Progressive rock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JaehSkywalker
what do you think of it, and can you please gimme some bands and there songs that sings this genre of music?

just curious...

papabeard
do you mean bands like Pink Floyd, YES and UFO, also Secret Machines are a bit "prog"

mysterio69
rush. man, i hate rush.

Revernd Maynard
And like King Crimson?

Red Superfly
Led Zeppelin.

Stick with them, and all will be good.

Ronny
Dredg is a pretty good prog band yes

A couple of their songs you may enjoy; Sanzen, Ode to the sun, Bug eyes, and catch without arms yes

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by mysterio69
rush. man, i hate rush.
More Rush for me!

JaehSkywalker
is dream theater prog? does anybody know who they are? coz i dont..... can you give other examples?

papabeard
King Crimson are good, what about Hawkwind?

Deicide
man u hate Rush?? thats your loss...smile
Dream Theater is another awesome "prog" band. King Crimson is another good one. i like "In the Court of the Crimson King" that is an awesome song. i can play that on bass. Yes is awesome, i like alot of their music. Chris Squire is just an awesome bassist.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Ronny
Dredg is a pretty good prog band yes

A couple of their songs you may enjoy; Sanzen, Ode to the sun, Bug eyes, and catch without arms yes

Dredg are not a prog band. If you can't use existing labels right, don't use them at all.

-AC

Deano
shadow gallery are a great band

Bardock42
Originally posted by Deano
shadow gallery are a great band

The Shadow Gallery is a great Hideout.

alic88
i think these days dream theater define the best of prog rock/metal

Tptmanno1
How would you really Discribe Prog?
Is Dream Theater really have anything similar to the likes of Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree? or something like Spock's Beard?
But then why wouldn't Dredg be Prog? Sure they are poppy but so is newer Porcupine Tree...

Not trying to argue, I am actually confused how you would label it.

Alpha Centauri
Dredg aren't prog because they're not prog, that's why.

It has nothing to do with sounding more "poppy" or not, it's to do with the music. I wouldn't necessarily describe Porcupine Tree as prog.

Prog bands are Yes, King Crimson (Although they dislike the label), early Rush, certain Dream Theater. Porcupine Tree and Dredg are just rock bands.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Prog is complex song structures, concepts and the like, but often it is used to describe a sound.

This is why there's never any need to go beyond labels such as rock, metal et al.

Tptmanno1
Whatever.
I'm agreeing with VVD at this point.
It really doesn't matter much.

Etrigan
The best prog bands I know are Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rick Wakeman's solo stuff, Yes, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson.

Slay
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker
is dream theater prog? does anybody know who they are? coz i dont..... can you give other examples?
They call Dream Theater Prog Metal. erm

BackFire
Dredg falls under the definition of progressive music/rock from what I understand. It's a term that's been used to describe them by numerous music reviewers and critics since before the Leitmotif album. It's even a term that was used by them to describe their music a while back on their old old webpage, which has since changed and no longer has information about their style. So you can take my word on that if you like, or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_music

They do both of those.

And those.

Plus, there's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dredg which describes them as progressive.

Finally, there's - http://www.purevolume.com/dredg - a site who's link can be found on Dredg's main webpage, on the "listen" section to be exact, which describes them as progressive and experimental. If I'm not mistaken the above site was created by them, well, their section I mean, so they even describe themselves as progressive.

Alpha Centauri
This doesn't change the fact that Dredg aren't a prog band. I could go grab many links that describe Porcupine Tree as prog, but they're not.

Progressive rock is a very specific label and the bands that actually are prog, are nothing like Dredg. Dredg are a rock band, just a rock band. Nothing to do with prog. Leitmotif era, maybe. Certainly not now. El Cielo had a concept but it had no complex rhythm changes or signatures (at least not enough to be called prog) and nothing like the sound. Catch Without Arms and El Cielo are nothing like an "uninterrupted" musical journey. Nor is Leitmotif really.

Yes, King Crimson, E.L.P, P.o.S etc. Those are prog bands. Dredg are not a prog band. Oh, and I wouldn't trust Wikipedia on this. They describe Opeth as a death metal band. They're obviously into silly, thoughtless labelling. Again, I could go find many labels and quotes that do so, but they do not adhere to what a pure death metal band is.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
As a (semi) aside, remember that Wiki is written by anyone who wants to write on it. Their opinion doesn't gain any extra veracity just because they uploaded it to that site.

CommandahKeen
Prog's alright. Most of it's too pretentious though, and ends up sucking.

I dig me some early Fates Warning, Camel, Enslaved, Control Denied, King Crimson, etc.

JaehSkywalker
isn't prog metal also prog rock?

Alpha Centauri
Metal and rock are just different enough to have their own genres.

Beyond that it's pointless.

-AC

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Etrigan
The best prog bands I know are Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rick Wakeman's solo stuff, Yes, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson. I wouldn't think Pink Floyd is Prog, and if they are...they probably dont think they are

JaehSkywalker
oh, ok...

Jabba the Hutt
Dream Theater is amazing. Liquid Tension Experiment is pretty good too.

JaehSkywalker
hmm..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.