cofused about new superman movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
Well I'm in the right section this time so I would think this thread would not be closed this time.Before that last thread I made about the new superman movie got closed,a couple people remarked that this movie is not an origin story,that the movie is taking place after superman two and something like superman 3 and 4 never happened.Is that REALLY true? If so,Well then that would make sense than that its called Superman Returns but where is he returning from though,that makes no sense? confused and if this movie is NOT an origin story all over again,then how come in the trailers is shows him as a little kid at the kent farm learning his powers? that makes no since if its NOT an origin story again. confused Well I guess if its not another origin story again maybe I'll change my mind and see it after all.That was my main gripe about it that it was an origin story all over again which if that were the case it would be pretty stupid to make another superman movie because the original superman movie is a masterpiece and still the greatest comicbook movie of all time.So unlike with Batman,it would not make any sense to make another superman origin story.Batman Begins was so much needed because Batman 89 totally butchered the comicbook and his character to death and Batman Begins erased that horrible nightmare memory of Batman 89 for many Batman fans such as myself.But with Superman,that would be insane to remake another superman movie all over again with another origin story since the first one was so great.However,I guess if its really true from what a couple of posters said in that last thread that it all takes place after superman 2 then like I said,well I guess I can see them making this new superman movie then.From the title Superman Returns,well it must be true then huh? but again if thats really true,then how come the trailers show him learning his powers in the kent farm as kid? This is becoming very confusing now. confused confused also,how are the going to possibly explain away that superman 3 and 4 never happened? the confusion never ends for me. big grin

H. S. 6
It isn't an origin story. Yes, it is the "sequel", persay, to Superman 2, as if 3 and 4 never happened.

Not sure where Superman is coming back from, but I think a pivotal element to the story is the conflict between Clark and Lois, as Clark has been away a few years and Lois has picked up a new man. (I think...)

My guess for the parts showing Clark as a child: flashbacks. I'm going to assume a large portion of the audience going to see this movie are young kids, and therefore, probably haven't seen the first Superman. They are going to need something to give these people a background on what/who Superman is, and what his story is. That's when the flashbacks come in.

AstroFan
I think Superman went to the remains of Krypton, which I think you see in the trailer.

Mr Parker
damn I made a mistake,I accidently put it in the comicbook section again. mad Digi feel free to go ahead and move it to the superman section since I know now thats where it needs to be. embarrasment

Femi32
Originally posted by H. S. 6
It isn't an origin story. Yes, it is the "sequel", persay, to Superman 2, as if 3 and 4 never happened.

Not sure where Superman is coming back from, but I think a pivotal element to the story is the conflict between Clark and Lois, as Clark has been away a few years and Lois has picked up a new man. (I think...)

My guess for the parts showing Clark as a child: flashbacks. I'm going to assume a large portion of the audience going to see this movie are young kids, and therefore, probably haven't seen the first Superman. They are going to need something to give these people a background on what/who Superman is, and what his story is. That's when the flashbacks come in.

Basically what he said. Superman Returns is a sequel, not an origin movie. Oh, and that new man is Perry White, whom Lois is married to with a kid.

Superman basically returns to earth after missing for six years. He has to learn how to fit into a society he abandoned.

Thunderstrike
It sounds pretty cool. I am bummed though that the big villain is Luthor, again. Why can't it be Doomsday, or *gasp* Darkseid?
http://www.thekryptonian.com/images/bios/comics/darkseid.gif

Syndicate_Lord
Darkseid would be the best villain ever... but Lois marrying PERRY!? That's wrong... just, WROPNG! He's like 60...

Thunderstrike
But it's damn funny. Even funnier: it's the guy who played Cyclops from X-Men!

Supes got pwned by an X-man! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Femi32
Nobody is complaining about Magneto being the villian again for the third straight time. 3 movies in 6 years with the same guy! Supes will have different villians in his sequels. It's the first Superman movie in 20 years for crying out loud.

Thunderstrike
True. I was just hoping for maybe Darkseid this time around. He was the best villain of any animated series, considering we didn't see Venom enough in Spider-Man, or enough Silver Surfer to notice how badass Thanos is. Darkseid kicked a whole lot of ass.

AstroFan
Originally posted by Syndicate_Lord
Darkseid would be the best villain ever... but Lois marrying PERRY!? That's wrong... just, WROPNG! He's like 60...

She doesnt. laughing out loud

She is marrying the guy Cyclops plays. stick out tongue

Syndicate_Lord
Originally posted by Femi32
Nobody is complaining about Magneto being the villian again for the third straight time. 3 movies in 6 years with the same guy! Supes will have different villians in his sequels. It's the first Superman movie in 20 years for crying out loud. Magneto wasnt the X2 villain... and that's different. superman has other great villains but who's for an X Men mobie? I just can't see Apocalypse... besides, Mags has different Brotherhood people to add variety!

H. S. 6
Nobody is complaining about Magneto being the villian again for the third straight time. 3 movies in 6 years with the same guy! Supes will have different villians in his sequels. It's the first Superman movie in 20 years for crying out loud.

You know why? The X-Men can have an actual fight with Magneto.

Superman can't fight with Luthor, which is exactly what was missing from the older Superman movies. wink

roughrider
Basically what he said. Superman Returns is a sequel, not an origin movie. Oh, and that new man is Perry White, whom Lois is married to with a kid.

Superman basically returns to earth after missing for six years. He has to learn how to fit into a society he abandoned.

It's not Perry White, it's his son Richard that Lois is involved with. And he's played by James Marsden aka Cyclops.
I don't mind that the villan is Luthor again, but they could add a bit of foreshawdowing if Supes had been out in space for a long time - watched by Darkseid, perhaps? The original film did that, setting up General Zod to come into the picture by the second film.

Validus
You know why? The X-Men can have an actual fight with Magneto.

Superman can't fight with Luthor, which is exactly what was missing from the older Superman movies. wink
Yeah, along with the technology to have a decent fight scene. Have you recently watched the fight in #2 against Zod and his flunkies? laughing out loud

Thunderstrike
2 words:
Celophane S

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Validus
Yeah, along with the technology to have a decent fight scene. Have you recently watched the fight in #2 against Zod and his flunkies? laughing out loud

Unfortunately, I haven't watched the entire second film, and the bits of that and the first one I saw was a long time ago. However, I remember watching the first one, and feeling disappointed that we weren't able to see an actual, climactic fight between Supes and a worthy supervillain.

Mr Parker

ohhh okay,it all makes sense now.Now it makes sense WHY its called superman returns.that would make sense that its flashbacks he is having so that the newer audience has an idea of who he is.I guess they are thinking a lot of them that are seeing it never saw the original superman movie.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Syndicate_Lord

Damn it sure is if thats really true.Please be a false rumor. mad thats what turned me off to smallville is they had Lois Lane meeting clark in smallville and going to high school with him and living with him for crying out loud.If that really turns out to be true that she has married to Perry White,well thats ONE MORE comicbook movie hollywood has screwed up. mad that would for sure be equally as stupid as Lois Lane living with clark in smallville and meeting him there.

BlackC@
She didn't marry Perry White! She married his nephew, played by James Marsden.

Syndicate_Lord
That's SO pathetically copying Spider-Man with MJ and john!

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Mr Parker
ohhh okay,it all makes sense now.Now it makes sense WHY its called superman returns.that would make sense that its flashbacks he is having so that the newer audience has an idea of who he is.I guess they are thinking a lot of them that are seeing it never saw the original superman movie.

thumb up

Originally posted by BlackC@
She didn't marry Perry White! She married his nephew, played by James Marsden.

thumb up

Syndicate_Lord
Thank God... Lois and Perry would be like MJ and JJ!

Mr Parker
Yeah I agree.Yeah thank god its his nephew and not him,now THATS acceptable for me as a fan of superman.Unlike In Smallville where Lois meets Clark in smallville while he is still in high school and lives with him for god sakes. mad after that happened,that was the last straw for me and I stopped watching that show last year.Yeah thank god its his nephew because Perry White and Lois Lane together married would just ruin the whole thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.