Best Pitcher of All-time....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

flabmaster
Simple Question: Who do you think is the best pitcher of all-time?

Smasandian
Easy.

Cy Young.

BobbyD
Ha! That's funny. I know his stats were disgustingly good, and thus an award has been named after him. But, all kidding aside?....is not even in the top 10 all time.

Smasandian
Why?

forumcrew
Nolan Ryan?

BobbyD
Smasandian, honeslty....and I don't mean to offend you either. But, when this discussion usually comes up among experts past and present, I never hear his name.

Yes, Forumcrew...Nolan would definitely be a candidate.

flabmaster
Ever heard of Leroy "Satchel" Paige? Since he played in the Negro League, most of his stats are not recorded, but best estimates show 4 times as many wins as Young and 6 times as many no-hitters as Ryan and 4 or 5 times as many K's as Ryan. Also, a little side note, struck out 22 Major Leaguers in one game, including embarassing Ty Cobb(3 hits in a six game series) so bad he never played against blacks again.

forumcrew
satchel paige is definantly one of the greats

Darth Macabre
I don't think he's number one, but if Sandy Koufax didn't succumb to arthritis at 31, he would have been the best all time....In my opinion at least.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BobbyD
Smasandian, honeslty....and I don't mean to offend you either. But, when this discussion usually comes up among experts past and present, I never hear his name.

Yes, Forumcrew...Nolan would definitely be a candidate.

Dont want to be rude also, but who ****ing cares what "experts" say.
So why, hotshot, why wouldnt he be considering in the top 10? I want your opinion, not some expert. Dont you think the "experts" dont mention him because maybe, he played in the late 1800's?

2.63 ERA, .618 winning percentage (thats good considering he has played so many games). He's one of the greats.

Nolan Ryan? Are you kidding me? If you say he is, then how can you not say Cy Young isnt?

Cy Young beats him winning percentage. (Ryan has an winning percentage at .526). Young has 1 point less of an E.R.A (Ryan is at 3.57)
The only thing that Ryan has better than Young is KO's.
Dont get me wrong, Nolan Ryan was an amazing pitcher.

Another guy would be Walter Johnson.

I take back the easy part on my previous post due to the fact that its impossible to say who is the best. Baseball has been around for over 100 hundred years, and the game is played completly different than before.

forumcrew
i just like nolan ryan because he beat up robin ventura when he tried to charge the mound

GODSCRIBE
Nolan Ryan

BobbyD
Smasandian, you are entitled to your opinion. And, if you dislike what experts/historians and/or I think, that is fine also. Personally, I like when what I believe to be true, is also what experts believe to be true also....not that this makes me an expert. erm

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". wink

thesilverspider
Roger clemens mainly because he's the best in like what the last 20 years plus I never seen the other greats play sad.........

Smasandian
Originally posted by BobbyD
Smasandian, you are entitled to your opinion. And, if you dislike what experts/historians and/or I think, that is fine also. Personally, I like when what I believe to be true, is also what experts believe to be true also....not that this makes me an expert. erm

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". wink

So basically, if an expert says that whoever you think is the best is the best, you agree with him. Well obviously.

But really Nolan Ryan?

I just proven that Nolan Ryan was only considered the best because he has the most strikeouts.
The dude has 32 more wins the losses. That's not a good number for a guy who suppose to be the best pitcher in all of baseball. His E.R.A is 3.19, not another good number for the best pitcher of all of baseball.

All I'm saying is that if you consider Ryan to be one of the best, then you have consider Cy Young also.

Who is the best in your opinion, because you havnt said yet.

BobbyD
So basically, if an expert says that whoever you think is the best is the best, you agree with him. Well obviously.

This is not what I said, Smasandian. I said.....I like when what I believe is correct, also happens to be what experts believe to be true. Basically, I like when we're in agreement. NOT, when experts say something, I agree with them.

DigiMark007
Clemens is freaking dominant too...Nolan Ryan maybe...Satchel Paige is a sweet answer too. I really don't know though. If I needed a pitcher from any era to pitch TODAY, I'd pick Clemens in his prime and maybe Ryan in his prime. But for his era, Paige was probably better, or even guys like Cy Young and Koufax...it really depends on how you're scoring "best ever".

BuzzKiller
I believe for my money for the best of all time in any era I would have to select Walter Johnson. He has over 400 wins, 531 complette games, 110 shutouts, 2.17 era, 3509 strikeouts, and a 1.061 whip. These are staggering numbers for a career. He has to be mentioned as one of the all-time greatest if not the greatest pitcher of all time. Walter Johnson for greatest of all time.

Smasandian
I think its almost impossible to figure who's the best.

Unlike figuring who's the best home run hitter.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Smasandian
I think its almost impossible to figure who's the best.

Unlike figuring who's the best home run hitter.

Right, which would be Josh Gibson....by a landslide.

wink

Smasandian
Yeah......

flabmaster
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Right, which would be Josh Gibson....by a landslide.

wink

who else would it be?

Ruth, 714 at a max distance of 620? no
Bonds, 714 or so topping out around 500ft? no
Mays, 660? no
Aaron, 755 never over 50 in a season after 22 or so seasons?almost but no
Gibson, low estimates 850-900 at possibly 700 ft or farther, and dying at 35? no question there...case closed

Uconn4506
nolan ryan

guy222
Originally posted by flabmaster
Simple Question: Who do you think is the best pitcher of all-time?

Roger Clemons

Nellinator
Walter Johnson. He hit over .400 and was the probably the best pitcher too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.