Tricky Question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

thesheephair
When you die, you see 2 doors. 1 leads into heaven and one leads into hell. Presumably(sp) you want to go into heaven.

Both doors are guarded by 2 guards, there are no signs that say heaven or hell, you are allowed to ask 1 guard 1 question. The guard guarding heaven always tells the truth the guard guarding hell always tells a lie.

EG you ask 1 guard is this heaven? hell guard says yes and heaven guard says yes. your stuck.

What question do you ask?

DiamondBullets
Can I take a peep through the keyhole?

thesheephair
wtf? no

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I like your shoes, who's your momma?

Shakyamunison
You ask one of the guards will the other one tell you the truth. If he says no, it is the truth. If he says yes, it is a lie

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by thesheephair
wtf? no

wtf? yes

RedAlertv2
Id retrace my steps and keep on livin yes

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You ask one of the guards will the other one tell you the truth. If he says no, it is the truth. If he says yes, it is a lie

not quite. if you ask the guard from hell, he will lie and say no, but the guard from heaven will also say no, because it is the truth that the guard from heaven will lie.

Alpha Centauri
He's killed his own question. If Heaven's guard always says the truth, ask him.

-AC

Arachnoidfreak
I think they're supposed to be identical looking, so you don't know which is which just by looking.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'd know. I'd look at him for a long time.

Imperial_Samura
I can almost imagine a petty God doing something like this. You die, you think "ah, final reward here I come" then you get to this test where you'd loose everything by going through the wrong door. You Bastard I'd want to say.

Still, the question I ask - "Is God the greatest?" or "Is God/Jesus the key to salvation?" Or something like that - the good guy will say yes, the bad guy of course will say no.

This is based on Christian dogma though, none of the theological debates about Gods before God or whatever or Jesus or anything.

K.Diddy
I would ask if I could light up a scoob smokin'

Storm
What will the other one say is the door to heaven?

Darth Jello
Why would heaven need guards? what, is someone who's in line or whatever gonna run through the gates and pick a fight with two of the beefier archangels like Michael or Remiel? I'm pretty sure those flaming swords really pack a wallop, even when you're already dead.

Eis
When you die, you see 2 doors. 1 leads into heaven and one leads into hell. Presumably(sp) you want to go into heaven.

Both doors are guarded by 2 guards, there are no signs that say heaven or hell, you are allowed to ask 1 guard 1 question. The guard guarding heaven always tells the truth the guard guarding hell always tells a lie.

EG you ask 1 guard is this heaven? hell guard says yes and heaven guard says yes. your stuck.

I'd ask one of the guards: Is my name Jesus? If he says yes then I know he's lying therefore I'd know he's guarding hell.

Darth Jello
assuming that heaven has guards, check the nametags of the guards.
if they say Scarmiglione, Alichino, Calcabrina, Cagnazzo, Barbariccia, Libicocco, Draghignazzo, Ciriatto, Graffiacane, Farfarello, or Rubicante, then that's definitely the gate to hell. I'd stick around and ask them to do that trick Dante described in the inferno where they blow trumpets out of their asses.

grey fox
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Why would heaven need guards? what, is someone who's in line or whatever gonna run through the gates and pick a fight with two of the beefier archangels like Michael or Remiel? I'm pretty sure those flaming swords really pack a wallop, even when you're already dead.

He's right their , unless your packing the spear of longinus don't try getting into a fist-fight with an angel.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by grey fox
He's right their , unless your packing the spear of longinus don't try getting into a fist-fight with an angel.

But they weren't real angels. And it seems many people would have been happy if Shinji had gone out and picked a fist fight with one.

Syren
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
He's killed his own question. If Heaven's guard always says the truth, ask him.

-AC

clapping

Mindship

What question do you ask?"

"Am I dead?"
Heaven Guard: "Yes."
Hell Guard: "No."

Syren
That seems to work.

Imperial_Samura
If God existed, and this actually happened I expect the truth would actually be that God is simply a really poor Dungeon Master.

I swear there were situations like this in some of the old D&D modules. If you picked the wrong door you'd fall down a hole or be set upon by a couple of lv 20 Gnomes of DEATH!!!! (Which means ones pitiful lv 1 Elvan cleric died a rather stabbity death while the rest of the party scarpered. Bastards.)

Pandemoniac
What you should do is ask one of the guards this question:
'Would the guard by the other door tell me that this is the door to heaven?'
If you were in front of the door to hell, the guard to hell would say Yes, lying about what the guard to heaven would say. The guard to heaven would answer Yes as well, as he would tell the truth about the lie the other would make.
If you were in front of the door to heaven, the guard to heaven would answer No, as the other one would lie about it. The guard to hell would answer No too, lying about the truth the other would say.
The guard that will answer No to the question above stands in front of the door to heaven.

Syren
I don't follow that... I'm being slightly slow today embarrasment

Pandemoniac
Read carefully, and try to imagine being in the situation.

Syren
But you said that the guard who would say no to the question above stands in front of the door to heaven... but both guards answered no, right?

Pandemoniac
I made a mistake in the description indeed. Forget about how I mentioned 'No' being a possible answer for either of the doors, No is only a possible answer for one of the doors.
Re-correction: When asking the guard by the door to heaven the question 'will the other guard tell me that your door leads to heaven', the answer will be 'No'.
The guard by heaven's door will have to tell the truth about the lie that the guard to hell will give. Hell would say No, so heaven will tell you that they say No.
If the guard you talk to would be in front of the door to hell, he will tell you Yes. He would lie about the other one telling you that his door is not the door to heaven.
It is a tricky one indeed. Make a picture of it on paper, so you can link the questions and replies between both guards.

Syren
I'm drawing a blank, excuse the pun erm

I'm not good with these, really. Ever heard this?

Brothers and sisters have I none,
But that man's father is my father's son.

Who is 'that man'?

Pandemoniac
Wicked. Would the man be your own son?

justjakk
Originally posted by Syren
I'm drawing a blank, excuse the pun erm

I'm not good with these, really. Ever heard this?

Brothers and sisters have I none,
But that man's father is my father's son.

Who is 'that man'? your son....
in the poem you say you have no siblings...you said nothing about having children, and it is saying that this boys father is your fathers son. that would make your father his grandfather.

and if you went to two doors, each gaurded. one guard lies and one guard tells the truth, wouldnt you simply say "show me the door you are guarding."? since you are only asking one of the guards, that guard would play his own role. the hells guard who lies will show you the door to heaven. and in that same token, the guard to heaven will show you the door to heaven..

Pandemoniac
You can not be granted a mere sight of what is beyond the doors, seeing would mean entering, and that would still have a 50% f#ck up chance.

Syren
Yeah, it'd be your own son clapping

Don't you have to ask the question;

"Which door will the other guard tell me is Hell?"

The one who tells the truth will point to his own door as the other guard, the liar, will tell you Heaven's door is hell.

The liar will point to Heaven's door as the truthful guard will tell you the truth but the guard you asked is lying. You choose that door.

Does that make sense?

Inspectah Deck

I'll open both the doors to see if it's Heaven or Hell.

Syren
What about the guards? shock

Inspectah Deck
I'll slap them.

Pandemoniac
No no noo! You cannot slap them, sneak behind them or things like that.
Hellooo, they have been guarding the afterlife for ages, think you can trick them?

Syren
So, no one's going with my theory then? confused

Pandemoniac
Yeah, it'd be your own son clapping

Don't you have to ask the question;

"Which door will the other guard tell me is Hell?"

The one who tells the truth will point to his own door as the other guard, the liar, will tell you Heaven's door is hell.

The liar will point to Heaven's door as the truthful guard will tell you the truth but the guard you asked is lying. You choose that door.

Does that make sense?

That's about the same question,and it will bring the desired answer as well. Seems you understand the solution to this, good job!

PVS
if the hell guard ALWAYS lies, thats the advantage. just ask any simple yes or no question with a simple answer.

hey guard...does a bear shit in the woods?

hell guard: no

heaven guard: yes

or better yet: are you a guard?

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS

or better yet: are you a guard?

good answer

or you could do something simple...take your shoes off in front of them and then ask one of the gaurds..did i just take my shoes off?

if he says no he's a liar and he's guarding hell...yes...and its heaven

problem solved

Pandemoniac
Eeeuh, ok, that might work

Deano
just ask them 'is god loving and caring'

Syren
Oh my god... the simplicity of this is astounding. You just take your shoes off!! Wow, I should have said that. Genius stick out tongue

Pandemoniac
Yeah, feeling the same way...

PVS
great, i come up with the answer, the tagalong gets the credit. but i guess thats just life, isnt it?

jaden, you better hope you're standing behind me in line at the pearly gates.

Syren
*strokes PVS's ego* hug

PVS
*strokes PVS's...

Jumpy

...ego* hug

down

Darth Jello
Oh, i forgot another factor. If the gate is located in a dense forest in Romania or Jerusalem, then it's hell. If it's located in garden of eden at the highest peak of the island of purgatory, then it's heaven.
plus the sign "abandon all hope all ye who enter" should also be a good clue.

PVS
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Oh, i forgot another factor. If the gate is located in a dense forest in Romania or Jerusalem, then it's hell. If it's located in garden of eden at the highest peak of the island of purgatory, then it's heaven.
plus the sign "abandon all hope all ye who enter" should also be a good clue.

but when you think about it, "abandon all hope all ye who enter" would apply to heaven as well, since in paradise you would no longer need to hope.

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
great, i come up with the answer, the tagalong gets the credit. but i guess thats just life, isnt it?

jaden, you better hope you're standing behind me in line at the pearly gates.

if they'll let us in...there's hope for everyone stick out tongue

Darth Jello
Originally posted by PVS
but when you think about it, "abandon all hope all ye who enter" would apply to heaven as well, since in paradise you would no longer need to hope.
true, but i'm basing this on dante here

Mindship
Basically, the solution is: ask any question you already know the answer to.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
No no noo! You cannot slap them, sneak behind them or things like that.
Hellooo, they have been guarding the afterlife for ages, think you can trick them?

laughing out loud

Victor Von Doom
So, to sum up.

It's not actually a tricky question.

Darth Jello
Yeah, if they're getting ready to change the guards and one of them toots a horn with his butt, you're at the gates of hell and for some reason are using the demon guards who are usually on duty at one of the rounds of malebolge, the eighth layer ripping the flesh off of simoners, flatterers, and seducers, occasionally taking breaks in the seventh layer with a pleasant stroll through the forest of suicides and a nap before the river of boiling blood.

Syren
Originally posted by PVS
Jumpy

down

leftright

PVS
youpi

The Omega
Just ask something you KNOW the answer to! smile
Is 2+2 equal to 4? Hell-guards say no, heaven guard say yes...
Easy big grin

grey fox
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
But they weren't real angels. And it seems many people would have been happy if Shinji had gone out and picked a fist fight with one.

When did Evangelion get involved confused

Mindship
This was indeed a trick question cuz it made us all think we had to be smarter than we actually had to be.

Pandemoniac
Indeed, the suggested complexity can be distracting, and make one overlook the rather simpleness of the answer.

jaden101
Originally posted by Mindship
This was indeed a trick question cuz it made us all think we had to be smarter than we actually had to be.

where as the smart ones knew their was a simple answer

now that really is a paradox

Syren
I think my brain just imploded laughing out loud

Black Rob

What question do you ask? simple"point to the door that is not your door." The hell guard will point to his own door because thats a lie.The heaven guard will also point to hells door because it not his door. The door both of them are pointing to is the door to hell.The other one is the door to heaven

Inspectah Deck
^ That could work too.

PVS
oh will you all just quit re-packaging my answer. problem solved. topic dead. stick out tongue

leonheartmm
you ask guard 1 if he was created by god. if he answers yes, hes not a liar and the guard of heaven, if he answers no than heis the guard if hell.

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
oh will you all just quit re-packaging my answer. problem solved. topic dead. stick out tongue

jesus **** are you still bitter about that? laughing out loud

listen everybody...PVS did it...he's the brainy one

i'll repeat that

PVS FIGURED IT OUT

there you go mate...

PVS
I KNOW!!!! ask the guard "do i have 10 toes?"

oh wait!!! I KNOW!!! ask the guard "how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"!!!!!

jumpy

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by PVS
I KNOW!!!! ask the guard "do i have 10 toes?"

oh wait!!! I KNOW!!! ask the guard "how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"!!!!!

jumpy

How do you know if the guard had 11 toes?

PVS
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
How do you know if the guard had 11 toes?

you misread the question

debbiejo
Originally posted by PVS

jumpy You're an interesting person... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by PVS
you misread the question

Oops embarrasment

Bardock42
I might be wrong (nah...I am never) but I assume the question is supposed to be more like the one in "Labyrinth".

One Guard is lying, one is saying the truth, but you don't know which one guards the safe entrance.

debbiejo
I didn't read any of the other posts so I could just think....Ask the Heaven guard "Do you ever lie"........no that wouldn't work would it.....Ask the heaven guard does the other Heaven guard ever lie?....hmmmm. I know, Ask the the......oh god, I don't know...

OK, I read through it now.........PVS is right.....ask any question you already know the truth to.....

Janus Marius
Ask the guard if he'd crack the door open an inch for me to get a good look. If he says no, he's an uptight bastard from heaven. If he says yes, he's the guard from hell and I'd better stop him from opening that door.

chaichai
ask one of the guards

"what will the other guard say if i asked him what door he has behind him?"

hypothetically, if you asked the heaven guard he will tell you heaven as he is telling the truth about the other guard. he knows the other guard will lie to you

conversely, if you happened to ask the hell guard, he will tell you hell as he is lying about the other guard and wants you to pick the hell door.

either way it doesn't matter which guard you ask; whatever the guard answers, is the door behind him

Mathhead

The question need only be asked to a single guard. The question is "What door would the other guard tell me leads to heaven?" Since one is lying and one is telling the truth, they will both identify the wrong door. The truthful guard will say that the lying guard would tell you the wrong door. The lying guard would say that the truthful guard would tell you the wrong door as well because he is lying about what the other will say. Both guards identify the door to hell, so you would choose the door that the guards did not identify. This would lead you to heaven.

Gadabout
I read the op question and the first page of responses...it seems that a very easy and obvious solution has been over looked. The problem is that the wrong question is asked.
If allowed to question each guard 1 each then the solution is you asked both "Is this the gate to hell?"

Omega Vision
In this situation, do we assume as a given that one of the doors leads to Heaven and that one of the guards is honest?

Because if they're both liars...

But yeah, assuming that, I think Jaden hit the nail on the head, it's actually the sort of thing police use to gauge lie detectors by asking things that are easily answered as true or false (is the sky green?), watch out for anyone who can say 'yes, the sky is green' without the polygraph going nuts stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.