Satellite Radio????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
I had no CLUE where to put this so Im putting it in here. Move it if need be.

My uncle wants me to see if this is worth getting or not. I know absolutely nothing about it. He's wanting a portable one. We live out in the sticks in the middle of the country. Would this be worth it? Are these pretty reliable? Do you get good reception even if the weather sucks?

Does anyone have one of these or know anything about these systems? I know there is XM Radio and Syrius.

LanceWindu
All I know is I want one...but I'm holding out for prices to be even cheaper than they are.

Jedi Priestess
Right now if you buy it off the XM Radio site you can get a portable one with a 50 dollar rebate making the cost better.

XM2go (portable)
Pioneer AirWare $199.99 $50 Rebate $149.99
TAO $199.99 $50 Rebate $149.99
Delphi MyFi $224.99 $50 Rebate $174.99

I hate it when he sends me to buy this stuff cause Im clueless. erm

LanceWindu
I just don't like monthly fees. erm

Darth Jello
well, since the FCC is going waaay over their authority and no longer really doing their job (ie. commanding violent and brutal FBI raides on pirate radio and tv stations, censoring and fining TV and radio even when it violates double jeopordy and statues of limitation,attempting to put pressure/censor cable channels they have no jurisdiction over, wanting to censor the internet, wanting to restrict unpopular political speech, supporting monopolistic media consolidation, etc.) XM is gonna be the only truely free radio medium soon

Jedi Priestess
huh how does that rant in ANY way pertain to what I need to know?

Darth Jello
just pointing out that if you can afford it, it's a good move in principle

Jedi Priestess
oh, well I cant. laughing out loud My uncle is getting it for himself, he just wants me to be the one to pick it up and set it up.

Wesker
I have XM radio in my car. It's like 30-40 a month. The unrated comedy station is amazing, but the rest is so-so. Commercials still feature twice an hour, for abour four minutes or so, and they're all geared towards office workers and do-it-yourselfers, which is annoying. And really... it's like having digital cable: who needs all those channels? Plus the reception cuts out at the drive thru.

Jedi Priestess
He wants it for sports and news. He has no interest in the music part of it. He works outside alot and always has his portable radio with him. And why does it say 12.95 on their website if you are paying 40 bux a month?

Wesker
It is good for sports and news, I will say that. And I pay that much probably because the website's offering a promotional deal or something.

Lana
Either that or it's a base price, and extra stuff costs extra....

Personally, as I don't pay much attention to sports or the news (at least not on the radio, I'll read the newspaper for that), I'd never bother with satellite radio. I have my car adapter for my iPod, which is good enough for me.

Wesker
I have one of those adapters, but it's frequency based and messes up a lot.

Lana
Oh, I had one of the radio ones too and it broke. I use a good old tape deck adapter, same sort you can get for a discman.

Wesker
I don't have a tape player though. Car's a newer model, and doesn't have one, so I have the flimsy iTravel. I'd rather play Cds, to be quite honest.

Lana
Ahhh.

I prefer to not carry CDs around, so I use my iPod. I carry enough junk around with me on a daily business going to school anyway.

Wesker
Easy for me. I'm real narrow-focused on what bands and songs I listen to. I generally rip my CDs to computer and pack away the original copies, and just make car copies, or burn cds for travel.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Lana
Either that or it's a base price, and extra stuff costs extra....

Personally, as I don't pay much attention to sports or the news (at least not on the radio, I'll read the newspaper for that), I'd never bother with satellite radio. I have my car adapter for my iPod, which is good enough for me.

Well you arent a 72 year old bachelor who loves baseball, CNN and the stock market now are ya? no expression

I think I asked this on the wrong forum. Seems no one here outside of Wesker knows anything abot these. Moving on...........

BackFire
They seem pretty cool if you listen to the radio often or drive often. I'd rather have this then an Ipod or something of the like.

Lana
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Well you arent a 72 year old bachelor who loves baseball, CNN and the stock market now are ya? no expression

I think I asked this on the wrong forum. Seems no one here outside of Wesker knows anything abot these. Moving on...........

Well excuse the hell out of me for having an opinion, I wasn't aware that if it wasn't something you wanted to hear I wasn't allowed to express it. Though I suppose I should be used to that by now.

LanceWindu
May can't come soon enough.

Wesker
What happens in May? *Is nosy*

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Wesker
What happens in May? *Is nosy*

Oh...uh...I'll get a good amount of money so I can get satellite radio. shifty

Wesker
I'd rather spend the money on something else. For me, it's really not worth it.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by LanceWindu
May can't come soon enough.

ditto smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.