UPDATE: Sentry's powers may rival Phoenix's!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlaqChaos
In Marvel's own words:

"The Sentry's abilities derive from an experimental serum that creates a phase-shift in his molecules, causing each atom to step an instant ahead of the current time line. The serum induces a photosynthetic reaction, resulting in a hyper state of consciousness. The Sentry's powers are derived from a serum which causes his molecules to step an instant ahead of the current time line. Though most of his powers and their limits are still unknown, examples he has demonstrated so far are super-strength, super-speed, invulnerability, and flight. He can also project energy fields, control light, and has vast psychic and mental forces mainly used for holding his physical powers together, though it is not yet known whether the Sentry can use them the way Professor X and other psychics use theirs; the only psychic abilities he had displayed so far is implanting his memories inside Paul Jenkins' mind and calming the fury of the Hulk. It may be theorized that the Sentry also has the ability to produce hard-light constructs similar to those of Dazzler's when it was revealed that the Void is a just an expression of his repressed persona, and thus his creation. With the people dubbing The Sentry as the world's most powerful superhero, and with the serum causing a photosynthetic reaction to his body, completely altering his state of consciousness, it is nonetheless conceivable that Sentry's powers are limitless, and may even rival those of the Silver Surfer's and Phoenix's. He has very similar powers to Gladiator and Hyperion. In effect, the Sentry's powers are seemingly limitless."

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Sentry_%28Robert_Reynolds%29

Black Adam
waits for GS essay and smilies......... shifty

Mr. Valentine
number one baby big grin big grin big grin lol

Murda Mase
Sentry would pwn Phoenix.

Knightfall93
Phoenix still has human needs and died from one stab by Wolverine... which really sucks...

BlaqChaos
Originally posted by Black Adam
waits for GS essay and smilies......... shifty Now you know I'm just waiting for GS and Whirly to have at it. But hey, Marvel said it. lol

Thunderstrike
Definately puts his power above Superman though.

Knightfall93
Yeah, well Batman with prep isabove Sentry, Phoenix AND Superman... hell, he's above the Beyonder. So can people explain Sentry to me?

Black Adam
Originally posted by BlaqChaos
Now you know I'm just waiting for GS and Whirly to have at it. But hey, Marvel said it. lol

Whirly was banned......

GalacticStorm

Thunderstrike
So, which herald though? I'm leaning more toward Silver Surfer.

Knightfall93
Sir Whirlysplat was banned? WHY!?

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Thunderstrike
So, which herald though? I'm leaning more toward Silver Surfer.

The articles placing him around herald level. Given his performance against Terrax id say hes slight above Surfer. He'd give Thanos a really good fight.

Thunderstrike
What about Thor though? Thor and Beta Ray are about the same level. You think they'll clash during Civil War? I know Bill would be against the act, if Millar hasn't forgotten that he's in the U.S.

BlaqChaos
Wow, that didn't take long for a response.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Thunderstrike
What about Thor though? Thor and Beta Ray are about the same level. You think they'll clash during Civil War? I know Bill would be against the act, if Millar hasn't forgotten that he's in the U.S.

From what we've seen so far id say hes more powerful than Classic Thor. But yeah hes around that Thor/Surfer level just above by appearances.

It would be good to see more of Beta Ray. His mini was really good.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by BlaqChaos
Wow, that didn't take long for a response.

I try not to disappoint. big grin

DigiMark007
In grouping Surfer and Pheonix into the same general category in the opening post, that person shows they don't know much about the pheonix (the person writing it, not BlaqChaos). Mere speculation....which is really all we have of Sentry anyway.

leonidas
i thought this guy was rumored to be at galactus level or something? ss level?? that's not bad -- top tier hero level -- but no where remotely close to galactus.

and i think gs summed that article up pretty well -- if they mentioned ss and phoenix as relative equals, they clearly aren't talking about the pf in one of its more powerful incarnations.

BlaqChaos
Hey, that's how Marvel ALWAYS does these bios. Like they're intentionally being vague about the characters power levels. You should read the updated one on Spider-man since his rebirth.

Knightfall93
What is Sentry's origin? I know NOTHING about him...

Thunderstrike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentry_%28comics%29#Robert_Reynolds

BlaqChaos
Or better yet, go direct to the source.

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Sentry_%28Robert_Reynolds%29

Empowered by the enigmatic Professor's secret formula, high school student Robert Reynolds became a superhuman. After trouncing the school bully who had tormented him, Reynolds sewed together a costume and made his debut as the heroic Sentry. One of very few super heroes active during the years just prior to the Fantastic Four's emergence, Sentry gained new importance when the new wave of heroes rose to prominence. Almost instantly deducing Spider-Man's secret identity, Sentry became a role model for the young hero, as well as an ally to the X-Men, an equal to Reed Richards and a friend to the outcast Hulk. The Sentry even battled Dr. Doom alongside the Fantastic Four and defeated his greatest enemy, the General, with the X-Men's aid.

During this period, the Sentry married the love of his life, Lindy, and took the young Scout as his sidekick; but the arrival of the Void, a shadowy monster that exploited its enemy's greatest fears, ended the Sentry's charmed life. The Void nearly killed Scout, drove Hulk into a rampage, and murdered over one million people in Manhattan. Discovering that the Void had been the dark aspect of his own powers, the Sentry teamed with Reed Richards and Dr. Strange to create a system which made Earth's entire population, themselves included, forget all about the Sentry. With the Sentry inactive and forgotten, the Void vanished.
Years later, Robert's memories slowly returned along with the Void, who rampaged across Europe, murdering many members of the Super-Heroes of Europe (SHE). The Sentry contacted his former colleagues, but the only one who recalled their shared history was the Hulk. As the Void returned to Manhattan, the pieces began to fall in place and the Sentry's former friends assembled to defend him and the city. Remembering the dual nature of Robert's powers, Sentry and Reed Richards reactivated the Watchtower, dispelling the Void and making the world forget the Sentry once again; however, Robert's memories of the Sentry soon returned, and he demanded to be placed on the Raft, S.H.I.E.L.D.' high-security prison for super-villains, claiming that he had killed his wife. During a mass breakout at the Raft, Sentry helped several other heroes subdue many of the escaping villains - notably Carnage, whom Sentry ripped in half. Inspired by this adventure, the other heroes soon formed the new Avengers, but Sentry vanished before they could invite him to join them. The Sentry stayed in hiding, but remained a person of great interest to S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers, who were both fascinated by his powers and worried that they may lead to another Scarlet Witch situation.

Eventually, S.H.I.E.L.D. and the New Avengers confronted the Sentry with several disturbing facts: The wife he claimed to have killed was alive, and the only reference in the world that could be found of the Sentry was in comic books, stories invented and written down by the imagination of a man. Unable to face these shocking events, the Sentry fled. Resurfacing as Robert Reynolds at his home, the Sentry was again confronted by the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D., along with the Inhumans and the X-Men. He cried, saying that he had warned them of the Void's coming and that it was now too late. The group was suddenly attacked by the Void. Robert, along with the help of Emma Frost, discovered that the reason no one remembered him was not because of his own attempts to erase the Void, but because of the intervention and manipulation of his mind. Mastermind, hired by the General, had used the great mental powers the Sentry needed to contain his abilities to force everyone (himself included) to forget of the Sentry's existence. Should the Sentry ever remember his life, then he would be struck by a fear of the devil attacking the world, hence the Void. With this new found knowledge, the Void disappeared, and Emma Frost resurrected the Sentry. The New Avengers offered him membership, partly to keep an eye on him and partly because they would need his power, which he accepted.

Knightfall93
Weirdd... but cool!

Murda Mase
Hell Yeah!!

Sentry's mad cool.

There needs to be a Sentry respect thread in here.

Thunderstrike
Not many feats yet. Just wait til after Civil War. We'll have some then.

Validus
Originally posted by Murda Mase
Hell Yeah!!

Sentry's mad cool.

There needs to be a Sentry respect thread in here.
Yeah, 5 whole scans.

Mindship
Interesting, though, that Marvel did say Phoenix and Silver Surfer, not Phoenix and Thor ... shifty

Thunderstrike
Maybe Thor will return as the Rune King. I want him and Beta Ray Bill to kick some ass in Marvel when Thor gets back. I expect Bill to fight Sentry in Civil War, then Thor return with the line "Fear not, Beta Ray Bill! Thy plight has caught the eye of THOR! Son of Odin!"

TheKahn
Originally posted by Mindship
Interesting, though, that Marvel did say Phoenix and Silver Surfer, not Phoenix and Thor ... shifty

evil face

leonidas
Originally posted by Mindship

that's most likely because thor is dead . . .

stick out tongue

Thunderstrike
Originally posted by leonidas
that's most likely because thor is dead . . .

stick out tongue

Nobody ever dies in Marvel, unless your name is Mar-Vell
stick out tongue

Accel
Originally posted by Black Adam
Whirly was banned......
Damn, what is with everyone getting banned lately? There was Yahman, Knightfall (I think for a while), Marcus, and now Whirly?

Laminator_X
Sentry on SS level is an understatement. On his best day, the Surfer never brushed aside Terrax like that.

Knightfall93
Originally posted by Accel
Damn, what is with everyone getting banned lately? There was Yahman, Knightfall (I think for a while), Marcus, and now Whirly? I wasn't banned, I was... I was... ON SABATTICAL!

Adam Warlock
Originally posted by Laminator_X
Sentry on SS level is an understatement. On his best day, the Surfer never brushed aside Terrax like that.

Exactly.

Sentry > Surfer

Knightfall93
Sentry must be really scarily powerful/.... though he's an utter loon...

Mr. Valentine
nah not really, i kind of think of him as that guy from fight club....

Knightfall93
What guy?

Mr. Valentine
..... no expression
the main character genius stick out tongue

Knightfall93
Umm.... never played fight Club!

Mr. Valentine
What the f**k? ......its a movie... no expression

Knightfall93
Oh... never SEEN Fight Club...

Arahan
There is also a Game of Fight Club.

The movie is cool, main roles played by Brad Pitt and Edward Norton.

Knightfall93
I KNEW it... whats it about?

Arahan

Knightfall93
Ohhhhh kaaayyyy...

Mr. Valentine
Oh didnt play the game, the movie was kinda confusing but good i geuss

Swanky-Tuna
So are Void and/or Sentry a hardlight construct maintained subconciously, or something like that?

You'd know what'd be funny? If Sentry and Void are psionic manifestations of Rob's mind who is in turn a manifestion of someone else's mind.

Knightfall93
Errrr... yeah? And has anyone noticed how the Oompa Loompa dude in Cahrlie and the Chocolate Factory is the only human EVER to be able to lok bad ass in spandex?

Mindship
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
You'd know what'd be funny? If Sentry and Void are psionic manifestations of Rob's mind who is in turn a manifestion of someone else's mind.

Forbush Man's

Mr. Valentine
he aint human, hes a dwarf...theres a difference stick out tongue

Knightfall93
LMAO... the film was BS though!

SnakeEyes
Anyone read The Sentry issue 7?

It was pretty good; it left me begging for the last one (issue 8).

Validus
Originally posted by Laminator_X
He has not but could he? Easily I think, especially if Terrax fights like he did against Sentry. Lets face it, all the other heralds are jokes compared to Norrin. Just look at Annihilation: SS #1. He waved his hand and casually created a black hole. Better yet, look at the Captain Universe issue where he dispatched Krosakis who had his own power plus Gladiator's power plus the Uni-power. Power feats that none of the other heralds, especially Terrax, could come close to matching. Put all the other heralds together on a team, not including Stardust, match them against Norrin, and I'd bet on Surfer taking the solid majority (7 or 8/10).

thesilverspider
Originally posted by Validus
He has not but could he? Easily I think, especially if Terrax fights like he did against Sentry. Lets face it, all the other heralds are jokes compared to Norrin. Just look at Annihilation: SS #1. He waved his hand and casually created a black hole. Better yet, look at the Captain Universe issue where he dispatched Krosakis who had his own power plus Gladiator's power plus the Uni-power. Power feats that none of the other heralds, especially Terrax, could come close to matching. Put all the other heralds together on a team, not including Stardust, match them against Norrin, and I'd bet on Surfer taking the solid majority (7 or 8/10).
thumb up

Disappear
GS, as much as i'd like to avoid argument, i find your reasoning to be somewhat hypocritical. you can't criticize the vagueness of the description, then imply definition to your liking. just as you match the written "phoenix" to be at her typical operating levels, so can the sentry's abilities be compared; expressed as opposed to possible. as written, his power could very well rival the phoenix in all aspects, many of which have yet to be seen. and, if the confrontation were to come about, or a display of power were to be seen that coincides with their statement, it would be completely within their stated limits to say so. the word of the marvel bullpen is hardly yours to define or limit. no offense intended.

also, saying "sentry's power may rival that of phoenix or silver surfer" is comparable to saying "colossus' organic steel body may rival adamantium or osmium." while it doesn't explicitly state that they are of the same level of toughness, hardness, whatever, it also does not imply that adamantium and titanium are meant to be judged as equals.

Knightfall93
When did we start discussing titanium?

Thunderstrike
doh

Knightfall93
LMAO... this is SOOOOO off topic!

Disappear
it's an analogy. "sentry's power" is to "may rival the phoenix or silver surfer" as "colossus' organic steel" is to "may rival adamantium or osmium/titanium." writing titanium was a mistake on my part, but the analogy works fine with both.

Knightfall93
I know...

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Disappear
GS, as much as i'd like to avoid argument, i find your reasoning to be somewhat hypocritical. you can't criticize the vagueness of the description, then imply definition to your liking.

I pointed out that the description was vague, i then went on to present my interpretation whilst giving reasons for said interpretation (i.e alternative bullepens and interviews). There is nothing wrong with doing that and that is far better practice than basing an argument solely on one vague bullpen as the creator of this thread and subsequent posters chose to do.

On top of that i stated that if anyone wished to hear further details pertaining to my interpretation then they need only PM me. In which case i would have sent them links to the appropriate sites which contain said interviews (something youre not allowed to do in threads)

just as you match the written "phoenix" to be at her typical operating levels, so can the sentry's abilities be compared; expressed as opposed to possible.

Nonsensical.

as written, his power could very well rival the phoenix in all aspects, many of which have yet to be seen. and, if the confrontation were to come about, or a display of power were to be seen that coincides with their statement, it would be completely within their stated limits to say so. the word of the marvel bullpen is hardly yours to define or limit. no offense intended.

There is no basis for assuming at this stage that the Phoenix they were referring to was a full powered Phoenix as opposed to a Phoenix at standard operating levels. Given Sentrys showings on panel, his bio entry, the previous bullpens and interviews which both referred to Phoenixes standard operating level and likened her to the Silver Surfer and given that in this bullpen the Phoenix is again placed on the same level as Silver Surfer and then the Sentry is in turn placed on par with this level, it stands to reason that my previous comments are very much the case.

Unless that is youre going to tell me that Silver Surfer has suddenly received an exponential increase in power and status? confused

also, saying "sentry's power may rival that of phoenix or silver surfer" is comparable to saying "colossus' organic steel body may rival adamantium or osmium." while it doesn't explicitly state that they are of the same level of toughness, hardness, whatever, it also does not imply that adamantium and titanium are meant to be judged as equals.

Not good enough Dis. Silver Surfer and Phoenix are placed on the same level, the same status in this bullpen. Sentry is then likened to them in terms of power. It doesnt say SS OR Phoenix in which case your analogy might hold true, it says AND Phoenix, they are equated to each other, placed on the same level power wise. Youre stretching.

GalacticStorm
it's an analogy. "sentry's power" is to "may rival the phoenix or silver surfer" as "colossus' organic steel" is to "may rival adamantium or osmium/titanium." writing titanium was a mistake on my part, but the analogy works fine with both.

Incorrect. The bullpen said AND Phoenix. SS and Phoenix are equated. Unless SS has received a power boost then it seems my interpretation of the bullpen (one which was formed with previous interviews in mind) is indeed correct. Youre stretching with your analogy.

GalacticStorm
Sentry is in the same ballpark as the heralds according to that bullpen. His feats and appearances seem to place him on par with Surfer on top form.

Disappear
nonsensical, or simply sensical beyond your speculation? we've seen the sentry's powers for hardly a breath of time within the comic world. we do not know the scope of them. it is highly possible, and somewhat confirmed by this description, that his powers extend far beyond the realm we've been exposed to. so, while you'll contend that the "operating standard" for the phoenix is merely a fraction of a fraction of her/its true power, and you'd be right, you cannot factually contend that the same does not hold true for the sentry.

the blurb on his powers in no way set a limitation on the uppermost definition or summation of the sentry's powers. listing a comparison to some of the most notable overly-powered characters, whether using "or" or "and," is nothing more than a reference point for the less familiar reader. the grammar of it does not change, and does not definitively create a relationship between phoenix and silver surfer. it is merely establishing the level they wish to portray, without showing real merit for their description. arguing grammar is really a low point, particularly when it doesn't mean diddly.

while i fully agree sentry isn't shit next to the true power of the phoenix, i also see where marvel has left room for that to change. i have no veil over my eyes protecting one character from such speculation, nor do i particularly care for either as i've done shit to follow their careers thus far. i'm just chipping in to point out that your voice is not the sole voice of reason, nor does it give definition to the undefined. yours is fan interpretation, as is mine, and neither of us are establishing continuity by putting point to counterpoint on an internet forum.

GalacticStorm
nonsensical, or simply sensical beyond your speculation? we've seen the sentry's powers for hardly a breath of time within the comic world. we do not know the scope of them. it is highly possible, and somewhat confirmed by this description, that his powers extend far beyond the realm we've been exposed to. so, while you'll contend that the "operating standard" for the phoenix is merely a fraction of a fraction of her/its true power, and you'd be right, you cannot factually contend that the same does not hold true for the sentry.

the blurb on his powers in no way set a limitation on the uppermost definition or summation of the sentry's powers. listing a comparison to some of the most notable overly-powered characters, whether using "or" or "and," is nothing more than a reference point for the less familiar reader. the grammar of it does not change, and does not definitively create a relationship between phoenix and silver surfer. it is merely establishing the level they wish to portray, without showing real merit for their description. arguing grammar is really a low point, particularly when it doesn't mean diddly.

Sentry doesnt have an established powered down status, the bullpen doesnt state that Sentry is at least as powerful as the likes of Surfer, it says he possibly rivals the likes of Surfer and Phoenix, you are speculating. We can only go by what was stated and so far that is that Sentry has so not done anything conclusively on the level of said characters but what he has done suggests he could rival them.

Silver Surfer and Phoenix are paired together in the bullpen, they are equated to each other. That fits in perfectly with Chris Claremonts reasons for creating the character i.e "to be a female analogue for Silver Surfer", in interviews by CC and John Byrne (which i have links to) it is stated that Phoenix (Jean Grey) in general is Surfer level. In comics of the time she was portrayed as Surfer level during Earth operations. (For example in the Korvac What if it was Phoenix and Silver Surfer who were banished together because of their level of power) Unless Silver Surfer is suddenly a major cosmic force of Marvel then it would appear that this is the Phoenix the bullpen is referencing. That stands to reason. The grammar of the article in no way supports your weak analogy. It doesnt say Silvere Surfer or Phoenix (which makes a distinction between levels) it says and Phoenix. They are equated.

while i fully agree sentry isn't shit next to the true power of the phoenix, i also see where marvel has left room for that to change. i have no veil over my eyes protecting one character from such speculation, nor do i particularly care for either as i've done shit to follow their careers thus far. i'm just chipping in to point out that your voice is not the sole voice of reason, nor does it give definition to the undefined. yours is fan interpretation, as is mine, and neither of us are establishing continuity by putting point to counterpoint on an internet forum.

At the end of the day, there is precedence for Marvel equating SS to Phoenix. It has been done in previous bullepens, interviews and in comics. With all in mind i have presented my well supported interpretation and told others why theres is far less likely to be the case given that theres is based on a sole article with no other sources to draw support from. I dont claim my voice to be the sole voice but if i see a poorly supported argument or point trying to be presented as fact , then i will sure as hell open my mouth and tell whoever spouts it exactly what i think of it, whilst drawing on a variety of sources to make me look good in the process as i am completely at liberty to do. eek!

It is undefined in your eyes but as far as im concerned, the precedence for a Silver Surfer/Phoenix level and the fact that its stated that he may possibly rival this level gives us a general benchmark. As previously stated herald level. wink

If that is contradicted in subsequent appearances as per your speculation, then thats cool, but as it stands the aforementioned precedence, Sentrys appearances and bios all speak in favour of my interpretation. Not fact, but by all appearances alot more likely than not. big grin

Next Venom_girl
Phoenix should totally burn away that lame superman ripoff.

joesha28
Well i really wanna take too much of Sentry. U see each issue just throw off my concept of the sentry. Just wait for the last issue this month and see who is the sentry. I don't even know if Sentry defeating Terrax was even true.

Knightfall93
I'm confused... to say the least...

joesha28
We all are! But we have to read the last issue...to find things out. But it was a great run.

Knightfall93
So Thor is a figment of the imagination of a guy who's a figment of the imagination of a guy who's a figment of the imagination of a guy who's the figment of the imagination of a Marvel writer who's a figment of the imaginaion of Brian Michael Benid who in turn is a figment of the imagination of God who is in turn a figment of the imagination of the 1 Lord chuck Norris who are all figments of the imagination of me? Yeah?

Disappear
the "a lot more likely than not" is all i was looking for. the potential is there, hidden in wordplay and other unknowns and it deserves at least a small amount of recognition.

i know and respect your way-too-involved wealth of phoenix-related knowledge, and we both know it's not in my realm to question that. i also understand the precedence as you've explained it, as well as how it was presented somewhat less definitively. but neither truly rules out the possibility, as precedences are not laws and comic history is nothing if not malleable. and, as neither you or i are in position to state fact from these scant few paragraphs, something we both admit, then the unlikely should rightfully be presented alongside the likely. implausible yet possible. since we appear to be on the same page, and i don't really give a nut about the sentry, this'll be the last i bring it up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.