Denmark's Little Mermaid vandalised with dildo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

anti-her0
COPENHAGEN (AFP) - Denmark's national symbol, the Little Mermaid sculpture perched on a rock overlooking the Copenhagen port, was splattered with green paint by vandals and adorned with a dildo.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We are taking this very seriously because one cannot accept vandalism, not on the Little Mermaid or any other public statue," deputy police commissioner Peter Steffensen told AFP.

Investigators have "no leads on the perpetrators of the act ... which took place early Wednesday," he said.

The attackers scrawled "8 marts" across the rock on which the Little Mermaid sits, marking the date in Danish of International Women's Day which was celebrated around the world on Wednesday.

"But we are not sure that it was women who committed this act," Steffensen said.

On Thursday, the statue was cleaned up and the sex toy removed.

The Little Mermaid, one of Denmark's biggest tourist attractions, is based on the character created by Hans Christian Andersen in an 1837 fairytale.

Sculptor Edward Eriksen was commissioned by Danish brewer Carl Jacobsen to create a statue of the Little Mermaid to sit on a granite stone at Langelinie Pier, wistfully looking for her prince.

The sculpture, which stands 125 centimetres high and weighs 175 kilograms, has watched over the Copenhagen port since 1913.

Wednesday's incident was just the latest of a slew of mishaps that have befallen her.

In the past 40 years, she has been decapitated twice, most recently in January 1998 after a 1990 attempt failed. She has had a bra and knickers painted on her, has been entirely covered in paint on more than one occasion, and has had her right arm cut off.

In September 2003, attackers tossed the bronze artwork in the water, where police later recovered it, and in December 2004 she was draped in a burka and a sash reading "Turkey in the EU?" by opponents of the Muslim country's entry into the block.

and danes wonder why muslims are pissed at their denmark.

Wesker
I was wondering where Michael Jackson went.

PVS
"In the past 40 years, she has been decapitated twice, most recently in January 1998 after a 1990 attempt failed. She has had a bra and knickers painted on her, has been entirely covered in paint on more than one occasion, and has had her right arm cut off."

she cannot be killed! fear

soleran30
Let Muslims try and do that to the Statue of liberty cuz in the USA we take that seriously.......................our assaults would begin with the USA barraging the middle east with dolls of baby jesus!

The Omega
Being a citizen of Denmark I wonder why I haven't heard this story.
Could it be that it is because it is a LIE???
probably invented by people like soleran30, who seems to think Muslims are behind ALL evil in the world...
Weird...

soleran30
Originally posted by The Omega
Being a citizen of Denmark I wonder why I haven't heard this story.
Could it be that it is because it is a LIE???
probably invented by people like soleran30, who seems to think Muslims are behind ALL evil in the world...
Weird...

LOL yeah right wake up and smell the sarcasm................ roll eyes (sarcastic)

shaber
I wonder if it's true that art that is not aesthetically idealised can have a detrimental effect towards mental health.

anti-her0
Originally posted by soleran30
Let Muslims try and do that to the Statue of liberty cuz in the USA we take that seriously.......................our assaults would begin with the USA barraging the middle east with dolls of baby jesus!

you do know jesus is part of islam, right?

soleran30
Originally posted by anti-her0
you do know jesus is part of islam, right?

you must lighten up and not take yourself so seriously........not a sermon just a thought

Oh and your answer yes , he was a prophet.

Fishy
That statue is tough as hell.... Cheap joke though not even slightly funny.

finti
laughing out loud laughing

debbiejo
COPENHAGEN (AFP) - Denmark's national symbol, the Little Mermaid sculpture perched on a rock overlooking the Copenhagen port, was splattered with green paint by vandals and adorned with a dildo.

. Now everyone knows that a mermaid can't use a dildo right??????????? laughing out loud

Look they are just not made like us............lol wink

FeceMan
Lol.

WrathfulDwarf

The Little Mermaid, one of Denmark's biggest tourist attractions, is based on the character created by Hans Christian Andersen in an 1837 fairytale.

Totally False! We all know that The Little Mermaid was a Disney Cartoon. Damn those thieves! roll eyes (sarcastic)

btw- here is a link to the article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/denmarkwomenoffbeat

And why are you posting this NOW!? This took place on March 9th.

There is something rotten in Denmark......and is not the cheese. stick out tongue

sharpedge
ohh well thanks... let me check it out!!

Makedde
I think this is kinda funny...laughing

finti
sure they can, they have a mouth havent they................everything for the joy of the spectators eek!

debbiejo
Oh my god.................The imagery is just too disturbing... paperbag1

The Omega
Ohhh... it was sarcasm...?? Well, then... And that a mermaid cannot use a dildo does not mean she could not be "adorned" with one (-shrugs-).
I don't buy the sudden change of mood, though...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.