Why didn't Sidious....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General G
Why didn't the Emperor (Sidious) just float back up the shaft when he was thrown off? he could have taken out Luke and Anakin (Vader) because they were both extremely weak. I am pretty sure he is powerful enough to float himself up. And he wasn't caught off guard or by surprise because Vader/Anakin was holding him in the air for quite a while.

Sesse
Yeah sure. He might be powerful enough to levitate HIMSELF against the gravity...

Anakin might have given him some force push to "speed him away"... =P

Captain REX
Yeeeah, he's not Neo.

Tangible God
Wasn't he himself zapped by his own lightning? That would SHOCK me into falling down an energy shaft.

Arker
No, he was pointing it down towards Vader.

And yeah, he isn't Neo.

Tangible God
I just watched ROTJ, and, if he isn't zappin' himself, why the hell's he screaming bloody Mary?

Blaxican_Jedi
'cause hes a senile old man and they like to yell when they dont get their way.

Knightfall93
Because it's a bad ass film and the prequels ruin it by making the Force users into Neos...

steverules
He was pointing it at vader, thats why vader died. I don't see how vader having his hand cut of would kill him. Maybe palps got hit by a bit of lightning.

Darth Subjekt
really? I was always under the impression that he died mainly from switching back to the Lightside. And the lightning just helped push it along. I remember hearing something about that when i was like 16 or 17...so thats been a few years.

Arker
Vader dies because he was directly hit by lightning.

Darth Traya
Yeah, it frazzles his cricuitry.

Red Superfly
Because he needed to die to finish the movie.

End of discussion.

Sesse
Perhaps "Vader" died because he had "lost his will to live"?

Padme was choked and afterwards she lost her will to live as Anakin became evil. As Anakin noticed that Padme died, he became furious and remained Vader.

Darth Vader lost a limb and soon after he lost his will to live as Luke remained good. As Vader noticed that Luke stayed good, he lost his anger and became Anakin.

No. Seriously.

Mindtricks seem to be a source of never-ending pranks. As Qui Gon showed us. Conning a submersible + hapless guide with it (Jarjar). Conning a hyperdrive from watto with some betting business. And finally conning Obi1 to train Anakin as his "death wish".

Conman, I would say?

Arker
EDIT: Never mind.

Ganner Rhysode
Er, since when can Palpatine fly at all? o_O WTF.

Tangible God
I think they mean levitate.

But still, he couldn't, because he got hit by his own lightning.

Xam
funny he can jump around in ROTS but in ROTJ he gets picked up by vader n just thrown in lmao funny to me

Tangible God
Exactly, he was too surprised and caught off guard by being zapped.

SpyCspider
becasue in the OT, i don't think we're supposed to think Jedi and Sith were supermen...they're knights and warriors (Luke, Obi, Darth) and some sorcerers (Emperor) but not kungfu artists. That's why the TPM fight scene was like "whoa" (Neo).

Fact that Palpatine just shrieked as he was lifted and all he could do was shoot lightning at Vader is inconsistent to what we know he can do in ROTS.

Sesse
Perhaps he too was getting weaker. 20 years in luxury tends to do this...

kanis
vampire That's true all he did was sit on his throne on coruscant or where ever and looked evil and if someone was about to throw me down an shaft i would be screaming my head off as well.

roughrider
He was a lot older, and wasting away on a throne for decades. Anyway, it's Jedi in the prime of their life that can use the force to jump superhuman heights, and use it to slow their falls or jumps - like when Qui-Gon leaped a killer height down to continue battling Darth Maul.
Yoda, by the end of ROTS, was so weakened he could barely stop his own fall, and only just managed to soften it up enough not to be killed. That was likely his last ever day of fighting and jumping, which is why he doesn't do it in the OT.
Even Palpatine during his fight with Yoda, was apprehensive about falling in the senate, so who knows. Anakin/Vader could have used all the will he had left in the force, to throw Palpatine and make sure he crashed into something explosive, so he died for sure.

Tangible God
It's all been said, but w/e.

Yeap, Palpatine was pushing 70 at least and had been wasting away without much action for some 23 years.

Combine that with the shock of being betrayed at the last minute, zapping himself with his own lightning, and knowing that hurtling toward a pool of energy, he wouldn't have it in him to "fly" away, despite never being able to fly in the first place.

Also, people seem to forget that every time we see a Jedi or Sith jump, he's PUSHING OFF something. What would Palpatine be pushing off of if he's falling head first downwards?

Sesse
Originally posted by Tangible God
It's all been said, but w/e.

Also, people seem to forget that every time we see a Jedi or Sith jump, he's PUSHING OFF something. What would Palpatine be pushing off of if he's falling head first downwards?

He could have used the force the push the deathstar away from himself so fast that he would end up back to the pits edge? eek!

Or..

No, Nope no not... confused

Darth Acheous
hes old and worn out plus he was probably overwhelmed with being thrown by his own apprentice. if myapprentice threw me down an energy shaft id be like what the ****

plus tibannagas is probably not breathable y dont u try floatin wincant breathe

Darth Vious
Even thought the Jedi and Sith could use the Force to boost their jumps beyond what would physically be possible, they were never shown to levitate. Even in Clone Wars, Dooku only descended slowly towards Assaj, he didn't actually rise up through means of the Force. As for Vader's death, he died because when the Emperor's Force lightning hit him, it shorted out the lifesupport systems. Palpatine even threatened that he could do so in RODV, although Vader was not afraid of the threat.

Razielim
Guys, Palpatine was addicted to the Dark Side. He spent many years uncovering Sith secrets, artifacts and techniques all across the Galaxy. He has all the scraps from the Jedi Temple accounted for, and he wrote two huge Encyclopedias on the Dark Side and trained (if counting EU) dozens of Dark Jedi.

He was far more powerful than RotS Palpatine.

DarthMaul9123
Vader really died because luke removed his helmet, im not saying he would forshizzle live, but uh.. the rebs might have helped if luke could talk him into it.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by DarthMaul9123
Vader really died because luke removed his helmet, im not saying he would forshizzle live, but uh.. the rebs might have helped if luke could talk him into it.
Ultimately, yes. Anakin Skywalker died of suffocation due to the failure of his life support systems (and removal of his mask) As soon as Vader fell back from throwing Palpatine down the shaft, the sound of his breathing was totally different, and clealy malfunctioning. The removal of the mask was the 'last straw', so to speak. It's doubtfull he would have survived even if Luke had got him off the Death Star, as Rebel Doctors would most likely have refused to treat him, and if Luke used the Jedi Mind Trick to influence them, that influence might have impeded their medical judgement. It's probably best that things went down the way they did.

Sesse
Dont they have somekind of a Yodacrates oath that forbids them to leave anyone without a treatment?

Darth Vious
Who knows, this was afterall a long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away... Standards might've moved on since then wink

chinabing
Originally posted by Darth Vious
Who knows, this was afterall a long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away.

DID YOU KNOW: Roger Ebert says Star Wars actually happens in the present.

Since the movie actually begins with the "long time ago" line, it's being told to us now, at the present time. All the lightsabers & deathstar stories are all padding to the narrator who's telling us it happened a long time ago.

So it's actually been a story within a story all this time!

First time I heard this I said "you just blew my mind."

Darth Vious
Originally posted by chinabing
DID YOU KNOW: Roger Ebert says Star Wars actually happens in the present.

Since the movie actually begins with the "long time ago" line, it's being told to us now, at the present time. All the lightsabers & deathstar stories are all padding to the narrator who's telling us it happened a long time ago.

So it's actually been a story within a story all this time!

First time I heard this I said "you just blew my mind."
For it to be narrated, it had to have already happened...

chinabing
For it to be narrated, it had to have already happened... It did happen. The actual movie is where they say "a long time ago..." The skywalker stuff is just filling.

It's like Lucas is opening up a book and reading to us . . . like the Grandpa did in "The Princess Bride." The "long time ago" line is equal to Peter Falk reading to that wonder years kid.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by chinabing
It did happen. The actual movie is where they say "a long time ago..." The skywalker stuff is just filling.

It's like Lucas is opening up a book and reading to us . . . like the Grandpa did in "The Princess Bride." The "long time ago" line is equal to Peter Falk reading to that wonder years kid.
So how can any of it be happening 'now'?

Sesse
Because Sidious took a nice peek into his crystall ball and recorded it all into a holocron. The thing was sent to a safe place. But instead of reaching it, it crashed here on Earth. Roswell. Those 2 duros, who were guarding the holocron were killed instantly in the crash.

The government found the ship and took the holocrons from it. A young marine was given an important task to deliver the holocron for immediate disposal. However, sergeant Lucas kept the holocron and gave it to his son, George... Well, the rest is history.

George was born in 14. may 1944, Modesto, California
Roswell incident happened in June 24, 1947

Satisfied?

chinabing
So how can any of it be happening 'now'? Because of the present tense of the "long time ago" line.

There are actually two time periods in a Star Wars movie. The present, when the "A long time ago" line appears, and the past, with Vader & Chewie, et all. The movie doesn't start with the SW fanfare, it starts with "a long time ago."

So when somebody asks you at what time did Star Wars take place, you can correctly say "The present."

Sesse
I just told you the truth... And Nobody believed?

Yours truly: Colonel Sesse. Area 51. nevada.... Your loss.

NineCoronas
Vader died from the lightning. There is a site somewhere discussing this, but if you notice in the movie, you see his bones glowing from the heat of the electricity.

FinalFantsyLord
Mayb wat happened was that when the film was m8 ages ago they didnt have the tech 2 make Sidious jump bout like it ROTH

Darth Vious
Originally posted by NineCoronas
Vader died from the lightning. There is a site somewhere discussing this, but if you notice in the movie, you see his bones glowing from the heat of the electricity.
Yes, his bones were glowing, but the site concluded that the immediate cause of Anakin's death was suffocation from the failure of his life support systems (because of the Force lightning), not the effect of the Force lightning on his organic parts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.