Most interesting period of time and why.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DE Calvin
This is the unofficial first thread of a new history forum. What time period of recorded history was most the most interesting, and has the greatest effect on modern times, and why?

Bardock42
The Classics in my opinion. Especially Greek History ....very nice indeed.

zod360
I've got to go with Bardock.

Wesker
Most interesting? Probably the Enlightenment era. It was a virtual rebirth of science and classic philosophy, and the Age of Sail was really interesting. I've always loved that kind of thing.

As for which era had the most effect on modern times, it would be the beginning of colonialism. It's basically reshaped the world entirely.

DE Calvin
I would say that the Renaissance of Medieval Italy had the greatest effect on modern times, because of the rediscovery od Aristotle, and the recovery of many other great Roman/Greek Philosophies made Capitalism possible.

Capt_Fantastic
I would have to say the rapture was the most interesting period in history. It was really great to see those heathens get what had been coming to them.

Wesker
You say that like Capitalism is a great system, like human beings would be wallowing in their own crap without it.

I don't think the prexisting feudal system was that great, but we're no better off exchanging barons for bankers. The rise of the middle class kinda bugs me. Also, the expanding on cities made possible some of the worst outbreaks in history.

While we're in Renaissance Italy, anyone else think that Machiavelli was a kissass?

Wesker
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I would have to say the rapture was the most interesting period in history. It was really great to see those heathens get what had been coming to them.

The rapture? And which heathens are we talking about now?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Wesker
The rapture? And which heathens are we talking about now?

Are you denying the rapture?

(You must be new...It's a joke.)

Wesker
I was going to make a witty remark, but I don't frequent this section... Might make someone angry and I don't have any embassies to burn.

DE Calvin
Machiavelli was a kissass, but he was smart nonetheless.

Atlantis001
The ancient times, the birth of the first civilizations. Mesopotamia in Middle Eastern, India in the Indus Valley, and Egypt.

Which other civilizations spread from them... Babylon, Sumeria, Hitites Assyrians, Akkadians, etc.. how culture, and religion descend from each other. Which elements of the ancient religions were incorporated in christianism, and how these culture spread into chirstianism. Which other unknow influences cultures could have on each other.

DE Calvin
I think we could still be here today if it weren't for religion, and possibly better off.

Wesker
History does build on itself, that I do agree on. But ancient ancient history based out of the cradle of civilization would be boring to me. A history period in which there is little history (Especially written) would be boring.

Machiavelli had a keen understanding of politics, but I wouldn't call him smart. He wrote his works and dedicated them to one of the evillest and most narrowminded families in European history- the Medicis. We can thank them for the corruption of the Bourban family.

Morgoths_Wrath

Wesker
Originally posted by DE Calvin
I think we could still be here today if it weren't for religion, and possibly better off.

Some argue that the brain is hard-wired for religion, but most socio-political philosophers argue that some sort of noble lie is neccessary.

DE Calvin
I had always had a fascination with the Californian Gold Rush, but I do not know why. I always wanted to be in it.

Morgoths_Wrath
Some argue that the brain is hard-wired for religion, but most socio-political philosophers argue that some sort of noble lie is neccessary.

true.

one could argue that it's not the religion that's bad, but the people who misinterpret it. but then again, it's much more complicated than that.

DE Calvin
Probably trhe age of christ was the most influential.

Capt_Fantastic

I would venture that it wasn't as influential as it was misunderstood and misrepresented.

Morgoths_Wrath

Defiantly

Jesus Christ and the Roman Empire had the biggest influence.

DE Calvin
I would venture that it wasn't as influential as it was misunderstood and misrepresented.
How can it be misunderstood, if we know little about it?

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
Defiantly

Jesus Christ and the Roman Empire had the biggest influence.

at least in Western culture...

Question: What's the most interesting NON-Western time period?

Wesker
Edo Period, or perhaps the Sengoku Jedai period. But I could be bias, damn Last Samurai.

Capt_Fantastic
How can it be misunderstood, if we know little about it?

I didn't say we didn't know anything about it. I said people misrepresent it.

Atlantis001

Possibly, but it is interesting to know the fundations of something that always had so much influence on people.

Wesker
Lots of ideas make the foundation of the world today, but that doesn't mean they're all neccessary or good.

Bardock42
Lots of ideas make the foundation of the world today, but that doesn't mean they're all neccessary or good.

I agree...although I think the most important in my opinion, Liberalism is certainly pretty good.

debbiejo
Are you denying the rapture?

(You must be new...It's a joke.) We missed it ...It was invisible along with the 2nd coming in 1844.

Though I always liked early Egyptian, Medieval, and the Renaissance periods..........Oh, oh and Atlantian too. wink

DE Calvin
no expression

eggmayo
I'd say the most influencial was the Industrial Revolution.. birth of machinery and hence the entire modern world.

shaber
Twentieth Century was the time of greatest global upheaval.

DE Calvin
Originally posted by shaber
Twentieth Century was the time of greatest global upheaval.
That would be considered modern times no expression ninja

Captain REX
I support it...

Morgoths_Wrath
That would be considered modern times no expression ninja

so?

DE Calvin
This is the unofficial first thread of a new history forum. What time period of recorded history was most the most interesting, and has the greatest effect on modern times, and why?

Morgoths_Wrath

gotcha

but take note that we don't live in the modern era, but postmodern

DE Calvin
gotcha

but take note that we don't live in the modern era, but postmodern
Ummm.. Yes, we do live in the modern era. no expression

Morgoths_Wrath
Ummm.. Yes, we do live in the modern era. no expression

I thought it was postmodern

eggmayo
Most interesting I would probably say was 1900-1950 and the two world wars.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by eggmayo
Most interesting I would probably say was 1900-1950 and the two world wars.

not sure what that's claled

DE Calvin
Yes. Even though it's not a "Time period" The Nuremburg Trials where very important and shaped alot of things.

Blaxican_Jedi
Originally posted by eggmayo
I'd say the most influencial was the Industrial Revolution.. birth of machinery and hence the entire modern world.

I second that, I think it would be only a matter of time before we came to rely on machinery more than wood and such, but if we didn't have the revolution we might be quite a bit more behind technology wise. Although the ozone layer wouldn't be as screwed up...

Deano
the year that lightning struck the clock tower

Inspectah Deck

Circa Med-Ages

All the technology, battles and new discoveries are really interesting

Akechi Misuhide
The ancients and the height of the Roman empire have always fansinated me. Even to this day traces of the Roman Empire still exist, such is the testiment to how powerful the impact the Empire had.

meep-meep
I'd say: no time like the present...

Da preacher
I'd say the Classics.

Then I'd definately say the Conquista of America by the Spanish, now that was interesting.

Blaxican_Jedi
I always liked the dark ages, I thought them quite interesting. i still am intrested in the castles in Ireland, and their histories. Some of the battles are amazing, unfortunately Lord of the rings made a stereo type of it...

Inspectah Deck
Feudal Japan had some good times

DE Calvin
Why, and how?

Quiero Mota
Ancient: The Classics

Middle Ages: The Ming Dynasty

Recent: 1920's America

DE Calvin
Why, and how?

Quiero Mota
Why, and how?

I like the 1920's because of the music, black poetry, the fact that Feds actually got shit done, and I definately wouldve been a rum-runner because of prohibition.

And also, Al Capone is one my favorite figures from the 20th century. Zoot suits, fidoras, Caddies, and Tommy guns; he was a G with style.

Imaginary
I thought it was postmodern

It is postmodern. From the 60's onwards it became the postmodern period.

That being said, the modern era.

DE Calvin
Why, and how?

Inspectah Deck
Why, and how?

The battles/wars that were going were very interesting

And the fact that they made gunpowder and other helpful inventions are a plus

WrathfulDwarf
For me, The Present.

Why? Because I'm living it.

Jedi Priestess
Egyptian, Roman and Greek histories are of most interest to me.

Fishy
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
For me, The Present.

Why? Because I'm living it.

The present is boring, we don't know all the important things that are happening and are focusing to much on the unimportant stuff like Paris Hilton her new hand bag.

Most interesting time IMO The rise of the Roman Empire, the fall is a lot less interesting if you ask me, what came after that is very interesting though.

Morgoths_Wrath
this thread should be moved to the history forum

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
the most interesting time? probably the beggining of everything, since its such a disputed topic.

Harring_Believe
The fact that over half of you dislike certain parts of time is rather disturbing. But i must say that the rapture was fascinating. The crazy old man was actually right.
I obviously love the period of Christ. I also am intrigued by Ancient Greece, a time which brought so much to our world; and Cleopatra, (in my opinion) the most powerful and amazing woman in history. I wish i could visit the period of stonehenge so i could know how one of the most amazing world wonders was created. And the Great wall of china.

Lord Lucien
You would die of ancient diseases before you could start studying. And what the hell, the Rapture already happened? Did I sleep it through it?

jinXed by JaNx
Ancient Egypt

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Harring_Believe
The fact that over half of you dislike certain parts of time is rather disturbing. But i must say that the rapture was fascinating. The crazy old man was actually right.
I obviously love the period of Christ. I also am intrigued by Ancient Greece, a time which brought so much to our world; and Cleopatra, (in my opinion) the most powerful and amazing woman in history. I wish i could visit the period of stonehenge so i could know how one of the most amazing world wonders was created. And the Great wall of china.
Ancient Greece is a period of like...a thousand years. And Cleopatra wasn't even part of it.

Shakyamunison
The future. big grin

inimalist
generally, sort of the period from 50 000 to 20 000ish years ago

Digi
The present, by FAR, unless we're allowed to cheat and say "the future" like inamilist. We'd hate living in or dealing only with any one other time period, and most time periods would flip their **** to have half the things we do today.

inimalist
I didn't say the future.... I'm far more interested in the origins of modern human society ~30000 years ago than the future...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Digi
The present, by FAR, unless we're allowed to cheat and say "the future" like inamilist. We'd hate living in or dealing only with any one other time period, and most time periods would flip their **** to have half the things we do today.

It was I who said the future. If you saw my art work, you would understand. stick out tongue

siriuswriter
I have a penchant for the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, especially in England. I tend to choose history for the people of the period.

Like in the fifteenth century, the rise of the Borgia family, and how the Cardinal became Pope Innocent, how his sons manipulated each other and were manipulated by their father, the young Lucrezia Borgia and how she was forced to be a pawn in her father's political conquests...

And then I jump over to England for Henry VIII's reign, and how all of that was steeped with ultimate powers, and how ridiculous Henry's life and demands really were. The time when he died, leaving sickly Edward on the throne, and then Lady Jane was forced to become Queen in order to keep the country Protestant, then Mary took over, and there was an Inquisition of sorts in England, all the conversos that had fled to England from Spain and the Spanish Inquisition, and then, of course Elizabeth I's reign, and all the things that happened therein.

ADarksideJedi
The Pirate time becacuse that was when it exciting and horrible at the same time.

rudester
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
The Pirate time becacuse that was when it exciting and horrible at the same time.

At that same time, scurvy and smallpox, scarlet fever were rampant, no equality for women and johnny depp types probably didnt exsist.

Omega Vision
I don't know, if you're a King or an Emperor then there are lots of points in the past that would be very interesting.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I don't know, if you're a King or an Emperor then there are lots of points in the past that would be very interesting. Not without a toothbrush they wouldn't be.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Not without a toothbrush they wouldn't be.
i said interesting, not long or painless.

Lord Lucien
I don't like pain.

lil bitchiness
Ancient Persia as well as Babylon would be mega interesting. Ancient Egypt too.

I wonder what would Persians, Babylonians and Ancient Egyptians think of us now....?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Ancient Persia as well as Babylon would be mega interesting. Ancient Egypt too.

I wonder what would Persians, Babylonians and Ancient Egyptians think of us now....?
They'd be confused why Western Europe was rebuilt after WW2 rather than being salted and its inhabitants sold into slavery.

They'd also think we're mega-prudes for our ideas toward sexuality.

No word for virgin in the Ancient Egyptian language ftw.

Bardock42
They'd be confused why Western Europe was rebuilt after WW2 rather than being salted and its inhabitants sold into slavery.

That's good, cause the word "virgin" makes no sense.

Omega Vision
I disagree with the idea that Ancient Egypt, Persia, Babylon, etc would be "interesting"...again unless you happen to be a King or High Priest. Otherwise it would be a miserable, short, dull life of hard labor and disease.

Of course something needs to be clarified. Are we talking "most interesting time to live in" or "most interesting time to visit"?

inimalist
or "most interesting to learn about"

Bardock42
Or "most interesting in a fight against and army of bears"

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by rudester
At that same time, scurvy and smallpox, scarlet fever were rampant, no equality for women and johnny depp types probably didnt exsist.

I am aware of all that. I am into pirates so that is the reason. I also had scarlet faver when I was a baby so that exist even in the eightys.

Harring_Believe
Ancient Greece is a period of like...a thousand years. And Cleopatra wasn't even part of it.

No duh! stick out tongue But Greece shaped our modern world. And cleopatra was from Greece but became queen of Egypt. i never said they were the same. I merely said I like both.

lil bitchiness

I didn't put that properly...I was more thinking of their respective countries. What would Persians think of Iran now, or what would Ancient Egyptians think of Egypt...

I disagree with the idea that Ancient Egypt, Persia, Babylon, etc would be "interesting"...again unless you happen to be a King or High Priest. Otherwise it would be a miserable, short, dull life of hard labor and disease.

Of course something needs to be clarified. Are we talking "most interesting time to live in" or "most interesting time to visit"?

I don't know...

Persians were pretty enlightened people at the time. In any case, I'd pick Persia or Egypt over savage forest people of Germany at the time...or even Incas.

Although I think India or China would have been good. Ok, maybe not ancient China that much, but India would have been fun...ner.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I didn't put that properly...I was more thinking of their respective countries. What would Persians think of Iran now, or what would Ancient Egyptians think of Egypt...
Persia would wonder why Iranians are worshipping an Arab God and why they haven't made good on their threats toward Israel.

The Egyptians would wonder why the Pharaoh is in an iron cage and his general is in charge. stick out tongue

LincolnDark
Originally posted by Bardock42
The Classics in my opinion. Especially Greek History ....very nice indeed.

0mega Spawn
feudal japan & ancient china.

WHY?

jhUkGIsKvn0

of course cool

Robtard
10/6/1973 to present.

0mega Spawn
slave trade so i could save my people cool

Robtard
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn

http://technostudies.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/kunta-kinte-5.jpg

0mega Spawn
i wouldn't get caught... im sure of it

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn

Slave is the one who waits to be freed. ~ Ezra Pound

0mega Spawn
ye fk that no expression

want my freedom ASAP

majid86
I would say that the most interesting period is when FINALLY the White British majority in the UK will become an ethnic minority in 30 years time.

Omega Vision
Lol, way not to give them the power.

They definitely don't have a free space in your head.

Stoic
I personally think that the time that we are living in right now is the most interesting time ever. It's a time that has many unknowns. The world may become a one world government, with the idea of walking towards a Utopian type of society, or it could become a chaotic mess where war and famine dictate the outcome of who survives, and who does not. In my opinion, what makes it the most interesting time, is the unknown. Up or down, forward or backward, it's up to us.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Stoic
I personally think that the time that we are living in right now is the most interesting time ever. It's a time that has many unknowns. The world may become a one world government, with the idea of walking towards a Utopian type of society, or it could become a chaotic mess where war and famine dictate the outcome of who survives, and who does not. In my opinion, what makes it the most interesting time, is the unknown. Up or down, forward or backward, it's up to us. Eh, that's kind of a cop-out answer. We can look at the current time with future-gazing eyes, whereas we know about the past. There's fun in predictions that isn't there for retrospection. If we were late 18th or 19th century people asking the thread's question, we'd feel the exact same way. "There's so many unknowns" in the French and American Revolution and rise of industrialism, or "so many unknowns" in the rise of imperialism and the arms race in Europe.

Everyone thinks their own time is the most important/interesting/meaningful.

Omega Vision
It's a time that has many unknowns.
As opposed to the times when there was such thing as white spaces on maps filled by "Here Be Dragons"?

Lord Lucien
As opposed to the times when there was such thing as white spaces on maps filled by "Here Be Dragons"? We can thank a bunch of Caribbean pirates for ruining that one.

Stoic
Eh, that's kind of a cop-out answer. We can look at the current time with future-gazing eyes, whereas we know about the past. There's fun in predictions that isn't there for retrospection. If we were late 18th or 19th century people asking the thread's question, we'd feel the exact same way. "There's so many unknowns" in the French and American Revolution and rise of industrialism, or "so many unknowns" in the rise of imperialism and the arms race in Europe.

Everyone thinks their own time is the most important/interesting/meaningful.

Well you see... ha ha ha. I'm half American Indian and Black, so I would hate to say anything positive about the past, that has both of my people in chains, as their masters raped their wives, and sold their children to other Slave Masters. Today, as in our time. things being what they are kind of evens the playing field a bit, despite Alabama's stance. cough excuse me if I've left out any of the other prevalent racist cities still in existence around the map. smile

As opposed to the times when there was such thing as white spaces on maps filled by "Here Be Dragons"?

See... This is just another reason why our time is the greatest, we have a show called the Myth Busters. Holla if you hear me!

Stoic
Oh yeah I forgot something about the good old days, and how they used to feed Jewish people to lions, boil pregnant women in oil, and cut peoples heads off and use them as ornaments for trees after dunking them in wax to make it easier for them to be lit on fire. Come to think of it, could this be where the idea of Christmas ornaments for our lovely Christmas trees come from? Gee the good old days, I get all warm inside thinking about them.

Lord Lucien
Well you see... ha ha ha. I'm half American Indian and Black, so I would hate to say anything positive about the past, that has both of my people in chains, as their masters raped their wives, and sold their children to other Slave Masters. Today, as in our time. things being what they are kind of evens the playing field a bit, despite Alabama's stance. cough excuse me if I've left out any of the other prevalent racist cities still in existence around the map. smile Ahh, self-preservation always comes first.

So just go back to antiquity. Set yourself up as a king of Nubia or Egypt using the power of an assault rifle and an iPod.

Oh yeah I forgot something about the good old days, and how they used to feed Jewish people to lions, boil pregnant women in oil, and cut peoples heads off and use them as ornaments for trees after dunking them in wax to make it easier for them to be lit on fire. Come to think of it, could this be where the idea of Christmas ornaments for our lovely Christmas trees come from? Gee the good old days, I get all warm inside thinking about them. The Good Ol' Days... you mean the 50s?

Stoic
So just go back to antiquity. Set yourself up as a king of Nubia or Egypt using the power of an assault rifle and an iPod.

The Good Ol' Days... you mean the 50s?

I see where you're going with this. I forgot about good old Africa, where might still makes right even in this day and age. Very astute of you to mention this. Wellz sir, it sure is a good thing that I don't live over there. However I still believe that we may be moving in the right direction. I'm just waiting for Germany to make their move on the Southern King. <--- Iran

alltoomany
The computer age. Where everyone knows what you are doing..I guess the next big thing could be really developing our telepathic ablilty for selective conversations

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by alltoomany
The computer age. Where everyone knows what you are doing So... today.

alltoomany
So... today.

Yes! it's interesting reading about past history but whose to say if it's all true? I think not.

today is much more interesting to me

Lord Lucien
I don't know, I kinda like tomorrow.

Digi
Originally posted by alltoomany
Yes! it's interesting reading about past history but whose to say if it's all true? I think not.

Well, I think the greater danger if it IS all true. The fact that you have a computer to have this discussion on means that your quality of life is better than about 98% of history before the last 50 years or so.

Robtard
Originally posted by majid86
I would say that the most interesting period is when FINALLY the White British majority in the UK will become an ethnic minority in 30 years time.

The UK is practically the birth-place of white-people, why not leave and go somewhere more brown since you have a problem with white-people in their own lands?

Pakistan, you're from there right? Go there, it should be less white for you.

Lord Lucien
And more tolerant of other people's opinions.

Digi
I'd be less concerned with ethnic and racial makeups of various countries. That has almost no bearing on my life. I'd be far more interested in political and religious trends in countries, which have a much bigger influence on my friends, girlfriends, relationships toward acquaintances or co-workers, etc.

Robtard
I'd be less concerned with ethnic and racial makeups of various countries.

Cos you're not an idiot racist concerned over skin-color like some others.

red g jacks
ive always been partial to the roman empire... but i skipped history class for the most part so i dunno if i like the actual time period or just hollywood's depiction of it

Lord Lucien
Hollywood's depiction of Rome always felt pretty terrifying to me, actually.

red g jacks
keep in mind i enjoy it in the third person... i'm not saying i'd wanna live through it

Lord Lucien
History's always so much more fun when you can view its compressed, summarized entirety. Imagine living day-to-day in any era though. Like if someone 300 years from now said "I'd like to live in the time when the computer/internet age was just kicking off, around 9/11 and such."

Interesting concepts and single events, but we've all lived it day-to-day, and that in itself is no hot shit. It'd get worse the further back you went.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.