Jesus may have walked on ice, say scientists

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
April 6, 2006 - Jesus walked on water, according to the Bible, but an expert says he may have actually walked on a hard-to-see patch of ice. Doron Nof, a Florida State University professor of oceanography, has sparked controversy by saying a rare combination of water and atmospheric conditions in the Sea of Galilee 2 000 years ago might offer a scientific explanation for one of the miracles recounted in the Bible.

Nof, an Israeli, said a patch of ice floating in the Sea of Galilee - which is actually a freshwater lake - would have been difficult to distinguish from liquid water surrounding it. "I'm not trying to provide any information that has to do with theology here," Nof said yesterday. "All we've thought is about the natural process. What theologians or anybody else does with that, it's their business, so to speak."

Reaction has been sharp. "I get hate e-mail on the average every three minutes," Nof said. Nof and co-researchers Ian McKeague of Columbia University and Nathan Paldor of Hebrew University of Jerusalem based the theory on records of water temperatures in the Mediterranean indicating two periods 2 500 to 1 500 years ago were chilly enough for ice patches to form during cold spells on the Sea of Galilee.

Discuss?

soleran30
Um that sounds lame! Yeah well show me the ice then we can talk...............................WE-tard-ED it takes forever to get ice either thick enough to walk or a block huge enough to support you it wouldn't be happening in the middle east unless you can show me a cold kick that would either be sub zero or like 20 degrees for a month.

Yeah where did this professor go to school at .....................internet university?

Arachnoidfreak
Oh sweet, I can walk on water too!

soleran30
I heard a comdian explain the walking on water best............................................the bible is a bunch of stories written by Jesus's friends disciples. The reality is they were porbably drunk Jesus was standing in a puddle the the disciple just fooked up when he was drunk and told the tale incorrectlysmile

TheOne101
....Um ok soleran Bi-polar much? Anyway, I think it's kinda funny that they guy gets hate mails just for pointing out facts of science etc. People are so stupid sometimes....or maybe more like most of the time...smile

debbiejo
This just seems silly.............

Shakyamunison
It is more likely that the walking on water miracle was added years later by members of the early church who could not distinguish between folklore and historical fact.

Punker69
Originally posted by Dreampanther
April 6, 2006 - Jesus walked on water, according to the Bible, but an expert says he may have actually walked on a hard-to-see patch of ice. Doron Nof, a Florida State University professor of oceanography, has sparked controversy by saying a rare combination of water and atmospheric conditions in the Sea of Galilee 2 000 years ago might offer a scientific explanation for one of the miracles recounted in the Bible.

Nof, an Israeli, said a patch of ice floating in the Sea of Galilee - which is actually a freshwater lake - would have been difficult to distinguish from liquid water surrounding it. "I'm not trying to provide any information that has to do with theology here," Nof said yesterday. "All we've thought is about the natural process. What theologians or anybody else does with that, it's their business, so to speak."

Reaction has been sharp. "I get hate e-mail on the average every three minutes," Nof said. Nof and co-researchers Ian McKeague of Columbia University and Nathan Paldor of Hebrew University of Jerusalem based the theory on records of water temperatures in the Mediterranean indicating two periods 2 500 to 1 500 years ago were chilly enough for ice patches to form during cold spells on the Sea of Galilee.

Discuss?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Black Rob

Discuss? i hope he has a good time...IN HELL!!!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Black Rob
i hope he has a good time...IN HELL!!!

Are you sending someone to hell? I think that is a sin.

Black Rob
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Are you sending someone to hell? I think that is a sin. No its not

Shakyamunison
No its not

You are judging, and that is not allowed.

Black Rob
You are judging, and that is not allowed. Sure it is

RaeRox

Discuss?

Doesnt the story also go along with people in a boat? Fishing? I mean...wouldnt ice prevent that???

Shakyamunison
Sure it is

So, are you doing god's job?

soleran30
Originally posted by RaeRox
Doesnt the story also go along with people in a boat? Fishing? I mean...wouldnt ice prevent that???

They were Ice Fishing of course! Its fairly typical in the middle east.

RaeRox
Originally posted by soleran30
They were Ice Fishing of course! Its fairly typical in the middle east.

In a boat? Uh....nuh? big grin

Black Rob
So, are you doing god's job? yeah he told me to

Shakyamunison
yeah he told me to

Could you get me that raise I asked for?

Black Rob
Could you get me that raise I asked for? I asked him he said "He'll help you if you help yourself"

Gregory
So is Black Rob a genuine idiot, or just an annoying troll? The public wants to know!

Regarding the original article, I don't know whe he bothered. The Bible is, for the most part, fictional. You don't need to explain how Jesus walked on water, any more than you have to explain how Gandalf did his magic. Because neither of these things happened.

Black Rob
Originally posted by Gregory
So is Black Rob a genuine idiot, or just an annoying troll? The public wants to know!

Are you a genuine ass,or just an annoying douchebag? The public wants to know!

debbiejo
yeah he told me to No god didn't.......Where's that scripture? God doesn't tell people to send other people to an imaginary place.....

Gregory
Are you a genuine ass,or just an annoying douchebag? The public wants to know!

Decisions, decisions ... but I asked first, dear.

Black Rob
Decisions, decisions ... but I asked first, dear. little bit of both

Black Rob
Originally posted by debbiejo
No god didn't.......Where's that scripture? God doesn't tell people to send other people to an imaginary place..... yes he does

debbiejo
yes he does Nah ah....
Prove it....Where does it say that? I'm sure you must know the scripture for it.

Gregory
... you're a little bit of a genuine idiot, and a little bit of a troll? Well, faced with such honesty, I can but admit that I'm more of an ass than a douchebag, but only sometimes.

Boris
loljesusfaker

Omegaman
That is just crazy and a really terrible try at an explanation for what Jesus did. Has the guy even seen the size of the "Sea of Galilee"?? Did he do ANY research to see if a body of water that size could actually freeze over?? There was also a storm going on at the same time, wouldnt the waves totally break of the ice? Have you ever tried to stand and balance on a small floating piece of ice... not too easy a task. Just another lame attempt at discrediting Jesus and his life/death.

Gregory
I'll say it again; nobody needs to discredit Jesus' miracles, because there's no credible evidence for them in the first place.

But yes, if you did want to discredit them, "He was standing on ice" might not be the way to go.

debbiejo
Who knows what Jesus did, if he was even what they say he was........there are metaphysical things that do happen like people walking on hot coals..........I can't say cause I wasn't there........Miracles do happen, but just not in the Christian faith.

Shakyamunison
I'll say it again; nobody needs to discredit Jesus' miracles, because there's no credible evidence for them in the first place.

But yes, if you did want to discredit them, "He was standing on ice" might not be the way to go.

And Buddha shot beams of light from his forehead. Every great person in the past has been given some special power. Like Gorge Washington never told a lie, most likely not the truth.

debbiejo
And George Washington was shot many many times through his clothes but the bullets never ever hit him............documented history ya know...how could a persons clothes be shot through and he not be shot.............??

Gregory
If he took them off first?

debbiejo
Not in the history books........and according to museums of those clothes. ...nope................

Tptmanno1
Much Simpler that all that.
Its all the Acid's fault.

debbiejo
huh?

Tptmanno1
I was talking about Jesus's Deciples doing Acid and writing it down as gospel.
But as for the George Washington thing, Clothes are loose ya know, and They wore alot of them back then, so plausable.

The Omega
Hm, well... Who knows???
Doron Nof is a scientist http://www.ocean.fsu.edu/faculty/nof/nof.html

I just want someone to prove to me that Jesus existed before I'll bother woth this smile

Darth Macabre
And Buddha shot beams of light from his forehead. Every great person in the past has been given some special power. Like Gorge Washington never told a lie, most likely not the truth.

And Rasputin healed the sick.

Anyways, I doubt that's true, but theres no reason for it in the least....Jesus din't walk on water in the first place.

Black Rob
Originally posted by debbiejo
Nah ah....
Prove it....Where does it say that? I'm sure you must know the scripture for it. its in Judas 3:15

debbiejo
its in Judas 3:15 Thought sooooooo.....Sorry I lost that copy.......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.