What type of lightsaber do you use?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

zephiel7
Single lightsaber: Why bother with two, you risk the chance of cutting yourself. More does not necessarily mean better.

Dual lightsabers: Shorter one to defend, and the longer one coming at you biatch.

Double bladed lightsaber: Me like smash. Me like fighting and hurting people. Me like ending battle quickly.

Force master: Screw lightsaber, I'ma storm your asses.

Rayvann
Gee... I never knew lightsabers where real... I'd better go buy one and start practicing!

zephiel7
Too late, all sold out

DarthLazious
A single bladed lightsabre.

Darth Kal-El
single bladed. Dooku said it himself in LOE that it was foolish to use two lightsabers because one is enough.

Tarvos
Single-bladed. It's cooler.

And dude, double-bladed is for a strong defense. Think about it. It's so easy to defend with it. Dual sabers are for a strong offense.

((The_Anomaly))
Its not easy to defend with a staff where the middle isnt capable of stopping attacks. Double bladed sabers are the worst for defense of all the sabers, Maul almost got killed because of that reason. Had Obi-Wan been 2-4 inches closer to Maul when he cut Maul's saber in half it would chopped Mauls face in two.

Double-Bladed = Not so good defense. More easily controlled and quick offense.

Two Lightsabers = Really good defense, Even better offense, but the most difficult to control. Kinda a double edged sword.

Single bladed saber = Good offence, Good defense. Easiest to control and allows for the most maneuverability as well as the most finesse and precision.

Darth POW
Single blade's good cos you can attack and defend and it's easy to control. So you wont hurt yourself.

ThoraxeRMG
2 Lightsabers with me.
I'm perfect with 2.

zephiel7
I am sorry but you people are horrible

Double bladed lightsabers biatch, Exar Kun pwned Vodo in two seconds with his.

Revolver Ocelot
Remember how Maul got pwned? There's that.

Lyoko Saver
I go 2 double sided my self

ThoraxeRMG
On sceond thought a
Double Bladed one that can seprate.

zephiel7
Originally posted by Lyoko Saver
I go 2 double sided my self

You are saying two double bladed "darth maul" type sabers? Good luck not cutting yourself!

zephiel7
Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot
Remember how Maul got pwned? There's that.

Maul did do some pwning. He killed Qui Gon, but he was arrogant and Obi Wan beat him down.

I say double bladed has tons of figures to look up to. wink

Wesker
I'd say either a single bladed, curved handle like Dooku's, or a doublebladed one. Or really, a Sith Sword.

Tarvos
Yeah. Screw the saber. Get a Stouker Concussion Rifle and blow their ass off the planet.

And a double-bladed that could seperate? That'd be retarded. Plus, what if you accidently seperated it and it cuts your wrists off? Then what, f00?

zephiel7
Originally posted by Tarvos
Yeah. Screw the saber. Get a Stouker Concussion Rifle and blow their ass off the planet.

And a double-bladed that could seperate? That'd be retarded. Plus, what if you accidently seperated it and it cuts your wrists off? Then what, f00?

Get a mechanical one.

Tarvos
Wtf?

Swanky-Tuna
In JKA, I use the dual sabres. The katas for it blows though.

w00t2112
I think some of you are forgetting, that both Kun's style and dbl bladed lightsaber is much different to the others, it has a shorter hilt and a much faster style.

Lyoko Saver
2 double sided that have hilts the size of regulars and a button for each blade

Brotz
Honestly, I prefer a long sword with some very strong metal that can repeatingly withstand lightsaber attacks.

Blue_Hefner
I like dual sabers.

Count Kent
I use an aqua saber.

Legion_of_Maul
well, i guess i like double bladed lightsabers, but what kinda idiot uses double bladed lightsabers?.... shifty

Darth Vious
My preference is for a single bladed saber with a curved hilt. I can use two sabers if I have to as well as a double bladed one, but I prefer the precision of a single curved hilt.

Legion_of_Maul
they should put that in KOTOR III

Darth Kreiger
I prefer 1, because it looks cooler, with 2 though, you can hold the persons Lightsaber down in a lock, and stab them with the other, double bladed is for defence, and Force Powers own them all

darth_dracus
double bladed are the best but harder to master the kik ass especial when there red it looks alot kooler.

DE Luke
Double Bladed.

Count Kent
That's original Fox. love

Legion_of_Maul
i would have two blades actually, but i would only use one, but when they least expect it we'll be pushing our sabers together and ill reach back and pull out my second saber and finish the job.

TheBalance
Originally posted by Flammable Fun
Single-bladed. It's cooler.

And dude, double-bladed is for a strong defense. Think about it. It's so easy to defend with it. Dual sabers are for a strong offense.

And dude, double-bladed is not for a strong defense. Think about it. It's so hard to defend with it. I'm Talking as someone who actually is a sword master and staff master who might be working on the nxt star wars films a dual bladed lightsaber actually is really the hardest to defend with because blocking an attack might result in the other end slicing you and/or u not being able to come around for a counter-attack.

Jedi and Sith who master double-bladed lightsaber combat were a rarity. This type of lightsaber combat evolved around a double-bladed lightsaber - sometimes also referred to as a sith lightsaber or saber-staff.

A saber-staff would typically consist of a long hilt which had energy blades at both ends. The blades could be ignited one at a time, the saber-staff thus functioning as a normal lightsaber, or simultaneously. One of the primary functions of a double bladed lightsaber was to create fear in the opponent, as a double bladed lightsaber, with its two deadly blades, looked more menacing than an ordinary one.

Double-bladed lightsaber combat was more like fighting with a staff than with a sword. The weapon having two blades, double-bladed lightsaber combat allowed for much more rapid attack which were more difficult to parry for someone using an ordinary lightsaber. Also it allowed for "more kills per swing", since one would be able to strike opponents in front of and behind oneself simultaneously.

This type of lightsaber combat was extremely rare. Firstly, because it was very difficult to master and using a double-bladed lightsaber could be more dangerous to the untrained wielder than to his opponent. Secondly, this type of lightsaber combat was of an aggressive nature and thus deemed too close to the dark side by many Jedi.

Several of the standard forms of lightsaber combat had double-bladed variants. Darth Maul used a double-bladed variant of Form VII, and Jedi Master Zez-Kai Ell used a double-bladed variant of Ataru. Jaden Korr may have used double-bladed versions of the fast, medium, and strong styles.

If u want to learn more about sword/lightsaber forms go to the wookiepedia or PM me (the wookiepedia is actually a very correct source of form info (for style, the SW history doesn't apply).

TheBalance
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Its not easy to defend with a staff where the middle isnt capable of stopping attacks. Double bladed sabers are the worst for defense of all the sabers, Maul almost got killed because of that reason. Had Obi-Wan been 2-4 inches closer to Maul when he cut Maul's saber in half it would chopped Mauls face in two.

Double-Bladed = Not so good defense. More easily controlled and quick offense.

Two Lightsabers = Really good defense, Even better offense, but the most difficult to control. Kinda a double edged sword.

Single bladed saber = Good offence, Good defense. Easiest to control and allows for the most maneuverability as well as the most finesse and precision.

very smart and quite correct for futher info look at my above post

TheBalance
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
I prefer 1, because it looks cooler, with 2 though, you can hold the persons Lightsaber down in a lock, and stab them with the other, double bladed is for defence, and Force Powers own them all

idiot

see my above post

Decay
single, most control, more power in saberlocks because it can be held with two hands and can be used with more finess. duel and two sabers might be good for trying to overwhelm someone with uncontrolled speed, but when it gets down to strength, or skill a single blade would be best. also the fact that pretty much all the best jedi and sith have all used a single would indicate its the superior choice.

Darth Kreiger
TheBalance, there arn't going to be new Star Wars Films.....

Pyro Tyrannus
One is good enough. . .

DE Luke

TheBalance
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
TheBalance, there arn't going to be new Star Wars Films.....

and u know this how

Swirly Girl
Erm, because Lucas has said so? And that people that are supposedly close to George Lucas wouldn't go around telling people that.

Oh, and they wouldn't act like a stupid moron either.

overlord
Lucas only said he would consider a movie about some war between jedi and sith with Yoda starring main role. If he ever seriously is going to use that idea though, it will be in a television series probably.
I don't see him making another movie.

Sin Harvest
Single Bladed Lightsaber. I don't see why anyone would want 2. All the greatest Jedi/Sith used a single bladed lightsaber. Yoda, Palpatine, Malak, Revan (flashbacks you see him with one), Obi-Wan, Mace, Dooku, Anakin/Vader, Luke, and so on and so forth.

Legion_of_Maul
Originally posted by Swirly Girl
Erm, because Lucas has said so? And that people that are supposedly close to George Lucas wouldn't go around telling people that.

Oh, and they wouldn't act like a stupid moron either.
did lucas not say that episodes one two and three wouldn't be so right after the old trilogy was released? and yet they eventually came out...

TheBalance
Originally posted by Sin Harvest
Single Bladed Lightsaber. I don't see why anyone would want 2. All the greatest Jedi/Sith used a single bladed lightsaber. Yoda, Palpatine, Malak, Revan (flashbacks you see him with one), Obi-Wan, Mace, Dooku, Anakin/Vader, Luke, and so on and so forth.

I like two for the accesibility and the fact that i'm pretty much a makashi practitioner so i just use both my hands as makashi and also Revan was neither a primarily Jar'Kai Practitioner nor a single bladed practitioner but he has many confrontation preferring to use two blades. He is most likely to be in an attack confrontation when wielding two swords because of the hardness of defending i should know i'm actually a sword masterer

Cord Shimmerer
I would typically consider using a single blade (until I determined what the situation called for). One must be fluid and be able to improvise (if necessary) to be a true master of any combat form.

I believe a person limits themself by choosing only one type of lightsaber though. I would definitely have to have a personal arsenal of various types of lightsabers, allowing for a much broader scope of choice (depending on the potential circumstances).

And Revan was seen using both single lightsaber and dual lightsabers (KotoR 1 & KotoR 2). Definitely a person who knew how to improvise in the middle of combat.

As for Dooku, he became a borderline megalomaniac (probably due to sith-dark side influence). Hence, I would imagine he would say that whatever style "HE" used was the absolute best, and anything else was a waste of time.... Right up to the point where a certain young man would take two lightsabers and cut off a certain head belonging to one "Count"- lol. Laterz. :-D

Cord

Darth Vious
This one:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DefenderoftheInnocent/243c61d1.jpg
The curved lower grip allows it to be used one-handed for Makashi techniques, and the straight upper grip also allows it to be used two handed for more defensive Soresu techniques.

overlord
Hey cool! Are you a Dooku fan aswell? I'm thinking of starting a fanclub here on KMC. I'm sure there must be a lot of people who will join!

Darth Vious
You'll probably get more members than a fan club for Orphan Annie, King of Domestic Abuse... On a serious note, yes, Dooku's saber was an influence for my saber, but so was Obi-Wan's. I've been studying European and Japanese fencing since I was eight, so I wanted a saber that could handle both styles of fencing.

TheBalance
Originally posted by Cord Shimmerer
I would typically consider using a single blade (until I determined what the situation called for). One must be fluid and be able to improvise (if necessary) to be a true master of any combat form.

I believe a person limits themself by choosing only one type of lightsaber though. I would definitely have to have a personal arsenal of various types of lightsabers, allowing for a much broader scope of choice (depending on the potential circumstances).

And Revan was seen using both single lightsaber and dual lightsabers (KotoR 1 & KotoR 2). Definitely a person who knew how to improvise in the middle of combat.

i agree to the max
also darth vious do u want me to make u a nihilius sig

BlaxicanTroller
Damn, if I could make a light saber hilt... I wonder if they sel the right materials in regular stores to make a really nice one.

And I would go for using the force. I think im the first person to say that...

A force attack owns pretty much ANY light saber...

MadMel
hmm...i say force and duel sabers...

Darth Vious
Originally posted by TheBalance
also darth vious do u want me to make u a nihilius sig
Thanks for the offer, but I prefer a personal one smile If you could do a sig from the costume photos I have though, that would be fantastic smile

Darth Vious
Originally posted by BlaxicanTroller
Damn, if I could make a light saber hilt... I wonder if they sel the right materials in regular stores to make a really nice one.

A hardware store will have the basics you'll require ( 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch metal pipe) but depending on the actual details you want, you might need to go to online sources for certain parts. If you need any advice or links, just let me know smile

TheBalance
Originally posted by Darth Vious
Thanks for the offer, but I prefer a personal one smile If you could do a sig from the costume photos I have though, that would be fantastic smile
sure post the pics in my sig Thread its hyperlinked under my sig

BlaxicanTroller
A hardware store will have the basics you'll require ( 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch metal pipe) but depending on the actual details you want, you might need to go to online sources for certain parts. If you need any advice or links, just let me know smile

would appreciate some links.Um...what stuff do YOU use?

Captain REX
Originally posted by Legion_of_Maul
did lucas not say that episodes one two and three wouldn't be so right after the old trilogy was released? and yet they eventually came out...

Legion...he never said that. no expression He retitled the first Star Wars film 'Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope' for its rerelease into theaters, in the late 1970's.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by zephiel7
Single lightsaber: Why bother with two, you risk the chance of cutting yourself. More does not necessarily mean better.

Dual lightsabers: Shorter one to defend, and the longer one coming at you biatch.

Double bladed lightsaber: Me like smash. Me like fighting and hurting people. Me like ending battle quickly.

Force master: Screw lightsaber, I'ma storm your asses.

Single bladed--either blue with a silver-white hilt or red with black and gold hilt.

Darth Vious
sure post the pics in my sig Thread its hyperlinked under my sig
Thanks for the offer smile I've posted links to the pics as they'd be too large to post on the forum without messing up the tables smile

Darth Vious
Originally posted by BlaxicanTroller
would appreciate some links.Um...what stuff do YOU use?
The stuff I use depends on the saber I'm making. If it's a recreation of an existing one, then I try and get it as close as possible, but settle for it being 'recogniseable' rather than 100% accurate, as some parts are just impossible to get hold of easily, and some sabers, were custom machined, and sadly, I don't have access to professional engineering tools anymore, just a hacksaw and handfiles big grin
These are some good sources though...

For rubber grips, LED lenses and circuit boards (as activation plates)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DefenderoftheInnocent/1335b65f.jpg

www.blast-tech.com

For other assorted parts (like the red activation knobs)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DefenderoftheInnocent/460e54f5.jpg

www.romansempireproductions.com

For Covertec knobs and clips, there are two sources. For flat backed knobs (best for putting near rubber grips) and RotS-style circuit boards:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DefenderoftheInnocent/0715a1c0.jpg

http://tfxstudios.vstore.ca//

For dished knobs (have a curved back that will fit right against a tube)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DefenderoftheInnocent/06bf598a.jpg

www.mpmcostumes.com

As above, it really depends on what you want to create, entirely custom or a recreation (of whatever degree of accuracy) The best place to find cheap pipe is a hardware store, or maybe a Radioshack (as TV aerial poles make good saber bodies) And such places are also good for picking up bits for the rest of the saber as well. Hose adaptors make good 'windvanes' for the neck on Obi-Wan's RotS/ANH saber (If you're not going for 100% accuracy) and small draw handle knobs make good end caps for the base of the saber (just insert the end into the tube, and the part you'd hold sits flat against the end of the tube smile ) If you have any other questions or need more help, just let me know smile

Sin Harvest
i should know i'm actually a sword masterer

So let me get this straight. You are a 17 year old sword master. Yeah I doubt that.

Darth Vious
So let me get this straight. You are a 17 year old sword master. Yeah I doubt that.
It's possible. Do you know how long Balance has been studying Martial arts and fencing for?

Sith Lord Windu
If you master using a double bladed seperating saber then how are you going to accidently cut your arms off?

plus they are good for owning an enemy and for blaster fire.

And it is possible to be good at fencing or be self taught at sword fighting but you cant be a master at using a samurai sword or broad sword because you have to train for many more years than 10 or how ever old you are when you started and if you join a martial art then you would have to train for about 15 years if you were gifted. so i doubt it!

Sin Harvest
It's possible. Do you know how long Balance has been studying Martial arts and fencing for?

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize that after a few years whether it be 10 or 14 that you learned everything you needed to know. Fact is Taro, who has studied the arts of both Spanish, British, and Japanese style of fencing and who even served in the military still says he has much to learn and much to improve on.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by Sith Lord Windu
If you master using a double bladed seperating saber then how are you going to accidently cut your arms off?

plus they are good for owning an enemy and for blaster fire.

And it is possible to be good at fencing or be self taught at sword fighting but you cant be a master at using a samurai sword or broad sword because you have to train for many more years than 10 or how ever old you are when you started and if you join a martial art then you would have to train for about 15 years if you were gifted. so i doubt it!
Sorry, was that directed at me? I was 8 when I started studying fencing properly (and have been 'playing' with swords since I was old enough to pick one up) and I'm 3 months off 28 now, so that's 20 years of experience.

Darth Vious
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize that after a few years whether it be 10 or 14 that you learned everything you needed to know. Fact is Taro, who has studied the arts of both Spanish, British, and Japanese style of fencing and who even served in the military still says he has much to learn and much to improve on.
I'd say ten years of training could certainly be enough to qualify someone as a Master depending on their aptitude and dedication to training. I trained to a certain degree every day (starting at 8) as my best friend's father was hanshi (Master)) and I am now hanshi myself. I am currently only yodan in bujutsu, because a person has to be over the age of 16 to qualify as shodan (paper equivelent of black belt) regardless of the age they started training. I don't know who Taro is, and I agree, there is always room for improvement and learning something new, however, that does not mean someone cannot achieve the status of Master sooner than others. Just because someone becomes a Master, it does not mean they stop learning.

Sith Lord Windu
The styles that they use on star wars are different to what ever you learn. for a start they use a different type of weapon and they duel with them which means that you would have to master that weapon.

Darth Vious
The styles that they use on star wars are different to what ever you learn. for a start they use a different type of weapon and they duel with them which means that you would have to master that weapon.
The basic principles and fundementals are the same. I agree, there would be quite a difference between mastering a sword and a lightsaber, but the basics are the same, because Lucas based lightsaber combat from existing swordfighting techniques, and in the PT just got Gillard to expand from what he'd started to show.

darth_dracus
i like double bladed sabers =)

KingDubya
I would most likely fight with two sabers at once. I can use a shorter one in my left hand for defense and the normal-sized one in my right hand for offense.
...and if you join a martial art then you would have to train for about 15 years if you were gifted. so i doubt it!
I'm sorry, but I seem to remember an 8-year old child in my former karate class who was already a black belt. Completely true.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by KingDubya
I'm sorry, but I seem to remember an 8-year old child in my former karate class who was already a black belt. Completely true.
Precicely. It only takes about four years of training for someone to achieve dan ranking in karate. The only reason my rank in bujutsu is restricted, is because someone must be 16 before they can achieve shodan (same equivelent grade) (and several other grades are also age-restricted) By the time I was 16, I'd already been studying for 8 years...

Darin Saine
Double-bladed bitches.

TheBalance

and i still have much to learn and i will never stop learning its an art and i will constantly try to better myself spiritually to help my state of mind during combat.
I started at 9 and have been doing training three times a week since then and was acclaimed a sword masterer three months ago and it was said that "... i could defeat many other combatiers of double my age."
but i have only made sword masterer not staff or projectiles yet i am still training with those give 2 years and i was told i'll be eligible to go for pole mastery. after all that u can go for weapons mastery then combat mastery then resolution mastery then Mentoris Mastery and then a Grand Mastery
so i'll still got 7 levels to go before i'm perfect. i never said i was great but i know that i know a fair bit more than most of you guys
thanks darth vious and keep going with the training for any tips, pm me

Darth Vious
thanks darth vious and keep going with the training for any tips, pm me
No problem, you're more than welcome. It irritates me no end when people think age is a requisite to skill. As I said before, in bujutsu, a person has to be sixteen before they can even be recognized as shodan, which personally, I think is bullshit, as by the time I was 16, I'd already been studying for 8 years, and in skill alone, way beyond that level, but, age restrictions held me back. The only thing that should matter, is the length of time a person has been studying.
The best tip I could give is to focus on the mental and spiritual aspects of martial arts as well as the physical. When the mind is balanced, the body will follow.
PS Any luck with those pic links I posted on your sig thread? I'm keen to see what you can do with them smile

TheBalance
The basic principles and fundementals are the same. I agree, there would be quite a difference between mastering a sword and a lightsaber, but the basics are the same, because Lucas based lightsaber combat from existing swordfighting techniques, and in the PT just got Gillard to expand from what he'd started to show.

i believe tora is a vegetable

vious how old are u?
correct,
one form that is actually very closely based to the real form is the ancient samurai art of soresu used in sw to reflect blaster shots used in real life to cut arrows in half as they flew at u (Very Hard)
Makashi was a very strong form of combat and most commonly known as one hand combat where every fight has a center of your stance the center for makashi is your hand and u move round your hand in a circular fashion.
shii-cho the most basic form of absolutly any form of sword combat made of parry's and attacks.
theres more and more and i cant be f*cked sayin them all so enjoy

Darth Vious
i believe tora is a vegetable

vious how old are u?
I'm 27, I'll be 28 in October this year (just over 3 months)

one form that is actually very closely based to the real form is the ancient samurai art of soresu used in sw to reflect blaster shots used in real life to cut arrows in half as they flew at u (Very Hard)
Yes. I've been studying traditional Japanese fencing kenjutsu since I started studying martial arts (having a best friend who's dad ran the local dojo helped) That is not quite the same as kendo, because it involves using wooden and blunted metal blades, rather than the bamboo kendo 'swords'. Due to the dangerous nature of that technique, it wasn't one that was taught. I have however, deflected thrown objects with a sword with no touble at all. Wether I could do so with an arrow, I wouldn't like to say for certain (or try big grin)

TheBalance
go on try it its fun
plus where do you live what time is it

Darth Vious
go on try it its fun
plus where do you live what time is it
Well, maybe one day when the bills get too much to pay, I'll think about it big grin
I live near a city called Norwich, it's about 2 hours north of London, quite near the east coast but I moved here 18 months ago. I used to live near Gatwick Airport, which is halfway between London and the South Coast. The time is 4:30 PM, and the temperatur's about 25 C (about 75 F)

TheBalance
i'm an aussie but i lived in liverpool and bristol for 3 years

Sin Harvest
I'd say ten years of training could certainly be enough to qualify someone as a Master depending on their aptitude and dedication to training. I trained to a certain degree every day (starting at 8) as my best friend's father was hanshi (Master)) and I am now hanshi myself. I am currently only yodan in bujutsu, because a person has to be over the age of 16 to qualify as shodan (paper equivelent of black belt) regardless of the age they started training. I don't know who Taro is, and I agree, there is always room for improvement and learning something new, however, that does not mean someone cannot achieve the status of Master sooner than others. Just because someone becomes a Master, it does not mean they stop learning.

I take it you study the Japanese art of fencing. I on the other hand study a European style of fencing, Foil and Saber: 2 out of the 3 types.

Archangelysses
Mauls lightsaber was two individual blades that could be connected to form the dual blade.

We just never saw him separate them

redcaped
Obi-Wan did separate them. I like the color red but as a lightsaber I would prefer a white beam.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I take it you study the Japanese art of fencing. I on the other hand study a European style of fencing, Foil and Saber: 2 out of the 3 types.
I do study Japanese fencing, but I also studied European fencing at school, so my style varies upon the weapon I'm using, and why I made my lightsaber to be able to accomodate both styles smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.