Sentry vs. Gladiator

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Comicbook_kid
Don't know if this has been done already, and if it has then I apologize...but I've been wondering about this for a long time now...who would take the other in an all-out, no holds barred, fight...? Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments???
There's no prep, and the battle takes place on a small, moon sized planet...

grey fox
Sentry , he's too damn powerful for gladiator. It's like comparing SBP with SB

CaptainStoic
Yeah I'm starting to agree Sentry is pretty powerful, he seems powerful enought to make Gladiator feel fear, and you know what happens when Mohawk man gets scared right? They should explore Gladiator more, maybe even give him his own comic book, and a decent artist. Chris Claremont would be a great writer for him as well, due to his Uncanny X-Men run.

Lucid Lui
Keith Giffen penning and Ron Lim pencilling = My ideal team for a Gladiator mini. Giffen wrote him really well when he appeared in Thanos.

As for the fight, Sentry would probably win, but he's still too much of an unknown to say for sure.

nimrod009
I'd say Sentry too. Although Gladiator could be the kind of character to finally come out and punk him if he was confident enough, I just can't see it happening though.

joesha28
I think Sentry will intimidate him to Glads disadv.

CaptainStoic
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Keith Giffen penning and Ron Lim pencilling = My ideal team for a Gladiator mini. Giffen wrote him really well when he appeared in Thanos.

As for the fight, Sentry would probably win, but he's still too much of an unknown to say for sure.

You have a point Giffen and Lim are an amazing team. What's happened to Ron Lim though he seems to have slipped through the cracks. He was in my top five artists that ever drew the Silver Surfer.... has anyone noticed how much Jolene Blalock looks like one of Ron Lims drawings?

illadelph12
I think Sentry could possibly win, but I don't think he's going to strike fear in Gladiator's heart. When Galactus or Tyrant come knocking on the Shi'Ar's door, Gladiator's always the one that answers with his fists' flying, and then he simply gets overwhelmed because some people (though not a very large amount of people) are out of his league.

Gladiator is not a coward, if anything, he's overly arrogant, but he's written to job far too often. He's one of those measuring stick characters that have bad showings to put a powerful villain over as a viable threat.

He's like the Chris Benoit of comic books.

Soleran
It would be pretty cool to do a miniseries and Origins type comic on Gladiator. I mean how could something wipe out a race as powerful as his!

juggernaut66666
sentry wins

guy222
sentry

tkitna
Sentry

cmack
the sentry

endrict
Originally posted by grey fox
Sentry , he's too damn powerful for gladiator. It's like comparing SBP with SB

But Sentry hasn't made any feats to put him anywhere near the same level as SBP.

So nope, can't compare.

Erik-Lensherr
Sentry

Kurash
sentry for majority

Kutulu
Sentry for the win.

Galan007
Gladiator.

Priest
Bob

Comicbook_kid
After some impressive showings of power in WWH #5, I think Sentry probably would take this one...but it would be damn close. What do the rest of you think???

Power16
Gladiator ftw.

endrict
Gladiator FTW

quanchi112
Sentry wins..all day.

B.A
Originally posted by quanchi112
Sentry wins..all day. Quans funny.

quanchi112
Originally posted by B.A
Quans funny. How does he not.

llagrok
Gladiator.

Originally posted by Comicbook_kid
After some impressive showings of power in WWH #5, I think Sentry probably would take this one...but it would be damn close. What do the rest of you think???

Getting his ass kicked by the Hulk?
Creating "firestorms" that can't even burn through metal?

Real impressive.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by llagrok
Gladiator.

Real impressive.

...........ya to bad gladeator got his ass kick by a far weaker hulk..........

janus77
Sentry.
though both would lose to WWH if they slugged it out (and stalemate, otherwise).

Old-Wizard.com
Originally posted by janus77
Sentry.
though both would lose to WWH if they slugged it out (and stalemate, otherwise).

agreed

Badabing
Sentry's a poser. Gladiator wins all day.

moonknight11
Gladiator.

B.A
Originally posted by Battlehammer
...........ya to bad gladeator got his ass kick by a far weaker hulk.......... You mean by plot device.

Yeah nice logic.

Gecko4lif
...........ya to bad gladeator got his ass kick by a far weaker hulk..........
who?

batdude123
Originally posted by llagrok
Gladiator.

Real impressive.

He didn't get his ass kicked by Hulk.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by B.A
You mean by plot device.

Yeah nice logic.

plot device? Hulk walked right through his eye beam and kicked the shit out of him.............

batdude123
plot device? Hulk walked right through his eye beam and kicked the shit out of him.............

I think he means the fact that they fought within the proximity of a nuclear plant (or something like that). Gladiator has a weakness to radiation. However, that didn't happen until later in the fight iirc.

iceman24567
plot device? Hulk walked right through his eye beam and kicked the shit out of him............. Yeah because Gladiators eye beams aren't strong enough to knock the Hulk back ...yeah right.

batdude123
Originally posted by iceman24567
Yeah because Gladiators eye beams aren't strong enough to knock the Hulk back ...yeah right.

Apparently not. smile

Wonder Man
Sentry. He's to powerful.

Val
His eye beams burned through Hulk's chest but got blocked by his hand.

Personally, I lol'd.

batdude123
Originally posted by Val
His eye beams burned through Hulk's chest but got blocked by his hand.

Personally, I lol'd.

I bet you shit yourself you laughed so hard.

iceman24567
Originally posted by batdude123
Apparently not. smile That's stupid because his eye beams are on par with Tyrants which im sure would knock The Hulk back if not knock him out.

batdude123
That's stupid because his eye beams are on par with Tyrants which im sure would knock The Hulk back if not knock him out.

Lulz.

Val
I bet you shit yourself you laughed so hard.
Thank God I was sitting in a hot tub. smile

batdude123
Originally posted by Val
Thank God I was sitting in a hot tub. smile

That's why you disgust your partner.

iceman24567
Lulz. On par but nothing more right bull because the Surfer got fried by his eye beams. http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=silversurferv3082205rc.jpg

Wonder Man
Sentry is like the 100 percent hero except for his little mistake with the void. Gladiator is my favorite of the power guards but i think Sentry was made better. The hero's should have helped to make him re-adjust instead of just using him for their own means. He seems however to be making pace. As of right now i fig. he could out do Glads or Surfer.
He's more on par with Thanos in my opinion as far as hero level class goes.

Val
What the hell has he done to be considered on par with Thanos? confused

Wonder Man
Well first off a billion suns is at least Thanos level don't you think.

Val
no expression

Wonder Man
Most people say yeah right when they first meet Sentry...don't feel bad.

iceman24567
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Well first off a billion suns is at least Thanos level don't you think. I thought it was a million confused
http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/270909744_cd078aad8f.jpg

Wonder Man
Na pretty sure its a billion but exploding remember

Soljer
It varies from issue to issue between a million and a thousand.

It doesn't matter.

The Sentry hasn't done anything to put him anywhere near Thanos' level.

Wonder Man
oh sorry is it a million my ere

Wonder Man
In the 2000 limited series The Sentry, and its related one-shots, Bob Reynolds remembers that he is the Sentry, a superhero whose "power of one million exploding suns"
Sorry that's from Wikipedia million still is considerable

iceman24567
In the 2000 limited series The Sentry, and its related one-shots, Bob Reynolds remembers that he is the Sentry, a superhero whose "power of one million exploding suns"
Sorry that's from Wikipedia million still is considerable The power of one million suns sucks ass if that's the case.
http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/dogkick.jpg

SuperiorTech
Sorry that's from Wikipedia million still is considerable

Hulk didnt seem to impressed with it.

Battlehammer
Yeah because Gladiators eye beams aren't strong enough to knock the Hulk back ...yeah right.

ya and the power of million exploding suns is not enough to take down hulk........... roll eyes (sarcastic)

emporerpants
wonder man, that hole line about the power of thousand exploding suns is CLEARLY hyperbole.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by emporerpants
wonder man, that hole line about the power of thousand exploding suns is CLEARLY hyperbole.

been said many many times.............

emporerpants
your point? lots of thing have been said many many times.

Kurash
youd think the power of a million exploding suns would destroy a building or something . . .

emporerpants
indeed, or perhaps melt/destroy those blades the warbound used to dissipate it...

emporerpants
oh, and just so you know battlehammer, what kurash and i said has also been said many many times............

tkitna
Originally posted by Kurash
youd think the power of a million exploding suns would destroy a building or something . . .

But yet he and Genis were emitting enough energy to shatter worlds when they were fighting (while holding back).

Your statement isnt valid.

Battlehammer
Thank you tkitna

emporerpants
and yet an out of control sentry unleashing his full power couln't level more than a city block. maybe its your statement that isn't valid perhaps?

Kurash
Originally posted by tkitna
But yet he and Genis were emitting enough energy to shatter worlds when they were fighting (while holding back).

Your statement isnt valid.

goes both ways

tkitna
and yet an out of control sentry unleashing his full power couln't level more than a city block. maybe its your statement that isn't valid perhaps?

Maybe his rendering by Pak isnt valid, but regardless, i'll leave it to you and few others to post any possible low feat or negative aspect of the character that you see fit. Have fun.

emporerpants
imo, the whole world shattering thing maybe, just maybe, might have to be considered pis, seeing as how sentry has else even remotely close to it. he sure as hell didn't when he went all out on hulk.

tkitna
I consider the whole fight with Hulk PIS, but i'll leave that alone.

Battlehammer
.............nice use low end feats as the norm lol. WWH was beating every ones ass.

First off he has shown that kind of power before. He was stated to have stalemated galactus. Effortlessly break and unbreakable weapon, effortlessly break ever bone in hulks body. Using a fraction of his powers he was beat most of the marvel hero's on earth. He stalemated genis while holding back. Thats just a few.

emporerpants
well, i'll agree with you that the fight with hulk did have the smell of pis in it, especially with how retarded the sentry fought, what with just letting the hulk pound on him and all. still, i've come to accept that what marvel was basically saying in that fight is hulk > sentry.

Battlehammer
Maybe his rendering by Pak isnt valid, but regardless, i'll leave it to you and few others to post any possible low feat or negative aspect of the character that you see fit. Have fun.

ya it rather pathetic for them to use low end showings as the norm.\

When gladeator got eat by an even weaker version of hulk..........yet no one says anything about that lol.

tkitna
.............nice use low end feats as the norm lol. WWH was beating every ones ass.

First off he has shown that kind of power before. He was stated to have stalemated galactus. Effortlessly break and unbreakable weapon, effortlessly break ever bone in hulks body. Using a fraction of his powers he was beat most of the marvel hero's on earth. He like stated stalemated genis while holding back. Thats just a few.

Eh, forget it Hammer. Nobody wants to use common logic when hatred is the base of debate.

SuperiorTech
well, i'll agree with you that the fight with hulk did have the smell of pis in it, especially with how retarded the sentry fought, what with just letting the hulk pound on him and all. still, i've come to accept that what marvel was basically saying in that fight is hulk > sentry.

Well I think is was more Pak saying Hulk>Marvel

Battlehammer

actaully if you read what the writter said. He implied that If sentry had used his full potential he would have defeated hulk.............

Battlehammer
Eh, forget it Hammer. Nobody wants to use common logic when hatred is the base of debate.

ya.

Symmetric Chaos
actaully if you read what the writter said. He implied that If sentry had used his full potential he would have defeated hulk.............

Of course Hulk wasn't fighting at potential either.

emporerpants
so we're using the whole stalemating galactus thing now? you thing thats resonable? so you think that hulk > galactus then battlehammer?

tkitna
We're all beating a dead horse.

Anyways, Gladiator fighting Sentry is a book i'd lay cash down to read. It would be a good fight for sure.

Battlehammer
so we're using the whole stalemating galactus thing now? you thing thats resonable? so you think that hulk > galactus then battlehammer?

no and I think basing one fight as the norm is rediculous. Like your doing.

And the writter even said sentry was not using his full potential.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Of course Hulk wasn't fighting at potential either.

actaully the writter said nothing about hulk not fighting to full potential.....

SuperiorTech
no and I think basing one fight as the norm is rediculous. Like your doing.

And the writter even said sentry was not using his full potential.

He never said that sentry was not using his full potential.

emporerpants
i agree, a sentry and glads fight would be awesome.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by SuperiorTech
He never said that sentry was not using his full potential.

really im pritty posotive that what he said in the interview. Which is flooting around here some were

SuperiorTech
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=136412

Symmetric Chaos
actaully the writter said nothing about hulk not fighting to full potential.....

Cool. But if we actually read the comic itself it is very obvious that moments later we see Hulk become ridiculously more powerful than in his fight vs Sentry.

emporerpants
i'm curious battlehammer, what do you think of the whole helicarrier and ultorn fiasco that sentry was involved in?

emporerpants
because, for one, statlemating galactus is total bullshit. you know that. also, breaking something thats unbreakable? the only reason anything is stated to be unbreakable is so that someone can break it and look tough. plenty of people have broken "unbreakable" things. is it a decent feat for sentry? sure. is it a testament to him being some uuber unstopable guy? ask hulk.

and for a guy that can supposedly beat most of the marvel heros using only a fraction of his power, he sure seemed to be having trouble with ultron...maybe he should have used another fraction.

it also seems to me that someone of such incredible power should have perhaps been able to do something more about that helicarrier...but oh well, he stalemated galcactus right?

one more thing, he was involved in civil war right? what, exactly, did he do in it? don't' get me wrong, sentry is very powerful, i think he's a decent character. he's just not this all powerful be all and end all of superheros. do i think he could take glads? maybe. it would be a good fight that i'd love to see.

SuperiorTech
To be fair they are not very consistent with his power levels everyone has low showings but they dont seem to know how powerful they want him to be.

emporerpants
thats just it, they don't know powerful they want him to be. they have come out and said that hulk > sentry though, for the most part. i think putting him at around glad's range is acceptable. in my post i was simply taking issue with battlehammer claiming that i was using only one fight to base my opinion.

tkitna
i'm curious battlehammer, what do you think of the whole helicarrier and ultorn fiasco that sentry was involved in?

I'm not BattleHammer, but i'd like to comment anyways. The helicarrier feat? Well, everybody and their brother uses this as Sentrys low spot. I still think he was trying to save everybodys life in the helicarrier by attempting a soft landing. I cant say this for sure. Nobody except Bendis can explain it. Maybe Sentry was weakened from his fight with Ultron? Cant say for sure. I would think he could lift a helicarrier though. Have you ever read his mini-series when he opens the vault door to the room he supposedly keeps the Void in? That thing must have weighed however many tons and he opened it with one arm as effortlessly as one of us would open a cupboard door. Something doesnt sit right with the helicarrier ordeal.

As for Ultron. Can I ask you why you would think Ultron is a pushover? Around this forum, it appears as if everybody thinks any hero should be able to beat Ultron, yet this character has a long history of being a team wrecker. I'm talking teams with Thor, Iron Man, Vision, etc,,,. Heavy hitters! This new version of Ultron also appears to be beyond physical harm as the Sentry (fighting her solo by the way as the other Avengers were humbled) caved her head in a couple different times and snapped her neck, but she shook that off like it was nothing. It just kills me that people use Ultron as a low feat. Like they've never read any books with Ultron in them before. Oh well, i'll never get over that.

(Sentry is being set up for failure again by Bendis in Mighty Avengers #6. He rips Ultrons head off, but Ares had injected her with a virus so i'm sure this will be used as a low feat also.)

quanchi112
I dont know how anyone could see Gladiator winning this.

emporerpants
the thing tkitna, is sentry is really as powerful as battlehammer claims, he shouldn't have had a problem with ANY of that stuff. the point is, as superior tech said, he's just to inconsistent. despite his low showings i still think he as a 50/50 shot with glads. maybe more. i need to see more from him though, consitently, if i'm going to give him better odds.

tkitna
the thing tkitna, is sentry is really as powerful as battlehammer claims, he shouldn't have had a problem with ANY of that stuff. the point is, as superior tech said, he's just to inconsistent. despite his low showings i still think he as a 50/50 shot with glads. maybe more. i need to see more from him though, consitently, if i'm going to give him better odds.

Inconsistent is right, but who's fault is that? Its Marvel and the writers. My question is, why wouldnt you take the characters high feats as examples? He supposedly had trouble with a helicarrier, but yet was shattering planets fighting Genis. He caught a bullet before it could hit somebody in the head from point blank range, he flew to the sun and back in mere moments, dismantled numerous bombs in a flash, flew across the world and defused a problem before somebody could even use the bathroom, but yet didnt use any speed while fighting the Hulk.

He was displayed as being so powerful that when he had a report of the Wendigo being on the loose, he didnt even bother and sent his damn dog instead.

I suppose it helps if your name is on the front cover of the book (WWH for instance) and the writers can come up with a happy medium and understanding of the character. Hopefully in time.

Battlehammer
and how powerful am I claiming him to be again?

emporerpants
oh i don't know battlehammer, that whole thing about seriously using that bs line about stalemating galactus in a debate maybe?

and tkitna, i also hope that marvel starts writing sentry more consitently. i like the character and hope he starts getting some more respect. the thing is, as of right now he is too inconsistent to properly gauge. i think putting him at or slightly above glads is pretty fair, considering that this is a non jobbing glads.

quanchi112
Sentry does need more showings, hes very powerful I think we can all agree but he needs a few more showings imo as well to properly place him.

emporerpants
exactly quanchi *gives high five* smile

Battlehammer
I used the line becuases you were using that crap about wwh beating sentry as if that was something bad

emporerpants
sure hammer, whatever you say. it was obvious that i was referring to what sentry did in that fight as not being impressive in so far as him fully unleashing his power. he couldn't destroy the warbounds blades, he didn't destroy more than a city block, etc. it was a low showing to be sure. whats unfortunate about it is the fact that sentry was supposed to be going all out. also, where did i say that losing to the hulk is something bad? show me where, now.

and if you want to talk about crap, what about that crap YOU spouted about the writer saying sentry would have won if he had gone all out? the writer didn't say that. if he did, show me where.

also, if you didn't mean the galactus line, then why say it? is the rest of what you said in that post bullshit as well? after all, it certainly seemed like a serious refute to my "one low showing fight"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.