Christians worship the bible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison
The bible is just a book, and the purpose of this book is to communicate. What should be important is the idea behind the myth, but some Christians take the bible word for word as if it was some kind of divine book.

Are Christians, like this, breaking the first commandment?

Is the bible an ideal that Christians worship?

Fishy
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The bible is just a book, and the purpose of this book is to communicate. What should be important is the idea behind the myth, but some Christians take the bible word for word as if it was some kind of divine book.

Thats one of the biggest problems I have with Christianity, they follow the book of the bible to closely. It was a book that was still written by man and translated half a million times before it became what it is now. Many things have likely changed and worshipping the bible is foolish, instead you should worship the idea's given in the bible not the exact words because they are likely changed by humans.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Fishy
Thats one of the biggest problems I have with Christianity, they follow the book of the bible to closely. It was a book that was still written by man and translated half a million times before it became what it is now. Many things have likely changed and worshipping the bible is foolish, instead you should worship the idea's given in the bible not the exact words because they are likely changed by humans. Well the Bible was never written by a man nor Christ, It was written with influence by the Rome Catholic church which took more of Paul writing seriously than Jesus's writings....(Yet Paul never had met Jesus)...

Wesker
Indeed, Paul's spiritual experience was probably him catching a glint of the sun in his eye, falling off his horse and causing trauma to his head which affected his orientation and thus made him think his own inner voice was an outer voice and that of God, and thus he became a prominent Christian figure.

Of course, I could just have thought about that for one second too long.

debbiejo
IMO Paul could never prove his experience. In fact I could say the same thing myself if I wanted to include people to the way I was thinking.....I could too!!! (talented ya know hehe).....though funny how a whole believe system was based on such a man that had never ever met Jesus at all....actually not so funny, cause it shaped the whole faith............Killed what could of been a good message by Jesus.

Adam_PoE
How can Christians be considered as worshipping the Bible when the majority of them do/have not read it?

Wesker
Or those who have don't realize the contradictions in it.

Punker69
I dont worship the Bible. What kind of idiot worships the Bible? I just follow the teachings taught in it for Christians.

I dont bow down to it every morning at six for morning worship.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Punker69
I dont worship the Bible. What kind of idiot worships the Bible? I just follow the teachings taught in it for Christians.

I dont bow down to it every morning at six for morning worship.

But you have it with you, and you keep it with you and you talk about it. You don't have to bow down to it to worship it.

Punker69
I dont worship it. This thread is badly titled. I dont think anyone "worships" or idolizes their Bible.

No, I dont worship the Bible. I worship God and acknowledge his teachings and apply them to my life.

Shakyamunison
I dont worship it. This thread is badly titled. I dont think anyone "worships" or idolizes their Bible.

No, I dont worship the Bible. I worship God and acknowledge his teachings and apply them to my life.

What if I told you the bible was filled with lies?

Punker69
Psalms 3

"Many are they increased that trouble me. Many are they that rise up against me. Many there be which say of my soul there is no help for him in God. But thou o lord art a shield for me"

Besides, i've been in his presense too much to doubt his existence.

debbiejo
Psalms 3

"Many are they increased that trouble me. Many are they that rise up against me. Many there be which say of my soul there is no help for him in God. But thou o lord art a shield for me"

Besides, i've been in his presense too much to doubt his existence. Wow, shaky asked you "What if the Bible was filled with lies", and you answered with a scripture!!.........You do worship the Bible don't you..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Wow, shaky asked you "What if the Bible was filled with lies", and you answered with a scripture!!.........You do worship the Bible don't you..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

You beat me to it. stick out tongue

Wesker
lmao.

Repeat after me:

"Word of God, for the people of God.... Thanks be to God."

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Wesker
lmao.

Repeat after me:

"Word of God, for the people of God.... Thanks be to God."

Thanks be to the Word of God. wink

Wesker
I've always heard different. But then when you have a hundred or so people mumbling at once, it's hard to tell.

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
How can Christians be considered as worshipping the Bible when the majority of them do/have not read it?

Agree.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Blue nocturne
Agree.

Ignorance does not keep someone from worshiping. big grin

finti
goes for all forms of beliefs

debbiejo
Thanks be to the Word of God. wink laughing out loud Praise the word for sure....The one that keeps us in bondage...And discourages thinking.

katie_girl09

(1) I couldn't help but notice that you called it a "myth". Why do always seem so confident that Christianity is false? How can you know?
(2) The Bible is the word of God. He speaks in it and what he speaks is to be obeyed by Christians. The Holy Bible is more than just a book.

katie_girl09
Wow, shaky asked you "What if the Bible was filled with lies", and you answered with a scripture!!.........You do worship the Bible don't you..... roll eyes (sarcastic)
No. He just quoted it. Does that mean if someone quotes a movie they worship it?! This thread is badly titled.

katie_girl09
What if I told you the bible was filled with lies?
I don't know what he'd say, but I'd just ask you to prove it to me. I'd ask you to prove to me beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Bible is full of lies.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by katie_girl09
(1) I couldn't help but notice that you called it a "myth". Why do always seem so confident that Christianity is false? How can you know?
(2) The Bible is the word of God. He speaks in it and what he speaks is to be obeyed by Christians. The Holy Bible is more than just a book.

Why do you believe a myth is a lie. I never said that a myth is a lie. I think you worship the bible.

I don't know what he'd say, but I'd just ask you to prove it to me. I'd ask you to prove to me beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Bible is full of lies.

Why do you need proof? Don't you have faith?

Punker69
Why do you believe a myth is a lie. I never said that a myth is a lie. I think you worship the bible.

No, Christians dont "worship" the Bible. If you think so then your an idiot. Plain and simple. And if a Christian does, well, then there an idiot too. You dont worship the Bible. You worship God.

He probably uses that faith the way the Bible says to roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Black Ghost
Nice point. And besides that, the bible happens to be one of the only remaining links that tells us what our faith is supposed to be held to so it cant be lost. The bible is like a historybook, without it we would never know what happened back then and if we ever forgot that history there would be no point to Christianity at all.

LilPOS
how can you call yourselves christians...a term describing a follower of jesus christ....when you dont even honor his teachings.....

finti
you just distanced yourself from being a CHRISTIAN by being judgmental, a REAL CHRISTIAN wont judge others regardless of their action by not judging they lives by that code given to them in the bible

Rom.2.1 -2.2 Therefore you have no excuse, O man, whoever you are, when you judge another; for in passing judgment upon him you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, are doing the very same things.
We know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who do such things.

Shakyamunison

Idol
Somebody or something greatly and often fanatically admired and loved.

By saying that the bible is the word of god you have made that book an idol. Your attachment to this idol is apparent by how upset you all got at my question. Even questioning the bible is taboo; sounds like an idol to me.

Cyber Ninja
HA ha, christians out of all are hypocrites. Most christians I meet would preech one thing but then break every other law without careing but yet down someone elses throat eek.

Wesker
Idol

By saying that the bible is the word of god you have made that book an idol. Your attachment to this idol is apparent by how upset you all got at my question. Even questioning the bible is taboo; sounds like an idol to me.

I agree. And considering the human origin of the book (Because the only thing that proclaims it comes from God is the book in question and the organizations who support it) it should be viewed as potentially corrupted over time, mistranslated, or perhaps even agenda-driven. This isn't saying that Jesus Christ didn't embody and preach a lot of good morals and ideals; it's just that to take a book like that literally is really blind faith. ANd the Bible does contradict itself many times over.

Rayvann
The hell? I'm a Christian and I don't worship my Bible, what nonsense is this? Hell I hardly ever read my Bible... all it does is just collect dust most of the time.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Rayvann
The hell? I'm a Christian and I don't worship my Bible, what nonsense is this? Hell I hardly ever read my Bible... all it does is just collect dust most of the time.

Then why would you care what is said here?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Rayvann
You're a Christian and you don't read your Bible...........What kind of Christian are you? huh ........lol

Punker69
Originally posted by finti
you just distanced yourself from being a CHRISTIAN by being judgmental, a REAL CHRISTIAN wont judge others regardless of their action by not judging they lives by that code given to them in the bible

Rom.2.1 -2.2 Therefore you have no excuse, O man, whoever you are, when you judge another; for in passing judgment upon him you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, are doing the very same things.

Haha, I can judge people according to the Bible. Because it also says on numerous occassions to worship God. Do you want all those scriptures?

I can tell someone where they're heading if they dont except Jesus as their saviour not be judgemental. But just stating the facts and given in the book of Revelations. Theres a difference between judgeing someone and proving the error of their ways in relation to the Bible.

Dont try to attack my Christianity. It wont work.

Shakyamunison
Haha, I can judge people according to the Bible. Because it also says on numerous occassions to worship God. Do you want all those scriptures?

I can tell someone where they're heading if they dont except Jesus as their saviour not be judgemental. But just stating the facts and given in the book of Revelations. Theres a difference between judgeing someone and proving the error of their ways in relation to the Bible.

Dont try to attack my Christianity. It wont work.

Yes, according to your idol, the bible. Are you breaking the first commandment?

Dawson
I'm Catholic, as the people in this thread may or may not know. Just for the record, the Bible was never meant to be taken literally or word for word. If it was then I couldn't be Christian and still believe in the theory of evolution, and yet I do.

With that cleared, I don't think that I've once met a Christian who worshipped their Bible, either in the literal sense or otherwise. I've read it, I take what it says to be true, but I don't worship it. As aforementioned, it was never meant to be taken literally. Though we believe that it was written with the influence of God, it was still written by man. He put his own ideals into it as they pertained to the time of writing, but his reason for writing was being under God's grace.

The Black Ghost
Posted by finti: "you just distanced yourself from being a CHRISTIAN by being judgmental, a REAL CHRISTIAN wont judge others regardless of their action by not judging they lives by that code given to them in the bible"

--Where does it ever say that Christians cannot be judgemental? Not even in the Bible! You can judge others but its how you react to your judgements that determine how much of a Christian you truly are.

Posted by Rayvann: "The hell? I'm a Christian and I don't worship my Bible, what nonsense is this? Hell I hardly ever read my Bible... all it does is just collect dust most of the time."

--You cant call yourself a Christian unless you act like one. Just because you go to church doesnt make you a Christian although you are right not to worship the bible because it is just a tool. A truthful one.

Wesker
Originally posted by Dawson
I'm Catholic, as the people in this thread may or may not know. Just for the record, the Bible was never meant to be taken literally or word for word. If it was then I couldn't be Christian and still believe in the theory of evolution, and yet I do.

With that cleared, I don't think that I've once met a Christian who worshipped their Bible, either in the literal sense or otherwise. I've read it, I take what it says to be true, but I don't worship it. As aforementioned, it was never meant to be taken literally. Though we believe that it was written with the influence of God, it was still written by man. He put his own ideals into it as they pertained to the time of writing, but his reason for writing was being under God's grace.

A lot of the problems that arise between science and religion come from people who A- take the Bible literally, but in a sense still impose their own interpretations on it, and B- attack and stereotype those of the scientific persuasion as "atheists", "chimp cousins", and they will "rot in Hell". I think these people give religion a bad rep that it doesn't deserve as a whole.

While I may not accept religion as a valid argument stance in many cases, this doesn't mean I think that all religious people are wrong or bad, etc. That's a vicious stereotype. But the more literal ones who do everything they can to tear apart science just amuse me.

Wesker
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
Posted by finti: "you just distanced yourself from being a CHRISTIAN by being judgmental, a REAL CHRISTIAN wont judge others regardless of their action by not judging they lives by that code given to them in the bible"

--Where does it ever say that Christians cannot be judgemental? Not even in the Bible! You can judge others but its how you react to your judgements that determine how much of a Christian you truly are.

Posted by Rayvann: "The hell? I'm a Christian and I don't worship my Bible, what nonsense is this? Hell I hardly ever read my Bible... all it does is just collect dust most of the time."

--You cant call yourself a Christian unless you act like one. Just because you go to church doesnt make you a Christian although you are right not to worship the bible because it is just a tool. A truthful one.

"Let he who has no sin cast the first stone"...

Even I know that story. And also, God reserves the right to judge, not men.

finti
where ? well one of the places are the Romans since you clearly didnt read my entire post and dont know your bible to well I reapeat it

debbiejo
Don't judge, and you won't be judged. Don't condemn, and you won't be condemned. Set free, and you will be set free.
Luke 6:37

7.2: For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you.
Matt 7:2

Said by Jesus.

katie_girl09

Myth: A fiction or half truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology
Saying something is a myth IS saying that it is untrue.

Yes, I have faith. Faith in Jesus Christ. But if you intend to prove to me that for some reason Christianity and the Bible are full of lies, then you have to present me with tangible proof. Obviously, since you constantly insinuate that there is no supernatural being, you have to have tangible proof, right?

katie_girl09
Idol

Upset? Who on Earth said that I was upset? And you really do sound confused to me in terms of what the Bible represents to Christians. It is a physical book that contains the words of God. You do not worship it. Do you wanna know a group that worships their holy book? I believe that the Sikhs (sp?) have a book that gets its own room (I'm not sure if it is them exactly, but one of the religions in India). That, Shaky, is worshipping a book.

Shakyamunison

katie_girl09

Shakyamunison

katie_girl09

If you have truly deep faith it will not matter to you that others wish to destroy your faith.
Not true. Eventually you will get annoyed that people keep trashing what you believe in and insist on making you out to be unintelligent and closed-minded because of it. Its human nature.

Shakyamunison

The Disagreer
You may win the hand but you will lose the game. Heaven is for those that accept Christ and hell is for those that don't. You know where you fit in.

Storm

Shakyamunison

Wesker

Shakyamunison
I agree. If the end all is obediance and belief, that doesn't speak much for morality.

That would explain why some of the most evil people I have ever met were Christian.

Wesker
Or at least said they were.

Shakyamunison
Or at least said they were.

I would think a preacher was a Christian, and a man who molests his daughters is defiantly evil. However, the devil made him do it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Wesker
lol

Shakyamunison
lol

sad

debbiejo
Originally posted by The Disagreer
You may win the hand but you will lose the game. Heaven is for those that accept Christ and hell is for those that don't. You know where you fit in. Not true. As we are all made up of energy at our essence, we will all return to whatever source we came from. There is also a scripture that says "The spirit returns to god who gave it."....AND there is no Hell for nonbelievers. This was the lie manufactured by the Roman Catholic church...........Sooooo be happy, you're all free!!! beer

Shakyamunison
Not true. As we are all made up of energy at our essence, we will all return to whatever source we came from. There is also a scripture that says "The spirit returns to god who gave it."....AND there is no Hell for nonbelievers. This was the lie manufactured by the Roman Catholic church...........Sooooo be happy, you're all free!!! beer

Do you think he/she will listen? I give him/her encouragement and he/she sends me to hell. I think he/she will feel resentment towards anyone who disagrees with him/her.

katie_girl09

Shakyamunison

docb77
I think some people who call themselves Christians do actually worship the Bible. I've thought that for quite a while actually. No matter how much you talk about Jesus and preach faith, the faith's pretty much dead if your first and last appeal is to the bible. The Bible should be a place to learn about God, but ultimately we need a relationship with him that is bigger than a book.

Good question Shaky! thumb up

The Disagreer
Well said docb77.

docb77
thanks!

smart

Black Rob

Is the bible an ideal that Christians worship? Christians don't worship the bible,they follow it's stories as guide to life.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Black Rob
Christians don't worship the bible,they follow it's stories as guide to life.

I don't think you understand the question.

Black Rob
I don't think you understand the question. After rereading the post what the guy was trying to say by following the bible's rules and guidelines,Christian's are raising it to the level of God. While i see where that logic comes from,everything in the Bible is meant to be "divinely influenced" by God himself,so by following the bible you are actually listening to God himself

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Black Rob
After rereading the post what the guy was trying to say by following the bible's rules and guidelines,Christian's are raising it to the level of God. While i see where that logic comes from,everything in the Bible is meant to be "divinely influenced" by God himself,so by following the bible you are actually listening to God himself

Ok you do understand.

Many of them don't realize that. The bible is just a book, were as, God is inside each of us.

Shakyamunison
Could you still have your religion if all bibles wear destroyed?

JesusIsAlive

The Bible is not just a book. The Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God , and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

The Word of God lives and abides forever.

There is no other revelation from God.

The book of Mormon is not of God. The Qu'ran is not of God. The Hadith is not of God.The Guru Granth Sahib is not of God. The Analects is not of God. The Bhagavad Gita is not of God. The Tao-te-ching is not of God. The Upanishads is not of God. The Veda is not of God. The Zend-Avesta is not of God. The Pahlavi Texts are not of God. The Doctrine and Covenants is not of God. All of these works are likeadditions to the Word of God, but they are not the Word of God. God will add to those who teach from these texts the plagues that are written in the Bible. If anyone takes away from the words of God's Book, God shall take away from him/her their part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in the Bible.

Pandemoniac
For a god that wants his word spread so desperately, he sure sucks at publishing it then, with so many other competitors around.

The bible is not written by god. nor does it represents the true essence of him if he were to be for real. It is a collection of human interpretations of not understood or misinterpreted events, with a extra dose of fairy-telling added.

Imperial_Samura

I dare say it is likely.

What is one of the most fundamental aspects of Christianity? The acceptance of Christ as the Messiah. Yet what is the source of Jesus? The Bible. What is Jesus voice? The Bible. What commands the Christian faith and defines them? The Bible. What is the source of God? The Bible.

A Christian worships a concept created by the Bible, and many do indeed seem to loose site of that - they resort to the Bible like it is the living, breathing hotline to God. Any doubt, any question about life and how it should be lived? Obey the Bible. "The Bible says that Jesus..." It is treated as infallible and perfect by some, unquestionable, set in stone. To question it is almost sacrilege.

Really another should be added to the Trinity - The Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost and the Word (as in the Bible.)

sonnet
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
I dare say it is likely.

What is one of the most fundamental aspects of Christianity? The acceptance of Christ as the Messiah. Yet what is the source of Jesus? The Bible. What is Jesus voice? The Bible. What commands the Christian faith and defines them? The Bible. What is the source of God? The Bible.

A Christian worships a concept created by the Bible, and many do indeed seem to loose site of that - they resort to the Bible like it is the living, breathing hotline to God. Any doubt, any question about life and how it should be lived? Obey the Bible. "The Bible says that Jesus..." It is treated as infallible and perfect by some, unquestionable, set in stone. To question it is almost sacrilege.

Really another should be added to the Trinity - The Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost and the Word (as in the Bible.)
Actually the Word is already part of the trinity- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...... And the Word became flesh and came to live among us... John 1:1 and 14.
Now you also know why the Word is indeed divine and from God and we do not accept any other as from God.
We also realise that you did not know this because you do not know the Bible/Word of God.

sonnet
Do you think he/she will listen? I give him/her encouragement and he/she sends me to hell. I think he/she will feel resentment towards anyone who disagrees with him/her.
You seem to forget one thing. We are soul, body and spirit. The Bible says it is the soul (your emotional, character ) that is lost and needs to be saved.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by sonnet
Actually the Word is already part of the trinity- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...... And the Word became flesh and came to live among us... John 1:1 and 14.
Now you also know why the Word is indeed divine and from God and we do not accept any other as from God.
We also realise that you did not know this because you do not know the Bible/Word of God.

Though, to be far, if one is dubious about the claim of divine inspiration, one essentially has people worshipping the ideas presented in a man-made book (or, more accurately, collection of documents) - the book itself.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
The Bible is not just a book. The Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God , and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

The Word of God lives and abides forever.

There is no other revelation from God.

The book of Mormon is not of God. The Qu'ran is not of God. The Hadith is not of God.The Guru Granth Sahib is not of God. The Analects is not of God. The Bhagavad Gita is not of God. The Tao-te-ching is not of God. The Upanishads is not of God. The Veda is not of God. The Zend-Avesta is not of God. The Pahlavi Texts are not of God. The Doctrine and Covenants is not of God. All of these works are likeadditions to the Word of God, but they are not the Word of God. God will add to those who teach from these texts the plagues that are written in the Bible. If anyone takes away from the words of God's Book, God shall take away from him/her their part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in the Bible.

So, you would definitely be a bible worshiper.

Shakyamunison
You seem to forget one thing. We are soul, body and spirit. The Bible says it is the soul (your emotional, character ) that is lost and needs to be saved.

You do not have a soul. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance

While we realize the Bible is one book amongst many (including non-religious ones) and there is no reason that it is more credible than any other.

Remind me agian how the "word" became "flesh" yet is a book?

spencerspider
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
For a god that wants his word spread so desperately, he sure sucks at publishing it then, with so many other competitors around.

The bible is not written by god. nor does it represents the true essence of him if he were to be for real. It is a collection of human interpretations of not understood or misinterpreted events, with a extra dose of fairy-telling added.

seems to me god has had his book on earth for quite some time. there are rarely any books that does what the bible has done

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by spencerspider
seems to me god has had his book on earth for quite some time. there are rarely any books that does what the bible has done

No argument that the bible has had great influence in the world, but so has the Koran or the Lotus sutra.

Alliance
there are rarely any books that does what the bible has done
Then you apparently don't read enough. Aristotle come to mind?

debbiejo
Yes they really do worship the scripture just like the Muslims do.........

Imperial_Samura

And? The Bible isn't the oldest text out there. Nor the oldest religious text.

And what do you mean "rarely any books that does what the Bible has done"?

You mean be the centrepoint of a religion? Seems to me there are a few. Or do you mean what it says? Seems to me there are more then a few.

JesusIsAlive
Upset? Who on Earth said that I was upset? And you really do sound confused to me in terms of what the Bible represents to Christians. It is a physical book that contains the words of God. You do not worship it. Do you wanna know a group that worships their holy book? I believe that the Sikhs (sp?) have a book that gets its own room (I'm not sure if it is them exactly, but one of the religions in India). That, Shaky, is worshipping a book.

It is called the Guru Granth Sahib. Yes, you are correct the Bible is the Word of God. No, we do not worship the Book but the One Who authored it by divine inspiration. You are correct that it is Sikhism. My boy is Punjabi and his religion is Sikhism.

Imperial_Samura
It is called the Guru Granth Sahib. Yes, you are correct the Bible is the Word of God. No, we do not worship the Book but the One Who authored it by divine inspiration. You are correct that it is Sikhism. My boy is Punjabi and his religion is Sikhism.

Yet if the chance exists that there is no divine other behind the Bible your worship goes no futher then it, since that Bible is the only source of God.

And if you claim not, then you should give equal consideration to the Sikh texts, which are also living (in their eyes.)

sonnet
Though, to be far, if one is dubious about the claim of divine inspiration, one essentially has people worshipping the ideas presented in a man-made book (or, more accurately, collection of documents) - the book itself.
What makes you think that by using the Bible as our guide, inspiration, ect and believing that it is the divine Word of God, that we are worshipping it? You clearly do not know the meaning of the word worship. We worship God.

Lord Urizen
What makes you think that by using the Bible as our guide, inspiration, ect and believing that it is the divine Word of God, that we are worshipping it? You clearly do not know the meaning of the word worship. We worship God.

Wait...so who do you worship? God or Jesus Christ ?

Imperial_Samura

Through the word of God. And if there is no God then you are worshipping the book.

JesusIsAlive
Don't let the enemy (satan) deceive you, receive Christ into your heart and life. Hell abounds with atheists. If they could turn back the hands of time they would desperately reach for Jesus and the chance to go to Heaven. But there is no more hope for them. Don't be numbered among them. The Holy Spirit bears witness that what I speak is Truth.

Jesus Christ is Lord. Do you want eternal life? Then admit that you are a sinner, then ask Jesus Christ to give you life eternal. Jesus does not condemn you, He died for you. Will you accept Jesus now? This good news is for anyone to take advantage of. God loves the world and gave His only Begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Love (i.e. Jesus Christ) wants to take you out of darkness and into His marvelous light. Will you accept? Jesus' heart desire is to give you everlasting love, life, joy, peace, comfort, happiness, glory, and sin-free consciousness. Will you receive His love? Simply ask Jesus Christ to save you from sin, satan, and from Hell. Repent: turn away from sin after admitting that you are a sinner. Jesus will wash away every sin and pour out His love upon you. The words that I speak to you are the true sayings of God Almighty. Read the Bible and see that the Lord is good. He is not holding anything against you. He has not condemned you. Jesus came to save souls not condemn them. Love--Jesus Christ--will wait for your decision. If you should choose satan, your decision will be honored by God. But choose Life, choose the Prince of Peace, choose Jesus Christ, the Son of God and you will receive eternal life. This good news is for everyone and anyone else who reads it

Imperial_Samura
Don't let the enemy (satan) deceive you, receive Christ into your heart and life. Hell abounds with atheists. If they could turn back the hands of time they would desperately reach for Jesus and the chance to go to Heaven. But there is no more hope for them. Don't be numbered among them. The Holy Spirit bears witness that what I speak is Truth.

Jesus Christ is Lord. Do you want eternal life? Then admit that you are a sinner, then ask Jesus Christ to give you life eternal. Jesus does not condemn you, He died for you. Will you accept Jesus now? This good news is for anyone to take advantage of. God loves the world and gave His only Begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Love (i.e. Jesus Christ) wants to take you out of darkness and into His marvelous light. Will you accept? Jesus' heart desire is to give you everlasting love, life, joy, peace, comfort, happiness, glory, and sin-free consciousness. Will you receive His love? Simply ask Jesus Christ to save you from sin, satan, and from Hell. Repent: turn away from sin after admitting that you are a sinner. Jesus will wash away every sin and pour out His love upon you. The words that I speak to you are the true sayings of God Almighty. Read the Bible and see that the Lord is good. He is not holding anything against you. He has not condemned you. Jesus came to save souls not condemn them. Love--Jesus Christ--will wait for your decision. If you should choose satan, your decision will be honored by God. But choose Life, choose the Prince of Peace, choose Jesus Christ, the Son of God and you will receive eternal life. This good news is for everyone and anyone else who reads it

Relevance?

sonnet
Through the word of God. And if there is no God then you are worshipping the book.
rolling on floor laughing And you realy believe that???? rolling on floor laughing

Alliance
Relevance?

Z3r0.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Alliance
Z3r0. That should go under sense and intelligence aswell.

Alliance
Across the board.

Imperial_Samura
rolling on floor laughing And you realy believe that???? rolling on floor laughing

I don't think there is a God. And if I am right - which there is a reasonable chance I am, then you are worshipping a man made concept contained in a man made book.

Is there anything wrong with that? No.

Alliance

But its shure as hell annoying when you (sonnet) tell us you're right.

JesusIsAlive
I don't think there is a God. And if I am right - which there is a reasonable chance I am, then you are worshipping a man made concept contained in a man made book.

You are wrong. There is not a slight, remote, 1% chance that you are right. God exists. I do not have the time to rehash all of my statements that I furnished in support of this. I would be here until next Sunday.

The term worship as you use it is egregiously misapplied relative to how believers in Jesus Christ relate to the Word of God (i.e. the holy Bible). We (I speak for all believers) view the Bible as God's Word, no doubt and that is it. We do not put the Bible on an altar and gaze at it from afar, then prostrate ourselves before it in adoration. Maybe your idea of worship is different from every other rational, intelligent person in the world--I don't know that is why I said maybe. Perhaps you do not understand the word worship in the sense that it connotes with respect to showing reverence or paying homage to a deity. I lift my hands to God in worship. I sing songs to God in worship. I fall down on my knees and pray to God in worship. I prostrate myself before God in worship. I acknowledge God as God, the Most Hight God in worship. I associate myself with other people of like precious faith and together with them worship God in song, dance, or what have you. I pray to the Father God in tongues daily in worship and communion. I do none of those things with regard to the Bible.

Can you see a definite pattern there?

Worshipping God and regarding His Word as the final revelation from God to His creation are night and day distinctions. None of the above actions that I do God-ward (meaning that I direct towards God) do I ever do towards His holy Word. Believers worship a Person not the object from the Person. I am not sure that you can see a clear distinction there. Believers prayerfully read and study the Word of God as a means of understanding His will (so that we can do it) more clearly. We live by the Word and even speak the Word of God in prayer. We meditate on the Word of God so that it will govern our thoughts, which in turn will direct our actions and hence our lives.

So, maybe you can see that there is a stark contrast between worshipping the Bible and living one's life in accordance with its contents, and maybe you cannot. Again, re-read this article to gain a better understanding of what worship is.

Lord Urizen
You are wrong. There is not a slight, remote, 1% chance that you are right. God exists.

That is quite a bold statement. I certainly hope you have proof to back up that assertion. Otherwise, do not make claims like that.

Imperial_Samura
You are wrong. There is not a slight, remote, 1% chance that you are right. God exists. I do not have the time to rehash all of my statements that I furnished in support of this. I would be here until next Sunday.

Less then 1% I am right? Where did that stat come from?

You see the difference here is I have actual done some religious study without being shackled to a particular one. Some I really like, I didn't find any of them true. I liked the nature, the concepts sure. I was more then open minded enough to accept them if I had some sort of religious revelation.

But you, you are prepared to give the same respect to other religions and points of view as you demand. You declare youself right and ignore all the other claims equally or more valid.

Based upon the assumption he exists, as suggested by the Bible.

Not especially.

I know what worship is. I remember reading about how Christians misunderstood it in the past when it came to the worship of other cultures. About how you misunderstand Catholic worship and the rest.

You worship God - because you think he is real. If he isn't real you worship a man-made concept born from a holy text.

JesusIsAlive
Less then 1% I am right? Where did that stat come from?

You see the difference here is I have actual done some religious study without being shackled to a particular one. Some I really like, I didn't find any of them true. I liked the nature, the concepts sure. I was more then open minded enough to accept them if I had some sort of religious revelation.

But you, you are prepared to give the same respect to other religions and points of view as you demand. You declare youself right and ignore all the other claims equally or more valid.

Based upon the assumption he exists, as suggested by the Bible.

Not especially.

I know what worship is. I remember reading about how Christians misunderstood it in the past when it came to the worship of other cultures. About how you misunderstand Catholic worship and the rest.

You worship God - because you think he is real. If he isn't real you worship a man-made concept born from a holy text.

I don't think that God is real, I believe/know that God is real. I use a different standard than you do to gain this realization.

Lord Urizen
I don't think that God is real, I believe/know that God is real. I use a different standard than you do to gain this realization.

To beleive and know are two different things....

You either have Faith or Knowledge...logically, you cannot have both.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
To beleive and know are two different things....

(Scratches head...hmmm...that's not what the Bible says).

Just what does the Bible say:

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

So...so I can believe and know? Emphatically yes!

Alliance
Originally posted by Lord Urizen

I agree.

Imperial_Samura

Technically you can't have both - do you know or do you believe?

And why is your belief of better standard then mine? I don't believe God exists. And I feel justified in this first at the lack of proof the claim has, and second because of rational, logical and scientific issues which you yourself claim can in no way be reconciled with God.

Why is my claim less valid or less relevant you own?

I am prepared to admit that while I don't believe God exists there is a slight chance I might be wrong and one might exist- hence my agnosticism. You however are not prepared to admit you might be wrong and God might not exist - who is the most open minded here?

Jim Reaper

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

That's just a recital from a piece of literature. It's not an assurance of eternal life.

Imperial_Samura

Yet you can't believe and have proof?

And that is two different things - you believe in God and as a result know that you have an afterlife. You aren't believing and knowing. And it is questionable as to the validity of knowing something for certain when at best you have evidenced faith as a premise.

Quiero Mota

No we don't; but some idiotic Bible thumpers come across that way.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
No we don't; but some idiotic Bible thumpers come across that way.

The questionable word in that sentance is "some" - some denotes not a lot...

JesusIsAlive
Yet you can't believe and have proof?

And that is two different things - you believe in God and as a result know that you have an afterlife. You aren't believing and knowing. And it is questionable as to the validity of knowing something for certain when at best you have evidenced faith as a premise.

I know and believe as I have aforestated that God exists.

I know that if I don't eat that I will eventually die. I believe that this is true so I eat.

Alliance
Argh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.