The Weatherman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Anyone enjoy this movie?

I didn't think it would be that good, but I was pleasantly surprised. Nicolas Cage is pretty funny in it. It recently came out on DVD.

Discuss!

smokin'

Nevermind
I saw this last week I think and thought it was pretty good. Nicolas Cage has been on a roll lately.

Cinemaddiction
I hate all this midlife crisis and adult drama bullshit. Broken Flowers, Door In the Floor, Lost in Translation, Squid and the Whale, etc. "The Weather Man" especially.

95% of the people on these boards that have seen this/these movies can;t even relate. The content zips right over their heads. I'm honestly tired of Hollywood milking the menopausal, desperate housewives and down on their luck working men. It's art imitating life, as if people needed a movie reflecting their everyday shitty life, suggesting there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

It's so pretentious and snobbish it makes me sick.

wonner
just dont what anyone can have against Broken Flowers (i think it was great!) and The Weatherman really suck - it is too blurry, not good ...

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
It's art imitating life, as if people needed a movie reflecting their everyday shitty life, suggesting there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

You say that like its a bad thing. pfft.

If there's no light at the end of YOUR tunnel, don't go pissing in everyone else's cornflakes over it.

botankus
I hate all this midlife crisis and adult drama bullshit. Broken Flowers, Door In the Floor, Lost in Translation, Squid and the Whale, etc. "The Weather Man" especially.

95% of the people on these boards that have seen this/these movies can;t even relate. The content zips right over their heads. I'm honestly tired of Hollywood milking the menopausal, desperate housewives and down on their luck working men. It's art imitating life, as if people needed a movie reflecting their everyday shitty life, suggesting there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

Even though I happened to like The Weather Man in particular, Cory is dead-on, and for all you noobs out there, get used to him being dead-on.

Broken Flowers, Lost In Translation, Bill Murray's next blah-Best Actor snub blah movie, zzzzzzzzzz................

Wolfie
I enjoyed this movie. I cracked up every time something was thrown at him.

SnakeEyes
Same here ^

And Cine, I don't necessarily need to relate to the movie in order to enjoy or understand it. I am a teenager, not a middle-aged man who has gone through a divorce and ultimately has a shitty life, but I still enjoyed the film/understood it perfectly fine. I didn't claim it was the best movie ever, because you're right, it isn't... but I thought it was good enough to be considered a decent film. And I didn't really interpret that there was a light at the end of the tunnel with this movie. Nicolas Cage's character didn't gain any of the things he wanted (his wife back, his children) by the time the film was over. He had basically come to terms with the fact that things kinda suck. I mean, his life did improve, but at the same time, the things that did improve weren't really that important. Bottomline: You're mostly right (as always), but I fail to see anything that made it a horrible movie. I, for one, enjoyed it.

Wolfie
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
And Cine, I don't necessarily need to relate to the movie in order to enjoy or understand it.
Exactly, how screwed up would our lives be if we had to relate to EVERY movie we enjoy?

SnakeEyes
Bump

Any other views on this film?

Tired Hiker
Yeah, I totally loved it, and I don't care if anyone thinks I'm some sort of snob or whatever. It's just a freakin' movie, nothing to get worked up over. It entertained me, I can't help that. I thought it was one of Nick Cage's better performances. I also work in the news business and have seen first hand how the weatherman deals with the constant inquiries from people who could care less about the weather, they just want to talk to the guy they see on TV every day. Jim Vanderswaan, the guy I'm talking about, is always patient with these people, and he'll tell them about the weather, he'll talk your ear off if you even ask him. Jim has it down, as Nick Cage learned. He's the weatherman, deal with it. The movie was about a guy not accepting who he was at face value. Once he harnessed the reality, that to most people, he's the weatherman, he embraced it and life took a turn for the better. I think that's a message many of us need to hear.

Loved it! yes

Eis

I would agree with most of what u said except that I loved Lost in Translation and I related to it... Which is the main reason why I loved the movie so much.

ECHUD123456
Too Many Cameltoes My Freinds And I Were Laughing Through The Entire Movie Cus The Write Must Have A Camel Toe Fetish Or Something But I Completely Agree With Cinemite, He Has An Awesome Name And Sig Too. smile

Heinous Anus
Hi! I like movies, but...I got "The Weatherman" in the mail..Nic Cage flick...a friend at work tells me its a comedy...Well its no comedy, you know...So I sweat it out..40- fitty minutes worth... I figger Cage is playing his usual self..alittle off in the head, whole world coming down on him...till he loses it and goes nuts...You know how he looks down, his hand slightly raised and shaking; so rattled and he's searching for words...Hes the best at that, by the way. So anyways Im watching up to the point where he just took up archery himself, but his blob of a daughter is still disinterested...and them BLAM!, my old lady gets so tore up about his plight, that she rushes the DVD player, ejects the disk, packages it back in its mailer, trods it to the mailbox...flag up! At 10:30 at night.

So, can some one tell me did he :
A. Go bananas and start shooting his EX, that pedofile counselor, his daughter, his dad, everybody....

or
B. Somehow everything works out and they all live happily ever after.

I dont plan to re-rent the damn thing, so I'd appreciate if someone could give me a brief synopsis.

Thanks,

H.A.

Council#13
Oh my god, Anus, change your sig. That thing is disgusting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.