The Other: Ramifications?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
okay, so i read the 12 part arc. spidey SEEMS like he should be faster and stronger. he's also been shown to have new powers -- see in the dark, people can cling to HIM like he can to walls, sensitive to winds. what other powers has he shown since 'the other' arc? he also had the stingers appear. has he used them since?

i know he's gotten some armor, but i've not seen or read anything about it yet. is it cool? i'll be checking it out soon.

at teh start of the arc i wasn't too thrilled with the way spidey sort of . . . acted like a kid around cap -- an inexperienced, gosh-cap-is-way-better-at-this-hero-thing-than-i-am kid. i'd thought he'd sort of grown up a little bit more. THAT part of his character i was a bit dissatisfied with. the big guns seem to still treat him as a kid -- and parker seems to allow it and even foster it.

basically this is a 'state of the spider address'! chime in. i want to hear thoughts and opinions on the current state of everyone's fave webhead!

botcherby
Parker never seems to grow up. but hes officially a B-list hero... which sucks, because hes stronger, faster etc than virtually all the avengers... not to mention Captain america wouldn't be able to handle Spiderman for shit.

but yea nothing much has happened since the other... maybe when Spidey and Wolverine have a throwdown, or the Other hatches will we see some further development.

I really wanna find out about the supposed enhanced healing factor, Spiderman might have.... because having bone stingers.... they're gonna be shattered... I recall Logan having his bone claws shattered every fight.

TheKahn
Yes, I think that in an issue of FN Spiderman has used his stingers on a wrestler so he should still have them.

Also here is a summery of the abilities of the Iron Spidey costume for the few who may not know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiderman#Equipment

"Recently, Spidey has received a new suit of armor from Tony Stark that was custom built to enhance his abilities. Supported by a system similar to that of Stark's classic 'Iron Man' design, it features gadgets that will each have a power that mirrors one of Spidey's classic villains; for instance, three mechanical spider-arms to combat the merciless mechanical tail of The Scorpion. Other features include, but are not limited to: mesh webbing that will allow gliding for short distances, heat resistant Kevlar micro-fiber that can withstand small-caliber bullets, built in fire, police, and emergency scanner, audio and visual amplification including infrared and ultra-violet, carbon filters in the mouth area to keep out toxins, and a short range GPS microwave communication system. All of these are routed through a computerized control system in the titanium chestpiece. Within a day or so Stark had already made a version 2.0 of the costume. He had adjusted the fabric so it uses a liquid metal nano-fiber that can more or less disappear when not needed, as it responds to neurochemical pulses. The new costume was also able to conform to other styles Spidey had affected over the years, and even has the ability to camoflage into a variety of backgrounds... the darker the better"

Here is a like to a preview of the 2.0 version of the suit (Spidey is towards the bottom)
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0603/15/marvelfirsts.htm

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9978/spideynewcostume4te.th.jpg

Scoobless
I don't like the fact that they've completely ignored his new powers in the Sensational Spider-Man comics.... Vulture got quite a few hits in on him.... and the Lizard pretty much kicked his ass.... what happened to his new speed? or his spider-sense upgrade?

And why did the Black Cat do better against the Lizard than he did? she doesn't even have superpowers... all she has is balance enhancing earrings, sight enhancing contact lenses, claws and minor strength enhancements from her suit (that the Tinkerer made for her)

Murda Mase
Originally posted by botcherby
Parker never seems to grow up. but hes officially a B-list hero...

Nah, hes a A+ list hero man.

Murda Mase
Originally posted by Scoobless
I don't like the fact that they've completely ignored his new powers in the Sensational Spider-Man comics.... Vulture got quite a few hits in on him.... and the Lizard pretty much kicked his ass.... what happened to his new speed? or his spider-sense upgrade?

And why did the Black Cat do better against the Lizard than he did? she doesn't even have superpowers... all she has is balance enhancing earrings, sight enhancing contact lenses, claws and minor strength enhancements from her suit (that the Tinkerer made for her)

Yeah, he coulda used the stingers on the Lizard.

I think the writer of thats against the way Spider-Mans writen in Amazing and New Avengers.

Hes's even trying to get them out a of Avengers Mansion.

I'm still iffy on that book, I'm not sure if I still be picking it up.

Scoobless
I don't see any reason for them to move out of the tower.... if he does it's back to getting a crappy job, struggling to pay the rent, having no time for any social life... let alone being an Avenger.... it would be a step backwards..... and i'm talking one humongous Galactus step twenty-five years back in time

H. S. 6
Parker never seems to grow up. but hes officially a B-list hero... which sucks, because hes stronger, faster etc than virtually all the avengers... not to mention Captain america wouldn't be able to handle Spiderman for shit.

I would consider Spidey to be an A-List hero. erm

And with the "child-like attitude," leonidas, I completely agree with you. That bugs me more than anything else.

I think it depends on the writer. Sometimes Spidey can be serious, grim, and act as if he's on par with his fellow superheroes, instead of being their inferiors. erm

Scoobless
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I would consider Spidey to be an A-List hero. erm

And with the "child-like attitude," leonidas, I completely agree with you. That bugs me more than anything else.

I think it depends on the writer. Sometimes Spidey can be serious, grim, and act as if he's on par with his fellow superheroes, instead of being their inferiors. erm

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6168/mkspiderman02170bw.th.jpg

DigiMark007
The power upgrades are fine by me. I just want to see him use the new speed for something cool....like finally putting to rest his villian set. Most of the old ones should NEVER give him much trouble. Though depending on the writer, sometimes he'll own them and sometimes it's written as a good fight.

Not a huge fan of the new stingers. But I think they've decided to ignore them for the most part.

And Spidey's never supposed to be too "adult". He cracks bad jokes, is adept at playing the outcast role, and will always have an overwhelming sense of misplaced guilt that forces him to rush into any battle. That's always been his character, and I doubt it'll change.

Murda Mase
Originally posted by DigiMark007
He cracks bad jokes

I dunno Pete's been cracking some pretty funny jokes after the millenium.

Murda Mase
I don't see any reason for them to move out of the tower.... if he does it's back to getting a crappy job, struggling to pay the rent, having no time for any social life... let alone being an Avenger.... it would be a step backwards..... and i'm talking one humongous Galactus step twenty-five years back in time

Thats what I'm saying.

I've been on other boards where pretty much everone wants that to happen.

Plus him having a crappy job and such.

I'm like god just read the back issues then.

MuffinmanMike

but yea nothing much has happened since the other... maybe when Spidey and Wolverine have a throwdown, or the Other hatches will we see some further development.

I really wanna find out about the supposed enhanced healing factor, Spiderman might have.... because having bone stingers.... they're gonna be shattered... I recall Logan having his bone claws shattered every fight.

Actually the stingers are soldified webbing, not bone.

As for the Avengers, he's stronger than all but Luke Cage and the Sentry(who I'll ignore since it's obvious), faster than all of them, etc.

And Spider-mans an A-list hero. He's been part of the Avengers, the FF, the Defenders. Hell probably been asked to join the New Warriors at least once. He's looked up to/admired by other superheroes just starting out(even the big names.)

Even in his universe, Spideys not the kind of guy you see and just shrug it off as a normal occurance.

MuffinmanMike
Originally posted by Murda Mase
Thats what I'm saying.

I've been on other boards where pretty much everone wants that to happen.

Plus him having a crappy job and such.

I'm like god just read the back issues then.

Seriously. Why take a massive dump on all his success and hard work just because you don't like the idea of Spidey finally being accepted as one of the best superheroes that the Marvel Universe has to offer?

leonidas

and having not read spidey for a couple years, i was PLEASED to see he had moved up. to move back to the way things were WOULD be a big backward step and one i think would be inappropriate as well. i get a little tired of seeing the same thing over and over. the change was a good one and long overdue imo.

The power upgrades are fine by me. I just want to see him use the new speed for something cool....like finally putting to rest his villian set. Most of the old ones should NEVER give him much trouble. Though depending on the writer, sometimes he'll own them and sometimes it's written as a good fight.

Not a huge fan of the new stingers. But I think they've decided to ignore them for the most part.

And Spidey's never supposed to be too "adult". He cracks bad jokes, is adept at playing the outcast role, and will always have an overwhelming sense of misplaced guilt that forces him to rush into any battle. That's always been his character, and I doubt it'll change.

i get what you're saying, but spidey -- as a whole -- seems to have developed little over the years. i love the jokes, but under it, you would think by this time, given all he's done and seen, he would be able to do away with the whole 'inferiority complex' he STILL seems to exhibit.

and i'd LOVE to see him upgraded a little -- everyone else is!!

DigiMark007
Originally posted by leonidas

i get what you're saying, but spidey -- as a whole -- seems to have developed little over the years. i love the jokes, but under it, you would think by this time, given all he's done and seen, he would be able to do away with the whole 'inferiority complex' he STILL seems to exhibit.

True, but like I said, changing his character on such a fundamental level might mess him up (and piss off fans) more than any power upgrade/change/etc.

And after Sentry and IM, Spidey is probably the most powerful (New) Avenger...which is at once sad and kinda cool. He's definitely A-list. I mean, he took out Firelord, right? ( stick out tongue )

leonidas
oh he's an a-lister, no doubt. he just doesn't ACT like it. i'm not talking about a fundamental shift in him -- what i'd like to see is spidey, instead of being in 'awe' of all the 'bigshots', see himself for once as an equal, i'd love for him to stand up for himself. what he really needs is to kick some bigshot's ass. i'd love to see him clean cap's clock. i'd KILL to see him beat the snot out of logan!! that i think is long overdue. kills me how logan acts towards him.

anyway.

i thought the fight with morlun was an instant classic -- MAYBE better even than the first. i still don't get why everyone says he hits spidey so hard because he's 'draining spidey' with each hit. there's no indication he's draining him. spidey talks about him as though he were high cl100. he sure seemed to be that strong. i WISH they would have had him face one of the other avengers -- even if to exchange a blow or 2.

lastly -- any thoughts about the great weaver? or that scary looking spiderman replica? looked like the evil spidey duplicate from infinity war!

always cool chatting about spidey. wink

Validus
oh he's an a-lister, no doubt. he just doesn't ACT like it. i'm not talking about a fundamental shift in him -- what i'd like to see is spidey, instead of being in 'awe' of all the 'bigshots', see himself for once as an equal, i'd love for him to stand up for himself. what he really needs is to kick some bigshot's ass. i'd love to see him clean cap's clock. i'd KILL to see him beat the snot out of logan!! that i think is long overdue. kills me how logan acts towards him.

Wasn't there a time when Logan was talking down to Mary Jane and Peter just picked him out and threw him out of Stark's "unbreakable" window or am I just imagining that? confused

Scoobless

anyway.

i thought the fight with morlun was an instant classic -- MAYBE better even than the first. i still don't get why everyone says he hits spidey so hard because he's 'draining spidey' with each hit. there's no indication he's draining him. spidey talks about him as though he were high cl100. he sure seemed to be that strong. i WISH they would have had him face one of the other avengers -- even if to exchange a blow or 2.

lastly -- any thoughts about the great weaver? or that scary looking spiderman replica? looked like the evil spidey duplicate from infinity war!

always cool chatting about spidey. wink

Spidey's an A-lister to comic readers.... but in the MU he's B-list .... people do not regard him the same way they do the Fantastic Four or the Avengers.... people don't call him when they need help... he either shows up or he doesn't

Morlun hasn't actually ever proven himself to be class 100, i went over this in another thread ... hold on ....

.... found it:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388002&highlight=rogue+morlun

Morlun took a lot more than punches from Spider-Man and he did prove his strength (to a certain extent)

strolls through steel reinforced concrete walls:

1. http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9303/morlun054tm.jpg
2. http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9492/morlun063xx.jpg

taking a lot of impact and getting straight back up:

1. http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/841/morlun017bn.jpg
2. http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/122/morlun026lz.jpg

strolls through another wall (no effort displayed whatsoever):

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8778/morlun037pz.jpg

taking abuse that can't be explained via power sucking:

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3343/morlun081pk.jpg

Speed:

1. http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8/morlunspeed017qq.jpg
2. http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1811/morlunspeed023hu.jpg

durability:

1. http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7269/morlungas14tv.jpg
2. http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6395/morlungas27pl.jpg

strength:

1. http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5067/morlunweb3pi.jpg
2. http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3351/morlun043co.jpg

I don't think he's class 100.... but he certainly seems to be around 50 minimum

leonidas
hmm, i'm not sure i agree. spidey LAID into him. i mean breaking knuckles on his face?? i know durability doesn't equate to strength, but he was DAMN sure powerful. based only on spidey's description, it seems like he should be considered cl100 to me. you would have to say he was at least stronger than rhino. rhino never did near the damage morlun did with each hit. spidey compared him to hulk and thor and thought morlun hit HARDER! hulk for one does NOT hold back . . . only person i recall seeming to do as much damage to spisdey with a single shot was juggs, and spidey's powers were failing him the second time they met. and again, there's no mention at all of morlun draining spidey during the battle.

damn, i wish he would have mixed it up with someone else even a LITTLE . . .

great, great villain imo.

Scoobless
and again, there's no mention at all of morlun draining spidey during the battle.

Well i only posted selected pages to show Morlun's feats.... the draining was mentioned a few times over a few fights.... and the fact that Ezekiel gave him a bloody nose with a single punch points towards the energy absorbing factor from totem sources (such as Spider-Man)

Irish Wolverine

Yeah, that was stupid how the Black Cat was kicking the Lizard's ass, even if she was made more bestial or whatever. He's fast and strong enough to rip out her throat without much trouble.

Also, after he got his speed and spider-sense upgrade, he still wasn't able to dodge some attacks in the latest Amazing Spider-Man. He was fighting Titanium Man (I think) and was on his back. Titanium Man then smashed his back into a wall, with Spidey still on it. He totally should've been able to get out of the way in time.

leonidas
i understand those were only a few, but i have both arcs he appeared in. true ezekiel bloodied his nose, but wasn't ezekiel ALSO empowered by the totem energy? can't recall off-hand. and i don't believe there was an actual mention of morlun draining spidey as he went along in either of the battles. i think the idea of him NOT being cl100 was from a handbook somewhere. still, i'm not sure i buy that. handbooks are notoriously inaccurate.

DraconaInVolata
Like Namor? And Venom? Yeah, I don't think mr. Morbius from the animated series wannabe is that strong either. He just doesn't pull his punches.

Validus
Could anyone tell me the issue number of the first Morlun/Spidey fight?

MuffinmanMike
Originally posted by DraconaInVolata
Like Namor? And Venom? Yeah, I don't think mr. Morbius from the animated series wannabe is that strong either. He just doesn't pull his punches.

And he drains energy with each punch, making it only FEEL harder than it is.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Validus
Wasn't there a time when Logan was talking down to Mary Jane and Peter just picked him out and threw him out of Stark's "unbreakable" window or am I just imagining that? confused

Yeah, that happened. Punked his ass good.

And Scoob's posts earlier detailing everything Morlun goes through is very telling. This whole "He's not class 100 because he drains Spidey" never held much water with me. The dude gives Spidey a ridiculously hard fight, draining or not, and his durability is at least on par with most Cl100's. Hell, I'd wager Iron man would get taken out by what Morlun went through...point blank for a building-destroying explosion (in a kitchen) and comes out without a scratch...and that's among other things. Durability doesn't = Strength....I know that. But it's something.

And even if IM wouldn't go down, it's still a helluva display.

Also keep in mind the "He punched me harder than anyone ever before" came on pretty much the first punch. That's a hell of a lot of draining to occur to make a class 50 seem stronger than the Hulk. And my interpretation: he actually IS low-level Cl 100.

I should just post that whole freaking fight...I'll get around to it soon I guess.

MuffinmanMike
Well Mark I've always read that he's class 75, just hits like he's 100 because of the draining.

Endurance could be a whole nother story. There's no way Speedball could hurt the Hulk but likewise it's really difficult to hurt him. (Of course that's not really durability, but hey.)

leonidas
Yeah, that happened. Punked his ass good.

And Scoob's posts earlier detailing everything Morlun goes through is very telling. This whole "He's not class 100 because he drains Spidey" never held much water with me. The dude gives Spidey a ridiculously hard fight, draining or not, and his durability is at least on par with most Cl100's. Hell, I'd wager Iron man would get taken out by what Morlun went through...point blank for a building-destroying explosion (in a kitchen) and comes out without a scratch...and that's among other things. Durability doesn't = Strength....I know that. But it's something.

And even if IM wouldn't go down, it's still a helluva display.

Also keep in mind the "He punched me harder than anyone ever before" came on pretty much the first punch. That's a hell of a lot of draining to occur to make a class 50 seem stronger than the Hulk. And my interpretation: he actually IS low-level Cl 100.

I should just post that whole freaking fight...I'll get around to it soon I guess.

umm, digi my bud -- your authority 'partner' posted his stuff saying morlun is NOT cl100. see scoob, even your own TEAM thinks you're wrong!! stick out tongue

Scoobless
umm, digi my bud -- your authority 'partner' posted his stuff saying morlun is NOT cl100. see scoob, even your own TEAM thinks you're wrong!! stick out tongue

I'm just saying i still doubt it.... he hasn't actually shown any strength feats above anything a class 40 - 50 could do

DraconaInVolata
If he fought a real class 100, he'd get scrambled. I'd like to see him try to do the same thing to Venom. He'd get his mystical brains eaten. He'd rock the hell out of Doc Ock or Osbourne though.

Scoobless
If he fought a real class 100, he'd get scrambled. I'd like to see him try to do the same thing to Venom. He'd get his mystical brains eaten. He'd rock the hell out of Doc Ock or Osbourne though.

He can drain life force from anyone.... not just Totems.... Venom would be in a lot of trouble against him:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2966/asm0825zr.jpg

DraconaInVolata
I would assume though that the symbiote would protect him from that.

Black Adam
I would assume though that the symbiote would protect him from that.

But Will protect the Symbiote from having the life drained out of it?

Black Adam
But What will protect the Symbiote from having the life drained out of it?

I forgot to add "What "to my post up there.

i should really stop rushing out my messages

DigiMark007

I never said I was siding with Scoob. I was merely using his scans to make the opposite point. Spidey's about the only character I'd try that risky debate tactic with though. wink

Anyway, like I said earlier....

...though, admittedly, most of his feats in the fight were durability rather than strength. That also assumes that we're taking Parker for his word in the narration, which isn't exactly canon.

Still, I'm free to believe what I want.

So stick out tongue

leonidas
I never said I was siding with Scoob. I was merely using his scans to make the opposite point. Spidey's about the only character I'd try that risky debate tactic with though. wink

Anyway, like I said earlier....

...though, admittedly, most of his feats in the fight were durability rather than strength. That also assumes that we're taking Parker for his word in the narration, which isn't exactly canon.

Still, I'm free to believe what I want.

So stick out tongue

so, you're agreeing with me . . . Happy Dance

hey, all's i'm saying is if you're tired of hanging with that guy who's always disagreeing with you and stirring up the authority pot, there will always be a home for you in the jla . . .

big grin

(can i get a cool sig now????)

oh, and i think morluncould handle pretty well any of spidey's villains. aside from ezekiel's (still inexplicable) punch, and appeared completely invulnerable. it seems likely to me that he COULD drain the symbiotes.

DigiMark007
so, you're agreeing with me . . . Happy Dance

hey, all's i'm saying is if you're tired of hanging with that guy who's always disagreeing with you and stirring up the authority pot, there will always be a home for you in the jla . . .

We need someone to keep us on our toes. No good group ever completely gets along, right? Besides, I still like Scoob, even if he's wrong whenever he disagrees with me. stick out tongue

(can i get a cool sig now????)

hysterical

...only if you come join us, my friend. cool

Unless, of course, if you want to wear this one...
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/794/jla29jx.jpg
...I'd switch QF's name for yours, of course. That was just testing out fonts and such. stick out tongue

leonidas
Unless, of course, if you want to wear this one...
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/794/jla29jx.jpg
...I'd switch QF's name for yours, of course. That was just testing out fonts and such. stick out tongue

mad

Scoobless
roll eyes (sarcastic) .... I think it suits you Leo!

stick out tongue

leonidas
roll eyes (sarcastic) .... I think it suits you Leo!

stick out tongue

mad mad

mad

DigiMark007
I think it's about time I unleashed the onslaught of anti-other-group sigs I have in stock. Though they're mostly JLA ones, simply because these other groups only started popping up recently.

TheKahn
I think it's about time I unleashed the onslaught of anti-other-group sigs I have in stock. Though they're mostly JLA ones, simply because these other groups only started popping up recently.
evil face

leonidas
ahh, i'm not buying it for a minute, khan, ya big softy!

heh

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.