Beowulf & Grendel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
I've wanted to see this story on the big screen, since my first study of it in high school.
Just saw it again at the cinema last night, months after my first viewing at the Toronto International Film Festival. I'm still very high on it, and how it's used it's limited budget in an intelligent direction towards realism aka The Story That Inspired The Mythic Poem. It may not get US distribution, thanks to a competing version by Robert Zemeckis, due next year using motion capture CGI. But I hope so.

Shwartz
Hell yeah, I did not know they were making a Beowulf and Grendel movie. I love that poem, I definitely need to see it.

roughrider
Gerald Butler plays Beowulf. He has such a fan following, groups of women from the USA are crossing the border to see the film in the Toronto & Vancouver areas - plus maybe some school scholars are checking it out, for English Literature purposes.

Dude_The_Man
There is already a Beowulf movie called "Beowulf". Christopher Lambert plays Beo and Grindel + his mommy are both in it. It's very sci-fi/fantasy. I liked it, prolly a 7/10.

roughrider
Originally posted by Dude_The_Man
There is already a Beowulf movie called "Beowulf". Christopher Lambert plays Beo and Grindel + his mommy are both in it. It's very sci-fi/fantasy. I liked it, prolly a 7/10.

Doing some version set in the future is not a true adaptation. No more true than "10 things I hate about you" is an adaption of Shakespeare's Taming Of The Shrew.
And the VAST majority of films starring Christopher Lambert are crap.
He should have stopped after Greystoke: The Legend Of Tarzan.

Dude_The_Man
Highlander, Beowulf, Gunmen, Mortal Kombat, the Point Men, Fortress, Mean Guns all good movies. IMHO.

As for Beowulf I never said it was an exact translation. In fact it's a very lose one. All I said was Beowulf Grendel and his mom are all in it. It's a action movie with some nice action scenes.

roughrider
Gunmen...with Mario Van Peebles... laughing

big gay kirk
The Thirtenth warrior was also based on the beowulf story.... but Crichton reversed and compressed the story, so we have the dragon, then "Grendel's" mother being killed, and "Grendel" being offed in the last scene....

Morgoths_Wrath

roughrider
It's now playing at select theatres in the US. I've seen articles about it from Seattle and New York; discussions about other interpretations of the story from the last few decades - the current opera, John Gardner's novel GRENDEL - from the New York Times. Anyone else seeing it?

roughrider
I've been waiting for news of it's DVD release - and there it was, sitting on the shelf at Future Shop yesterday! eek!
I snapped it up immediately - it has commentary from the director & writer, plus a few deleted scenes. Stylish but slim packaging; Schindler's List was the last film I saw that had this kind of slim design.

roughrider
Link talking about one of the various festivals B & G is winning over audiences, with some contributed reviews.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_8194.html

Official site - http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/

roughrider
Originally posted by big gay kirk
The Thirtenth warrior was also based on the beowulf story.... but Crichton reversed and compressed the story, so we have the dragon, then "Grendel's" mother being killed, and "Grendel" being offed in the last scene....

Yes, and he combines that with the real memoir of a shiek who journeyed up the Volga river in what is southern Russia. Combine a bunch of other sources, and you get originality, I guess.

office jesus
Originally posted by Dude_The_Man

It was half decent. Not one of Lambert's best.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.