Big Brother stretching the limits?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Storm
Like last year' s Dutch version, the new Flemish Big Brother house features a woman who is seven months pregnant, raising the possibility she will give birth live on television in about 60 days, if she is not voted out of the house. The Big Brother house has also become home to the first HIV-infected contestant.

The show has received a wave of criticism and has been accused of exploiting the birth to boost its ratings.

Is Big Brother stretching the limits?

Bardock42
Bad enough that Big Brother is still on the air....

Fishy
I have to agree with Bardock here, but no its not really stretching the limits, its not breaking any laws, and the ratings will show if people will appreciate this new turn of events or not. Afterall Big Brother doesn't care why they get ratings as long as they get ratings and if this gets them that, then they will be happy.

KharmaDog
Big Brother is indeed stretching the limits of crappy televised programming.

botankus
I agree that the show sucks, but they already have live birth shows on the Discovery Health channel. These shows are also complete with blood flying everywhere and don't break for a Toyota commercial every five minutes, too.

Wesker
I'm surprised the show is still on. There's a whole mountain of such shows on even basic television nowadays.

Victor Von Doom
When they bring in a dangerous rapist and some lions, I'll watch.

debbiejo
Never watched it myself.

Yeah...I watch those shows..........I like all the gory medical shows.......

GCG
Italy's Big Brother showed last week one competitor that mentioned the question "Dove il cellulare?" (Where is the cell-phone).

They later (some 2 hours) showed him with what appeared to be AN ACTUAL CELLPHONE in his hand. So much for Reality! TV.

Big Brother is completly fake and a coreographed show.

Do not Watch Big Brother ! Do not Pay for anything that has to do with it.

botankus
Reality TV Show WRITERS Threatened Strike in 2005

An excerpt:

soleran30
The original Bachelor lives across the street from where I work downtown. I don't care if that show was scripted or not it got Aaron tons of chicks with the 2 seconds of fame.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by soleran30
The original Bachelor lives across the street from where I work downtown.

Is that your 'Claim to Fame'?

soleran30
Nope I was just saying that because I could care less if reality was scripted it worked for him to get some free PR with the ladies and I just make sure I am around to pick up the restsmile

Not to mention I have said this one pony town I live in needs all the excitment it can getsmile

GCG
You should make the original bachelor pick up your pieces !

WrathfulDwarf
As I recall this isn't the first time a reality TV show has included an HIV person into the cast. Back in 1994 The Real World San Francisco had a cast member who was HIV positive. So, I don't think they strech the limit. Is been done before...

Fishy
How about the pregnant lady?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Bardock42
Bad enough that Big Brother is still on the air....

Hit_and_Miss
I think they should put a killer on the show... Then every week, the killer is given a 1 hour "black out" where he gets to strike... If the house mates don't vote off the killer in time, he wipes them all out!

BackFire
Just another lazy new gimmick to get stupid people to watch.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
I think they should put a killer on the show... Then every week, the killer is given a 1 hour "black out" where he gets to strike... If the house mates don't vote off the killer in time, he wipes them all out!

That's like the best Idea I ever heard....

botankus
Great idea, H&M, and I'd actually watch that. They'd have to be careful not to make it like a slasher film, though.

debbiejo
No blood??????????....gore and stuff??......cry

T.M
Big Brother sucks yes

putting a 7 month pregnant woman in a show is going a to far though.

interesting fact: The man who came up with the idea for Big Brother was one of the highest funders for the Dutch car 'Spyker C8'

Alpha Centauri
Nobody "puts" these idiots in there, they choose to go.

Hence why I'd choose to load the house with a couple of extremely vicious animals if I could.

-AC

Lana

That reminds me very much of some ideas of some "extreme" reality shows my friends and I came up with while bored in high school, all of which were aimed at wiping out people dumb enough to go on a reality show.

Atlantis001
We have Big Brother here too, its a completely stupid show

Alpha Centauri
I often debate what the most stupid group is; Those who take part in these shows or those who watch them.

-AC

BackFire
They're both equal.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
As I recall this isn't the first time a reality TV show has included an HIV person into the cast. Back in 1994 The Real World San Francisco had a cast member who was HIV positive. So, I don't think they strech the limit. Is been done before...

That's why I never got Big Brother. It always seemed like a cheap knock-off of that show, before you even go into how shit it is.

People sometimes say, 'well, it was OK for the first series, because it was new'. It's just always been shit.

Alpha Centauri
Perhaps.

Though I tend to lean toward the viewers being dumber purely because of the mentality a lot of them have while watching.

-AC

Lana
Originally posted by BackFire
They're both equal.

I agree.

BackFire
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Perhaps.

Though I tend to lean toward the viewers being dumber purely because of the mentality a lot of them have while watching.

-AC

You mean: "Duhhhhhhhhhhh OH! Someones yelling, good drama!!! *drools*"?

Victor Von Doom
I'd say the viewers.

At least the contestants have a chance of getting something out of it.

Alpha Centauri
You mean: "Duhhhhhhhhhhh OH! Someones yelling, good drama!!! *drools*"?

Yeah, that plus what VVD said.

At best the participants win a fairly hefty amount of cash considering it's basically for nothing. On top of all the deals they'll get afterwards (not condoning it, it's still near criminal stupidity).

Viewers who feel they are spying or something, too idiotic.

The common excuse is "Nothing else to watch, bored." I don't get how watching a bunch of nobodies sit in a house is the solution to boredom for some random nobody...sitting in a house.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
I always feel superior when I'm sitting with people and they begin to discuss which person they like the most on American Idol and I don't know any of them.

Good times.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I always feel superior when I'm sitting with people and they begin to discuss which person they like the most on American Idol and I don't know any of them.

Good times.

Another classic is those people who think they are rebels because they admit that it's "boring" and "gone too far" after they've been controlled to sit through 4 seasons of the show anyway.

"Nah, is boring now. 5th season? COME ON!"

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Another classic is those people who think they are rebels because they admit that it's "boring" and "gone too far" after they've been controlled to sit through 4 seasons of the show anyway.

"Nah, is boring now. 5th season? COME ON!"

-AC

HEY....Season 1 to 4 were awesome....

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by Lana
That reminds me very much of some ideas of some "extreme" reality shows my friends and I came up with while bored in high school, all of which were aimed at wiping out people dumb enough to go on a reality show.

Yer I had a few others... That one actually gave the house mates a "chance" to survive.... Slim... but a chance....

Lana
Yer I had a few others... That one actually gave the house mates a "chance" to survive.... Slim... but a chance....

My personal favorite that we came up with was a version of Survivor where the contestants were dropped on an island inhabited by cannibals, and there were random traps all over the place. Last person alive has to swim off the island to civilization.

Yeah, we made these up when 'reality' shows became the new thing that everyone was obsessed with and there was NOTHING else on TV but that. We just mildly felt that that was idiotic. Plus it gave us something amusing to do while at school.

BackFire
Someone should make a real life situation out of the Battle Royale film. Drop people on an island and give them all a random weapon, the survivor gets to go home. Of course, danger zones would have to be included.

Hack Benjamin
It always stroke me as odd that no-one attempted to kill somebody else on Survivor.

You're all on a stranded island, no food, no shelter, who's going to stop you? And what do you have to lose? You're in the middle of nowhere where rattlesnakes are your neighbors and rats are your pillows, you definitely don't want to hear some idiot's vicous gossip about someone else or the whore trying to get pounded meanwhile she's more dirty then a pig in the mudpile..

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Hack Benjamin
It always stroke me as odd that no-one attempted to kill somebody else on Survivor.

You're all on a stranded island, no food, no shelter, who's going to stop you?

Probably the many cameramen, studio executives, lawyers, caterers, medical staff, security staff, production managers, and cetera.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Hack Benjamin

You're all on a stranded island, no food, no shelter, who's going to stop you? And what do you have to lose? You're in the middle of nowhere where rattlesnakes are your neighbors and rats are your pillows, you definitely don't want to hear some idiot's vicous gossip about someone else or the whore trying to get pounded meanwhile she's more dirty then a pig in the mudpile..

You do realize it is a t.v. show that puts people in a contrived situation and that there's t.v. staff all over the place don't you?

Lana
Someone should make a real life situation out of the Battle Royale film. Drop people on an island and give them all a random weapon, the survivor gets to go home. Of course, danger zones would have to be included.

That would be pretty sweet.

debbiejo
There is one guy, and I forget his name but he does a show all by himself( him and his camera/video..) as a survivor in many places........only him and his camera.....on the Discovery or Science channel I think..........Survivor man maybe????

amity75
On this years UK big brother they should put a convicted cannibal serial killer in the house just to liven things up a bit.

Alpha Centauri
Anybody else want to join in on that suggestion before it gets so old and used that it becomes a protected relic?

-AC

Hit_and_Miss
perhaps have some down right evil challenges...

Like they have to drown a bag full of kittens for there food that week...

grey fox
Big brother sucks big balls. I don't mean to insult but anyone who gets enjoyment out of this show is a moron or retarded (No insults to those who do have mental problems)

It is perhaps the lowest of lowbrow 'reality tv' shows. Stooping to pathetic levels to garner ratings. If i were honestly given the chance i would murder every single producer of that god-forsaken show.

Big brother , i hate your guts.....

Pandemoniac
The problem might not lay on the side of the producers of these shows, but with the people that find entertainment in them.
TV-producers are often immoral leeches, but as they can find an audience for just about every kind of crap they put on, the real issue is with the viewers that support their shows.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Storm
Like last year' s Dutch version, the new Flemish Big Brother house features a woman who is seven months pregnant, raising the possibility she will give birth live on television in about 60 days, if she is not voted out of the house. The Big Brother house has also become home to the first HIV-infected contestant.

The show has received a wave of criticism and has been accused of exploiting the birth to boost its ratings.

Is Big Brother stretching the limits?

Yes it is.

The things which are done in the name of entertainment and television, would never be allowed on 'moral' grounds, to be done in the name of science.

Trickster
Originally posted by botankus
Reality TV Show WRITERS Threatened Strike in 2005

An excerpt:

Just want to point out that in the story they call themselves writers, but what they actually do is make a story out of the raw footage. So they compile what is recorded, not tell people what to do in the scenes...

Perhaps if they did employ actual writers, it would be a little more interesting. Though then they would just be soaps, I guess. Both bore me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.