Tolkien a nazi? What the ****?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vanice
There's a guy in my class saying that Tolkien was a nazi. He's saying things like, he's comparing Saruman with Hitler, and the Dwarves wiht jues. Well this guy is nuts, he's saying that the lion king is a nazi movie too. Well He has no proof what so ever about Tolkien being a nazi. And I don't think so cause Tolkien actually served england during the first world war, writing THE LORD OF THE RINGS. So atlesat he didn't like germans. Now I need your help to PAWN this guy.

Knightfall93
Umm... Tolkien wasnt a Nazi. He fought in WWI and later he was a devout Catholic and (i think) pacifist. Why is LOTR nazi? That's like saying JKR's a Nazi or Ursula le Guin's a Nazi because they have books bout fantasy wars etc. too!

DanielLB
Yeah, the person you know is an idiot! lol!

Has even read the books?

Darkman87
It is the lamest idea I have ever heard. He is British how could possibly like Nazis???

Knightfall93
He's as British as rainy days and bacon sarnies!

DanielLB
Originally posted by Knightfall93
He's as British as rainy days and bacon sarnies!

laughing

Mr. Bacon
hmmm, learn to spell and please give me the last 10 seconds of my life back for reading that shit

DanielLB
That was abit un-called for dont you think?

Knightfall93
Why did he even read it? You know... that was trolling. Though can I settle this with 1 sentence:
If Tolkien was a Nazi, George Bush is a true American hero.

DanielLB
Originally posted by Knightfall93
Why did he even read it? You know... that was trolling. Though can I settle this with 1 sentence:
If Tolkien was a Nazi, George Bush is a true American hero.

laughing Totally right! laughing

Knightfall93
Then again, I'm a Brit so for all I know he COULD be a true American hero...

DanielLB
Im a Brit too...but come.....he really isnt!

*waits for someone to disagree with me*messed

Blaxican_Hydra
Originally posted by DanielLB
Im a Brit too...but come.....he really isnt!

*waits for someone to disagree with me*messed

Thats BS!!! G.Bush IS a Ameeicna Hero!! You just don't know what it's like living the i nthe good ol USA!! USA USA USA!!! mad mad mad

Joking stick out tongue

rohanspear543
Everyone knows there is only one REAL AMERICAN HERO! G. I. JOE!

Blaxican_Hydra
...COBRA!!!!

Scarecrow756
He said he did not want people to misinterpret his books as allegory. And no he did not base his chracters of Hitler.

Blaxican_Hydra
WHich character?

Knightfall93
If you want a true American hero, look no further than the main man... Chuck Noris!

Blaxican_Hydra
Jim Kelly...is better than Chuck Norris. Much better...

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by DanielLB
Yeah, the person you know is an idiot!

DanielLB
Oh come on! Sesame Street is American......and we alllll know that Elmo beats Kelly and Norris hahahabig grin

WrathfulDwarf
Don't say his name out loud....Norris will roundhouse kick us. wink

Scarecrow756
Originally posted by Blaxican_Hydra
WHich character?

One character like Saruron, Tolkien did not want people to think that his inspiration for him came from things like the rise of Hitler.

Syndicate_Lord
wwhy not?

Revolver Ocelot
Tolkien did incorporate racially discriminant elements in his works (Fair, tall, "white" Elves and Men being good; Southron "black, Easterling "asian", and Orcish "mongolian" being evil) but calling him Nazi is going overboard.

Yep. He originally planned for Orcs to resemble Mongols.

Draugwen
It's going way overboard indeed. And I think Tolkien often said he didn't want the Lord of the Rings to be interpreted in any way; surely especially not like that.

Oh, and you don't have to be British to dislike Nazis stick out tongue

Bar-en-Danwedh
Originally posted by vanice
There's a guy in my class saying that Tolkien was a nazi. He's saying things like, he's comparing Saruman with Hitler, and the Dwarves wiht jues. Well this guy is nuts, he's saying that the lion king is a nazi movie too. Well He has no proof what so ever about Tolkien being a nazi. And I don't think so cause Tolkien actually served england during the first world war, writing THE LORD OF THE RINGS. So atlesat he didn't like germans. Now I need your help to PAWN this guy.

tell him he's an idiot...

if saruman is hitler and the dwarves jews, why doesn't saruman try to wipe out the dwarves?

and even if saruman was in any way intended a parallel to hitler, how does it make tolkien a nazi if the character was vilified in the story?

this person ios talking through thier ass, and you should co-ordinate a savage roten egging upon him so that he learns not to open his stupid wannabepolitical mouth...

i'm all for overanalyzing but that's just plain dumb.

i'm sick of all these nazi-theorists who just love the idea that everyone is hitler... i'm really just over it, all it does is make actual nazi's look smarter and credible by default.

tell you school chump that he should refrain from talking in future...

DanielLB
Originally posted by Bar-en-Danwedh

tell you school chump that he should refrain from talking in future...

Your hilarous! I love it!

vanice
Originally posted by Bar-en-Danwedh

i'm sick of all these nazi-theorists who just love the idea that everyone is hitler... i'm really just over it, all it does is make actual nazi's look smarter and credible by default.

I sure know what you're talking about..... stick out tongue

Aurora
I had to laugh when I read that!

Tolkien was always afraid that his works would be interpreted as something more than they were. He created good and evil in his books, they fought, good won, most of the time.

He fought in WW1 so it a big possiblity that he was inspired to wright war because he had experienced war. But he said on MANY occations and in letters that his books were NOT a retelling of any real life event and that they were ment to be a fictional story not a history book.

I think the reason that ppl want to draw comparisons is because the detail into which Tokien wrote, it seems impossible that any one man could come up w/ the storyline on his own w/o retelling real history. But he did, the man was a genius, and he knew that ppl would never truely understand his picture and always try and bring it down to their level.

And that is what this is. Bringing a GENIUS work of art down to a level beneath it.

Belegūr
Originally posted by vanice

Your friend is....well, I'll just say he is "very special."

As others have here said, Tolkien was a devout Catholic for the majority of his life. He fought in the First World War, and his son Christopher later flew with the RAF during the Six Years' War.

People have often raised the question of whether Saruman or Sauron are supposed to represent Hitler and his Nazi-regime, but the truth is that a great part of the books were already written before the War began, and so little comparison can be made between the two, (especially since Tolkien despised allegory).

maham
well, he was a pretty grumpy man (atleast thats wat my friend 'Zoe' said.she knos alot abt him n she's read the books n all) but that doesn't make him a nazi!

azszhz
Well it would be pointless to state something that everyone else has already said so I'll just say this....

If Tolkien is a nazi then I'm jesus.... and i dont ever remember dieing for peoples sins so....

also Animal from the Muppit Show is far cooler then Elmo, Kelly and Norris.... smile

Fėanor
Originally posted by azszhz
Well it would be pointless to state something that everyone else has already said so I'll just say this....

If Tolkien is a nazi then I'm jesus.... and i dont ever remember dieing for peoples sins so....

also Animal from the Muppit Show is far cooler then Elmo, Kelly and Norris.... smile

praise the lord and halelluja(sp) oh wait...you said you weren't jesus??? confused WHY WAS I NOT TOLD OF THESE THINGS!!!!!!

shaber
Tolkien did refer to the 'lunatic laws' of Nazi Germany, but that was due to a publishing firms 'impertinent and irrelevant' inquiry as to his heritage.

azszhz

Fėanor
Originally posted by azszhz
Maybe I dont want people to know the truth... shifty because then you'd have people following you thus asking for this and that and without so much as a thank you or appreciation. they come, they go and you're left to wonder. "well that's a fine how do you do." that its, right? huh? am i?

vanice
What would you say about the men from harad, being black and all.. Cause that's the only thing in the book that I can think of as a bit racistic. Because they are the "evil men who serves sauron. I don't think tolkien had some kind of hidden racistic message but I want to prove he hadn't.

Aziz!
I hate those Jewish Hobbits.

roughrider
Tolkien has never gotten serious critcism ( and the movies got none) for potrayal of darker-skinned beings as servants of evil, like the Orcs or men of the south and far east. Because it goes both ways - Saruman is the White, after all. And because the heroic sides are a mixture of interracial: Men, Elves, Dwarves & Hobbits.

vanice

jedi sarah
thats stupid just because someone writes a book about something it doesn't mean he is that. he portrayed sauron as an evil doer i think hitler was pretty nasty

azszhz

FieryBalrog
People say the dumbest shit.

No, he wasn't Nazi or racist or whatever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.