Most infuential battles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DE Calvin
This is another tester/pilot thread for the new History forum. Which battle9s0 where most influential to outcomes of wars, and in the long-run?

Morgoths_Wrath
Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Hastings, Battle of Yorktown, Battle of Waterloo

-hh-
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Hastings, Battle of Yorktown, Battle of Waterloo adding to these Battle of the Bulge

DE Calvin
Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Hastings, Battle of Yorktown, Battle of Waterloo
Adding: The battle of Gettysburg.

DE Calvin
Adding: Battle of Zama, Battle of Orleans, Battle of Okinawa, Pearl Harbor, Battle of Midway

eggmayo
Stalingrad... and the siege of Berlin..

vpokdekjyafmidp
howbout the Tet Offensive?

vpokdekjyafmidp
and the Invasion of Iwo Jima

DE Calvin
Lexington and Concord

vpokdekjyafmidp
battle of Long Island

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by vpokdekjyafmidp
and the Invasion of Iwo Jima

the dropping of the Atomic Bomb was more influential than that...but that wasn't so much a battle as it was a massacre erm

vpokdekjyafmidp
the dropping of the Atomic Bomb was more influential than that...but that wasn't so much a battle as it was a massacre erm

well the picture of the american troops raising the american flag was inspirational to people individually, and the nation as a whole

DE Calvin
Originally posted by vpokdekjyafmidp
well the picture of the american troops raising the american flag was inspirational to people individually, and the nation as a whole
This isn't a "Most Famous Pictures" thread.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by DE Calvin
Lexington and Concord

I'd say the Battle of Saratoga was more influential than that

adding: D-Day Invasion, Battle of Britain

DE Calvin
I'd say the Battle of Saratoga was more influential than that

adding: D-Day Invasion, Battle of Britain
D-Day was a great loss of men, but not very "decisive" to the rest of the war.

vpokdekjyafmidp
This isn't a "Most Famous Pictures" thread.

but the picture came out of a secretive invasion of american marines, onto a japanese pacific island with a military base. home of some of the worst torcherers ever same with Chi Chi Jima

Morgoths_Wrath

I thought the Battle of Normandy was definitely a pivotal battle

DE Calvin
I thought the Battle of Normandy was definitely a pivotal battle
How?

Hit_and_Miss
Battle of Britian

Battle of Rorke's Drift

Battle of Gravelines

Maestro
The Crusades

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by Maestro
The Crusades

BATTLES... Not Whole wars....

Morgoths_Wrath
How?

think of how the war might have turned out had the Allies failed to capture the beaches of Normandy

Maestro
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
BATTLES... Not Whole wars....

Well technically it can be broken down into isolated battles in certain countries/areas e.g Spain and Jerusalem, both of them were influential as they recaptured lands from muslims.

DE Calvin
think of how the war might have turned out had the Allies failed to capture the beaches of Normandy
We would just find another way into Europe.

Hit_and_Miss
Well technically it can be broken down into isolated battles in certain countries/areas

Yes, now pick one that was influential, and you might be posting on topic and half relevant to the thread...

Morgoths_Wrath

Maestro
Yes, now pick one that was influential, and you might be posting on topic and half relevant to the thread...

If you actually read what I said, SPAIN and JERUSALEM were my examples...... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Blaxican_Jedi
The batle for middle earth. Nah I'm joking, would go with battle of waterloo and battle for new gettysburg in the civil war. Also battle for lexington and concord.

Morgoths_Wrath

Hit_and_Miss
If you actually read what I said, SPAIN and JERUSALEM were my examples...... roll eyes (sarcastic)

yes... Now if only you provided the battles name, or which crusade it was... Then we might finally have made some progress... From the initial "Crusades" remark... stick out tongue

Inspectah Deck
This is another tester/pilot thread for the new History forum. Which battle9s0 where most influential to outcomes of wars, and in the long-run?

Do wars count?

Maestro
yes... Now if only you provided the battles name, or which crusade it was... Then we might finally have made some progress... From the initial "Crusades" remark... stick out tongue

Since you asked so politely, Reconquista was the battle in Spain & the battles in Jersulem are grouped under the 'Holy War', though the last battle won back the majority of jersulem.Is that enough for you?, I can also include the names of everyone participating on each side, the names of their horses, the different weapons being used . . . . . roll eyes (sarcastic)

DE Calvin
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Do wars count?
No.

Inspectah Deck
No.

Battle of the Trench

Hit_and_Miss
Since you asked so politely, Reconquista was the battle in Spain & the battles in Jersulem are grouped under the 'Holy War', though the last battle won back the majority of jersulem.

Congratulations! you have now provided an answer to the question asked... I've had to beat it out of you, but you have done it... Give yourself a pat on the back... smile

Echuu
The Battle of Tours.

RedAlertv2

It was important because it meant Germany was fighting on both sides of its borders

Tptmanno1
I think it would be harder to try to find a battle that was Un-influential.
Except of course the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812, which actually happened AFTER a Treaty had been signed and the British had surrendered.

DE Calvin
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
It was important because it meant Germany was fighting on both sides of its borders
It was their original plan to fight on both sides.

Morgoths_Wrath

but that doesn't change the fact that it was an influential battle

Tptmanno1
No it wasn't
Their original blitzcreig (Spelled terribly wrong)
was to conquer all of Western Europe quickly, and make Allies with Russia and turn on them later. They also knew that it would take a long time for the Russian War machine to mobalize and they exploited this, this is why the Russians wanted the Allied invasion to start as soon as possible, as to open up a second front.
This is why Stalingrad and D-Day were so key, if either one of them failed, the Germans would have the power to devote all resorces to one front and possible win more ground, or whatever, that may be impossible to gague what would have happened.

DE Calvin
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
No it wasn't
Their original blitzcreig (Spelled terribly wrong)
was to conquer all of Western Europe quickly, and make Allies with Russia and turn on them later. They also knew that it would take a long time for the Russian War machine to mobalize and they exploited this, this is why the Russians wanted the Allied invasion to start as soon as possible, as to open up a second front.
This is why Stalingrad and D-Day were so key, if either one of them failed, the Germans would have the power to devote all resorces to one front and possible win more ground, or whatever, that may be impossible to gague what would have happened.
Oops, I was thinking the Schleiflin Plan was in WWII, instead of WWI, my bad.

Da preacher
D-day, Gettysburg , Somme (twice) and Waterloo in the recent past.

Tptmanno1
Oops, I was thinking the Schleiflin Plan was in WWII, instead of WWI, my bad.
Nope, WW1, But had same concept. Beat one quick so you can focus on the other...
They just got held up in France... With the whole trench thing...

Da preacher
No, they got beat back in the battle of the Somme, then the thrench-war started.

Tptmanno1
I'm paraphrasing, and its been a while since I took History....
Overall concept is the same.

Blaxican_Jedi

Mišt

Suggestion (in regards to the possible History forum): Rather than asking questions which require maybe 3 worded answers, maybe you should invoke a little more debate/interest, like asking why people think each battle is influential and what made them influential and so on. If its just short answer threads, the forum wont survive erm

manny321
Im trying to remember from the age of empires game.

Battle of horns of hattin. That battle really destroyed the whole crusades.

battle of Stalingrad is the most important of this century.

lord krondor
Adding: The battle for women's suffrage. That has led us down a dark road that we may never find our way out of

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by lord krondor
Adding: The battle for women's suffrage. That has led us down a dark road that we may never find our way out of

confused

I don't think that counts...we're talking about military battles

Quiero Mota
Vietnam: Ia Drang Valley, Ca Lu, Cu Chi, Danang, Tet Offensive, The Iron Triangle

Is anyone else on KMC the son or daughter of a Nam vet?

DE Calvin

Maestro
Congratulations! you have now provided an answer to the question asked... I've had to beat it out of you, but you have done it... Give yourself a pat on the back... smile

Ill rather give you a 'pat' on the face big grin

Blaxican_Jedi
must...save...thread...somehow...

Echuu
Originally posted by Blaxican_Jedi
must...save...thread...somehow...

Good luck! stick out tongue

The Battle of Marathon

Aliies
I don't know the name...

The Russian lines holding against the German incoming Blitzkreig and divided their lines across even waves in multiple parallel lines and each was weak and easy to breach...

The Russians would fight viciously and cause as much damage to the germans but they were persistent to break through the Russian lines, the broken rmenants fell back and joined the next line; doing the same and falling back with greater number to the next line, all the time weakening the german advance but they persisted as they never belived the Russians able to defeat their mighty blitzkreig.

After several rounds of broken lines and a the fianl line the Russians numbered so many and the heavily weakend German advance was so stretched in the merciless push into Russian territory that they had ignored couter-tactics against the now-invincible line of Russian patriots.

In my opinion this was the greatest tactic used against one of the most powerful openly offensive country in history, after this they were pushed so far back gradually that the Russians ended up flying the flag from the Berlin hall.

They organized peasants and patriots in a weakened deployment that turned out to be the most powerful land-based defensive tactic known.

DE Calvin
Originally posted by Aliies
I don't know the name...

The Russian lines holding against the German incoming Blitzkreig and divided their lines across even waves in multiple parallel lines and each was weak and easy to breach...

The Russians would fight viciously and cause as much damage to the germans but they were persistent to break through the Russian lines, the broken rmenants fell back and joined the next line; doing the same and falling back with greater number to the next line, all the time weakening the german advance but they persisted as they never belived the Russians able to defeat their mighty blitzkreig.

After several rounds of broken lines and a the fianl line the Russians numbered so many and the heavily weakend German advance was so stretched in the merciless push into Russian territory that they had ignored couter-tactics against the now-invincible line of Russian patriots.

In my opinion this was the greatest tactic used against one of the most powerful openly offensive country in history, after this they were pushed so far back gradually that the Russians ended up flying the flag from the Berlin hall.

They organized peasants and patriots in a weakened deployment that turned out to be the most powerful land-based defensive tactic known.
This is the kind of answer I want to hear yes
I think this was Battle of Stalingrad, or at least sounds like it.

Aliies
it is the pure tactic developed under their most stressful time and with limited resorces that truly grants it as an epic in history.

It's all good and well that people know the names of these battles but you ask most who know the name of the Battle of Brittain they don't know what it really was...

The main reason i this and the one i described earlier is because I love aircraft of worldwar 2 and the fact that i am Half-Russian-Latvian and VERY proud.

And no it wasn't the battle of stalingrad; that was different but involved both sides.
It was a propaganda war at the time!

GCG
Must check my eyesight. I thought the thread said "Most Influential bottles" -

and my mind went straight on booze !

WrathfulDwarf
The Battle of Bunker Hill!

"Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!"

debbiejo
How about the "War of the Roses?"

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Echuu
Good luck! stick out tongue

The Battle of Marathon

good one big grin

debbiejo
What no one cares about the war of the roses?????????.........though it was historical in medieval times............I did enjoy the move much better............Loved the ending.................

Am I freaking bored or what to reply?????????????????

Morgoths_Wrath
this should be moved to the history forum

DarkC
Most influential battle?

Miracle of the Marne (French river), in WWI.

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
the testing of polio vaccines to win the war against an ailment claiming the children of the world.

Philip_ll
The Battle of Thermopylea, in 480 bc.

Dr. Zaius
(No particular order)

Saratoga
Gettysburg
Midway
Stalingrad
Lepanto
Marathon
Hastings
Trafalgar
Issus
Actium
Somme
Verdun

Templares
Battle of Stalingrad and Kursk
Battle of Midway, Coral Sea, and Leyte Gulf
Waterloo definitely

baracustastic
Culloden.

The complete end to the Jacobite hopes of restoring the Stewart family to the thrones of England and Scotland. Which ended any chance of the Union being dissolved which paved the way for Scotland's industrial, agricultural and intellectual revolutions.

As a result the British empire became massive and the world got a multiude of great stuff from the minds of Scots.

Koenig
The Battle of Kursk 1943 was big success for the Soviets, Hitler gambled everything on this one battle and lost, he also got it wrong thinking the battle took a heavy toll on the Soviets and they could not go over to offensive operations. Hitler was proved wrong when the Germans ran out of steam.

Another major battle was Operation Bagration on the 23rd June1944 which saw the destruction of the German army group centre, annihilating 17 Wehrmacht divisions and over 50 other divisions. This one battle inflicted the greatest defeat on the German army in WW2.

Another Battle which was a lost cause but never the less should be mention was the Warsaw uprising 1944 by the Polish people who gave it there best.

Darth Kreiger
I forget what it was called, but the Europeans won in France against Muslim armies, and made it so Europe would still remain under Christian rule

Himo
Kursk. Completely switched momentum over to the Russians on the Eastern Front.

Battle of the Bulge. If he had been a success for Germany, we'd probably have the whole of Europe speaking Russian.

Waterloo. Not as important as others, but knocked Napoleon out as a threat for good.

Penelope
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
I forget what it was called, but the Europeans won in France against Muslim armies, and made it so Europe would still remain under Christian rule

The Battle Of Tours. The Franks were under the rein of Charles Martel.

dr. pookie
Originally posted by Penelope
The Battle Of Tours. The Franks were under the rein of Charles Martel.

nice one

Smasandian
Normandy.

"The Normandy landings were the first successful opposed landings across the English Channel for nine centuries. They were costly in terms of men, but the defeat inflicted on the Germans was one of the largest of the war. Strategically, the campaign led to the loss of the German position in most of France and the secure establishment of a major new front"

It helps that it drove a stake through the hearts of the German HQ's, creating turmoil withen the generals. Also, without it, the Allied forces wouldnt of been able to get to Germany.

maham
I think the Battle Of Badr which was the 1st battle btw the Muslims n the infidels of Mecca was the most influential 1 or 1 of the most influential 1s as it decided the future of Muslims as a strong nation.

Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft
Also, BTW, was there ever a really important battle during the Crusades or the whole Mongol conquest thing?

Alliance
Endor was cr@p.

Geonosis. That was the most influential battle in history.

Fire
The mongols defeating the persian kings war elephants the first time was quite a good one, but not really that influential.

Philip_ll
One of the most significant European battles in European history, the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest took place in 9 AD. It is little remembered today, in part because it was a catestrophic Roman defeat and the Romans did not chose to dwell on it. Armenius was the master mind behind the defeat.

History Buff
How about the English defeating the "mighty" Spanish Armada.

MadMel
the battle of Waterloo
the battle of Hastings
the battle of Little bighorn (lol)
Gallipoli was very influential to Australia..
and concerning star wars, endor was much more influential than geonosis..it was an incredible moment to everone (good) in the galaxy..the empire is gone, evil is banished etc..

Coleman Trebor
Yeah, to bad the rebels ended up fighting even more after that anyway...

RZA
Definitely the fight for Stalingrad, had the Nazis one we'd prob all be speaking German today. Also, the defeat of Rommel's forces in North Africa. Waterloo is another famous one that comes to mind with Napoleon poised to conquer the world as well.

Another one I'd like to add is the Battle of Zama.

heru
The two Arab invasion in Makaria against King Kalydosis. The first battle was the Arabs worst defeat in history, according to historians. The second they suffered another lost, but was more competitive then the first.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.