padme amidala's name

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darth_shady
guys this is just a thought but the other day i suddenly realized that the name "padme amidala" has strong buddhist undertones.It might just be ridiculous or probably lucas intended to make her a symbol of peace and serenity.The word 'padme' could be a modification of the hindu word 'padma' meaning 'lotus' a word often used in connection with lord buddha..to describe his eyes,feet...he is often pictured sitting on a lotus.As for 'amidala' Lord Buddha has various forms...the 'buddha amida being one of them...japanese buddhism centres around 'buddha amida'.

Council#13
Intresting theory. Very intresting... Lucas does incorperate things from real life into his movies and stuff. cant remember what, but it's like what you said

Alliance
The force is a mayan concept (but also is a generally religions concept) Thats why Lucas used the Mayan ruins at Tikal for the Rebel base on Yavin IV. The mayans also had "star wars" (Mayan wars fought based on astrological timing) which can be another link.

SpyCspider
Lucas took stuff from all cultures, but I see where you're drawing the connection to Buddhism

chinabing
Yet another is Qui-Gon, an adaptation of quigong, (energy skill), a self-healing art that combines movement and meditation.

Then my favorite sw name, elan sleezebaganno, the deathstick dude.

Tangible God
SW, movies and EU alike are chalk full of subtle and not-so-subtle references to real life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.