The Death of Death. (Immortality) Would you want to live forever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Or for a time longer than humanly possible? Like say 200 years? Or not.

Atlantis001
It could be useful if we need to still accomplish some thing here, like to fulfill a dream or live some experience, if we left something undone, but it would be foolish to use that to just continue to live to pertuate human stupidity. It is just fear of change. It it will cease evolution, we will live in a frozen state of evolution forever seeing everything beyond evolving, as we live forever in fear of death.

shaber
Yes, someone on a nightly radio talk show who puroprted to have a qualification of some kind on this subject said that the technology for removing the DNA responsible for necrotising is not radically advanced.

Mindship
I'd like to live for as long as I want to.

Deano
we are infinite conciousness

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Deano

But the question to that is will we as individuals be conscious (awake) during our time we are part of this "infinite conscious" of ours after our physical bodies die?

Atlantis001
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
But the question to that is will we as individuals be conscious (awake) during our time we are part of this "infinite conscious" of ours after our physical bodies die?

I think that depends on the individual, maybe some who are aware enough will, and some will not.

Storm
To me, immortality is not desirable.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Storm

Why not?

Morgoths_Wrath
Why not?

what happens when the sun burns out, and the planet earth as we know it is destroyed

THEN what are we supposed to do? float around in space for eternity?

K.Diddy

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
what happens when the sun burns out, and the planet earth as we know it is destroyed

The sun isn't due to kick the galactic bucket for another (estimated) 5 billion years. You must think real low of the human race to think that within 5 billion years planet Earth will be our only home. Or that interstellar space travel won't happen.

And we've already been floating around in space since the beginning anyway, right. On planet Earth. Open your mind or crack it at least.

Mindship

The thinking is: the body dies, the ego dies. The soul--as an individual consciousness buried deep within our bodies/egos--is liberated, but this individual type of consciousness would not be like our current egoic awareness.

Imagine that a cell in your body gains some foreknowledge: that in dying, its individual consciousness would expand until it became You, Your Consciousness. Would it want to live forever?

_Sanctuary_

omaga
Originally posted by Deano

What he said big grin

Echuu
Or for a time longer than humanly possible? Like say 200 years? Or not.

I wouldn't mind living a little longer than normal.. maybe 90-110 years. But only if my body wasn't completely racked with diseases and so forth.

Immortality? No thanks.

Deano
The sun isn't due to kick the galactic bucket for another (estimated) 5 billion years. You must think real low of the human race to think that within 5 billion years planet Earth will be our only home. Or that interstellar space travel won't happen.

And we've already been floating around in space since the beginning anyway, right. On planet Earth. Open your mind or crack it at least.

exactly, by that time, humans(if we still exist) will have the technology to go to other planets. and thats what we will do when out planet becomes unsuitable.

Deano
Originally posted by Atlantis001
I think that depends on the individual, maybe some who are aware enough will, and some will not.

yes you can create whatever reality you want to. depends on if all of the human race can wake up to the prison we are in. we are suppressed at being fully dimensional beings, at this moment in time anyway. we have to escape from the emotional prisons thats enslaved us for so long. only then can we tap into the infinite

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath

So you float around space, until you enter the gravitational pull of a Planet, Star, Comet, etc. Then you just live there for the rest of eternity. Except the star part....Because I think you might be dead.

Fishy
You wouldn't die in the star because you would be immortal you would just burn for your entire live and be in more pain then you can even imagine...

Anyways, I would be happy to die at around 70 or something. Immortality is something that would completely destroy life. And its meaning, it would ruin everything special about it and it would make everything. No thanks give me a short time instead of an eternity, at least I can enjoy my time now.

Pandemoniac
As said, it depends on how in which condition you can live those extra years. If I could be 20 years old for 50 years long, I'll take that offer! Even eternity seems almost appealing if it can be spend while being at your prime (almost).
In reality I am quite afraid of old age, with all the burdens, physical and mental disadvantages that come with it. I fear the prospect of not being able to do what grants me pleasure now, to need to depend on medicine and wheelchairs, to forget my sisters name, to crap my pants and have a nurse I would date at this age wipe my ass while she thinks of me as just another old dude. If another 20 years added to my life will consist of that, I'll pass.
After all, we all want to get old, but nobody wants to be it.

The Overmaster
I would like to be immortal, i would travel the universe and see all there is to see in it, then i would plot a course for a black hole and see what happens...

lil bitchiness
No. The idea of having to live forever seems like more of a curse than a gift. unless there are people who are like me, I would be very lonely. Besides, the idea of living and watching your loved ones grow old and die one by one, would probably emotionally destroy me.

The life is so beautiful because its NOT forever.

leonheartmm
some people's lives are like death as it is.

crazylozer
Where would the adrenaline come from if life wasn't short and precious? I'll take my 70 years.

LethalFemme
I wouldn't mind dieing and then being reborn that would be cool yes

Mindship
If you're gonna have an infinitely-long lifespan, then you also better have infinite patience and infinite mental flexibility...cuz if you don't, then seeing how everything else around you is gonna change, sooner or later you're gonna wish you were dead.

Darth Nepulis
I don't even want to live another 6 months, so forever? Hell no.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Darth Nepulis

whoa.. lol

Traya
If I had other people to be immortal with, then sure, sign me up...

redcaped
Spend more time to meditate...asking someone won't help. Sometimes someone is another you or simply nothing...you have the answer and so you act before knowing the answer.

thorncrawler
id rather live young and die happy than just continue!

Tangible God
I'd go for like a 1000 years. But stay young though. If I went forever I'd be shitting myself in wondering if I'd die with the Earth.

The Overmaster
Originally posted by Darth Nepulis

You know, i fell like that too, but the only reason i feel that way is because, i feel restricted by life. Anything that I would accomplish in a regular life would disappear over time.

However, if i was given the chance to be infinite like time, then I would enjoy living because i could do anything!

First, I would wait until cybernetics reached its apex, then i'd go for some enhancements, i'd want to keep some parts natural so i could pass my seed. Also, since I'm cybernetic, I could download all the info humans have at that time, biology, mathematic, etc.

Then, I could butcher humanity to the near point of extinction and then 'disappear' for a few years. Hopefully I would have done enough damage to revert humanity back to the stone age.

After I return to see what I have wrought, I would introduce myself as a god (considering the fact that I would be vastly superior to any human alive at that time, mind and body).

I would also make a few kids and send them out into the world as my avatars. I would tell the people I will return when the Earth makes its thousandth rotation around the Sun. I would make sure, the people make statues and such for me before i leave of course.

Then, I would take a ship to mars or the moon and make a nice fortress/castle, complete with machine guards that are controlled by a 'symbiosis chip' implanted into my brain.

After all those years, I would return to see whats become of my bloodline...(the rest of what I'd do pretty lengthy, but the possibilities are now really endless now that I have infinite time.)

Tangible God
Woah.

The Overmaster
Originally posted by Tangible God
Woah.

i suppose thats as good a reaction as any

Darth Nepulis
I think the death of death is reincarnation.

Tangible God
What about when there's nothing left to be reincarnated into?

Blaxican_Hydra
IF we had immortality than law and order as we know it would be destroyed. Criminals and thrill seekers can run amuk, not fearing death at the hands of law enforcement, people would rape, murder, steal, jump off of high objects, and they would be unstoppable. The only thing keeping the rest of the world off America's ass is their fear of getting bombed to hell, and even that is changing. If none of us died, we would have no fear of bombs and guns.

Tangible God
I think your confusing immortality with invincibility.

Blaxican_Hydra
Actually I was talking under the assumption that if one could survive floating in a sun he could survive a bullet or a nuclear bomb, which is only a fraction of the power of a sun.

Tangible God
No matter how immortal you may be, I doubt you'd survive even an axe to the neck, never mind 6000 degrees.

Blaxican_Hydra
I agree. I was just basing that comment on what others said, so dont hurt me.

Janus Marius
Originally posted by Traya
If I had other people to be immortal with, then sure, sign me up...

I second this.

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
i wouldnt mind living forever if it meant my body wouldnt change too dramatically, but other wise no i wouldnt want to.

whats the point of not dying if u cant functino because ur body has grown too old to do anything

Penelope
If every single person had to live forever, it would definately create many problems on earth. Many new laws would need to be established and also theres the problem with overpopulation.

Regret
I could handle immortality as long as other people still died. I think that death is part of what maintains our economy and social system. If everyone were immortal it would serious play havoc on the social structure, economy and governments that exist. Now if I were the only immortal, and others were unaware of the fact, then I would be able to manipulate these systems to attempt to produce the most benefit to the human race. I would undoubtedly fail. All the same, immortality of a single individual, or a rather small number of individuals, should increase the relative value of human life for those immortals. They should become greater humanitarians. The opposite is also entirely possible. Immortality could lead to a higher level of polarization, man would become more good, or more evil. Choices would eventually be mad based on extreme reasoning. Or perhaps apathy would begin to occur, another extreme.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.