Security guards in stores ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cyber Ninja
Someone was sueing I think it was walmart or w/e for being held by security guards in the store and taken to there holding area. They said Security guards are not allowed to hold you in the store for certain things, but only police can.

I am not sure if I explained it right but can some one clear up why....like if you steal something shouldn't security have a right to hold you ? confused

Atlantis001
Of course they should.... morally speaking I mean. You should have the right to defend yourself or your store.

botankus
These threads are appearing faster than we can comprehend the unusual scenarios that are being presented!

Yes, security should detain you. The police have better things to do than going to a retail store every time someone steals a pair of sneakers.

soleran30
Originally posted by Cyber Ninja
like if you steal something shouldn't security have a right to hold you ? confused

I don't know it just depends on if I am feeling vulnerable at the time of capture laughing

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by botankus
These threads are appearing faster than we can comprehend the unusual scenarios that are being presented!

Yes, security should detain you. The police have better things to do than going to a retail store every time someone steals a pair of sneakers.

What would they be detaining you for, though? Assuming the police aren't attending.

Capt_Fantastic
It all depends on the state. In some states it is illegal for a security guard to detain you..mostly because they aren't allowed to touch you. In other states, they are allowed to detain you as long as the police have been called.

botankus
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
What would they be detaining you for, though? Assuming the police aren't attending.
Maybe if you have a descrepency on your receipt and what could have possibly been stolen, or if someone says they saw you rip the sensor off a pair of sneakers and put them on your feet and walk out the store. Intricate stuff like that that requires further investigation.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by botankus
Maybe if you have a descrepency on your receipt and what could have possibly been stolen, or if someone says they saw you rip the sensor off a pair of sneakers and put them on your feet and walk out the store. Intricate stuff like that that requires further investigation.

Bit risky putting those powers into the hands of store goons though.

KharmaDog
What would be the point of store security if they cannot detain someone who steals from their store?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by KharmaDog
What would be the point of store security if they cannot detain someone who steals from their store?

There wouldn't be one, except maybe as a deterrent. It should be a prelude to the police's involvement though, not an alternative (Not that you personally are suggesting such).

Darth Jello
they can detain you while the contact authorities, if they just lock you in a cage in a store basement for three hours, that's called wrongful imprisonment

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by KharmaDog

Again, it depends on the state and the guards status of armed security v. unarmed security. An unarmed security guard is basically just a trained observer. An armed security guard has had classes and training and has almost as much authority as a police officer. It's odd really. The store manager in this case likely had more authority in detaining the woman than did the security guard.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
There wouldn't be one, except maybe as a deterrent. It should be a prelude to the police's involvement though, not an alternative (Not that you personally are suggesting such).

I agree, I would think that they should be allowed to apprehend a person and then make an immediate call to the police detaining the suspect until the authorites arrive. Otherwise, like I said, what's the point?

Gregory
Surely anyone has the right to apprehend someone who's commited a crime? If I catch a thief in my house, nobody would question my detaining him there until the police arrive.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Gregory
Surely anyone has the right to apprehend someone who's commited a crime? If I catch a thief in my house, nobody would question my detaining him there until the police arrive.

That's right, but then there is a point when arrest becomes detention.

tabby999
if the store security dont do something to stop the person from leaving until the authorities arrive, if they didn't then no-one would ever be actually caught over shoplifting.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by tabby999
if the store security dont do something to stop the person from leaving until the authorities arrive, if they didn't then no-one would ever be actually caught over shoplifting.

That's why I said the stroe manager has more authority to hold someone until the police arrive.

botankus
Maybe if the store employees would politely ask someone who sets off the buzzer to stop running away and wait for the police on their own, it would work.

T.M
If a security guard believes you to be shoplifting they can detain you for as long as it takes.. (I.E for the police to arrive)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.