Would you do it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Hypothetical:

A huge Comet strikes Earth. Over a 20 million Human lives are lost. Many have survived to rebuild cities and continue life on the planet. Humanity has been completely change from what it is today. The survivors change their lifestyles for a more civilize and more humane society. Things like Crime, War, Famine, Poverty, etc.. are things the survivors are trying to end and as time goes by they eventually succeed.

As humanity finally approaches a Utopian level of living. There is one Survivor (i.e. YOU) who has decided to publish a book about the destruction of the comet. Is not a history book nor a biography....it's actually a manifesto.

The Manifesto could cause a huge controversy. The controversy is so huge that it could alter or even damage the progress made so far by all the survivors. However, the manifesto provides great insight into what really happen that faithful day.

The Wealthy and Rich (yes they will still be alive) offer great richness and a secure pleasure lifestyle if you do publish the manifesto. You're secure and rich if you publish the manifesto for everyone to read. But at the same time you will cause a great obstacle and dilemma for the future of the survivors. They will not trust each other.

Question:

Would you publish the manifesto?

Bardock42
Hmm, I can't say 100% but I looking at it now I would say I don't publish the manifesto...that is if society has evolved in a way I agree...

debbiejo
What a scenario....... blink

No, I don't think I would publish it.

Da preacher
I maybe would

Wesker
Sure, why not? Utopian styles of living are unfeasible, so even this one's bound to be corrupt. The truth should be known.

The Black Ghost
Would anything be gained by the publishing other than personal pride for selling the "truth"? Probably not. Even if it was some revelation about the truth of what happened, it would be unfeasable to disrupt the balance created because of the past. In the end, disorder and anger between groups would be the only outcome, which is hardly worth the truth being known. I would not.

Eis
Originally posted by Bardock42
Hmm, I can't say 100% but I looking at it now I would say I don't publish the manifesto...that is if society has evolved in a way I agree...
Same here.

Slay
The question is,if you will ever find a Publisher who would dare to publish such a ''manifesto''

Deano
from planet of the apes..

what about the future?"
Zaius responds: "I may just have saved it for you.

somethings are best left alone. i woudnt publish it.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Hypothetical:

A huge Comet strikes Earth. Over a 20 million Human lives are lost. Many have survived to rebuild cities and continue life on the planet. Humanity has been completely change from what it is today. The survivors change their lifestyles for a more civilize and more humane society. Things like Crime, War, Famine, Poverty, etc.. are things the survivors are trying to end and as time goes by they eventually succeed.

As humanity finally approaches a Utopian level of living. There is one Survivor (i.e. YOU) who has decided to publish a book about the destruction of the comet. Is not a history book nor a biography....it's actually a manifesto.

The Manifesto could cause a huge controversy. The controversy is so huge that it could alter or even damage the progress made so far by all the survivors. However, the manifesto provides great insight into what really happen that faithful day.

The Wealthy and Rich (yes they will still be alive) offer great richness and a secure pleasure lifestyle if you do publish the manifesto. You're secure and rich if you publish the manifesto for everyone to read. But at the same time you will cause a great obstacle and dilemma for the future of the survivors. They will not trust each other.

Question:

Yes

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Deano
from planet of the apes..

what about the future?"
Zaius responds: "I may just have saved it for you.

somethings are best left alone. i woudnt publish it.

Are you saying that you would willingly keep the truth from the people? Doesn't that go against everything you've pretty much posted here from day one?

lil bitchiness
I don't believe I would...perhaps.

From the scenario you have posted it would depend greatly on what my motives are. For money and riches, i would most certainly NOT publish it. I would never jeopardise the human civilisation and its progress for MY money and security.

If the history does not mean anything apart from chaos, i would not publish it. If however in publishing my book, there could be a greater good overall, I would publish it.

I don't think I would publish it for the sake of publishing.

GCG
Man from miles away over here. What is a 'manifesto' , what would it contain in this case and who/what is it for ?

Deano
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Are you saying that you would willingly keep the truth from the people? Doesn't that go against everything you've pretty much posted here from day one?

depends what truth it is. if an hidden truth helps make for a better society, then theres no problem. but if something is kept secret that will lead to ...lets say the new world order..then that truth is something that needs to get out

manny321
I don't think that loss of 20 million lives would really wreck society.

it would be a great loss, nevertheless.

Atlantis001
Knowledge is never bad if you know how to deal with it. I would publish it, unless that truth can be too dangerous for mankind. Some truths are better if they remain hidden for the moment, they can cause too much trouble if people are not prepared. Truth always creates trouble, we should just think carefully of the consequences it can bring.

If that truth was too dangerous I would try to reveal it gradually perhaps, but I would never let things stay how they are.

allofyousuckkk
for money, no....for spreading truth, yes

Inspectah Deck
Hypothetical:

Question:

Yeah I would do it. Not for the money though, but for the masses to know the truth.

Sir Whirlysplat
Publish and be damned.

soleran30
yeah I would do "it"

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by GCG
Man from miles away over here. What is a 'manifesto' , what would it contain in this case and who/what is it for ?

A written statement declaring publicly the intentions, motives, opinons views of its issuer, and certain facts. If the rich and wealthy supported it will benefit them. There still be inequality among the masses. It could also alter history which could make certain historians angry.

The Black Ghost
Sometimes its best when the truth is never known....

T.M
Hypothetical:

Question:

Yes I would publish it.

But as lil bitchiness said not for the money. I would only do it because I think that it is important for any society to know about it's past.. Where the civilisation emerged from.. I would want to know these things if I was born after the scenario pointed out... and I think that hiding the truth from people will only cause problems further down the line.

Shakyamunison
Yes, a society that would crumble because of something I say, is not a strong enough society to exist.

Capt_Fantastic
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the destruction of the comet" and the "truth of what happened that day". Wouldn't a comet hitting the planet be pretty obvious?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the destruction of the comet" and the "truth of what happened that day". Wouldn't a comet hitting the planet be pretty obvious?

But it is obvious that it was Bush's fault. laughing

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Think evacuations...how things were organize...who was left behind...what could have prevented the deaths...stuff like that...the key here is exposing a hidden controversial truth that might or might not tamper the future of a progressive world. And also why would people would gain from it.

Fishy
No, at least not yet... I would publish it upon my death for two reasons.

1.) If there are negative effects I won't notice and won't care stick out tongue
2.) Maybe society has progressed further by that time and wouldn't really care anymore.

If thats not an option then yes I would publish it...

debbiejo
Do it like the plot in the Di Vinci code.

Quiero Mota
The manifesto might have an effect like "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair and cause certain things in society to change completely and bring crticism to the system.

WrathfulDwarf
^Ooohhh!!! Very Good QM. thumb up

Quiero Mota
^Ooohhh!!! Very Good QM. thumb up

Orale! cool

The Black Ghost
Think evacuations...how things were organize...who was left behind...what could have prevented the deaths...stuff like that...the key here is exposing a hidden controversial truth that might or might not tamper the future of a progressive world. And also why would people would gain from it.

--Yes but things like that always end up for nothing. Its always easy for people to look back and blame somebody for doing something that didnt make the absolute best possible decision. Unless it was for selfish purposes or other that things were not prevented, etc..., you really shouldnt go back and blame someone for the past. Especially leaders who have to think fast and make quick decisions for the betterment of their people.

GCG
A written statement declaring publicly the intentions, motives, opinons views of its issuer, and certain facts. If the rich and wealthy supported it will benefit them. There still be inequality among the masses. It could also alter history which could make certain historians angry.

I think I understood you, yet there is always so much that can be done in a catastrophe of this magnitude. There will already be a stench in the air that the wealthy society would have used their economical pressure to favour them at the expense of the second and third class citizens.
Thing is that there will be the knowledge of these vile actions by word of mouth, spreading through the grapevine, also mutating itself and gathering lies and half-truths that tweak and distort the facts.

I see positive aspects on both sides as the publishment of this manifesto can render the truth, but at the same time it can also cause havoc.

Ultimately we know the masses are never happy; If you don't publish it, you get criticised for hiding the truth, and if you publish it, you get criticised for doing those facts. I feel this is a double bladed issue.

Best thing to do is allow time to pass and publish it when the generations in question would have died out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.