first person shooters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

djBachus
what goods ones are there at the moment ? ive seen black that looks good , what other ones r there ??

( i have star wars battlefront 2 and call of duty already )

Red Superfly
For PC?

Farcry, Half-Life 2/Counterstrike Source, Jedi Knight series, Call Of Duty 2 and Unreal 2004 are the best ones at the moment.

Sparkz
Originally posted by Red Superfly
For PC?

Farcry, Half-Life 2/Counterstrike Source, Jedi Knight series, Call Of Duty 2 and Unreal 2004 are the best ones at the moment.

What he said, and quake 4

SaTsuJiN
actually I found q4 disappointing.. q3 is better in my opinion

Red Superfly
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
actually I found q4 disappointing.. q3 is better in my opinion

Yeah Quake III is classic.

Sparkz
Thought we were talking about recent games.

SaTsuJiN
yeah but I think red mentioned most , if not all the good ones so far

BackFire
Doom 3, Half Life 2, Quake 4 (It's a fine game if you know what to expect, run and gun action and little more) Call of Duty 2, Far Cry, and FEAR (best FPS game I've played since the original Half Life, better than HL2, IMO)

ESB - 1138
Metroid Prime Hunters.

DarkC
Halo PC multiplayer.

Sparkz
Originally posted by BackFire
Doom 3, Half Life 2, Quake 4 (It's a fine game if you know what to expect, run and gun action and little more) Call of Duty 2, Far Cry, and FEAR (best FPS game I've played since the original Half Life, better than HL2, IMO)

You actuly liked Doom 3 god that game was so boring, the room goes dark you get out your shot gun wait for a groan and shoot, You always know when soms one is going to jump out at you hardly the scarist game ever...You preferd fear over half life 2? fair enough personaly I found it quite boring, and the multiplayers a little stupid youv got so little health you can only use one weapon to surive, namley a weapon tht has long range.

Spartan005
Far Cry Instincts is pretty cool.... and their coming out with the expansion called Predator for Xbox and 360

Smasandian

I can see that, but I personally dont think so.

FEAR had two glaring problems that to me doesnt put it better than HL2.
1) Lack of enemies
2) Lack of environments.

Other than that, it's on par with HL2. (Just went back to play a few minutes of HL2, and I still think that game absoutley amazing)
It just had a problem of being the sequel of the best first person shooter of all time.

So my answer to the question, play Half Life. Look past the graphics, and you will still see one the most entertaining games of all time.

The Highlord
I'd like to add Battlefield 2 to the list, its great fun

DarkC
Originally posted by Sparkz
You actuly liked Doom 3 god that game was so boring, the room goes dark you get out your shot gun wait for a groan and shoot, You always know when soms one is going to jump out at you hardly the scarist game ever...You preferd fear over half life 2? fair enough personaly I found it quite boring, and the multiplayers a little stupid youv got so little health you can only use one weapon to surive, namley a weapon tht has long range.
Not all of us are as shortsighted as you. thumb up

Smasandian
Well, I do agree with him/her about Doom 3. It was amazing experience for the first 5 hours. But the 10 hours or so in between wasnt very good. Pretty much the same thingl, with a few things added.

The last bit though was pretty intense. But I would still tell somebody to check it out for an cheaper price though. The graphics, sound and the atmosphere (the first 5 hours) are out of this world.

IcePunk
One word; Crysis...

BackFire
Originally posted by Smasandian
I can see that, but I personally dont think so.

FEAR had two glaring problems that to me doesnt put it better than HL2.
1) Lack of enemies
2) Lack of environments.

Other than that, it's on par with HL2. (Just went back to play a few minutes of HL2, and I still think that game absoutley amazing)
It just had a problem of being the sequel of the best first person shooter of all time.

So my answer to the question, play Half Life. Look past the graphics, and you will still see one the most entertaining games of all time.

The enemies didn't need to be varied, the AI, which is by far the best I've experienced, made the battles dynamic and varied enough to where it didn't matter that you fought the same enemies over and over. The AI in FEAR is infinitely better then the AI in Half Life.

Lack of environments, I'll agree with that, but the game was put together so well and so exciting that it was a non-issue for me. I'd rather have exciting and challenging combat instead of varied environments that are just there for the sake of being varied, which is how I felt with Half Life 2: "Oh, look, you can drive stuff too, Halo who? cool huh? Oh, look, there's a scary town, cool huh? Doom 3 who?" FEAR did one thing extremely well, rather then a bunch of things pretty well.

Also, Doom 3 was successful because of its atmosphere, it was exactly what anyone who is familiar with the series should have expected. A simple game, that stayed true to its roots and had its aim on straight forward action/suspense and nothing else.

Smasandian
I agree with the AI, but for myself, the last bits of the game were dragging on.
With FEAR, I got bored near the end (until the Vault) , I just got kinda of sick of killing clone soldiers through an abdanoned building. But other than that, it was an amazing game. Number 3 in my books.

I personally think if they had some more enemies types, or more of the ninja's, or something other than the clone soldiers, I think it would of been the best.

I thought Doom was more of an action game, similiar to Painkiller and Serious Sam?

Doom is successful but if it was shortened, I think it would been better.

BackFire
I felt that way about HL2, specifically the driving around segments. They just didn't do it for me, and were more of an annoyance then anything. I didn't buy Half Life 2 to drive some little buggy around, seemed like filler to me.

I wouldn't have complained had they had more enemies in FEAR, its just something that didn't really bother me because I was just having so much fun playing it as it was, when I was fighting the clone soldiers I wasn't thinking "gee, I wish they'd put more enemies in this game", I was too busy trying to figure out the best strategy to use to defeat them.

Doom 3 was completely dependant on its atmosphere. A fullforce action game it's not, you don't usually fight a huge number of enemies at once like in painkiller or Serious Sam, you'd fight one or two at a time, and they were prepared so that they'd usually surprise you when they'd attack. It was more about suspense and surprise then action.

Smasandian
Yeah, the water boat sequence was far the worst in the game. I liked the car sequence because of all the little towns you pass and camps and such. It's hard to describe but it really felt like it was an actual world.

Me too, but towards the end, I got kinda of bored. Also, when I think back in that game, after I played it. I dont really remember any significant areas or sequences that I played. All I remember is the action. I guess thats a good thing, but it wasnt totally for me. I enjoy games more about atmosphere, scripted events and such things, I just like HL2 a bit better in that regards than FEAR.

I was talking about the orginal Doom. The original Doom was more about shooting things than the creeping suspence Doom 3 had. I liked Doom 3, it was just got to redundent. Pretty much the whole Delta Labs levels got to me. I just got sick and tired of shooting the same bloody imp that moved from behind or jumped out at me from the opening door. 4-5 hours of that, it gets pretty tedious.

Phat J
so since my computer isnt good enough to run hl 2 i should pick up fear cuz its the next best thing?

Smasandian
FEAR wont run either. If I'm not mistaken, FEAR needs more power than Half Life 2.

It depends on the computer, but Half Life 2 should work on lower systems. I never heared anything about it, but I think it might.

Phat J
i have an xbox and im pretty sure it came out for that, thats what i meant.

definitely shoulda specified there, my bad.

MadMel
i like halo 2..that was good...apart from the story, the multiplayer bit was nice

Smasandian
Well I would pick up Half Life 2 for the XBOX, but FEAR wasnt released on the console.

Has anybody seen the tech demo for Crysis? It's Crytek's second game, with the CryEngine. (Far Cry).
The tech demo looks sick..... but I dont know.... its on an island again, hopefully its a different game than Far Cry. If not, well another Far Cry is still good too.

Phat J
im pretty sure it is, i was looking on amazon and they had a copy of it for xbox.

that game sounds sick, i have farcry instincts for the box, its a great game.

Smasandian
FEAR is not on the XBOX.

BackFire
I've heard rumors that FEAR is going to be coming to the 360.

Smasandian
I wouldnt be surpraised.
I wonder what Monolith's next game will be.
Those guys have produced some amazing FPS over the years. It would be interesting to see what's next.

BackFire
FEAR 2 is already in teh works, but it will be under a different name.

Phat J
Originally posted by Smasandian
FEAR is not on the XBOX.

yes your right, i was thinking about gun.

hows that game?

Phat J
hows mercenaries?

im looking to buy a couple games. which ones should i get? this is for the xbox by the way.

Smasandian
FEAR 2 is already in teh works, but it will be under a different name.

Really,

Will it be the direct sequel using the same characters?
Or just a sequel based of the engine?

BackFire
I don't really know, not much info on it. I just heard that they're making a sequel but can't use the name for some reason (probably copyright problems with vivendi or something). But it's supposed to continue the story and be set in the same world and stuff.

Smasandian
Cool. Hopefully it doesnt take 5 years to make.

jrodslam
Quake 3, Unreal, AvP 2, Star Wars Battlefront, Day of Defeat.

tridnt
ya all have to include mohaa and cscz these game are still in there prime and they are many years old

SnakeEyes
I just bought the first Call of Duty the other day for only 15 bucks.

Does anyone on here play that game? My name is SnakeEyes, by the way.

The Highlord
been awhile since i played it now, but maybe I should try ti again, (remembers beatin Deano in it a few months back stick out tongue )

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.