Frank Miller's 300

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
I just started to read 300 (by Frank Miller) last night and I think it's great. Has anyone else read this? It's about the 300 Spartans who fended off the Persians while defending Greece. They're also making a movie about it.

Discuss.

smokin'

Knightfall93
Comic or novel or what?

SnakeEyes
It's a graphic novel.

It's sort of a weird shape, too. It's height is the same as a normal graphic novel, but it's twice as wide.

Oh and it's hardcover as well.

Knightfall93
Weird... 'll loook into it...

olympian
One of the best novels ive ever read. Best artwork Miller ever did together with sin city also.

I higly recommend it.

K Von Doom
I read it when they first released it in regular comic size. Pretty good stuff.

Lucid Lui
Yeah, i read it in regular size aswell. Really loved the art.

SnakeEyes
Just finished it today. I thought it was pretty awesome. Didn't like Xerxes, though! Anyone else read it?

Thunderstrike
I'd like to sometime. Can you give a plot synopsis and scans, SnakeEyes?

soleran30
Battle of Thermopoli! Thats a bad ass fight no matter what book I read about it in or hear about it just insane.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Thunderstrike
I'd like to sometime. Can you give a plot synopsis and scans, SnakeEyes?

"300 is a graphic novel, written and illustrated by Frank Miller with painted colors by Lynn Varley. It depicts the Battle of Thermopylae and the events leading up to it from the perspective of Leonidas, king of Sparta. The comic was particularly inspired by the 1962 film The 300 Spartans, a movie that Miller watched as a young boy.

Every page of the comic was illustrated as a double-page spread. When the series was collected into hardcover form, the individual pages were twice as wide as a normal comic. Miller's art style for this project was not too dissimilar from that of his Sin City work, although the addition of color is an obvious difference."

Sorry, I can't provide scans... I have no scanner.

roughrider
If you enjoyed 300 - and who wouldn't - a companion piece to read is the novel Gates Of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. It has a bit wider focus, of the history before and after the Battle of Thermopylae. It was going to be a competing film project, but 300 has won the race to shoot and be released first.

SnakeEyes
I actually started reading Gates of Fire before I read 300, but 300 took me only a couple days to read, as opposed to Gates of Fire. I'm about halfway through the book though and it's really good.

SnakeEyes
BUMP

Etrigan
Heard about it. Not read, but it sounds pretty good. Lynn Varley and Frank Miller make a good team, as DKR proved.

SnakeEyes
I'm not sure if a movie is such a good idea, though.

The graphic novel was pretty cool, but it didn't have nearly enough substance to create a film....

Soleran
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I actually started reading Gates of Fire before I read 300, but 300 took me only a couple days to read, as opposed to Gates of Fire. I'm about halfway through the book though and it's really good.

Gates of Fire is the book I read several years ago its a great book! Spartans were insane when they trained every single part of the military. In my opinion you won't be disappointed with the Book Gates of Fire, I enjoyed it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.