"Their Levees Vs. Our Levees"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-hh-
got this off another site

Here's how the British hold back the waters from flooding London:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0112-10.jpg

And the Dutch solution to protecting an entire nation that mostly rests below sea level:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0112-11.jpg

The Italians are defending their city on the sea, Venice:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0112-15.jpg

And...
Here's how the richest, most powerful and technologically advanced
nation on earth protected against the long-forecasted flooding of New Orleans:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0112-13.jpg

Hit_and_Miss
I wouldn't say america is the most tech advanced... Maybe in terms of war machines... But Japan and koreans are quite skilled at making small tvs! and now even internet microwaves...

Slay
Originally posted by -hh-
got this off another site

Here's how the British hold back the waters from flooding London:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0112-10.jpg

And the Dutch solution to protecting an entire nation that mostly rests below sea level:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0112-11.jpg

The Italians are defending their city on the sea, Venice:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0112-15.jpg

And...
Here's how the richest, most powerful and technologically advanced
nation on earth protected against the long-forecasted flooding of New Orleans:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/images/0112-13.jpg
I stood on those Dutch levees once.And I walked around in the tunnels inside of them.Quite a mighty feeling.

Shakyamunison
We are stupid! Both Republicans and Demarcates alike, don't care about people, only about money and votes.

Arachnoidfreak
hehheheh

laughing out loud

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
We are stupid! Both Republicans and Demarcates alike, don't care about people, only about money and votes. Not true,

democrats=The People
Republicans=The Money

you F*cked up with this one america, maybe next election you'll think before you vote no

debbiejo
I've been to the Hoover Dam once...That's pretty huge...Massive.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Revernd Maynard
Not true,

democrats=The People
Republicans=The Money

you F*cked up with this one america, maybe next election you'll think before you vote no

IMO
You are wrong and I am a Democrat. My party is a pile of shit that has been taken over by the "I hate" group. The Democrats would have not done anything different; maybe we would have cried better.

Sorry if that offends you, but I sick of both parties.

Revernd Maynard
IMO
You are wrong and I am a Democrat. My party is a pile of shit that has been taken over by the "I hate" group. The Democrats would have not done anything different; maybe we would have cried better.

Sorry if that offends you, but I sick of both parties.

IMO

You are wrong. Democrats would never have went to war, which fricked up our economy/ the publics view of the government.

If Bush would have never had won the election the first time, we wouldn't be in this mess, because Al Gore would've owned.

Now John Kerry was a giant douche, so i'm glad he didn't get voted into office.

BUT I DIGRESS.....

War+9/11=Shit load of pressure on a president.
War=Operation Iraqi Liberation (aka OIL)

He used 9/11 as a scapegoat to go to war,

sorry if i offend, but its the god awefull truth

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Revernd Maynard
IMO

You are wrong. Democrats would never have went to war, which fricked up our economy/ the publics view of the government.

If Bush would have never had won the election the first time, we wouldn't be in this mess, because Al Gore would've owned.

Now John Kerry was a giant douche, so i'm glad he didn't get voted into office.

BUT I DIGRESS.....

War+9/11=Shit load of pressure on a president.
War=Operation Iraqi Liberation (aka OIL)

He used 9/11 as a scapegoat to go to war,

sorry if i offend, but its the god awefull truth

Oh really. What about WWII?

Revernd Maynard
Oh really. What about WWII? I stand corrected

WWII is indeed the only war we needed to go into

thank you for that point roll eyes (sarcastic)

PVS
who knows if they would have fixed the levees, but they sure as shit would have had adequate national guard response...since they would have been in the u.s. where they belong, protecting the homeland instead of halfway around the world in a sand pit.

WrathfulDwarf
-hh- did you obtain those pictures and article from commondreams.org? The reason I'm asking is because when I saw the N.O. levees on tv. They were not like the ones your posting. They seem bigger than the ones in the picture your posting.

-hh-
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
-hh- did you obtain those pictures and article from commondreams.org? The reason I'm asking is because when I saw the N.O. levees on tv. They were not like the ones your posting. They seem bigger than the ones in the picture your posting. no, i didn't get it from there

KidRock
Well..George bush hates black people. Are there black people in those countries? Lets ask kanye...

Swanky-Tuna
Is that American levee from after the hurricane? I wonder if it's the same levee Led Zeppelin did that song about.

Fishy
Well us Dutch people have spend the better part of our lives in this country fighting against the sea, of course we have better protection against the water then any other country in the world...

Still if thats really all New Orleans had, its quite pathetic. And I really don't see how you could possibly blame that on the republicans, 8 years of clinton didn't fix those things either.

Darth Jello
to paraphrase Jello Biafra "Oops, wrong skin color"

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Fishy
Well us Dutch people have spend the better part of our lives in this country fighting against the sea, of course we have better protection against the water then any other country in the world...

Still if thats really all New Orleans had, its quite pathetic. And I really don't see how you could possibly blame that on the republicans, 8 years of clinton didn't fix those things either.

well when funding for the levees came up in congress, the budget for them was actually cut... and who controls congress and the white house at the moment...

Ushgarak
Even if the pictures are a totally fair representation of the system- which I doubt- all this really exposes is that New Orleans was poor, which is hardly new news.

NO has always had a somewhat poverty stricken situation. London you can hardly call poor, Venice wouldn't even exist if there was no flood protection and as Fishy says, the Dutch spend their lives with this issue.

So yeah, it is a problem that there is a large wealth inequality in the States and some places lose out. It's always been a big problem. But you will probably find the same in most major western countries- away from the bright lights of the capital, places have a tendency to not get the resources they need.

Darth Jello
New Orleans should have a massive dam, several levees, and three layers of dike with an army of 150 dutch boys ready to plug an leaks with their fingers.

Fishy
Originally posted by Darth Jello
New Orleans should have a massive dam, several levees, and three layers of dike with an army of 150 dutch boys ready to plug an leaks with their fingers.

150 dutch boys ready to plug an leaks with their fingers? What the???

Darth Jello
you don't remember the story about the boy with his finger in the dike that saved holland or whatever?

Fishy
you don't remember the story about the boy with his finger in the dike that saved holland or whatever?

Yeah I heard that one before... Once from an American....

That never happened.

Darth Jello
learn to take a joke

Slay
Originally posted by Fishy
Yeah I heard that one before... Once from an American....

That never happened.
No shit...
He's just trying to be funny...

Fishy
learn to take a joke

Well that guy believed it happeneed...

Darth Jello
i don't even know how to respond to that

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by KidRock
Are there black people in those countries?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.