Superman Returns Going 3-D on IMAX!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFanboy
http://www.movietab.com/news/00011.shtml

What does everyone think? I'm pretty excited, definitely will see it in 3-D , but probably not for my first viewing. stick out tongue

roughrider
My problem is that films like Superman and Star Wars are shot in some anamorphic widescreen format, and IMAX is shaped like a perfect square - though a giant square. That means cutting off the sides of the frame to fit the blocky IMAX format. So, you are watching a giant pan-and-scan presentation. I don't buy pan-and-scan/fullscreen films on DVD; I certainly don't like it in a theatre. If something is actually shot in IMAX, that's different.
Plus, because of the size of the IMAX frame, a film to date cannot exceed two hours because of the size of the reels. When I saw the IMAX presentation of Attack Of The Clones, I was dismayed to see twenty minutes had been cut, to fit the IMAX requirements.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by roughrider
My problem is that films like Superman and Star Wars are shot in some anamorphic widescreen format, and IMAX is shaped like a perfect square - though a giant square. That means cutting off the sides of the frame to fit the blocky IMAX format. So, you are watching a giant pan-and-scan presentation. I don't buy pan-and-scan/fullscreen films on DVD; I certainly don't like it in a theatre. If something is actually shot in IMAX, that's different.
Plus, because of the size of the IMAX frame, a film to date cannot exceed two hours because of the size of the reels. When I saw the IMAX presentation of Attack Of The Clones, I was dismayed to see twenty minutes had been cut, to fit the IMAX requirements.

I've heard of these same drawbacks too. It's too bad because Imax is awsome save for those limitations. I remember watching the "Matrix: Reloaded" in Imax and it blew me away. You see every detail and the sound was spectacular.

I'll watch S.R. on Imax but after I watch it in theatres first. Can't wait.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.