The Good Star Wars/bad Star Wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EPIIIBITES
A topic where we can give examples of the GOOD and BAD of various Star Wars stuff!

A couple of examples to get 'er goin'...

GOOD STAR WARS: Clone Wars Cartoon Series
BAD STAR WARS: Star Wars Holiday Special

GOOD STAR WARS: Padme in white jumpsuit.
BAD STAR WARS: Padme in whatever the heck it is she's wearing on Mustufar.

k' one more, one more

GOOD STAR WARS: Star Wars
BAD STAR WARS: Star Wars SE

Alliance
This is like splitting the force into light and dark ... I refuse to give in to this ideology.

There is no good, there is no bad, there only is....Star Wars

JaehSkywalker
yes Star Wars is still Star Wars, good or bad.

Tangible God
GOOD SW: OT

BAD SW: PT, Clone Wars, NJO, KOTOR II, Spectre of the Past.

That's as deep as I'm going to get in this.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Alliance
This is like splitting the force into light and dark ...There is no good, there is no bad, there only is....Star Wars

Oh come on...have a little fun!!

It's just like...

GOOD STAR WARS:Banthas (cause they look kick ass)
BAD STAR WARS:Bogas (cause they're a cartoon)

Now don't cry...it doesn't mean I hate Bogas.

EPIIIBITES
GOOD STAR WARS: Episode I teaser poster

EPIIIBITES
BAD STAR WARS: Episode III teaser poster (I made this the day it was released)

EPIIIBITES
Yeah, this one...

how incredibly ugly...any money says that guy got fired.

AstroFan
Good SW: EII Natalie Portman

Bad SW: EIII Natalie Portman

EPIIIBITES
YESSSSSSS!!

chinabing
BAD STAR WARS: People who think there is a bad Star Wars.

Sesse
Good: Yoda.
Bad: Vaders shoes.

EPIIIBITES
GOOD STAR WARS: Darth Maul
BAD STAR WARS: 5 mins. of screen time

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by chinabing
BAD STAR WARS: People who think there is a bad Star Wars.

WOW!

Red Superfly
I could go into a bit more depth on the various qualities of each but I'll just sum it up with this:

Bad: PT.

Good: OT.

((The_Anomaly))
I don't get how people don't like the PT, its Star Wars, as much as the OT is Star Wars.

Order of films in terms of my favorites.

1. ROTJ
2. ROTS
3. ESB
4. AOTC
5. TPM
6. ANH.

Revolver Ocelot
I don't get how people don't like the PT, its Star Wars, as much as the OT is Star Wars.

The PT lacks everything that made Star Wars good in the first place. It lacks the feeling of adventure, the metaphorical Jedi teachings, the symbolic purpose, the good plot and the good acting. Hell, minus a couple scores the music was dissapointing.

The PT was terrible. Instead of it being a story of adventure, it was a story of ridiculous politics and over-the-top spFX action scenes. ROTS was decent because of its LOL SABER FIGHTZ, but that's about it.

IMO it's

1. Star Wars: A New Hope
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones.

Jedi Priestess
Good Star Wars: The Movies
Bad Star Wars: EU with the exception of a very few books.

Alliance
Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot

The PT lacks everything that made Star Wars good in the first place. It lacks the feeling of adventure, the metaphorical Jedi teachings, the symbolic purpose, the good plot and the good acting. Hell, minus a couple scores the music was dissapointing.

The PT was terrible. Instead of it being a story of adventure, it was a story of ridiculous politics and over-the-top spFX action scenes. ROTS was decent because of its LOL SABER FIGHTZ, but that's about it.

OK...all star wars films have crappy dialogue, poorly developed characters, slow plots, and are all about spFX. apparently you dont remember that ANH was all about the spFX. It invented the spFX blockbuster.

The PT and OT are different trilogies. Apparently you don't remember how political the OT was...post apocalyptic grunge industrial imperialsm? Its showed the world as a duty truth, that here in "the future" the world is real, no stainless steel walls and zippy spacecraft, rotting dirty junk. THe rise of the "rebels" (post-vietnam counterculture vs an opressive overmilitarized semi-fascist government). Our hero: the little desert farmboy, a populist counterculture "simple-life" kid who makes it. It was never "just an adventure story" Thats a disrespect to Star Wars The OT was perfect for its time and was all about the politics of the late 70s and early 80's.

The PT is the OT evolved/grown up. Things arent black and white anymore. This isn't some childhood rebellion. The PT is about growing up. This is the 21st century. We are discussing a neo-romantic movement in the midst of overpoliticization, war, and the breakdown of cold war ideals. The PT is about greys. The jedi ideal that you prize from the OT don't work here. You cnat see good, wou can't see evil. Your trapped in a society where everything is planned where you aare destined to achieve an objective because you believe that to be true (Anakin's prophecy). Its about living in a destabilizing society. The PT is about complicated current sociopolitical theory.

If you'd like to talk more/back up more let me know...but you have really misjudged both the OT and the PT. Sorry for the book.

EPIIIBITES
That's good stuff dude. You got a brain on ya...love your sigs too.

BUT!!!

GOOD STAR WARS!: OT humour: "We're all fine...here...now...thank you. How are you?"

BAD STAR WARS!: PT humour: "Another happy landing."

I mean, really.

Red Superfly

The PT and OT are different trilogies. Apparently you don't remember how political the OT was...post apocalyptic grunge industrial imperialsm? Its showed the world as a duty truth, that here in "the future" the world is real, no stainless steel walls and zippy spacecraft, rotting dirty junk. THe rise of the "rebels" (post-vietnam counterculture vs an opressive overmilitarized semi-fascist government). Our hero: the little desert farmboy, a populist counterculture "simple-life" kid who makes it. It was never "just an adventure story" Thats a disrespect to Star Wars The OT was perfect for its time and was all about the politics of the late 70s and early 80's.

The PT is the OT evolved/grown up. Things arent black and white anymore. This isn't some childhood rebellion. The PT is about growing up. This is the 21st century. We are discussing a neo-romantic movement in the midst of overpoliticization, war, and the breakdown of cold war ideals. The PT is about greys. The jedi ideal that you prize from the OT don't work here. You cnat see good, wou can't see evil. Your trapped in a society where everything is planned where you aare destined to achieve an objective because you believe that to be true (Anakin's prophecy). Its about living in a destabilizing society. The PT is about complicated current sociopolitical theory.

If you'd like to talk more/back up more let me know...but you have really misjudged both the OT and the PT. Sorry for the book.

Don't get me wrong, those are some damn good points, but as movies, the Prequels just aren't that good. Just because they're complicated, philosophical and have more deeper meanings than the Original Trilogy doesn't necessesarily make them better movies. The CHARACTER just isn't there, or was there originally, and got lost amidst the contrivances and "deeper meanings", and that, quite rightly, is what matters to most people. It's why the OT is generally regarded as better.

OB1-adobe
Star Wars: Good!

Fanboys: Bad!

Alliance
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
That's good stuff dude. You got a brain on ya...love your sigs too.

BUT!!!

GOOD STAR WARS!: OT humour: "We're all fine...here...now...thank you. How are you?"

BAD STAR WARS!: PT humour: "Another happy landing."

I mean, really.

Thanks!. lol...I think both quotes are completely horrible. The comedy is so revolting, it makes me laugh. THAT is what's funny to me, especially with the way Harrison Ford dances around the little microphone and with McGregor's stupid smirk. I think my dog could come up better dialogue than that. WOOF! WOOF WOOF!

Originally posted by Red Superfly
Don't get me wrong, those are some damn good points, but as movies, the Prequels just aren't that good. Just because they're complicated, philosophical and have more deeper meanings than the Original Trilogy doesn't necessesarily make them better movies.

I'm not saying that at all, I'm trying to demonstrate that the OT is just as complicated, philospohical, and meaningful as the PT. We just haven't had the years to actually gague a true analysis. The OT has become "classic" Star Wars and people hold it in high regard for that reason. Yet, most people like ESB better than ANH when ANH was an instant classic itself. I suggest that by examining the OT in the context of the PT...there is a lot there that is similar and is not part of the "classic" view of Star Wars. I HARDLY think the PT is superior to the OT, I just see them in them in the same context relative to their times.

Originally posted by OB1-adobe

clap

EPIIIBITES
The comedy is so revolting, it makes me laugh.

I think the OT had the perfect blend of natural charm and clever humour. Nothing seemed forced.

The only time I remember something actually being both clever and funny in the PT was in "Clones" when the music stopped as Padme pulled away from Anakin's kiss on Naboo.

Funnily enough not a lot of people got that. Plus, was great to see Lucas finally taking the piss.

EPIIIBITES
Getting side-tracked here...

GOOD STAR WARS!!: Max Rebo Band
BAD STAR WARS!!: Max Rebo Band w/Joh Yowza (yes that Men in Black alien from the SE!)

...for all of you Fanboys that are whining about no Good or Bad Star Wars...chew on that!

Revolver Ocelot
The PT and OT are different trilogies. Apparently you don't remember how political the OT was...post apocalyptic grunge industrial imperialsm?

Of course it was! But was it as glorified as in the PT? No, it wasn't. It was simplified in the OT, because really, Star Wars ITSELF may be about politics, but the complexity of a diversified Republic was not brought up every 5 seconds. Because the people did not care for that.

Its showed the world as a duty truth, that here in "the future" the world is real, no stainless steel walls and zippy spacecraft, rotting dirty junk. THe rise of the "rebels" (post-vietnam counterculture vs an opressive overmilitarized semi-fascist government). Our hero: the little desert farmboy, a populist counterculture "simple-life" kid who makes it. It was never "just an adventure story" Thats a disrespect to Star Wars The OT was perfect for its time and was all about the politics of the late 70s and early 80's.

Again, the actuality of the politics means nothing, how it was portrayed is the important part. In the OT, we're not stuck hearing negotiations with Seperatists or spending time listening to some mentally disabled frog speak to a galactic senate. We know there is a political struggle in the OT, but its simply not as involved as the politics in the PT.

The PT is the OT evolved/grown up.

Really? TPM was remarkably childish. It's not Star Wars grown, it's Star Wars made crappy.

Things arent black and white anymore.

Really? Only in ROTS are things not black and white. In TPM/AotC we have the "evil" Sepepratists, "evil" droids and "evil" Sith, we have "good" Jedi, "good" Republic and "good" clones. Things are black and white for the most part.

This isn't some childhood rebellion. The PT is about growing up.
No, it's not.

This is the 21st century. We are discussing a neo-romantic movement in the midst of overpoliticization, war, and the breakdown of cold war ideals.

We are? We see a lame Seperatist movement that does not make the audience consider their ideals, "war" only begins at the very end of AotC, and we have War in the OT btw. Better ones.

The PT is about greys. The jedi ideal that you prize from the OT don't work here. You cnat see good, wou can't see evil.

We can, maybe you couldn't. The Jedi = Good, The Sith (Palpatine) = Bad. Simple, isn't it? The Republic is the only "gray" thing in the PT. And it's so uninteresting in the first place the audience would have been hard-pressed to care.

Your trapped in a society where everything is planned where you aare destined to achieve an objective because you believe that to be true (Anakin's prophecy). Its about living in a destabilizing society. The PT is about complicated current sociopolitical theory.

Again, these ideas are only introduced in ROTS. Intoduced terribly, BTW.

Seriously, watch the OT then watch the PT. Minus Sith, you'll notice the rapid decline in quality.

Jedi Priestess

More accurate words were never spoken..........

SpyCspider
i kinda hafta agree with Ocelot.

The OT showed.

The PT told.

Because the OT seemed "simpler," it had "deeper" meanings. I showed my mom (who despises sci-fi and aliens and films about space, etc) both the OT and the PT for the first time. Guess which one she enjoyed more? The OT.

oh here's one:

Good Star Wars: way Yoda talked in OT
Bad Star Wars: way Yoda "forced himself to sound like Yoda" in the PT

Tangible God
I think the OT had the perfect blend of natural charm and clever humour. Nothing seemed forced.

The only time I remember something actually being both clever and funny in the PT was in "Clones" when the music stopped as Padme pulled away from Anakin's kiss on Naboo.

Funnily enough not a lot of people got that. Plus, was great to see Lucas finally taking the piss. HA! Finally someone who found that funny. No one I know saw the humour in that.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Tangible God
HA! Finally someone who found that funny. No one I know saw the humour in that.

Must be a Canada thing, eh?

Sith Master X
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))

Thank you.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))

...only done in such a way that makes people say "that movie sucked!"

darthvader_fan
...only done in such a way that makes people say "that movie sucked!" that movie did not suck i dont know what the f**k your talking about

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by darthvader_fan
that movie did not suck i dont know what the f**k your talking about

Sorry man...that's what people say.

OB1-adobe
I don't understand how some of you idiots can be like:

"yeah Darth maul was kick ass, and the pod race was awesome, cool lightsaber fights, and a lot of the story was interesting....but yeah that movie just sucked though."

Alliance
I don't understand how some of you idiots can be like:

"yeah Darth maul was kick ass, and the pod race was awesome, cool lightsaber fights, and a lot of the story was interesting....but yeah that movie just sucked though."

WOAH!...lay off the ad-hominum comments.

There is more to a movie than just simply thinking its good. I think all the SW movies excluding ANH were bad movies...they are not well made! They don't hold up as a film, espcially due to their atrocius acting and childlike dialogue (ESB "nerf herder"? ROTS "i love you...no i love you...no i love you...no i love you"wink. YET...the reason I like them so much are the concepts presented: art, cinematography, cultural statement, visual impact, thematic impact, and universe (these are my personal favorites which I'm sure ar shared by others)

There is more to a movie than it being a good piece of film. Maul represents an amazing character design (for a new role that had not been previously in the SW films). The podrace has incredible sound and camera movements (like the ANH trench run). The TPM lightsaber fight was more advanced than anything we had seen the the OT (which is stimulating visually). The move had a good plot (though Lucas CLEARLY did not handle it well and focused on the wrong things).

In short, there are aspects of the films that make SW wonderful films that we charish. That does not make them a good movie... i have no problem liking crappy films like Star Wars because I think they're great and offer us so much more than the artistic experience of a good film. I hold different standards.

Alliance

EPIIIBITES
Ahhhh! My thread is deteriorating into Star Wars debating jibberish!

...some good points though I must admit.

BUT...

GOOD STAR WARS: Big climactic battles!

BAD STAR WARS: Big climactic battles that end with a little kid accidentally flying up to the bad guys' starship. blowing it up and saving the day...(and you wonder why people think the new Star Wars movies suck).

Alliance

BUT...

BAD STAR WARS: Big climactic battles that end with a little kid accidentally flying up to the bad guys' starship. blowing it up and saving the day...(and you wonder why people think the new Star Wars movies suck).

YES!....

that was stupid... one of the best quotes prior to episode III was...when showing the EIII space battle was something along the lines of "at first, the large number of capitol ships might seem meanacing, unitl you realize that one of these was accidentally destroyed by and 8 year old" laughing

(but the PT doesnt suck big grin, and sorry for gunking up your thread!)

SpyCspider
Good Star Wars: Ewoks being cute and furry and accepting cookies (from Leia)
Bad Star Wars: Ewoks were going to roast Han, Luke, and Chewbacca alive to eat them....that's f*cked up

OB1-adobe

BUT...

It was Inevetitable dude. Sorry, but once someone in here makes the statement that the "the OT: Good, The PT: Bad" it just snow balls after that.

I saw it coming

EPIIIBITES
That's cool. I'm not actually pissed.

anyways...

GOOD STARWARS!: Wolfman and Hyena-Man in Cantina!

BAD STAR WARS!: No Wolfman and Hyena-Man in Cantina!

chinabing
Nuh-uh. That would be:

GOOD STAR WARS: Big climactic battles that end with a little kid accidentally flying up to the bad guys' starship. blowing it up and saving the day.

I love that scene! Plus the line "Now this is podracing!"

That's just fulfilling the prophesy, "When I first met Anakin, he was already a great pilot."

SpyCspider
^I bet you also liked when Obi-wan said "you were right about one thing master, the negotiations were short

or when Threepio said 'i'm scrap...this is a niiiiiiteemare....i wanna go home"
and when he said "oh this is such a drag."

wink

chinabing
It's Star Wars. If you were expecting Hamlet, go to another space opera.

SpyCspider
that opera Palpatine and Anakin were watching was some deep trippy sh*tttttt, i BET IT WAS HAMLET.

Good Star Wars: Palpatine cackling
Bad Star Wars: Palpatine talking to Anakin (as he proclaims him Vader) like he was badly squeezing one out

Tangible God
Good SW: Any of Palpatine's lines with the below exception.

Bad SW: Palpatine cackling like a fool, when only twenty cinemetographic minutes earlier he was a mysterious, wisened old man with a hidden agenda we couldn't quite piece together.

Alliance
It's Star Wars. If you were expecting Hamlet, go to another space opera.

You are genius...props. But I must protest. Hamlet was a play.

Oh, wtf. Props to all for the witty Palps comments.

and Bad Star Wars: Palps going through Sith puberty. (check out that voice.. ) pirate

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by SpyCspider
Bad Star Wars: Palpatine talking to Anakin (as he proclaims him Vader) like he was badly squeezing one out

lol. That's hilarious dude.

EPIIIBITES
Nuh-uh. That would be:

GOOD STAR WARS: Big climactic battles that end with a little kid accidentally flying up to the bad guys' starship. blowing it up and saving the day.

Oh yeah that's right...it was the Force...good one George.

Lana
Nuh-uh. That would be:

I love that scene! Plus the line "Now this is podracing!"

That's just fulfilling the prophesy, "When I first met Anakin, he was already a great pilot."

I think those were probably the worst scenes in TPM, Anakin blowing up the Trade Federation ship and the podrace.

Most pointless, anyway.

EPIIIBITES
Thought the podrace was pretty cool...didn't really get the shots I wanted though.

And the line "Now this is podracing!" was during the space battle.

chinabing
Oh yeah that's right...it was the Force...good one George. It WAS the Force . . . or would that be Chance, or even Mere Luck?

That whole climax of TPM is fantastic. All the theaters of battle coming to a climax with impending doom in all, then victory. What a wild ride. I couldn't believe it when Anakin blew up the ship, what a wonderful thing. It was great joy.

It's part of the joy of Star Wars, seen in all 6 movies. That young people, when placed in positions of trial, can do heroic deeds. It's part of the Hero's Journey.

When you watch TPM, imagine you are 9 years old; you'd believe that you too could do something like Anakin did.

EPIIIBITES
It WAS the Force . . . or would that be Chance, or even Mere Luck?

Yeah I know it was the Force...that doesn't make it good writing...it's a ridiculous cop-out!

And as for your question from the other forum...half of these films are bad films...guess which ones!

SpyCspider
"let's try spinning, that's a good trick!!! woaaa-hhhh--oooahhh....."

or just happening to blow up the internal generators that were keeping the droid army operational...

hardly the Force at work if you ask me

Luke shooting those fireballs into the Death Star without the help of the guidance system.....that's Force at work.

If they had shown Anakin doing the EXACT same things minus all his quips so all we saw were his actions, I'd be more pressed to believe it was cuz he was the Chosen One...

but hey, whatever makes you like Star Wars smile

Tangible God
Thought the podrace was pretty cool...didn't really get the shots I wanted though.

And the line "Now this is podracing!" was during the space battle. I declared this the corniest, cheesiest, most childish line uttered by a human in the whole series.

EPIIIBITES
I declared this the corniest, cheesiest, most childish line uttered by a human in the whole series.

Much agreed

Tangible God
Of course Binks was the master of it, but I had to scale down the competition. Jeez I'm glad Jake Llyod hasn't received any other work.

chinabing
I declared this the corniest, cheesiest, most childish line uttered by a human in the whole series.

I hereby declare "Now this is podracing" to be the finest line uttered in the entire series.

Alliance
What saves that line for me is the force theme/duel of the fates combo playing in the backgorund.

It is the worst line, jsut doesn't have the worst context...which makes it bearable.

OB1-adobe
Dumbest Anakin moment:

Greatest star pilot in the galaxy huh?

"I'm trying but I can't find the trigger, maybe its this one......Oh wait here it is."

The controls are so blatantly in front him, but GL writes him like idiot in that part.

EPIIIBITES
I like:

"I'm a person, and my name is Anakin!"

Alliance
The controls are so blatantly in front him, but GL writes him like idiot in that part.

GL wrote him like an idot in many parts. Actually I dislike this aspect of TPM the most. Nothing like a bumbling 8year old to spoil a movie.

Anakin should have been a girl, played by Dakota Fanning, and then had a sex change between TPM and AOTC. << solves the Jake Lloyd problem, but not GL.

EPIIIBITES
btw...

GOOD STAR WARS: Boba Fett with firing missle/Jawa with cloth cape.

BAD STAR WARS: Parent's basement

Tangible God
I hereby declare "Now this is podracing" to be the finest line uttered in the entire series. Bastard. You just hate me 'cause I'm whit-----uh... a negative stereo-type.

jainasolo55
BAD SW: natalie portman

GOOD SW: almost everything else

Tangible God
^ Add all of TPM to that and you've got spot on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.