lightsabers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darht dude
what lightsaber would you have?

i like them all sooooo if i could only pick one that would be darth sidious's
starwars

aj_vader
id have darth maul's, coz u can choose whether u use a single, double, or two lightsabers big grin

failing maul's it would have to be Anakin's in Ep III wink

darth vraya
Dooku's

((The_Anomaly))
Qui-Gon's
Obi-Wan's EPS. I and II saber
Darth Sidious's

Are my top 3

Tarvos
Been done, but I'd have any of these:

Mace Windu's RotS
Obi-Wan Kenobi's RotS
Count Dooku's (or any Old Republic hilt)

sithsaber408
Obi ROTS/Luke ROTJ.... just something about that one.
Mace AOTC
Dooku/qui-gon

((The_Anomaly))
I dont like Dooku's, annoying to use. And Mace's is purple, and thats just stupid. Although Maces hilt is pretty sweet, if the saber was blue I'd take it too.

I agree, Lukes ROTJ saber is pretty sweet (his and Obi-wans are almost identical, cept for the colours)

Tangible God
I'd take Mace's and Palpatine's. They're... pretty.

Tarvos
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I dont like Dooku's, annoying to use.

Actually, those kind of hilts are very good for dueling. I think the Old Republic used them because there were more Dark Jedi/Sith than blaster people, so you'd need to focus on dueling more.

DarkC
Two dual weild lightsabers. One green, one blue.

Darth Vious
I think I'll stick with my own, thanks smile
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DefenderoftheInnocent/06bf598a.jpg

Tarvos
Looks like Obi-Wan's TPM combined with Anakin Solo's.

Red Superfly
I have always liked Anakin's/Luke's blue lightsaber from ROTS/ANH/ESB the most.

It's the best design and has quite a story behind it.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by Tarvos
Looks like Obi-Wan's TPM combined with Anakin Solo's.
It was influenced by Obi-Wan's TPM saber (and the upper grip from his RotS saber) but the actual design was driven by the fact I was using up some spare materials (controll knobs where purchassed though), so the grip sections had to be the fixed sizes as they are.

Originally posted by Red Superfly
I have always liked Anakin's/Luke's blue lightsaber from ROTS/ANH/ESB the most.

It's the best design and has quite a story behind it.
That's my worst of all the sabers, because the design is so cluttered and pointless (because it was made from a flash unit) There's also the problem of the thickness of the lower grip because of the grip strips, the fact is it is just plain awkward to use, and gives an uneven feel. Anakin's AotC saber has a more practical design, and it's nice that the design is so similar to Vader's, it's as if following his whooping on Mustafar, he felt that the Graflex design wasn't working for him and went back to the previous design.

Tarvos
The grips probably didn't bother him considering he had a robotic hand; they'd only help him. And it's not so cluttered... There's just one little box sticking out which is easy to maneuver from.

Darth Vious
The lower grip of the Graflex saber is the uncomfortable one, because it is so thick, not the upper one. Also, Anakin's artificial hand still had a sense of touch. Not cluttered? There's the buttons on the back and front just below the emitter, which force a specific grip or you get a button jamming into your hand, and then there's the raised activator that although possible to compensate for, still prevents the saber being gripped in a certain way. I admit, it looks nice, but for practicality, it is not as good as say Obi-Wan's RotS saber, and nowhere near as ergonomic as Qui-Gon or Quinlan Vos' sabers...

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Tarvos
Actually, those kind of hilts are very good for dueling. I think the Old Republic used them because there were more Dark Jedi/Sith than blaster people, so you'd need to focus on dueling more.

Have you held the Dooku saber? I have a replica of it, its much more annoying to use. You always have to keep your hand in the right position for it to work right. It doesn't give as free range of motion as a straight saber hilt. Although IF you do have your hand in the right spot then the balance is a little more natural and better then a straight saber hilt.

But overall its more annoying to use.

Tarvos
Actually, I have used it. Yes, it does require a certain skill, but if used right, it's found to be somewhat more effective than the common hilt.

Traya
Meh, a curved hilt like Dooku's feels quite natural to me and hilt provides extra grip.

I'd have Exar Kun's sabre. It's nice to use.

Tarvos
Wow. Exar Kun's saber has one wacky texture.

Council#13
Mace Windu's (AOTC)
Obi-Wan's (AOTC)
Ki-Adi-Mundi's (Any period)

Darth Vious
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Have you held the Dooku saber? I have a replica of it, its much more annoying to use. You always have to keep your hand in the right position for it to work right. It doesn't give as free range of motion as a straight saber hilt. Although IF you do have your hand in the right spot then the balance is a little more natural and better then a straight saber hilt.

But overall its more annoying to use.
It all depends on your particular style. For someone who fences in the European Style (Form II), then a curved hilt offers much greater precision when manipulating the blade, and although the grip itself is somewhat limited, it would be equally limited with a fencing saber, which is designed to be used single-handedly. If your fencing is more like Japanese fencing, then the straight hilts are the best to use. However, trying to fence in the Form II style with a straight hilt (and keeping the blade in line with the forearm) is extremely taxing on the wrist. I made a saber with a lower curved hilt and a straight upper hilt, so it could accomodate both kinds of fencing, and for sheer practicality, it is my favorite. However, my latest saber (shown above) was made to use up left over materials from other sabers, so I didn't have access to any curved parts, which I would have used, if I'd had the choice...

Alliance
Summary: Dooku's hilt is perfect for Form II.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.