Best Star Wars "No!"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chinabing
The best "No!" in Star Wars. (Also known as "Noooo!"wink

Rampant ox
What were you thinking whoever voted for the Qui-Gons death NO! That had practically no emotion. I voted for Lukes NO, it has far more emotion and meaning. Its when Luke is starting to give in to his anger, and is losing control of his emotions. One of my fav parts of ROTJ actually.

NoFate007
I'd say its a tie between Qui-Gon's death, "I am your father" from Empire, and the one from ROTJ. The reason that I voted for the Qui-Gon one though is because the music helped build it up and Obi-Wan never lost his stamina in it. Luke seems too calm in ROTJ to pull off that "Nooo!" out of nowhere, but Obi-Wan was sweating bullets and shaking like all hell before that happened. It just seemed more realistic to me.

DeVi| D0do
TPM.

Tarvos
PM was a good no. Other than that, the best one listed was the RotJ one.

aj_vader
has to be the "I Am Your Father" Scene or failing that Obi-Wan in the Phantom Menace

Rampant ox
I have to agree that the "I am your father one" is good but i dont like Lukes face in that scene. And how can you keep voting for TPM. It may lead up to a good fight but the NO itself was pretty crappy. My fav is still the NO in ROTJ. The way he jumps out from behind the pillar and attacks Vader is excellent. And the music from that scene is my fav from the whole SW saga. Does anyone know what that music is called btw?

McCusto
ROTJ: Luke attacks Vader under the stairs

He isn't saying "No!" there, he is saying "Never!"

Rampant ox
Whatever he is saying it sounds cool. I thought it was just a shout of anger and didnt actually mean anything though. But hey im probably wrong. Ill have to go back and check.

((The_Anomaly))
He's not saying never...lol

Luke says NO under the stairs...and its the best NO! in the SW saga, although Obi-Wan's NO! when Qui-Gon died was pretty good too.

Rampant ox
Im just happy nobody has voted for Dath Vaders NO in ROTS. That is the most putrid thing I have ever heard in my life!!

Tarvos
Same with me... the best shout of anger by Anakin is his "I hate you!".

Jedi Priestess
TESB: Luke at discovering his parentage

Sith Master X
I always thought Luke said "No" under the stairs as well, but he does in fact say "Never." Gotta pay close attention to it.

Anyway, I like Palpatine's "No" before zaping Windu the best.

Rampant ox
I quite like the NO from Anakins rush at Dooku. It gives makes me extremely happy to see Anakin electrocuted and thrown against the wall like that (he is such a cocky bastard). It also has Count Dooku in that scene which makes it one of the better sequences. But it still doesnt surpass Lukes NO/NEVER in ROTJ

JaehSkywalker
I like Obi-wan's. Don't ask why.

Captain REX
I'm torn between ESB and ROTJ.

aj_vader
Originally posted by Rampant ox
I have to agree that the "I am your father one" is good but i dont like Lukes face in that scene. And how can you keep voting for TPM. It may lead up to a good fight but the NO itself was pretty crappy. My fav is still the NO in ROTJ. The way he jumps out from behind the pillar and attacks Vader is excellent. And the music from that scene is my fav from the whole SW saga. Does anyone know what that music is called btw?

The Music doesn't really have a theme name, its just a brilliant cue when Luke attacks Vader. Its located on track 7 on the Return Of The Jedi OST (Double CD version).

Track 7 - The Battle Of Endor II (Leia Is Wounded/The Duel Begins/Overtaking The Bunker/The Dark Side Beckons/The Emperor's Death)

I think the part that were focusing on is "The Dark Side Beckons" part.

But Yes I totally agree its definatley one of the best music cues in the Star Wars Trilogy wink

Captain REX
I fully agree. It's haunting and dramatic, perfect for the moment.

Rampant ox
Thanks. I was starting to think it was just me who likes it. I also like that part because it is Vaders final duel. The music coupled with the scene is just amazing.

Sith Master X
John Williams never disappoints.

Tangible God
I'd say Luke's NO in ESB. That one had the most emotion in it, sounded really heart-felt, even more than Obi's.

chinabing
Ack! In ROTJ, the close-captioning on my 95 WS VHS has Luke saying "Never!" under the stairs! But no way does he say that. The yell is one syllable, absolutely. It sound like a combination of "No!" and "Naah!" although not so nasal as "Naah" usually sounds. I'd definitely call it a "No!"

But I never liked ROTJ at that moment because Vader's helmet wobbles.

Tangible God
I actually hear him say Never, the "V" is clear to me.

darth vraya
It be said in my profile

DeVi| D0do
The Annotated Sceenplays says it's "No!" in ROTJ... It sounds more like a "Naaeergh!" to me...

Stun
ROTJ for mecool

Vader "If you will not turn to the darkside, then perhaps......she....WILL!"

Luke "Dont you go using my sister bi-atch! i mean NOOOO!" laughing out loud

Alliance
I also choose TPM which is remarkable because I think most of it was horrible dialogue (well, its Star Wars) and bad acting (well, again its Star Wars). But it was the most convincing. I cant choose ESB because i swear Luke's face is going to melt off. Palps in ROTS was by far the wierdest one!. ROTJ gets my second vote that I don't have.

Darth Orcus
Although not delivered as well as others, the "No!" expressed by Vader on hearing of Padme's death works best for me on paper. Great example of irony (poetic justice?) and cause and effect. The one reason he eventually turns to the dark side is to avoid her future death. Ironically this ends up being the very cause of her death (directly or indirectly). Even Robert McKee would, no doubt, approve the character arc... A good example of his description of "disillusionment plot".

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Alliance
I also choose TPM which is remarkable because I think most of it was horrible dialogue (well, its Star Wars) and bad acting (well, again its Star Wars). But it was the most convincing. I cant choose ESB because i swear Luke's face is going to melt off. Palps in ROTS was by far the wierdest one!. ROTJ gets my second vote that I don't have.

I cant see how you can vote for that terrible TPM No. It was discusting. However I agree with you completely about Lukes face in ESB. It looks like his lips are going to fall off his face. It wasnt a pretty sight and ruined the moment.

Ritalbringer
ROTJ's one -> Luke vs Vader

chinabing
Don't be too hard on Hamill for scrunching his face at that moment in TESB. His reaction is perfect, and that's part of why it's one of the most famous moments in film history.

sithsaber408
Indeed, which is why it got my vote. wink

Close second goes to Obi-wan loosing his master.

Spartan005
Don't blame Luke for the face in ESB. He can't help the fact that he's ugly laughing

Anyway I'd have to go with the "NO" in ROTJ... which is also probably my favorite Star Wars movie

Alliance
Originally posted by chinabing
Don't be too hard on Hamill for scrunching his face at that moment in TESB. His reaction is perfect, and that's part of why it's one of the most famous moments in film history.

I've seen him do better expressions. Its not entirely his fault. A lot of it has to do with the strange camera movement and the fact that Lucas didn't do something better with it.

Though, I would HARDLY call it one of the greatest moments in film history. The "Luke, I am your father" part yes, but not the squirmy reaction.

darth vraya
I also choose TPM which is remarkable because I think most of it was horrible dialogue (well, its Star Wars) and bad acting (well, again its Star Wars). But it was the most convincing. I cant choose ESB because i swear Luke's face is going to melt off. Palps in ROTS was by far the wierdest one!. ROTJ gets my second vote that I don't have. It sounded like palps was constipated

chinabing
Though, I would HARDLY call it one of the greatest moments in film history. The "Luke, I am your father" part yes, but not the squirmy reaction.

Oh come on, you're really splittin' hairs. The reaction is everything. Every action needs a reaction. It's like the first stage in the 5 stages of loss. Denial, bargaining, etc. Besides, Luke's whole world been blown away. If anyone, anytime had a right to scrunch his face, Luke did! Well, he and Nancy Kerrigan.

Eleonora
The most dramatic one must be the one from TESB, although at first I was torn between this one and the ROTJ one.

Sesse
"I love you."
"I no."

Happy Dance

Paranoid Pyro
TPM Obi-Wan: "NOOOOOOOOO."

happy

PVS
as said before, and was apparently ignored, luke did NOT scream "no" in RotJ. read the subtitles.

chinabing
It wasn't ignored, it was the topic of many posts! You can't, however, change a poll once it's started.

Our clues are it sounds like "No!" and the annoted screenplay says it's a "No!" Then again the close-captioning says it's a "Never!" and so do many people.

What does the actor's mouth do? Does it move up and down with the sound of two syllables, or just open wide for a one-syllable interjection? Well, it's dark and it's hard to see! Hamill's arm comes up covering his mouth for a moment, then the shadow of his arm does the same, (J'ever notice in SW mouths are often covered by arms to make dubbing easier?) I'd bet Lucas most assuredly dubbed the word, so what we're watching is probably not what was yelled on the set.

I always thought it was "No!" because you never saw his mouth move twice in the "Never!" motion. But it's not that clear. It's either a very poorly pronounced "No!" or a very bad "Never!"

If I had a mixer and could slow it down that might help. I think I still have the ROTJ storybook in LP somewhere and I could take it to a DJ!

rubinator
what about anakins no in ROTS right before he cuts of windus hand

aj_vader
Originally posted by Rampant ox
Thanks. I was starting to think it was just me who likes it. I also like that part because it is Vaders final duel. The music coupled with the scene is just amazing.

im suprised that wasnt in the list, because it aint all that bad :P

P.S. If theres one person who has contributed to Star Wars throughout all Six episodes that hasnt let me down, It has to be John Williams by far, hes the best!!!

PVS
Originally posted by chinabing
Our clues are it sounds like "No!" and the annoted screenplay says it's a "No!" Then again the close-captioning says it's a "Never!" and so do many people.

i dont think it sounds anything like "no". sounds more like "darth" imho

granted, it should have been "no"

RogerRamjet
Luke in ep. V of course... roll eyes (sarcastic)

MEDVOCK
I liked Darth Vader's NOOOOOO!!! the best.

chinabing
Originally posted by PVS
i dont think it sounds anything like "no". sounds more like "darth" imho
granted, it should have been "no"

Maybe Hamill was sick and tired of saying "No!" He put his foot down and said "Dammit George, can't I say something different?!"

Alliance
"NO!"

Mišt
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
TESB: Luke at discovering his parentage

Lord Mader
I am your father and Darth vader discovering padme died

Sesse
What about Yodas Nos?

1) "No, No, Noooo, stay and help you I will"
2) "Nooo! Nooooooooo!" "R2, let him have it..."
3) "Is the darkside stronger?" "No, no..."

chinabing
Yoda has a cute nose.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.