Big Love

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morning_Glory
Has anyone else been watching Big Love on HBO...about the Polygamist family

starring:
Bill Paxton
Chloe Sevigny
Gennifer Goodwin
Jeanne Tripplehorn
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/03/11/hbo.jpg

BlackSunshine
I've been watching that show every Sunday with my sister-in-law. The first episode wasn't that great IMO but its getting ALOT more intresting now.

tlbauerle
This show really frustrates me, as it intentionally blurs the line between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) and the individuals and communities that practice polygamy.

In fact, I wrote up a detailed essay on the subject, which is up and available on my website:

http://www.toddlbauerle.com/written/epinions.htm

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
I've been watching that show every Sunday with my sister-in-law. The first episode wasn't that great IMO but its getting ALOT more intresting now.

yea the first show was a snoozer but the last couple have been interesting, I feel sorry for Ruth sad (i think thats her name, the 15 or 16 yr old girl married to that old icky guy... Nikki's father)

Bill Paxton's character frustrates me, but it's probably because it is a different sort of culture or lifestyle and I wouldn't want to be controled by a man like the way they are. IMO happy

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by tlbauerle
This show really frustrates me, as it intentionally blurs the line between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) and the individuals and communities that practice polygamy.

In fact, I wrote up a detailed essay on the subject, which is up and available on my website:

http://www.toddlbauerle.com/written/epinions.htm

Im not really familiar with either, so not sure .. I'll read your essay happy

tlbauerle
Thanks...its rather long, but detailed.

Out of curiousity, since you were not informed of either...

...What religion did you think Bill and his family was?

Morning_Glory
i just knew the show was about polygamy, I wasn't really sure what sort of religion that was... Im assuming it is Christian based and all that but i dont know the details

tlbauerle
Interesting, let me know what you thought of that essay if/when you read it!

Thanks!

Aurora
I have been watching it. I am not too familiar w/ the religion aspect or the specifics. I think that it started off slow but it is a good show. I am really intrested in where they end up taking the show.

ariwin
I've been watching obsessively since the first episode. So far, so good. i've been really pleased with the way that the screenwriters have tackled charcter development, etc.

I actually recently read this great article on the premiere:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187261,00.html

I have to hand it to HBO, they have tackled a very sensative, difficult issue very well.

Let is also be known that the Henrickson family is not really Mormon, I don't think that they belong to an organized religion at all, except for maybe Nicki.

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by ariwin
I've been watching obsessively since the first episode. So far, so good. i've been really pleased with the way that the screenwriters have tackled charcter development, etc.

I actually recently read this great article on the premiere:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187261,00.html

I have to hand it to HBO, they have tackled a very sensative, difficult issue very well.

Let is also be known that the Henrickson family is not really Mormon, I don't think that they belong to an organized religion at all, except for maybe Nicki.

I think they are religious, I mean polygamy is a religion based act... they do it because they feel it is right, actually there are many reasons why they do it.

yea HBO has done well this time

Aurora
I think that HBO knew they had a good thing when they placed the show after The Sopranos, it's a hard show to follow up.

ariwin
I agree with you Aurora.

I also take back my statements about the Henrickson family not being religious. I totally forgot that the son goes to Seminary.

DUH!

I really liked the most recent episode. Its obvious that Barb is Bill's true love. There was a part where I thought they were going to run away together.

::sigh::

Morning_Glory
isnt Barb, Bill's original - first wife?

I love the Nikki character, so devious...sort of ... I love it!

forumcrew
i just caught it for the first time tonight, and im gonna try to catch up on it. I am actually babtised mormon, I dont practice it as im just not really the religious type, but I am very familiar with it and I have a lot of family in Utah who do practice. I do think they should clarify more that LDS do NOT believe in polygamy, they make it clear on the show that they must hide it and people are against it, but not that the church is against it, and this is a common misconception by people and the show isnt helping.

tlbauerle
Seriously...I agree. You might be interested in that Essay I mentioned earlier in the thread....I didn't know you were inactive LDS...small world.

Aurora
I think that they have done a good job of making the show religious but not church religious. The family it's self is very religious and their chosen way of life is just a reflection of that. I am trying to think if they had ever reffered to the family as Morman I don't think they have, I could be wrong.

I do remember that the girl who works w/ the daughter (can't remember her name) is Morman, and does not aprove of polygamy.

Does anyone else feel that they are foreshadowing something between Margine and the son?
blink

tlbauerle
I totally agree about the Margine thing...saw it coming from a very early episode.

No they have never specifically said the Hendrickson's are Mormon, but there are enough practices and other things that make it look like they are Mormon...and thats the whole point of the show really...to confuse the issue and make it look like they are.

Aurora
I think that the show has a long way to go, it has done a good job of not focusing just on the fact that they are polygamists but that they are a family. And in this day and age NO family is the same, so alot of people can relate.

The characters are all very well thought out and they didn't skimp and let the all the children fade into the background. They are giving good plots to them as well. I think that the son will have a larger role soon, not only w/ margine but in general.

ariwin
I agree. Especially with the last episode, where they had that "moment" in her house. Remember that?? Gosh...talk about awkward.

Anyway -- HBO is featuring a "margene's blog" feature on their site for the show...I'm hoping she'll start blogging about it...maybe give us the inside scoop.

An interesting read nonetheless, though.

Aurora
I think last nights show made a distinction between LDS and the family. In two regards, not only the missionaries that were talking to Nicki but the neighbors who are taking Margene under their wing.

The show is getting more interesting each week. I think that it is going to be a good ride seeing how Bill pulls himself up each week. There is sooo much going on and so much on his shoulders... I don't know how he is going to do it.

I am addicted. embarrasment

Morning_Glory
yep the show gets better every week... why is Nikki being so manipulative with Barb and Bill...?

Im dont understand those other guys in the show-- the ones that keep bother Bill... ??

Morning_Glory
I think Barb wants out ninja

ariwin
BUMP!!

How could Barb now want out?? I'd want out. She's really running things in the houses...having to deal w/ Margene everyday would drive me nutso.

Has anyone been keeping up?? If there's anyone that's going to leave, I think it might be Margene.

What do you guys think??

Morning_Glory
I feel sorry for Margene-- they are always treating her like a child, she has to answer to nikki and barb-- that would drive me crazy.

I thought Margene might leave until last sundays episode-- when she did the whole baptism thing and all the things she said..blah balh

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by ariwin
BUMP!!

How could Barb now want out?? I'd want out. She's really running things in the houses...having to deal w/ Margene everyday would drive me nutso.

Has anyone been keeping up?? If there's anyone that's going to leave, I think it might be Margene.

What do you guys think??

did you watch it last night -- actually thought it was sort of funny (with the whole will thing)

i dont think Barb and Nikki were to happy about Margene getting pregnant

ariwin
Well, Margene does kind of act like the baby of the family. Have you been reading her blog on HBO's official site?? She's quite young, which there's nothing wrong with, because she's only in like her early 20's, but still.

I wouldn't be happy that she's pregnant again, she can barely handle the kids she has now.

Morning_Glory
I didnt know she had a blog

I feel sorry for Rhonda chic-- who is about to marry the 76 yr old guy...

(I just realized the other day that she was Somora from the movie The Ring) happy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.