Yoda had Insight Too!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

truejedi
I was watching ROTJ the other day, and i realized something for the first time, maybe everyone else already knew, but i hadn't made the connection.
Yoda knew Luke was going to turn his father back to the light. He told Luke "One thing remains, you must confront Vader"
Now in confronting, (and then turning ) Vader, Luke solves his other major problem, Palpatine. If Luke had killed Vader, he would still have had to deal with the Empourer who obviously outclassed him.
If Yoda had intended Luke to kill Vader, he would have said, you must confront vader, and then confront palpatine, but Yoda knew Vader would turn and then destroy Palps.
This gives much credibility to the argument that Yoda spent his time on dagaboh becoming much more powerful then he ever had been. He was unable to forsee anything concerning Sidious during the clone wars, but by the time of his death, he could see it all laid out before him, and it all happened "just as he had forseen"
I think he developed the power of foresight b/c he saw how useful it was to Sidious. Whaddya think?

Revolver Ocelot
Maybe Yoda did... Or perhaps he did not. Recall that Ben expects Luke to *kill* Vader. I'm sure they were both aware of his combat abilities... or inabilities. Regardless, he was their last hope. He could not receive any addition training, the Rebel Alliance was on the brink of collapse. They realized it was now or never. That's why they sent him.

Maybe they hoped Vader would attempt to turn Luke himself? As far as they knew, the Emperor doesn't really care about Luke's presence. Does Yoda even know Palpy has precognition?

Tarvos
Yep. Yoda is wise; he didn't aquire some new foresite power. He knew that the only way to defeat Vader is to give him back something he once had: his humanity.

DiamondBullets
Good point, truejedi.

Yes, I believe that Yoda saw everything, however he himself was too physically handicapped to take any action.

chinabing
Then why did Obi-Wan transform into the force? Obi-Wan and Luke could have trained together, and both taken on Vader and then the emperor. Instead Luke had to challenge Vader & emperor with no partner.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by chinabing
Then why did Obi-Wan transform into the force? Obi-Wan and Luke could have trained together, and both taken on Vader and then the emperor. Instead Luke had to challenge Vader & emperor with no partner.

Cuz it was Obi's time. His biological life was coming to an end soon--he wouldn't have been able to train Luke.

Revolver Ocelot
He was 58. He had plenty of time to go.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot
He was 58. He had plenty of time to go.

That was due to the PT discrepency--All pre-PT EU placed ANH Obi in his 70's erm

BETPiece2010
Well, Luke had no real connection on any level with the Emperor. Yoda wanted Luke to getover his fear of loss. The Emperor didn't have any place in the equation.

Remember, Yoda said, "Once you star down the dark path, forever willit dominate your destiny." He had no IDEA Vader would become Anakin again. Remember, Obi-wan said, "The good man that was your father was destroyed." They thought Anakin was gone! They probably THOUGHT that he was gone and that the reason they thought he was the chosen one was because he was the father of the chosen one.

I don't think they had any idea.

Ushgarak
"All pre-PT EU placed ANH Obi in his 70's "

That was its mistake then, because Guiness was nowhere near that old.

It would be a big mistake to call this Yoda's plan. Remember, Luke is the hero of the OT and that was the end of it. This was HIS heroic achievement, unaided.

truejedi
I just always thought it odd that they spent all that time preparing him to meet Vader w/o even telling him that the emporer could fry him with lightning. I kinda think it ties together better with the idea that it was all part of the plan.
And not to take away from Luke's heroics (or his stupidity of throwing his lightsaber away, right after being coached by vader "you are unwise to lower your defenses" ) But if Yoda didn't see it coming, then he sent his last trainee to certain death. There is no way Luke had any chance of overcoming Vader and Sidious. I just don't think Yoda would make that mistake.

Ushgarak
Two points there-

First, Yoda DID warn Luke. he made it very clear. He told him not to underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer the fate of his father. Think about what that means.

Secomndly, Yoda and Ben were relying on the Prophecy, remember? They thought Luke might destroy the Sith. It was the only shot they had.

Yoda may well have had had insight telling him this was the right thing to do, but it is important to the plot that all but Luke had given up on redeeming Anakin.

FistOfThe North
I don't know about Yoda having this "insight that's being talked about here.

If he somehow foresaw Luke fulfilling his role in the prophesy indefinitely, then why did he kinda doubt it when he told Obi Wan's ghost in ESB "There is another" just after Obi Wan tells him "That boy is our only hope or chance" or whatever he said, right after Luke leaves for Cloud City.

As if he were implying, "If my insight is right, If i'm right, it's Luke, if i'm wrong, there is another." So what he thought was probably speculation. Even he said something about "clouded the future is." or something to that degree and in so many words. And you know Yoda may have become senile after all those years on Degobah. For the greatest and strictest Jedi Master of all time, to suddenly declare a person that was, imoh, of Padawn status, to the rank of a Master for completing 1 duty, is definitely senile. I don't care how big the task is.

Tangible God
^ That's what I'd been thinking.

The only reason Yoda said "Vader, you must confront Vader," is because that's what Luke needed to do to become a full-fledged Jedi.

Yoda had his doubts. "There is another," "Do not underestimate the powers of the EMperor, or suffer you father's fate, you will."

I don't think he had the utmost belief that Luke would win, but he had the hope that he would.

truejedi
Thats a good point there I suppose, Yoda does make it obvious he doesn't believe Luke is good enough for the job, and if he was able to forsee that Luke would turn Vader, he wouldn't have those doubts.

If Yoda warned Luke that he would end up like his father, that makes me think, was Sidious actually going to kill Luke, or was he going to weaken him, and hurt him, until he hated Sidious enough to turn to the dark side? Is that why the lightning didn't kill Luke, or even leave him scarred? was it because sidious was just hurting him, not trying to kill him.
That would mean that the line where Sidious says "and now young skywalker, you will die" mean he was trying to make luke feel hopeless.

Ushgarak
Sidious wanted to turn Luke but that plan failed at the point Luke threw away his sabre. The Emperor was then going to kill him, but tortured him first.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.