Edgar Alan Poe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkRaven
Edgar Alan Poe is one of my favourite writers. Is work is so inspiring to me. It's dark and gloomy yet it lives... The Raven and Lenore are two of the many that I love. Do any of you like him?

justjakk
melancholy driven lore, and other things that drive you further. i , doth can say, i have much limerick i fancy these words that flow quite rhythmically..

papabeard
I love Poe, his poetry and stories are almost too perfect, I love the dark gothic the imagery and ideas, very moving and very human.

I too love The Raven, The Fall of the House of Usher and The Tell Tale Heart.

DarkRaven
His short story, The Cask of Amontillado, very good story... I really like these lines from The Raven:"And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain Thrilled me---filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before", "Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before".

Gregory
Good poetry, generally mediocre prose would be my verdict.

loner hill
great writer! at first i thought his name was Anger Alan Poe! ahahahawwwww =(

Dreampanther
Reading it now, I find myself conflicted - on the one hand, I understand what a huge influence he had, and how powerful his imagery is, but because his stuff was wriiten so long ago, it is hard to immerse myself in the stories

DarkRaven
I can because ever since I was little ( now this may sound stupid) I've benn a bit "dark" but whatever that's just me I can imagine how he felt

JustOwnin
The following is a message from the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be:
I am the greatest DOA player alive. My skillz pass the borders of greatness and magnificent and ascends to levels of that beyond comprehension. Defeating me is like mission impossible, AND NONE OF YOU ARE TOM CRUISE!

For years I've displayed my incredible incredible beyond belief skillz in local tournaments and to whoever thought they could defeat me. Taking out all those who thought they had gual. For years I have been honing my skillz waiting for the moment that will allow me to show the WORLD my power. Now, finally a medium has been created that will allow me to show you my complete unabridged power! Like the pieces of Exodia the forbidden one formed together to create a being of infinite power who's victory cannot be stopped all the tools that will allow me to own you all now exists. Like opening the portal to hell and letting the most horrid of demons step upon earthly soil.

Head these words. These are not boasts nor empty threats! This is not an attempt at trolling nor the words of a uneducated fool who knows nothing about how real DOA is played. My skills are flawless. And to prove it, to affirm my superiority among you fools, I challenge EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED ONE OF YOU to a game of Dead Or Alive Ultimate.
Is there any who thinks that they can defeat me? Is there any man who has the gual to think that they could even comprehend my power muchless match it?
If I said I was challenging the best of the best and the greatest of the greatest I'd be talking about playing my self. So instead I say bring it... so I can sling.
Team KMC... you have unleashed a monster. A wolf left to deal with meer sheep. None shall defeat me!
So come, if you think can defeat me. Come, if you think you can step to me. Come, if you think you have what it takes.

battling it out on the daily over xbox live.

I come here, looking for a contender. Looking for a challenge. So that I can state my claim. And what do I find... NOTHING!

I see there is none brave enough to accept my challenge. None powerful enough to hope to defeat me.

As soon as I heard about this games release I began training even harder than usual. Using both state-of-the-art and unorthodox training proceedings. I was already the best, but when I heard about internet play I was compelled to get stronger. Compelled to grow stronger! Compelled to train hard!

Even though I can defeat everyone I play with utter ease and skill (i'm in chicago by the way) it is not simply because I beat people that I kNOW I'm the best. It is because of ease of my movement. The grace of my counters. The fierceness of my combos. The grace of my technique, and the innateness of my superiority that I kNOW I am the best.

That's why I waited to close to the release date to let my incredible skill be knowned. To warn you all of the tornado known as JustOwnin that is coming. So that you all can prepare... for the fight of your lives.

Be a fool and doubt my skillz now if it makes you sleep better but know this: MY SKILLZ ARE FLAWLESS!

Let us examine the word flawless for a second. The dictionary.com definition of flawless is, "Being entirely without flaw or imperfection. " That exact definition defines my skills. Which means that if there is any flaw in your game, any imperfection or weakness that exists within your psyche. Then you simply can't win.

Only the flawless can beat the flawless and the fearless defeats the brave.
GAMETAGE: JustOwnin

DarkRaven
May we please go back to the original topic which should I add was Edgar Alan Poe NOT XBOX Live....

stormtrooper501
JustOwnin, you have problems. Obviously you are extremely conceited and you don't seem to understand that this is a poetry thread. No one cares how good you are at DOA. I'd own you on Halo 2. I'm not saying I'm the best because I am sure there are other many other people that could beat me. However, braggers like you are never as good as you say you are. Why not compliment someone else on how good they are at something instead of talking about yourself. Besides, everyone knows that no one and no thing is flawless or perfect.

Addiction
There's a book coming out about May 23 called "The Poe Shadow" by Matthew Pearl about "the strange circumstances surrounding the death of Edgar Allan Poe" (Booklist). Matthew Pearl wrote the amazing "The Dante Club", now one of my favorites. So I'm really looking forward to what he does with the death of Poe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400061032/sr=8-1/qid=1145234295/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7996082-2146234?%5Fencoding=UTF8

DarkRaven
Are you serious? That is so cool is the relaese date National or just regional? Cuz I don't know where you are but I'm in Cali.

Addiction
Should be national. That is the release date according to Amazon. (I'm in North Carolina)

DarkRaven
So far away.... but yeah thanx. I'll check... Barnes & Noble maybe.... do you guys have B&N out there? Just wondering....

Addiction
we sure do smile

JustOwnin

JustOwnin
To get back on topic:

In one of his first poetic art works; one of his characters, I believe it was Kilik who once asked the question, "Listen, Can you hear my soul scream?!" This is all vaguely to me so i am not sure. =/ Anyway, I found that line very moving and wicked.

Addiction
sounds more like Soul Calibur than Edgar Allen Poe to me...

JustOwnin
hey man just TRYING to get back on topic! sad

DarkRaven
Originally posted by Addiction
sounds more like Soul Calibur than Edgar Allen Poe to me...

Sure does... Kilik is a soul calibur character... people who don't know what they're talking about shouldn't even post comments. Hey Justowmin you really should try the "video games forum" there's about 96,000 and something posts on that you really should go and show off there.... If you can take the challenge.....

JustOwnin
Originally posted by DarkRaven
Sure does... Kilik is a soul calibur character... people who don't know what they're talking about shouldn't even post comments. Hey Justowmin you really should try the "video games forum" there's about 96,000 and something posts on that you really should go and show off there.... If you can take the challenge.....

raver I accept your challenge! (now watch your thread die) smile

Addiction
Screw that, I'm not going to let this thread die. I love Poe.
Aside from all the obvious classics, I usually list "The Oval Portrait" among my favorites. Its short and sweet, with a cool ending.
Anyone else have any favorite semi-obscure Poe stories?

DarkRaven
Thanx Addiction.. The fall of The House of Usher..I barelly remenber waht the was about, I haven't read it for a long time.. I really like the Cask Of Amontillado..... just it's setting and it's end is so macabre.. it's a great example of dislike and showing what one is capable of

poepoepoe
check it out

poeshadow.com

Addiction
^^^^ that was the book i was talking about before

DarkRaven
it is, cool! I'll check it out.

Koenig
Edgar Alan Poe the classic goth horror writer and still very enjoyable today.

DarkRaven
Of course and then you get the liitle "goth Kids" that have only ever read The Raven they're so cheesy!!!!! miffed

papabeard
I love poe, and it has stopped several goth chicks from sacrificing me in the past. hahahaha

DarkRaven
cool good luck with that did you prove to them that you've read The Raven?
Goth Chicks: We're going to sacrifice you so that we can become vampires.
Papabeard: But I know The Raven! sad
Goth Chicks: Prove it...
Papabeard: Bla bla bla "quothe the Raven Nevermore"

ha ha ha wink

papabeard
Yeah, hahahah

They were like " Now You Must perish, so we can attain immortality"

and I was like "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"

and they were like " silence peasant"

and I was like "Poetry is the rhythmical creation of beauty in words. "

and they were like " oh, satisfy our yearning o' dark master" hahahah.

Note : Use of "and I/They were Like" is ironic.

Goth girls rule.

DarkRaven
Nice stick out tongue tha was funny!

filipinogrl
I like Annabel Lee. I've read it so much I can remember the first verse.

It was many and many a year ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know,
By the name of Annabel Lee
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

DarkRaven
yes that is a beautiful poem .......

Azure
I know this is random and no one knows me, but my goal is to spread the word.......there will be a Dragonlance movie in 2007! (don't bother flaming me, because will most likely never see it)

R.F.
Right... I like DL too, but this is an Edgar Allen Poe thread... Try not to spam it.

Back to the topic... I love Edgar Allen Poe, and my favorite of his poems is called "The Bells", and my favorite story is called "The Black Cat". This is sort of off topic, but if you like Edgar Allen Poe, I recommend another author called H. P. Lovecraft. I've heard him described as "...The 20th-century successor to Edgar Allen Poe as the master of 'weird fiction'..." If you've never heard of him, one of his more famous stories is called "The Call of Cthulhu". I suggest you read it.

DarkRaven
Originally posted by R.F.
Right... I like DL too, but this is an Edgar Allen Poe thread... Try not to spam it.

Back to the topic... I love Edgar Allen Poe, and my favorite of his poems is called "The Bells", and my favorite story is called "The Black Cat". This is sort of off topic, but if you like Edgar Allen Poe, I recommend another author called H. P. Lovecraft. I've heard him described as "...The 20th-century successor to Edgar Allen Poe as the master of 'weird fiction'..." If you've never heard of him, one of his more famous stories is called "The Call of Cthulhu". I suggest you read it.

Sounds awsome I'll check him out but may I add that no one could ever sum up to Poe.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.