Final Fantasy vs Elder Scrolls (Oblivion)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaptainStoic
I know that just typing in Final Fantasy is a little vague, because there were so many games made, so I'll leave it up to you to decide which Final Fantasy you think is better or nearly as good.

In terms of pure fun, and replay value which one would you say is the superior game, and why? Could the Champion of RPG's have future competition in an upstart franchise, or has first blood already been drawn?

H. S. 6
While I don't know if it's possible to fairly judge these together, seeing as they're two different genre of game, I'd have to go with Oblivion on a "fun factor," mainly because of its real-time action.

Phat J
they're both rpg's are they not?

final fantasy's just linear where as oblivion's more of a do what you want type of rpg.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Phat J
they're both rpg's are they not?

final fantasy's just linear where as oblivion's more of a do what you want type of rpg.

Sure, RPG's, but worlds apart. Oblivion is real-time action, while the Final Fantasy series is a turn-based strategy game. In truth, they aren't fairly comparable, in my opinion. erm

Koala MeatPie
And if you look RIGHT ontop of this forum you see a... "Game Vs Forum".

Use it...

Lana
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
And if you look RIGHT ontop of this forum you see a... "Game Vs Forum".

Use it...

No, this thread does NOT go in the Vs forum, as that's for matches between game characters. Not "which game series do you prefer".

MadMel
...id say FF...ive never played elder scrolls so....

H. S. 6
Originally posted by MadMel
...id say FF...ive never played elder scrolls so....

Then how in hell can you compare?

Koala MeatPie
Then why is it called "games Versus Forum" ? confused

Lana
Because "Game characters vs" is long?

Koala MeatPie
And "Computer / Video Games Discussion " is not...?

You could Abrivate Versus to Vs.

"Game Characters Vs Forum"

Lana
Does it matter what the exact title of the forum is?

Read the rules thread in there.

It's generally understood and implied that it's a character vs. forum. Same with SW and Comics VS.

Morridini
Originally posted by Lana
No, this thread does NOT go in the Vs forum, as that's for matches between game characters. Not "which game series do you prefer".

Actually I once asked with a poll which Red Alert game people like the most in the "Computer / Video Games Discussion" section, and a Mod moved it to the "Games 'Versus' Forum" and told me to always post that kinda topics there.

Lana
I cannot remember doing that, so it must have been before I was a mod (not to mention the fact that a search yields nothing).

Stealth
I'd have to go with Final Fantasy, I prefer Turn Based Combat over Real Time... Plus, I like the storylines of almost all the Final Fantasy games and characters you get to control...

BackFire
These games can't be compared, they're on the opposite sides of the RPG spectrum. And they are both excellent at what they do.

Morridini
I cannot remember doing that, so it must have been before I was a mod (not to mention the fact that a search yields nothing).

Sorry, my memory was a little faulty. I was asking for which Command & Conquer game was best, and I dunno if the guy who said it was in the wrong place was a Mod or not (he isn't a mod now at least). http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331937

Lana
Yeah, a long time ago, different mod stick out tongue

Morridini
So for the future: comparing games is not to be put in the Versus section, is that so?

Lana
Nope. Threads like this where you're asking what sort of games you like better should go in the VG forum proper.

MadMel
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Then how in hell can you compare?

Originally posted by Stealth
I'd have to go with Final Fantasy, I prefer Turn Based Combat over Real Time... Plus, I like the storylines of almost all the Final Fantasy games and characters you get to control...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said..thats how i can compare stick out tongue

Morridini
Well u said u hadn't played Oblivion so that means u cant compare.

Mišt
FF is awesome for old school RPG playing, turn based, dice rolling, storylines, various characters.....its classic RPing at its best.

Oblivion is awesome for the run and gun type of RPGer, sometimes I dont want to sit and watch cutscenes and follow a linear game for 30 hours, finish it, then have to replay the whole thing again when I start a new game. Oblivion is so open you can live a single game for months, then totally change your character and play through the opposite or start fresh.

But....you cant really compare them as RPGs...it depends on what type of gamer you are....I'd give them both 10/10.

thegmeister53

Mišt
I do want to, cause Oblivion has been the best RPG game I've ever played and I spent good money just to play it right, but I dont want to be biased seeing as I've only ever played one FF stick out tongue

I do like old school turn based RPGs though, especially ones that play off cool franchises like KOTOR and The Third Age, because theres a nice satisfaction once you've kicked a boss's ass after spending 4 hours trying to kill the damn thing. Its a lot of fun when your character can do a lot of damage, but the luck of a dice roll determines your fate. Otherwise you just beef up your character and hack your way through.

Lana
KOTOR's not turn-based, what the hell have you been playing? stick out tongue

I've never played Oblivion or any of the Elder Scrolls games, but I'm a huge FF fan. So I'll leave my judgment until I've played Oblivion.

Morridini
KOTOR's not turn-based, what the hell have you been playing? stick out tongue

It isn't actually Real time either. U do stop time to decide what to do and then watch the commands unfold (when the characters decide to actually do what I tell them to do, that rarely happened to any of the characters I didn't directly control).

Lana
Yeah, it's kind of a meld of the two. You decide what you're doing in a turn-based style, but then it unfolds real-time.

I hated that, you go to control another character and they all decide to do their own thing.

WrathfulDwarf
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion wins!

(but only because I'm playing it right now and I haven't touch a FF game since 1999)

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by CaptainStoic
I know that just typing in Final Fantasy is a little vague, because there were so many games made, so I'll leave it up to you to decide which Final Fantasy you think is better or nearly as good.

In terms of pure fun, and replay value which one would you say is the superior game, and why? Could the Champion of RPG's have future competition in an upstart franchise, or has first blood already been drawn? Which final fantasy is better or which game between those 2 choices is better? Oblivion is not a final fantasy game.

CaptainStoic
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
Which final fantasy is better or which game between those 2 choices is better? Oblivion is not a final fantasy game.

I started this thread, because for the past decade, I've been a Final Fantasy nut, I loved almost every game except 9, (that's the one with the kid that has the fox tail right? Well I didn't really care too much for that one.) one day while out shopping, I picked up Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind, I never imagined how good the game was until I saw the enviroments, and right away I thought that Square had better do something, or they may be dethroned as the kings of producing fantasy RPG's.

My thoughts of this game led me to also think of the possibilities that a game of this type could produce, the open endedness was something that I had always wanted Final Fantasy to be like, and then Bethesda decides to one up themselves by making a superior game, the only thing in my opinion that they have yet to do in order to sink Final Fantasy is to create a larger beastiary.

I just wanted to ask peoples opinions on whether or not they thought Oblivion had better replay value, and whether or not it is more fun to play than any Final Fantasy game that they have played so far. I'm not asking you to compare to two in terms of what type of RPG, but more on fun factor, sound, replay value... etc... those types of things.

Mišt
Depends on the game style you want to play, I picked up Morrowind because it was exactly the kind of game I wanted to play. And Oblivion improved ten fold over that. This is what I want to play, where everything is in my direct control. If I want to go spastic and throw cups and plates and food everywhere, I'll do it. If I dont like a town guard, Ill throw a fireball at him. I wear what I want, I wield what I want. There are no restrictions. As opposed to FF, where you are confined to a set game pre-planned by the developers. You can only wear certain clothes, use certain weapons, walk along certain paths. Some people like that, some people dont. Theres no comparison between the two games.

My thoughts: (yep, this is gonna be biased...).

Fun factor - Depends what you're into. I've spent 34 hours in Oblivion without starting the main quest, I havent even seen an Oblivion gate yet, Im just walking through the environment, killing stuff, collecting stuff, just having a blast at what freedom I have. I'd take a stab and say I've touched about 1/10th of the game itself, not the actual gameworld environment.....god, I havent even scratched the surface of that. So yeah, the fun factor is unmeasurable for me. If I spent 34 hours in a FF game ( I dont know how long an average FF game is) I'd take a guess that I'd be at least halfway through the game, as in, completely halfway through...tried out everything I possibly can do. Everyday when I load up Oblivion, I think 'What can I do today?' and everytime I exit it, I think 'What can I do tomorrow?'. I started a fight in town and had 9 guards attack me, just cause I felt like it at that moment and to see what happens.

Sound - Cant remember a FF game erm Oblivion - its cool, but nothing to wet my pants about. Reminds me of Pirates of the Caribeean.

Replay value - FF: Depends how many times you can play through it and not get sick of the same thing over and over. Oblivion: You cant possibly replay the same game twice. Even if you tried. Yes, you can do the same quests, but you could pull them off in so many different ways. Hell, one of the Dark Brotherhood missions (the dinner party) you could play again and again and again and try out so many new things each time and not get sick of it.

I need someone to come in and rant on FF for comparison shifty

IcePunk
the games are way too different to decide which is the best FFS

MadMel
i think everyones has got that message by now...even me

thegmeister53

Mišt
Wish I did thatsad Best mission ever.

thegmeister53
Best part was telling the old lady I was an assassin and watching her laugh. big grin

Mišt
laughing out loud I did that one in the other mission where you have to kill the family members, I told the Inn keeper I killed his mother, and he got pissed off and attacked me, then the guard finished him off for assault...so funnybig grin

SaTsuJiN
if I had to say.. I would give the award to the elderscrolls series.. simply because japanese tend to stick to the 'tried and true'... i.e. pokemon.. yugioh.. and their many similar RPG's and card battle games..

if we sat down to think about it.. FF hasnt changed that much.. which may and may not be a bad thing... for me personally, re-invention is key to success.. and in this case.. the elderscrolls has done that with every game they make.. true the production value becomes high, but I think in the end we wind up with a more satisfactory and more importantly replayable product.. replay value is key when we are forking out 50 dollars per game.. isnt it?

like mist stated.. with FF if you want to 'replay' you have to sit through all the same cutscenes and story again.. which can be a burn to some players

with the coming of FFXII, it seems they're taking a page from FFXI's book and having pseudo real time combat.. (active time battle mixed with free movement of your character)... so hopefully they'll actually try a final fantasy that has real time combat... I would definately enjoy that (and no, not the "X-button mashing" of KH series, as gametrailers put it).. heres hoping that we dont have to wait until FF XXXXX to see that happen smile

Joseph_Kerr
Seriously... Oblivion has no replay value since the game is so stinking huge. I've played Morrowind for 3 months and haven't even finished it yet, not to mention the two expansions. I'm not joking... but I really believe to in order to explore all of Oblivion that it may take me a year before I have every crook and cranny solved.

I've never played FF, but after playing morrowind... I had absolutely no problem buying a xbox360, game, and book for $500 just to play one single game. (I preordered the game a month before it came out, and I just got my xbox360 on thursday... so I had the game before I even had the console to play it on).

I know of three others who soley bought a 360 just for Oblivion.. all of the FF for PS2 that came with the hard drive.. we sent them all back because we only sold 2 copies (I work for Wal-Mart in the Electronics dept). So, in my opinion that tells me which game is the King of rpg's. smile

Joseph_Kerr
See.. here I go again. You can't compare the two.. I don't think "replay" value is a good way to compare the two games. Let me change some of the stance... yes Oblivion has replay value if you want to be a different character... you can even change the outcome to certain events... it seems to me that some things have 2-3 different outcomes depending on what route you take.. so yes.. it does have replay value... but my God.... after 6 months of playing a game... when the other may take you a month.. how can you compare the two. wink

Phat J
i havent even played oblivion and i like it more. id even say morrowind was better than any FF game ive played, and ive played 7 through 10.

SaTsuJiN
I didnt merely judge by replay value... I also took "reinvention" into consideration.. which I think is the foundation of a franchise's success

Mišt
Bethesda take a lot of input from fans as well and incorporate ideas into the game, so the end result is pretty much what we want to see, Im not sure if FF takes any fan input into it or not, but thats why I like Bethesda, they listen to what we want and improve parts we dont like.

Fierce Deity
OBLIVION! duh!

Swirly Girl
WTF? Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall and Arena all WTFpwn FF...

da_rpg_gangsta
Both are different rpg's, both follow different criterias and both has their upside and downside. Oblivion's options give you are very good for example, making your own magic spells. This game also gives you the option similar to grand theft auto where you can kill innocent people. You can steal almost anything in the game and the game has great graphics. Final Fantasy XI which is the only FF game that can closely relate to the game has a better story plot, better character options, and it is one of few square-enix games that has so many other things to do other then follow the stroy line. The downside of Oblivion is that the story plot is poorly though out that the creators had to make so much crap you can do and the lack of creativity of the characters. The downside of Final Fantasy XI is that it is very difficult spells are so limited. Final Fantasy XI does not have as much options as Oblivion but it does not dilute the main focus of completing the game.

GrayFoxx
Although I have played many of the FF games, I think they could be equal. What one game lacks in the other exceeds. I think I would play both over again. wink

thegmeister53
Originally posted by da_rpg_gangsta
Both are different rpg's, both follow different criterias and both has their upside and downside. Oblivion's options give you are very good for example, making your own magic spells. This game also gives you the option similar to grand theft auto where you can kill innocent people. You can steal almost anything in the game and the game has great graphics. Final Fantasy XI which is the only FF game that can closely relate to the game has a better story plot, better character options, and it is one of few square-enix games that has so many other things to do other then follow the stroy line. The downside of Oblivion is that the story plot is poorly though out that the creators had to make so much crap you can do and the lack of creativity of the characters. The downside of Final Fantasy XI is that it is very difficult spells are so limited. Final Fantasy XI does not have as much options as Oblivion but it does not dilute the main focus of completing the game.

I personally think that Oblivion has a terrific storyline. Over 1,000 npcs and they all have a different personality. I don't understand how having multiple options in the game "dilutes the main focus." It's not actually possible to complete Oblivion. There is always something new to do, the developers didn't want it to actually have a main focus. The whole point is to be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want.Even if you were to complete all the quests, you could roleplay as a vampire hunter or monk and still have an awesome time.

How does Final Fantasy have better character options? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you limited to picking your class in Final Fantasy, unlike Oblivion where you can pick or create your own?Your points about Final Fantasy are all subjective, everyone has different standards for a good storyline and interesting characters.

da_rpg_gangsta
In Final Fantasy XI Online, you are able to change and create your character. What I mean is, you can customize how your character looks and you can chooses races. You can combine two job classes to get double the benefits. I can create a character that looks exactly like me if I wanted to. What your trying to say is that all FF are the same but their not. The games are not suppose to be sequels from each other.

thegmeister53
I know they're not supposed to be sequels to each other. That's why almost every game has different characters, but that still doesn't give it better options. You don't need to pick a job class in Oblivion, instead you just find something you want to do, like hunting deer. Having to pick a job class just limits your options.

Tassadar
Morrowind is my favorite RPG, and I think all the FF games after 5 sucked, do the math

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.