Heart Of Darkness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Great Vengeance
I just finished it, and I wholly recommend it to everyone. The book is deep in its implications, very philosophical and a good study on human psychology. Conrad also has the book over-flowing with amazing and beautiful poetry, any poet looking to become better can learn alot from this book...hell anyone can learn alot from this book, pick it up today.

Gregory
I remember that when I read it, I really wished Conrad would have used more paragraphs. But it's certainly a classic.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You wish to alter perfection? "The horror, the horror..."

Have a go at 'Lord Jim'. It's great, too.

amity75
I bought it years ago and I've tried to read it so many times but I just can't get into it.

papabeard
It not bad, I had difficulty getting into it also, not quite as exciting as Apocalypse Now somehow.

Dreampanther
I hated the book. Had to suffer through it for English Lit. Full of doom and gloom.

Give me Apocalypse Now anytime! Robert Duvall's legend-making role: "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

Addiction
If you're asked to read it for a class or something... The movie Heart of Darkness with Tim Roth and John Malkovich was bearable.

Clone
hmmm.........Should I read it?

Addiction
Yes, I say read it if you are curious... it is a classic for a reason.

Clone
but so is the Great Gatsby shifty i guess i'll read it! smile

Addiction
Good point. but Heart of Darkness is just a tad more adventurous. True, it can get a bit slow at times, but not the oh-god-i-want-to-tear-my-eyes-out-great-gatsby kinda slow.

Clone
laughing out loud

Great Vengeance
Hmm, apparently not everyone shared my liking for it. Ah well, to each his own.

papabeard
"Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month"

hahahahah, very funny.

Chuck has become a bit of ironic legend on the old interweb.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
Hmm, apparently not everyone shared my liking for it. Ah well, to each his own.

It's more likely a case of some children not fully understanding what they are reading. 'Heart of Darkness' is an exceptional novel, as is 'The Great Gatsby'.

Addiction
"children"?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
"Yes, we are all our fathers' children, but I most pertinently refer to intellectual development still paralyzed in the infantile phase."

Gregory
People can legitimately not like "great" books, you know, however much it might pain English profs to admit it.

Addiction
I never said I didn't like Heart of Darkness. If you look above, I actually recommended it to someone. Great Gatsby, on the other hand, bored the hell out of me. It was a good story, just a terrible read. Like Gregory was saying, it is a matter of personal opinion. Not liking the book doesn't make me a "child" or "infantile" in any way, shape, or form. I refuse to say a book is great just because it is referred to as a "classic". If I hated it, I hated it, and I'll never read it again, nor recommend anyone else read it. I'd feel more like a child if I simply gave in and said the book was good just because someone told me I should feel that way.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh, I'm quite aware of that. However, I'm of the disposition that the people who don't like the books I love are the idiots who shall doom the world.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.