as Shazam maybe he'll buy the comic." Whereas marvel feel they don't need any publicity, and that they can charge what they like...

Marvel were the ones who sued City of Heroes, and went ballistic when city of heroes started using marvel characters. I didn't hear a peep out of dc, though i could be wrong...

wuTa
2008?! i want it now!! mad if you get to the options of being nightwing, arsenal, red hood, rayner(or all of the GL would best) i will have a seizure.....and i'm not sayin i want just one of them as a playable, i want them all.....i want the whole DC roster on this bad boy

Blair Wind
Im not sure they will give us the main characters. I mean you know how many people will want batman or superman? Im thinking they should make it more like City of heroes, but if you wanna be a green lantern well there you go, if you wanna be a meta, you pick a power type and things like that. If you wanna be a scrapper you get trained by batman. I dunno but Id be either a green lantern, a flash, a superman/wonderwoman type, or a prep guy.

Im thinking Green Lantern if they make it more than just "green bubbles"

pr1983
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Im not sure they will give us the main characters. I mean you know how many people will want batman or superman? Im thinking they should make it more like City of heroes, but if you wanna be a green lantern well there you go, if you wanna be a meta, you pick a power type and things like that. If you wanna be a scrapper you get trained by batman. I dunno but Id be either a green lantern, a flash, a superman/wonderwoman type, or a prep guy.

Im thinking Green Lantern if they make it more than just "green bubbles"

I'd want supes (obviously... stick out tongue), i think the whole 'individual servers' is a decent idea... though the levels would be huge...

The Ion
I'm definitely getting this game. It'd be cool if you could work your way into the real teams like JLA or Titans.

wuTa
i'm sure superman will be in it, him and batman, i'm just sayin i want a shite loud of playables to pick from, and the lesser known ones too, i want arsenal in the game but i'm not banking on it, nightwing should be in it, espicially since Lee is involved, he put Nightwing in a batman game he made but it was the Btas version of nightwing, i want Lee's version, like the one from Hush

pr1983
I'm sure they'd put all the canon characters in... i mean, if they didn't then honestly, why buy it over city of heroes?

Blair Wind
but would we all get to play the same characters? unless they made it where its more of a inividual story mode, there way too few "popular" characters like nightwing and kyle, to apease the masses of DC fans. I mean if you get nightwing, maybe I wanted nightwing. Then I go and cry because you have him and I dont. You see what I mean? (and no I will not cry, Ill just get a gl :evilsmile

you what I think would be awesome? you do what Ion said and join teams (with the main characters being computer controlled) but hey why not fight heroes as well (but you lose in points going to joining a team or something like that) or even the computered ones? I mean if happens like every other issue anyways.....

pr1983
but would we all get to play the same characters? unless they made it where its more of a inividual story mode, there way too few "popular" characters like nightwing and kyle, to apease the masses of DC fans. I mean if you get nightwing, maybe I wanted nightwing. Then I go and cry because you have him and I dont. You see what I mean? (and no I will not cry, Ill just get a gl :evilsmile

you what I think would be awesome? you do what Ion said and join teams (with the main characters being computer controlled) but hey why not fight heroes as well (but you lose in points going to joining a team or something like that) or even the computered ones? I mean if happens like every other issue anyways.....

thats why i said individual servers... say the guys on kmc get together and have a game... wuta gets to be nightwing, you get to be black adam and so on (assuming thats who you want), that way everyone gets to be the hero they want to be...

Blair Wind
eek! Black Adam would rock so hard....

Of course you would want supes stick out tongue

youd have to fight whirly and a million other people here.....

but that would be cool. Hey if Im still here (on KMC) by 2008 then hell ya lets get a group together....

pr1983
I dun mind, but supes'd be my first choice yeah... big grin

then you can make your own rules, choose what enemies to fight and so on...

The Ion
I think in an interview they said you'd have to make your own heroes, City of Heroes style and then you could go out and adventure with other people and/or the real heroes who would be CPU controlled.

Blair Wind
see.....thats what I thought. But with a million or so Green Lanterns there should be different planets to go to if you go that route. Or one of the characters that can go off planet (supes, WW, CM, BA)...hell they should just have off world missions period.

pr1983
Originally posted by The Ion
I think in an interview they said you'd have to make your own heroes, City of Heroes style and then you could go out and adventure with other people and/or the real heroes who would be CPU controlled.

Ouch... i prolly wouldn't buy it then...

wuTa
we need more info, damn these teasers!!

The Ion
see.....thats what I thought. But with a million or so Green Lanterns there should be different planets to go to if you go that route. Or one of the characters that can go off planet (supes, WW, CM, BA)...hell they should just have off world missions period.
Yeah its suppose to span the entire DCU and not just Earth so it's going to have places like Oa, Apokolips, New Genesis, etc, etc.

Blair Wind
i think im shit my pants with happiness.... are there any other websites other than the first one post on the thread?

wuTa
i've found two that said they are gonna try and get the game released in late 07

http://www.ferrago.com/portal/click/?id=322379

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/626/626820p1.html

The Ion
Lee even hints at in that IGN article.

When asked what he'd like to see ideally in the DC MMO when it's up off the ground, Lee replied, "This is off the top of my head and may not be in the game, but one of the cool things about the DC universe is that there are multiple earths and realities and there are a lot of things you could do by sending characters to multiple earths or time periods."

How cool would it be if you could adventure off into Hypertime and play in the Kingdom Come timeline or the old multiverse or the 31st century with the Legion of Super-Heroes? I'm really hoping this stuff comes together well.

wuTa
just thinking about what Lee can do with this game is gonna make me cream my pants

wuTa
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148312

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8308

smile

Blair Wind
wow.....effects of the game could effect actual comics...thats...wow

wuTa
i think DC will put the hammer down on that one, unless they start a specific comic book series that ties-in with the game

jrodslam
I cant wait. Id try to join the GL Corps.

Blair Wind
me too....

DarkCrawler
How cool would it be if you'd could time travel (In WoW, the expansion is going to have it, you can fight the battles you had in earlier Warcraft Games...like fight alongside Thrall or against Archimonde in BIG ass wars) and take part in legendary DC battles? Maybe help Superman against Doomsday? Batman against Joker? Or maybe have some large JLA/JSA battles you could take part in.

With 3rd generation consoles, the idea could be taken to another level...

Imagine, you walk on streets of Metropolis with your character (in disguise) when suddenly, "BAM!" Superman flies through the building in front of you, making a big hole and the building starts to collapse, endaring all the civilians around it. Superman can't catch his breath when Bizarro flies at him and starts to hammer him. Superman looks like he can't take much anymore.

You are given a choice: Will you change into your superhero costume and try to support the building to save the civilians, hoping that Superman can last until you (or some another hero) can help him? Or will you help Superman against Bizarro, hoping that the building will hold. Or...will you just run away.

There could be prizes and stuff if you'd succesfully do some of the options...

inamilist
god it sucks that SoE is making this

I've heard rumors that they are having trouble in the artistic dept. (look at eq 2, no style, just like clip art running around)

ya, thats cynical, but i have bad EQ memories... apparently galaxies suffered similar problems...

DarkCrawler
I played Galaxies for almost a year.

I ****ing hate SOE.

Xirius
If I can be on the KMC group for this game, Id like to officially call the role of Flash!!

Blair Wind
.....dude thats some dibs, 2 years in the future laughing out loud

inamilist
.....dude thats some dibs, 2 years in the future laughing out loud

ya, but there is no arguing with results

wuTa
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
How cool would it be if you'd could time travel (In WoW, the expansion is going to have it, you can fight the battles you had in earlier Warcraft Games...like fight alongside Thrall or against Archimonde in BIG ass wars) and take part in legendary DC battles? Maybe help Superman against Doomsday? Batman against Joker? Or maybe have some large JLA/JSA battles you could take part in.

With 3rd generation consoles, the idea could be taken to another level...

Imagine, you walk on streets of Metropolis with your character (in disguise) when suddenly, "BAM!" Superman flies through the building in front of you, making a big hole and the building starts to collapse, endaring all the civilians around it. Superman can't catch his breath when Bizarro flies at him and starts to hammer him. Superman looks like he can't take much anymore.

You are given a choice: Will you change into your superhero costume and try to support the building to save the civilians, hoping that Superman can last until you (or some another hero) can help him? Or will you help Superman against Bizarro, hoping that the building will hold. Or...will you just run away.

There could be prizes and stuff if you'd succesfully do some of the options...

or maybe you could become a bad guy and help bizzaro superman...how abouth these scenearios...imagine if you could stop the joker from blowing up jason todd, or YOU become batman's replacement in knightfall...

The Ion
Originally posted by inamilist
god it sucks that SoE is making this

I've heard rumors that they are having trouble in the artistic dept. (look at eq 2, no style, just like clip art running around)

ya, thats cynical, but i have bad EQ memories... apparently galaxies suffered similar problems...
Yeah, thats why Jim Lee being in charge of that department is such good news.

inamilist
Originally posted by The Ion
Yeah, thats why Jim Lee being in charge of that department is such good news.

absolutly

hopefully he gets the freedom he deserves for a project like this

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by Juntai
I'm there dude, in 2010 when it's done. Unless it's been underway and just been under wraps, then this isnt hitting anytime soon, average MMO takes about 4 years to build.

If it takes that long, it's all good...I'll still be there.

I'd love it if I could play as Electric Supes and wrestle Asmodel in the game.
Or pick any character and go up against Mageddon.
Imagine going around hunting people as LOBO.

big grin

ScarletSpider
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/01

wuTa
classic laughing

Blair Wind
I wonder if straight off the bat, they might let us play as badguys....

Femi32
I'd pick Darkseid and OE losers. Imagine having to restart everytime the OE hits you laughing

DarkCrawler
I wonder if straight off the bat, they might let us play as badguys....

If they want to introduce the PvP element straight away, then I guess.

Blair Wind
I still think they should allow heroes to fight eachother. Maybe you lose points in being able to join a team, but hey it would be cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.