Chaos Theory.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blaxican_Hydra
Whats your view on Chaos theory? Do you think it's a sound theory? And for those of you who don't know what chaos theory is:

Look it up. I'm to lazy to describe it.

Janus Marius
Chaos theory doesn't truly propose that there's no order to things. But rather, things are beyond our ability to predict; however, there is an underlying order to all things.

But then, I'm kind of behind on my knowledge of the theory, so that may be off a bit.

Mindship
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Chaos theory doesn't truly propose that there's no order to things. But rather, things are beyond our ability to predict; however, there is an underlying order to all things.

That's what so interesting about "chaos" theory: there appears to be order "underneath" apparent chaos. It's key to understanding, for example, the Butterfly Effect.

Evil Dead
crappy Ashton Kutcher movies?

ok......I just felt like posting but didn't have anything to contribute.....sorry about that.

debbiejo
Ok how about "Is there organized Chaos?"

Janus Marius
Originally posted by Mindship
That's what so interesting about "chaos" theory: there appears to be order "underneath" apparent chaos. It's key to understanding, for example, the Butterfly Effect.

Yep. The butterfly flaps its wings, rain in Peking.

It's an interesting theory. Do you think it's hard determinist or indeterminist though?

Shakyamunison
We build a house. We think we have made order out of chaos. Years go by and the house falls to ruin, we think order has gone away and chaos has returned. However, chaos is not disorder, it is a higher order. So when the house falls down the material becomes chaotic in its relationship to its self. The house has gone from order to more order. This contradicts the concept that order moves to disorder.

Janus Marius
Yes, I agree that it's a natural order. Or to the laymen, a natural process, by which things break down and recycle into the ecosystem.

Shakyamunison
Yes, I agree that it's a natural order. Or to the laymen, a natural process, by which things break down and recycle into the ecosystem.

That is not what I mean. The boards nailed to the wall took energy to go from sitting in a pile to being on the wall. So, there is more order to the boards on the wall, then those in the pile. However, when they fall off the wall they do not become less ordered, but become chaotic.

Janus Marius
Yes, but there's still a sense of order behind the deterioration. We as human beings would not quite see the order in a ruined house but it's still there.

Shakyamunison
Yes, but there's still a sense of order behind the deterioration. We as human beings would not quite see the order in a ruined house but it's still there.

Yes, but it is a higher form of order.

Janus Marius
Not manmade, but universal, yes.

Mindship
It's hard to say what "order" might ultimately be--outside of what humans think it means--because we don't know the Metaprinciple to the universe (self-organization?). The current paradigm suggests there is one...otherwise physicist are wasting their time trying to unify everything.

Mysticism would say the metaprinciple is self-organization, leading to higher levels of consciousness, culminating in (what else) "God."

But even w/o bringing in all that stuff, self-organization implies (at least in part) finding equilibrium among the myriad forces.

I don't know. If I did, I'd have a Nobel Prize on my mantle, and hell, I don't even have a mantle.

Janus Marius
I do, but it's a fake one. We have a little fake fireplace with a mantel on top. You should get one.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
It's hard to say what "order" might ultimately be--outside of what humans think it means--because we don't know the Metaprinciple to the universe (self-organization?). The current paradigm suggests there is one...otherwise physicist are wasting their time trying to unify everything.

Mysticism would say the metaprinciple is self-organization, leading to higher levels of consciousness, culminating in (what else) "God."

But even w/o bringing in all that stuff, self-organization implies (at least in part) finding equilibrium among the myriad forces.

I don't know. If I did, I'd have a Nobel Prize on my mantle, and hell, I don't even have a mantle.

I'm sure if you got a Nobel Prize, a mantle would come with it.

Atlantis001

ðµhµl gê†ñåh
Yep. The butterfly flaps its wings, rain in Peking.

It's an interesting theory. Do you think it's hard determinist or indeterminist though?

ugh no offense to u at all.
i just cant stand things like that, on this planet it is always raining, there are always butterflies,

there are always toe nail clippings and children being born: now when ppl clip their toe nails, does this mean that a baby is born?

see its jsut illogical ... wait.... illogical+chaos=chaos theory+order.

now im mad....

OK OK i figured it out... the chaos theory is that it itself (the theory) creates the chaos which is only to be subsequently ordered into a system: therefore the chaos theory's (chaos) is actually order indisguise.

kk im gonna go lay down now that one took a lot outa me lol rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.