do ANIMALS also have faith/relegion in some sense

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonheartmm
well we know for a fact that higher animals arent just instinct driven, they have intelligence, they think in their free time and even dream. so im thinkin since faith in SUMTHING seems to be such a basic need of the human brain to function and human to feal motivated enough to survive, do animals like chimps etc also have faith{even if innately} in sumthing in sum way in their mind or are they just to dum to even consider that sorta stuff and is sex reason enough for them to survive?

Morgoths_Wrath
maybe you should ask them

xyz revolution
ofcourse not. Religion is man-made. What it all comes down to is being happy. Animals such as dogs n cats only need food n play to be happy. With humans it's more complex and we need a lot more to be happy. Thus religion was born. And the non-explained ofcourse. That's how religion started, was it not?

debbiejo
I don't believe they have faith, just instinct..

leonheartmm
actually no, cats and dogs arent that simple. if a cat is avoided, itll leave the room, in a bad mood. animals are more complicated than most people realize. and also i dont mean ORGANIZED relegion, i mean FAITH in sumthin to keep em motivated and sumthin to look forward to.

leonheartmm
but theyv already been proven to have more than just instincts, many animals have shown positive evidence for higher brain functions like emotions, memory and thoughts/dreams

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by leonheartmm
actually no, cats and dogs arent that simple. if a cat is avoided, itll leave the room, in a bad mood. animals are more complicated than most people realize. and also i dont mean ORGANIZED relegion, i mean FAITH in sumthin to keep em motivated and sumthin to look forward to.

animals are simple creatures. they have no need for religion.

debbiejo
Ok, so they have feeling, I do believe that. That has even been studied in chimps. But as far as faith, I'm not sure what a person would mean. Faith in a higher power? Faith that they will get food? I don't think they really worry very much. I don't think it's been proven that they have an ego to worry about needing.....hmm

It is interesting though because I've heard that animals also have measureable energy waves that would suggest some sort of inner activity that would be more than just physical.

leonheartmm
but animals like elephants actually have ceremonies for the dead which go against logic. they all become gloomy when a group member dies, they put stuff on his body, than carress his head. then come back later, and retrieve his long teeth, and ceramoniously every one of the group walks over the long tooth and breaks it in line.

Morgoths_Wrath
but theyv already been proven to have more than just instincts, many animals have shown positive evidence for higher brain functions like emotions, memory and thoughts/dreams

I believe that animals have the capacity for thought and emotion and they are not just acting on instinct (with the exception of most insects), although instinct, or animal nature, plays a major role as well.

All you need to do is look at the frontal lobe of a human brain and compare it to that of an animal to know that human beings have a much higher sense of consciousness than animals. Years of evolution have allowed us to become complex creatures that are aware of their existence in an active manner and need a religious concept in order to explain the workings of things they do not understand, because with this heightened consciousness come the desire to ask questions and understand reality.

debbiejo
but animals like elephants actually have ceremonies for the dead which go against logic. they all become gloomy when a group member dies, they put stuff on his body, than carress his head. then come back later, and retrieve his long teeth, and ceramoniously every one of the group walks over the long tooth and breaks it in line. That is interesting, but could this only be feelings. I've also heard of Parrots that pull all their feathers off when they are depressed by being ignored, and baby chimps that have been neglected go through depression and never really can fit into their society again.

leonheartmm
and monkeys in cages get really depressed too.

Morgoths_Wrath

xyz revolution
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
maybe you should ask them as if we could speak their language. Besides, their words are probably just, "food there" or "follow me" or "I'm angry" or that's probably just a grunt/squeel.

Mindship
Animals (especially mammals) have emotions and are capable of image-thinking: thinking about the concrete world in a concrete way, and they can perform relatively complex operations along these lines. What they are Not capable of is 1) symbolic thinking, and 2) self-aware mentation (the only animal we know of which may come close is the chimpanzee).

"God" is a very rarified concept, requiring cognizance of a reality which essentially exists not only outside of sensory awareness but also outside mental awareness. Animals are not capable of this level of abstraction. The gray matter/biological hard-wiring simply isn't there; neither does anything about their behavior suggest such consciousness.

leonheartmm
no no you MISUNDERSTAND, i meant having faith in ANYTHING, like a warm feeling telling you that ITS GONNA BE OK, or being high all the time n happy cause u just KNOW theres light at the end of the tunnel, stuff like that, having faith in even the most abstract of senses.{ofcourse animals cant think up GOD, its only human stupidity that can achieve such dazzling feats }

Morgoths_Wrath
no no you MISUNDERSTAND, i meant having faith in ANYTHING, like a warm feeling telling you that ITS GONNA BE OK, or being high all the time n happy cause u just KNOW theres light at the end of the tunnel, stuff like that, having faith in even the most abstract of senses.{ofcourse animals cant think up GOD, its only human stupidity that can achieve such dazzling feats }

human stupidity?

leonheartmm
yup, human stupidity the extent of which was the only thing einstien thought was infinite, along with the universe{and he wasnt even sure about the universe}

Morgoths_Wrath
so you're saying God and religion are stupid?

debbiejo
Einstein was a very intelligent guy, I have to agree. He knew there was something bigger.

leonheartmm
well yes they are stupid but thas another debate completely{ORGANIZED relegion is stupid}

Wesker
I'm glad the opposition is so open minded...

Anyways, animals have no use for religion. No abstract thinking, no wondering about what exists beyond death. Animals cater to the basic needs more than we do and revolve their thinking around that.

Hack Benjamin
Animals are more in-tune to how the real world works then we do infact, they KNOW there's a world beyond this one, but they also know there's very little reason to worry about it, less ofcourse your smack dab infront of being from another plane..

Animals are too busy worrying about shelter, survival, thier next meal, and finding a mate to worry about what lies ahead of them..

Mindship

Gotcha.

IMO, "having faith," per se, still implies being able to deliberately, consciously believe in things which are not apparent. In involves an outside-the-box grasp of time, space and possibility.

Animals are confined to the box.

Bowser jr
Animals have NO religion. They just follow instinct. beer evil face smokin' rock

debbiejo
First, I think they'd need a "Real" Sacrificial lamb, and worship it, then they could all meet on Sundays and convert the other animals preaching hell and damnation.......

finti
or a golden calf

debbiejo
OH no..........a new denomination......... eek!

finti
yeah judaislamistcatholicprotestant christians

debbiejo
There will be a lot of grunten and moaning at that church.......Must be pentecostals with fur and feathers....

finti
no just a blazzing hell hole of confusion or your every day religious comunity as we also can call it

debbiejo
OH.......hell then......full of postulations. Though those little animal missionaries might get eaten by pagan animals..Or be sacrificed on a pentacle by the satanic animals and throwing the words around "I mote thee".............hahahaha.....

apoc001
I think I agree with most of you here. Man was given the dominance over the beasts of the earth. Animals don't have the same kinds of souls that we do. I could give a really complicated explanation right now but I don't think there would be much point.

CaptainStoic
I believe that animals have thought processes, but they don't really reflect on any given thing... hence, if they did why haven't they invented anything? I read a book once on how to raise an obedient dog, In this book it said for me not to yell at your animal 30 minutes after it did wrong, because it would not realise what you were angry about. Here's an example, many people that work, and have dogs sometimes come home only to find out that their dog has taken a crap on the floor. The animal may have done this hours ago, but will still may be scolded for it. This is contrary to what the book said to do. My point ; If the animal doesn't remember doing something as hideous as this, I don't really see how they do reflect, so it would never be possible for them to form complex thoughts, which logic would dictate that is isn't possible for them to believe in a higher being, other than the food that they eat.

Great Vengeance
Lol...Ofcourse not, animals couldnt be bothered with something as stupid as religion.

Rayvann
Animals possess only base instincts and the lowest levels of intelligence. Their lives are basic and have no need of outside influences such as religion.

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Rayvann
Animals possess only base instincts and the lowest levels of intelligence. Their lives are basic and have no need of outside influences such as religion.

And therein lies the wisdom of animals.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by debbiejo
OH.......hell then......full of postulations. Though those little animal missionaries might get eaten by pagan animals..Or be sacrificed on a pentacle by the satanic animals and throwing the words around "I mote thee".............hahahaha.....

laughing

Atlantis001
Animals are not just instinct, they have feelings, and emotions too, and even some mental capacities, but I think these are limited to sensory information, they do not think beyond it.

Quiero Mota
well we know for a fact that higher animals arent just instinct driven, they have intelligence, they think in their free time and even dream. so im thinkin since faith in SUMTHING seems to be such a basic need of the human brain to function and human to feal motivated enough to survive, do animals like chimps etc also have faith{even if innately} in sumthing in sum way in their mind or are they just to dum to even consider that sorta stuff and is sex reason enough for them to survive?

Were you high when you made this thread, ese?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.