Thor Victorious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wonder Man
To bring happiness to all the versus members.
There is a list made by marvel of the top ten and who is Number One in Marvel.
Thor takes the Number One spot above Hulk or Surfer.
I guess i've been wrong in some of my preferences.
If anybody knows the list Im speaking of with the pics of the heros from ten to one...post it here.

spetznaz
I don't know about the list, and for Thor to be number one it must mean that they did not include some of the more abstract (as well as non-abstract but still non-mainstream characters .....Marvel has a good number of 'blink-the-earth-away' types) characters, but with that said I can understand how Thor can be ranked that high (particularly if they stick to the TRULY mainstream characters).

If he decided to use the wide variety of powers he has been written as having over the decades, and especially made full use of Mjolnir, Thor is easily a very powerful character. Definitely more powerful than the likes of the Hulk (who, as I've said before, is truly one dimensional).
Thus a Thor who is using all the powers he has is a force to reckon with.

The only problem is that most of the times he is written as a brawler who uses his Uru hammer as a baseball bat, to smack people in the FRONT of the head with, or as a trick boomerang to strike people in the BACK of the head with!
And then there is the%2

Wonder Man
No Marvel just meant the strong guys of Marvel like Surfer Hulk Gladiator and the like

JohnR
Originally posted by spetznaz
If he decided to use the wide variety of powers he has been written as having over the decades, and especially made full use of Mjolnir, Thor is easily a very powerful character. Definitely more powerful than the likes of the Hulk (who, as I've said before, is truly one dimensional).

The only problem is that most of the times he is written as a brawler who uses his Uru hammer as a baseball bat, to smack people in the FRONT of the head with, or as a trick boomerang to strike people in the BACK of the head with!
And then there is the%2

Thor is definitely more versatile than the Hulk. The Hulk only hits people from the front, while Thor can hit them from the front AND the back! Throw in the occasional lightning bolt hitting his targets from above and Thor is a fully three-dimensional character that practically leaps off the page!

Validus
Originally posted by spetznaz
I don't know about the list, and for Thor to be number one it must mean that they did not include some of the more abstract (as well as non-abstract but still non-mainstream characters .....Marvel has a good number of 'blink-the-earth-away' types) characters, but with that said I can understand how Thor can be ranked that high (particularly if they stick to the TRULY mainstream characters).

And then there is the%2
I agree. Actually I think if he had true super speed along the likes of Superman, he'd be unbeatable by all but the cosmic characters. Still, I think Mjolnir, even if used as a baseball bat, is still underwritten in its damage output. Compare the damage done by a normal person's fist and a normal person swinging a sledgehammer. Huge difference. Now take Thor with his already incredible physical strength (top tier) and look at the damage he can do with that alone. Add in an indestructible war mallet and it's hard believe any non cosmic character can take more than one hit from him and not be rendered a vegetable.

Horrificus
Originally posted by Wonder Man
To bring happiness to all the versus members.
There is a list made by marvel of the top ten and who is Number One in Marvel.
Thor takes the Number One spot above Hulk or Surfer.
I guess i've been wrong in some of my preferences.
If anybody knows the list Im speaking of with the pics of the heros from ten to one...post it here.

ok, where is this list?

Dizzle
I'd definitely like to see it as well... Thor's a badass, but I seriously don't see him beating Surfer. They're pretty equal in terms of raw power, save the massive, massive speed advantage in Surfer's favor.

Are you sure it was measuring the most powerful heroes in Marvel? I remember an old Wizard list that had Thor as 2 and Surfer as 1, but that was for all comics. (not even Marvel and DC, as it had Spawn)

grey fox
I think he means the Wizard List ?

aliveinboston
Originally posted by Dizzle
I'd definitely like to see it as well... Thor's a badass, but I seriously don't see him beating Surfer. They're pretty equal in terms of raw power, save the massive, massive speed advantage in Surfer's favor.

1) Marvel has always shown Thor to be more powerful than SS. He has always been shown overpowering the surfer and the surfer himself has admitted that Thor is the most powerful.

2) Power is speed x force. Therefore, since the surfer has a finite maximum power (unlike someone like perhaps the beyonder), he can either go fast and not be able to apply much force or move slowly and apply a lot of force. It's basic physics and applies to any debate involving any character with a finite power rating.

Wonder Man
I thought it was a marvel list. I think it was billed as last man standing sort of thing. Thor was number 1

Mindship
The first time Thor and Surfer fought, Surfer had already been drastically depowered from his encounter with the sonic shark...this was done to prep Surfer for his own series (he was considered too powerful to be a leading character--too hard to write stories for, since he was confined to Earth).
FF#72 - Surfer (referring to the sonic shark): "It has...almost totally drained me...of my cosmic power."
FF#74 - Surfer (speaking as he blasts Galactus' Punisher): "Though my own power is but a fraction of what it once had been...perhaps I can still muster a strong enough atom-compacting thrust!"
FF#76 - Surfer (while being attacked by the FF): "Though I no longer possess the limitless powers of the cosmos...still am I the Silver Surfer!"
FF#77 ... SS debuts for first time in his own mag--referred to in this FF issue.
SS fought Thor, what, 4th issue of that series? Based on the continuity from the FF mags, clearly, Surfer was not in top form. Even with Loki's power added, he was still not what he was (he fought Loki to a tie, implying the best Loki coulda done was simply double Surfer's current power level...still far less than his pre-sonic-shark days).

The second time SS and Thor fought, Thor had warrior madness--which increased his power Ten Fold! And still, SS was able to hold his own until the very end.

Thor does not have Surfer's durability nor his speed, and while he may have some power versatility, Thor generally punches and hammer-smashes. When he does use his most powerful blasts, it also takes a few seconds or so for Thor to "warm-up." Surfer would not give him those seconds.

Biased I am, but I suspect an ulterior motive on Marvel's part.

Space M ummy
Originally posted by Mindship
The first time Thor and Surfer fought, Surfer had already been drastically depowered from his encounter with the sonic shark...this was done to prep Surfer for his own series (he was considered too powerful to be a leading character--too hard to write stories for, since he was confined to Earth).
FF#72 - Surfer (referring to the sonic shark): "It has...almost totally drained me...of my cosmic power."
FF#74 - Surfer (speaking as he blasts Galactus' Punisher): "Though my own power is but a fraction of what it once had been...perhaps I can still muster a strong enough atom-compacting thrust!"
FF#76 - Surfer (while being attacked by the FF): "Though I no longer possess the limitless powers of the cosmos...still am I the Silver Surfer!"
FF#77 ... SS debuts for first time in his own mag--referred to in this FF issue.
SS fought Thor, what, 4th issue of that series? Based on the continuity from the FF mags, clearly, Surfer was not in top form. Even with Loki's power added, he was still not what he was (he fought Loki to a tie, implying the best Loki coulda done was simply double Surfer's current power level...still far less than his pre-sonic-shark days).

The second time SS and Thor fought, Thor had warrior madness--which increased his power Ten Fold! And still, SS was able to hold his own until the very end.

Thor does not have Surfer's durability nor his speed, and while he may have some power versatility, Thor generally punches and hammer-smashes. When he does use his most powerful blasts, it also takes a few seconds or so for Thor to "warm-up." Surfer would not give him those seconds.

Biased I am, but I suspect an ulterior motive on Marvel's part.

Normally I'd agree that a well written surfer should be able to take nearly ANY hero in the MU (not being a fanboy...he just has insane power and versatility) but was this Thor the Current, Skyfather level Thor? Because THAT thor was stronger than Odin...no practical limit to speed, power, etc. The Surfer would be toast.

Mindship
Originally posted by Space M ummy
Normally I'd agree that a well written surfer should be able to take nearly ANY hero in the MU (not being a fanboy...he just has insane power and versatility) but was this Thor the Current, Skyfather level Thor? Because THAT thor was stronger than Odin...no practical limit to speed, power, etc. The Surfer would be toast.

As far as I know, in the first fight, Thor was regular Thor. But I have heard about this SuperThor. And if that's what Marvel is ranking as numero uno, then yes: SS = toast.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.