Alcoholism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tangible God
I was just at an AA meeting, (to observe) and the term Alcoholism was used quite extensively. Alcoholism has been diagnosed as a clinical illness and disease for some time now. Does anyone actually know why it was given such a title, since it isn't actually a virus or bacteria? Personally I feel it's more of an excuse so that alcoholics won't be too hard on themselves, but that's just me. Any thoughts?

Soleran
It's a Disease! eek!

DiamondBullets
That's a good question--there's no such word as "tobaccoism" or "crackism", so why alcoholism?

btw: Why were you observing the meeting?

Janus Marius
Cuz TG's one of them...

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5607/21stbirthdaygeft3ef.jpg

I think because the love of alcohol is so prevalent, giving it an "ism" makes it seem more like a medical condition and less like an addiction on par with drugs.

Alpha Centauri
I've always wondered about that, Bullets.

People add "-aholic" to any kind of addiction. Someone is an alcoholic because they're addicted to alcohol. People say gameaholic and chocoholic, stupid. No such thing as game- nor chocohol. Most famously depicted my Homer Simpson.

-AC

Soleran
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
That's a good question--there's no such word as "tobaccoism" or "crackism", so why alcoholism?

btw: Why were you observing the meeting?

In all fairness though there is crack addict, heroin addict etc etc its a way for these people to get free time off work and counseling for a troubled childhood! eek! Or probably not.....................just sounds like they have no self control and seek to escape their little reality.

debbiejo
Some great poets were said to be so...............and Authors as well, you decide what it is and what it isn't.

Tangible God
Originally posted by DiamondBullets

btw: Why were you observing the meeting? Free donuts and coffee.

My own theory is based around the fact that there's alot of prescription and over the counter drugs associated with Alcoholism, so it may be just one huge scam market.

Janus Marius
I wasn't aware of any, really. But that's still probably true.

debbiejo
I don't understand the stance on abuse.................because many great novels were written by peoply who had a few.................Though I guess this would again be subjective...............Look at what we have today..In old they had opium.( legal hey)..etc...and yet..they made novels that will be always be with us........In the late 1800's and early 1900'ss were doing drugs that are now illegal today..............don't judge...........Great poets and plays came from that time period...Even earleir.........opium........though things with circumstances have changed.
I know I'm off topic................You think Shakespeare was straight?...............No he wasn't.........................
There is abuse and not.................

Sometimes it makes a pretty dream/play.story/myth.

DiamondBullets
There's a stigma attached to people hooked on other shit, and they have various colorful nicknames such as "dirty smokers", "crackheads", and "junkies"--but alcohol addicts are called "alcoholics" like we're supposed to feel sorry for them erm.........

K.Diddy
I love a good drink! beer

botankus
I hate alcohol abuse. There's nothing I can't stand more than when a tap is activated longer than it should and there's too much overflow.

Mindship
People need to take more responsibility for their choices and behavior. But then, responsibility is the longest 4-letter word in the American language.

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
I don't understand the stance on abuse.................because many great novels were written by peoply who had a few.................Though I guess this would again be subjective...............Look at what we have today..In old they had opium.( legal hey)..etc...and yet..they made novels that will be always be with us........In the late 1800's and early 1900'ss were doing drugs that are now illegal today..............don't judge...........Great poets and plays came from that time period...Even earleir.........opium........though things with circumstances have changed.
I know I'm off topic................You think Shakespeare was straight?...............No he wasn't.........................
There is abuse and not.................

Sometimes it makes a pretty dream/play.story/myth. Well some of the best musicists are known to have been on drugs a lot as well....it seems to have some positive aspects.

But alcohol?....Don't see the point....

botankus
I agree about Bardock and Debs drug vs. alcohol parts. About the alcohol, though it's fun as hell to watch a sporting event on TV with some amber fluid, it's not exactly "the last piece of the puzzle" if you're trying to write the next New York Times Bestseller.

debbiejo
That's for sure...........when it gets into abuse a person can become quite usless.....in many areas... stick out tongue wink

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Tangible God
I was just at an AA meeting, (to observe) and the term Alcoholism was used quite extensively. Alcoholism has been diagnosed as a clinical illness and disease for some time now. Does anyone actually know why it was given such a title, since it isn't actually a virus or bacteria? Personally I feel it's more of an excuse so that alcoholics won't be too hard on themselves, but that's just me. Any thoughts?

I've known many people who suffer from this disease. Ive known a few that went so far as to drink sterno. Also, known many who lost their families and all their possesions. They call it a disease because there is no known cure for it. Once an addict always an addict. Or so the saying goes.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
I've known many people who suffer from this disease. Ive known a few that went so far as to drink sterno. Also, known many who lost their families and all their possesions. They call it a disease because there is no known cure for it. Once an addict always an addict. Or so the saying goes. In that case why isn't being addicted to smoking called Tobaccism? Or being hooked on crack called crackism?

That's what bugs me. They label one addiction as a disease and offer prescription drugs and pills for it, but they don't label the others. They did the same with obesity.

Jabba the Hutt
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I've always wondered about that, Bullets.

People add "-aholic" to any kind of addiction. Someone is an alcoholic because they're addicted to alcohol. People say gameaholic and chocoholic, stupid. No such thing as game- nor chocohol. Most famously depicted my Homer Simpson.

-AC

I was JUST thinking that.

K.Diddy
I say if your gonna drink,do it properly and get as blasted as you candrunk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.