Immortality or Invincibility?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tangible God
Would you rather have the ability to naturally live forever, but still be able to die from a serious wound...

Or would you rather be invincible for a lifetime, so that nothing can physically harm you?

shaber
Your definition of immortality is actually just mortality without aging.

I wish I were invincible!

The Overmaster
I dunno, could I physically change myself, like with cybernetics and such when I'm invincible? If not, then I choose Immortality, eventually I would become invincible with all forms of cyber-tech running throughout my body.

Mindship
Part of the reason we are mortal is because we are vincible, subject to wear and tear, especially on the cellular level. If I were invincible, while that may not make me immortal, it would extend my lifespan considerably. I could use that extra time to do more cool stuff, stuff I wouldn't do if I could be harmed.

I'm also not sure I wanna go on forever while those I love and cherish, time after time after time, grow old and die; while things and lifestyles and cultures I grew comfortable with fade into the dust bin of history; while the stars grow cold, then protons decay...until all that is left is kelvin darkness...expanding ever faster...into...infini...ty...

balloon

Invincibility for moi.

Darth Macabre
Eternal Youth vs. Invincibility?

I'd probably take Invincibility, because I can pack more into my life being Invincible, then I could if I knew I was young, but could still die.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Tangible God
Would you rather have the ability to naturally live forever, but still be able to die from a serious wound...

Or would you rather be invincible for a lifetime, so that nothing can physically harm you?

The second one, easily. Who wants to live forever?

(good thread by the way thumb up )

Tangible God
TY, and these are the reactions I figured. You could so much in one lifetime if noone could harm. Then again, one's intentions may be of question.

redcaped
Basically the same with a different purpose.

Stealth
Immortality... Observe the ages that go by and gain the knowledge of knowing what eternity has to bring, while staying away from sharp objects ofcourse...

AOR

Seems rather redundant, one weakness is anothers strength

age>invincibility>harm/injury

harm/injury>immortality>age

Tangible God
Originally posted by AOR
Seems rather redundant, one weakness is anothers strength

age>invincibility>harm/injury

harm/injury>immortality>age Exactly, what's your preference?

Lovely Murder
immortality, because when the universe starts to implode, you can always kill yourself.

plus, i would get the chance to start over once everyone i know dies.

D-Double
I'd like to be invincible till I'm about 90.... then croak. faint

s|m

Hmm..
I'd choose invincibility, because I would be able to do things in a lifetime which may seem impossible for a normal human..

Inspectah Deck
I'll chose both.

Jonathan Mark
I would love to be immortal.

Great Vengeance
Hardly anyone actually dies from purely old age anyways...

Invincibility would be far more useful, opposed to an Immortality that wouldnt be able to save you from a random car accident.

Tangible God
With invincibility I'd be able to impose what I want.

But with immortality, I'd be able to make sure that what I impose, stays imposed.

Spazoid
Invincibility!!!!!! Ya never know when you're gonna step out in front of a bus, and then what's immortality gonna do for you?! Unfortunately, either one would make you a freak and an outcast.

debbiejo
I think I saw a Steven King flick like this.........and embalmed person that would never die and was in excruciating pain FOREVER!! OH, and cut in peices too, can't forget that....It's Steven King.... eek!

Or was that "Tales from the Crypt"............good ol family TV.

Mindship
Originally posted by debbiejo
I think I saw a Steven King flick like this.........and embalmed person that would never die and was in excruciating pain FOREVER!! OH, and cut in peices too, can't forget that....It's Steven King.... eek!

Or was that "Tales from the Crypt"............good ol family TV.

There was an old Twilight Zone episode, where the guy (Jack Klugman?) made a pact with the devil to live forever...then he got cocky, got convicted of a crime and was sentenced to jail for - you got it - life.

Rod, you chain-smokin', twist-at-the-end maniac, you.

Soleran
Or the movie with Goldie Hawn, Meryl Streep and Bruce Willis they were around immortals but could still get borken bones and such and look weird...............invincible here.

psychoboy07
Definitely invincibility. Living whilst everybody you ever cared about died around you would get old, really quick. Rather live an average life span without worrying about what's gonna happen to you in the next three minutes or so.

ROYALGUARD
id rather have Mortality but not through age but also near invincibility.

a force that could sever the neck would only scratch my skin
a nuclear bomb at ground zero would only make my skin have 2nd degree burns (painful yet i survived ground zero)

mailedbypostman
Invincibility as long as I'm not tortured or something for the zverage life span.

Adam_PoE
Who wants to live forever? Better to be invincible during your natural lifetime.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Mindship
There was an old Twilight Zone episode, where the guy (Jack Klugman?) made a pact with the devil to live forever...then he got cocky, got convicted of a crime and was sentenced to jail for - you got it - life.

Rod, you chain-smokin', twist-at-the-end maniac, you.

I tell ya' if I were him, I'd taking the plea bargain.

superman41082
The way you described immortality would actually be a mortal's life without aging.

See, I'm having trouble, because it seems by the time you're 80 or so, you'd slow down even if you were invicible. Am I a young man for my whole life, and then all the sudded things catch up with me?????

Evem so, I'd like to be mortal and not age. If you could make it to a few hundred years, you'd get so smart, you'd be more invincible than you could ever become with physical prowess alone. Also, when it would come to recieving gifts such as these, it is most important to note the things you could do with them, and with such blessings, it would be unfair not to use them to give something back to others. My biggest reason for choosing to be a mortal who doesn't age, becaue at some point, I will become enlightened, and be able to help others. I'm not sure how invincibility could be used as well in the aid of others, except in the classic super-hero way.

Your definition of IMMORTALITY.

Tangible God
...'Kay...

Yeah. Immortality:

Living forever without aging. Like a LOTR Elf. Happy?

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by superman41082
The way you described immortality would actually be a mortal's life without aging.

See, I'm having trouble, because it seems by the time you're 80 or so, you'd slow down even if you were invicible. Am I a young man for my whole life, and then all the sudded things catch up with me?????

Evem so, I'd like to be mortal and not age. If you could make it to a few hundred years, you'd get so smart, you'd be more invincible than you could ever become with physical prowess alone. Also, when it would come to recieving gifts such as these, it is most important to note the things you could do with them, and with such blessings, it would be unfair not to use them to give something back to others. My biggest reason for choosing to be a mortal who doesn't age, becaue at some point, I will become enlightened, and be able to help others. I'm not sure how invincibility could be used as well in the aid of others, except in the classic super-hero way.

Your definition of IMMORTALITY.

Who says we would want to give back to people?

NBT
Invincibility!

lancethebrave
Invincibility as wear and tear wouldn't affect you and you could go sky diving... without a parachute... that would be fun... also then I could take over the world without fear of being assassinated... sounds good to me I would be my own army... tiring job but effective

johnny cash fan
i'd rather be immortal, someone would be driven insane and completely miserable if they were invincible.
the world would blow up and you would be stuck in space for eternity.

argesilen
Well, your definition of immortality is quite poor, maybe you can explain it a little bit more...does it mean eternal youth, or gradual oldening, because it would be such a bummer if you're immortal(and not suicidal), and you're stuck with bad teeth for eternitysmile...
Same goes with invincibility, it's also undefined, does it mean that you're safe from outside attacks, but vulnerable to gases, or internal bleeding, or any internal problem...
probably, as a philosopher I would choose immortality, and then life in a forest, far away from people, but also, if I choose immortality, do I have to feed, same with invincibility? That's not clear to me either...

Utrigita
I think we can work from oure own analyses of the words that is the impression I gets, but maybe I am wrong ...

Now because you are Invincibility doesn't mean that you can conquer the world, you don't have any kind of super powers and so on, so basically you just cannot die from wounds, but you life will end.

Now being immortal with eternal Youth is something I could get used to, but it would be painful over the years to see all you friends die of age and so on, and you stay behind forever gets new friends what the point they die anyway life would become quiet hollow and empty.

Difficuelt choice what about a little of both ???

Ytse
How could you be invincible and not immortal at the same time? Being invincible the normal wear and tear that comes with age wouldn't occur.

~Flamboyant~
Invincible

~Forever*Alone~
invisibility yes

Adam_PoE
Invincibility.

Tangible God
Originally posted by argesilen
Well, your definition of immortality is quite poor, maybe you can explain it a little bit more...does it mean eternal youth, or gradual oldening, because it would be such a bummer if you're immortal(and not suicidal), and you're stuck with bad teeth for eternitysmile...
Same goes with invincibility, it's also undefined, does it mean that you're safe from outside attacks, but vulnerable to gases, or internal bleeding, or any internal problem...
probably, as a philosopher I would choose immortality, and then life in a forest, far away from people, but also, if I choose immortality, do I have to feed, same with invincibility? That's not clear to me either... Read a bit up this page, I describe immortality as that of an Elf from Lord of the Rings. You stop physically aging once you reach your prime.

FeceMan
Immortality.

A lack of cellular degeneration is invincibility in some ways. I'd rather live to see all the future holds, though...but I'd probably end up killing myself at some point.

Well, invincibility, maybe. I could die from a trainwreck tomorrow.

I don't know. Invincibility is living for the here and now while immortality is living for the future.

Inspectah Deck
immortality

King Nothing
Invincibility, I do wanna die someday.

Boris
The one were I don't die... ever.

Burnt Pancakes
Invincibility.

I don't want to alive when the Sun Explodes, nor do I want to outlive my own kids...

Violent K
Immortality, so I can die at least. I don't want to witness my loved ones dying before my eyes, while I still live, and to suffer.

Burnt Pancakes
Immortality is never dying. Invincability means you can't be harmed, or killed, but can die of natural causes (I think.)

Violent K

dsilva
id like to be invincible. i dont mind if i die eventually just wanna do all the crazy things im too afraid to do coz i might get hurt, like rock climbing, or river rafting.

ShoLeigh84
I'd wanna be invincible so I live life to the fullest without any fear! I wouldn't wanna live forever and watch all my loved ones die around me, I'd only end up wanting to die myself.

Thundar

Depends on the circumstances that are involved with being either. That being stated, if the purpose of either is to solely benefit myself, then I don't think I'd really want to be either.

Tangible God
Think of yourself as you are right now at your computer, and you can become one of these choices right now. Which one and why? Or why not?

Milkie

Immortality

But not in the way you describe it.

I'd like to have a kick ass healing factor like Dante from Devil May Cry.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.