Hyperspace

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cosmic Flame
How does an individual travel through hyperspace?

Thunderstrike
Writers obsessed with Star Wars?

Mr Master
Originally posted by Cosmic Flame
How does an individual travel through hyperspace?

Generally speaking, the idea of hyperspace relies on the existence of a separate and adjacent dimension. When activated, the hyperdrive shunts the starship into this other dimension, where it can cover vast distances in an amount of time greatly reduced from the time it would take in "real" space. Once it reaches the point in hyperspace that corresponds to its destination in real space, it re-emerges.
Explanations of why ships can travel faster than light in hyperspace vary; hyperspace may be smaller than real space and therefore a starship's propulsion seems to be greatly multiplied, or else the speed of light in hyperspace is not a barrier as it is in real space. Whatever the reasoning, the general effect is that ships traveling in hyperspace seem to have broken the speed of light, appearing at their destinations much quicker and without the shift in time that the Theory of Relativity would suggest.

Mr Master

Cosmic Flame
What about when people travel without the aid of a ship?

Swanky-Tuna
Probably a form of dimensional travel.

Mr Master
Originally posted by Cosmic Flame
What about when people travel without the aid of a ship?

I suppose in the same fashion but obviously under their own power, it's a mighty task indeed and I hate that so many are capable of this, it demeans the scope of the feat tramendously. First you have to reach the speed of light which technically means you become photonic sub-atomic particles yourself, since solid matter cannot exist at light speeds, but the cool thing is the speed itself is so great, one can't even feel oneself materializing into photons, then those that can surpass this madness, enter what some call the "non-existent hyperspace" because you literally disappear into another dimension, like a short cut if you will, which later remerges with the original dimension you came from. Light speed travellers stay within the original dimension from start to finish, but their practically invisible because they themselves have become photoniic particles(light).

Mindship
Originally posted by Mr Master
...it's a mighty task indeed and I hate that so many are capable of this, it demeans the scope of the feat tramendously.

I agree. It's like with surviving a nuclear explosion; both are feats which should be saved for very few characters.

Mr Master
Originally posted by Mindship
I agree. It's like with surviving a nuclear explosion; both are feats which should be saved for very few characters.

Absolutely Mindship,

I was just debating on a Wolverine vs Spiderman thread, when I learned that Wolvy, who once could only lift 500lbs max, is now surviving direct impacts from nuclear explosions, rediculous.

TheKahn
Originally posted by Mr Master
Absolutely Mindship,

I was just debating on a Wolverine vs Spiderman thread, when I learned that Wolvy, who once could only lift 500lbs max, is now surviving direct impacts from nuclear explosions, rediculous.

What will really make you pull your hair out in frustration is that if you look at the scans of that incident you will notice A) Wolverine isn't even burned in the least neither skin nor hair, B) his pants, boots, and belt all survive completely undamaged, C) there is relatively intact debris only a few feet away from the point of impact.

shock

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6928/venom36iv.th.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6734/venom46ft.th.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2125/venom08hm.th.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.