3D Star Wars...why???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EPIIIBITES
Will anyone go see this?

Filmakers of the future take notice...this is the modern day equivalent of colorizing Casablanca.

"Juicing" up a non-3D movie by just slapping 3D effects on it is just TACKY! The Star Wars movies are not 3D films!!! What's the point?

Chalk one up for not seeing this one.

Scarecrow756
I might go see when they come out in 3D.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Will anyone go see this?

Filmakers of the future take notice...this is the modern day equivalent of colorizing Casablanca.

"Juicing" up a non-3D movie by just slapping 3D effects on it is just TACKY! The Star Wars movies are not 3D films!!! What's the point?

Chalk one up for not seeing this one.

Money.

LanceWindu
Umm...we have a Star Wars forum. confused

Anyways, it's all about making money until they can release the TV show and get advertisers to pay for things.

I'll go see them because I am a Star Wars whore, but I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

Solo
Old news, it was announced literally longer then a year ago. Lucas plans to be releasing this one in 2007 for the 30th anniversary of ANH.

forumcrew
yep and i will go see it just for another shot at seeing them on the big screen

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by LanceWindu

Yep. I know there's a Star Wars forum...but I wanted an opinion from a movie discussion forum and not from Star Wars forum regulars.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Solo
Old news, it was announced literally longer then a year ago.

Yeah I know it's old news. But I'm now seeing more of a trend of regular films getting 3D'd (cause the technology is peaking) and I think it's just JUNK.

As a budding filmaker and fan of the genre, I'm making my opinion heard.

DeVi| D0do
I think it could potentially be spectacular! The first shot of A New Hope alone in 3D would be worth the admission fee...

*drools*

Of course, this kind of thing does have the tendancy to suck. A lot. But it's worth a try... Who's it harming other than Lucas's wallet?

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by LanceWindu

Anyways, it's all about making money until they can release the TV show and get advertisers to pay for things.

I'll go see them because I am a Star Wars whore, but I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

There's going to be a tv show? WTF?

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Who's it harming other than Lucas's wallet?

Art!

It's what's lame about Turner b/w classics getting colorized, or about all these movies getting 3D'd that aren't 3D films to begin with...leave them alone.

3D films are initially made a certain way where ideas are put into the film that will purposely look cool as 3D, or the forground/background are considered, etc...the 3D element makes up the film! Same goes for b/w films and the way they were originally concieved...they weren't made for colour!

It's like adding solar flares to paintings or something cheesy like that.

These hollywood jokers have lost all intergrity in their art...did anyone see how stupid the digital E.T. looked?...wow.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
There's going to be a tv show? WTF?

thats also very old news. They are making a tv show it will be live action, but it will not have any of the main characters from the films in it. THey are also going to keep going with the cartoon series clone wars they made before #3

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Art!

It's what's lame about Turner b/w classics getting colorized, or about all these movies getting 3D'd that aren't 3D films to begin with...leave them alone.

3D films are initially made a certain way where ideas are put into the film that will purposely look cool as 3D, or the forground/background are considered, etc...the 3D element makes up the film! Same goes for b/w films and the way they were originally concieved...they weren't made for colour!

It's like adding solar flares to paintings or something cheesy like that.

These hollywood jokers have lost all intergrity in their art...did anyone see how stupid the digital E.T. looked?...wow.
But it's not like Lucas is just going to throw away the 2D prints of the films after the 3D ones are released... You're starting to sound like a deranged fanboy who's planning a raid on Skywalker Ranch because Lucas has raped your childhood...

And as far as artistic integrity goes in the Star Wars films, Lucas pretty much destroyed all that with the special editions anyway...

EPIIIBITES
...and it's not like Casablanca isn't still available in b/w...but the fact that a colorized Casablanca saw the light of day, and that people experinced it that way is borderline offensive to me.

I'm sitcking up for art, for art's sake...it's got nothing to do with just Star Wars (it's happening w/Superman Returns as well for example)...but it's got everything to do with artists (or film execs) who can't find anything better to do than spend time and money polishing up something that's fine as it is.

Doing something like releasing a Director's Cut of Blade Runner because the studio was being an ass when it initially came out...totally fine.

Slapping 70mm films on IMAX screens just so it's BIGGER, and chopping up the ends/cutting down the time...totally pointless and lame.

Sorry dude, I'm more or less an art purist, and I think that stuff's junk...SO Hollywood.

DeVi| D0do
Well then I guess there's not much point in me arguing with you, it seems you have your mind set...

Though, I will say this one last thing, which is not so much a rebuttal, but just a pondering: In response to your comment regarding the ineptitude of fixing something that's 'fine as it is'... Lucas's student film Electronic Labyrinth THX 1138 4EB was fine as it was. But his larger-budget remake THX 1138 was a lot better, and very worthwhile.

EPIIIBITES
Don't really see your point...one was a student film (that was fine as it was), the other is a feature film production based on a student film. These are two different works.

I'm talking about taking a single work (like Superman Returns) and throwing all this crap like IMAX and 3D on it to make it more attractive. It's the SAME work with a bunch of gloss.

That's what I've been talking about...polish. Can't quite get the comparison.

DeVi| D0do
I don't think the aim is to make the films 'more attractive' but to give the viewer a chance to experience the films in a different way... Well, that, and to make a big bunch of cash too.

I can totally see where you're coming from... It bugs the crap outta me when people insist on watching widescreen films in fullscreen. Unless that's the way the film was made, it was not intended to be seen like that, and artistically the viewer is being severely deprived.

But this isn't like that... it's not just a case of slapping a new dimension on these films... This is something that is being done by Lucas himself (that's not to say that he is the wisest when it comes to filmmaking decisions, though), and I remember reading that several other directors (James Cameron and Peter Jackson spring to mind) may be jumping on the bandwagon after seeing tests of the new technology that's being used to three-dimensionalise the films.

I just think you're being a little to quick to dismiss this move as a gimmick... Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

EPIIIBITES
Yeah...a bunch of them are involved in it, w/ Rodriquez and Cameron spearheading the movement.

I think what those two do with making 3D films is great...and I think Cameron's Battle Angel Alita is going to be the coolest thing I've seen in my life...

I just hate, as you said, most gimmicks in art...I know Lucas isn't proposing that these are the definitive editions, or that they'll be the BEST looking of the bunch...I just think it's a cheesy experiment (and one that's being presented to the public as a flashy, cool new product), that should be laid to rest before others start doing it.

btw...doesn't he get sick of looking at those SAME films over and over again??? You gotta wonder.

Wolfie
George Lucas: CHA-CHING!

Evil Dead
my opinion depends on the type of 3-D....Is it going to be that cheesy classic 3-d where it looks like a sword is pointing out toward the audience or are they doing the digital 3-d, merely seperating layers to give a 3-d perspective.......where it looks like you can actually see the distance between R2 and C3P0 and the jawas in the distance......

FistOfThe North
Old news but I'm all for a 3D SW experience. Hell why not.

I even heard something about Lucas and Spielberg collaborating on it.

Game over.

It'll be a new type of 3D, perhaps. Maybe they'll come up with 4D In Hi Def in holographic detail maybe, Who knows with those 2.

Either way, I know it be sweet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.