pi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

allofyousuckkk
Other than pi being 3.14.... and all circles have the same ratio from the circumference to the diameter, what makes pi so important?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
allofyousickkks and so does pi. I prefer the Golden Ratio. It's so much more hip.

Magee
Pi is infinite, it's just shortened to 3.14 instead of 3.145645134564564647484115645....

Shakyamunison
It's not a round number. laughing

Soleran
Originally posted by Magee
Pi is infinite

Prove it wink

debbiejo
Cause it's soooooooo cool!

http://goldennumber.net/

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Soleran
Prove it wink no proof is needed

there no end to pi has been found. It goes on forever

HAVEN'T YOU EVER SEEN PI? mad

its a movie

Gregory
Originally posted by Soleran
Prove it wink

1) If pi could be written as a finite decimal, it could also be written as a fraction, with the digits of pi in the numerator and a power of ten in the denominator.

2) But as a matter of fact, pi is irrational.

Q.E.D.

The Omega
Pi, to the best of our knowledge, is an irrational number.
That is, a REAL number, which cannot be written as x/y
Mathematians have tried to see how far they could get with pi, here's one page http://www.angio.net/pi/piquery

Since pi is so importnat to calculating circles, it shows up in a lot of quantum mechanical equations, where physicist have to take into account a lot of peculiar spaces where certain aspects of "reality" has circular movements so to speak.

Not to mention Einsteins field equations (first equation shown on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equation ), that is, the modern version of how gravity works.

So, pi, plays a crucial role in modern physics
(Your resident scientist at your service wink )

debbiejo
yes .........like I said, it's cool.

shaber
Has anyone ever tried to calulate it in Number Base 12?

Everyone remember this rhyme in order to always calculate it to 13 DPs.

'How I wish I could recollect of circle round,
The exact relation arximedes found.'

Insert a decimal point after how and make the digits using the number of letters in each word. Archimedes has to have the Greek spelling so that it only has nine letter.

Atlantis001
One can prove that pi is infinite by writing it like series of many terms that add each other, in a way that the sum of all the(infinite) terms is equal to pi, this is a mathematical method that is used in many things. Series like this that are used to calculate pi never stops(they have infinite terms), "you will always have more algorisms to calculate", that means pi has infinite algorisms.

BYW pi is 3.14159273001...

Gregory
Hm. Something can have an infinite algorithm and still be finite, though:

1 = 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + ...

Capt_Fantastic
Irrational numbers represent the unknown, uncertain, factor in life. They are essential to our existence. In fact, they are the basis of all our misunderstandings.

K.Diddy
I dont like Pie's that much,you never know what they put in them sick

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by K.Diddy
I dont like Pie's that much,you never know what they put in them sick

what? Like beaks and peckers?

debbiejo
blink Not the pies I eat........lol

Koala MeatPie
Pi to the millionth decimal place

Copy past the link, becasue will not open.

The Omega
Shaber> You mean as the group with "basenumber" 12??? That wouldn't work, if you're thinking modulo-groups that is??

Atlantis001> How would you go about writing pi as an addition of infinite TERMS??? If each term is infinite you can't write it...

Gregory> You're thinking about approximations. The math-tool used in our calculators to do math with infinite numbers.

shaber
I believe that we would definitely have used base 12 if we didn't have ten digits. Take such measurements as the dozen or the gross and the use of 12 in units of currency. It would have been a much more useful number base.

§P0oONY
(auto quote)[/quickquote

Pi is an infinite irrational number.... and there is Pi Radians in 180 degrees.

The Omega
Shaber> Ah, you're not talking modulo-groups.
I think mankind has had several counting systems during history. I think the Babylonians were crazy about the number 60(?).
All this with 12 months, 7 days, 60 minutes, 60 seconds, 360 degrees...

mechmoggy
I like pi with an e.

embarrasment

debbiejo
Butter Pecan is really good warm....mmmmmmm but I really Apple.

mechmoggy
I really cherry!

wink

debbiejo
I hear it's a male favorite.........especially with whipped cream....book

mechmoggy
Whooah momma! naughty

debbiejo
We could talk about "Apple Turn Overs", but I think that would be off topic, and I for one would never dream of derailing a thread.........lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.