Who's the best military tactician ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Revolver Ocelot
I'd say Thrawn, followed by Revan then closely followed by Ackbar.

Mysterious Man
Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot
I'd say Thrawn, followed by Revan then closely followed by Ackbar. Agreed.

Jonathan Mark
This has been done like a gazillion times... and it's impossible to tell.

Janus said it best in a thread way back last year. You can't compare tacticians there is to many variables.

Revolver Ocelot
It would be difficult. I'm quite sure Revan has smaller, weaker ships. And his ground tactics must have included Dark Jedi, probably as field commanders and elite soldiers. Thrawn, on the other hand, didn't really incoporate most Dark jedi into his tactics, seeing as though there were only maybe 100 DJ in the Empire's reign (in contrast to thousands in Revan's Empire).

I thought it was pretty clear Thrawn > Ackbar.

And I think Thrawn was stated by the narrator to be the greatest tactician ever. Haven't read Heir in a long time though, so don't quote me on this.

Blaxican_Hydra
He was just the best one i nthe empire.

Revolver Ocelot
No, I believe it was "Best the galaxy's ever seen".

Blaxican_Hydra
Ah.

docb77
I think that I'd read that all af the grand admirals were the best of the best, and that the only commander that the rebels had that came close was Acbar. So if Thrawn is the best of those guys....

Council#13
General Grievous has go to somewhere in the top 10 at least

Rampant ox
My first choice would be Count Dooku because he is my favourite. Next though I would have to say General Greivous.

Antediluvian
Originally posted by Council#13
General Grievous has go to somewhere in the top 10 at least

Grievous was a decent tactician, but nowhere near tens.

hord06
General Grievous?

Antediluvian
Originally posted by hord06
General Grievous?

That's the one.

hord06
He sucks.

Lord Coal
Napoleon Bonaparte!

jollyjim311
Mace Windu! With his lead the Jedi into the arena and be mowed down tactics!

Janus Marius
Originally posted by jollyjim311
Mace Windu! With his lead the Jedi into the arena and be mowed down tactics!
Yeah, him and Pickett should hang out together.

Sesse
Admiral Ozzel was great.

Revolver Ocelot
Grievous was actually a pretty good tactician. I wouldn't hesitate to put him in the top 20.

Lightsnake
Grievous's main problem was he was too sadistic and went too far in needless cruelty. For tacticians, Thrawn, Ackbar and Revan are very high up, no doubt...Wedge Antilles was no slouch himself with the X-wing campaign and General Hoth managed to destroy Sith control over the galaxy with only a few planets' worth of strength to start out.

DePWNZOR
Grievous rocks. If it wasn't for Palpatine, he would have easily PWND The Republic. Ackbar<Grievous. Who do you think would win, Ackbar with the Rebel fleet at the battle of endor, or Grievous with the CIS fleet at the battle of Corosaunt. Grievous by miles.

Jonathan Mark
Originally posted by DePWNZOR
Grievous rocks. If it wasn't for Palpatine, he would have easily PWND The Republic. Ackbar<Grievous. Who do you think would win, Ackbar with the Rebel fleet at the battle of endor, or Grievous with the CIS fleet at the battle of Corosaunt. Grievous by miles.

Since has Grevous rocked?

DarthBanevv
What about Maximilian Veers?

DePWNZOR
Ok, he is cool, and a master tactician. Is that better?

Antediluvian

Uh . . . Ackbar defeated the same faction that crushed the Confederation.

I'm sorry, who'd win again?

DePWNZOR
Um, the Republic only beat the Confederecy because of Palpatines meddling. Also, Ackbar only beat the Empire cause Luke and Vader killed Palpatine.

DarthBanevv
Anted's right. Akbar's better than Grievous. Grievous was really only Palpatine and Dooku's puppet.

Lightsnake
Grievous is the kind of guy who'd stop a fight with a Jedi to kick a puppy.
In fairness, though, he was absolutely brilliant, especially when before he was...made over into a cyborg

DarthBanevv
Where'd you get this info, Lightsnake?

Lightsnake
It was in the story 'Unknown Soldier', his origin. Grievous was a brilliant general and it's said he would have won the Huk war if not for his...'accident'

DarthBanevv
'Unknown Soldier'. Is it a comic?

Lightsnake
It was a short story in Insider, the background info's also in the novel Labyrinth of Evil

DarthBanevv
I see. I still think Ackbar is a better tactician than Grievous.

Tangible God
Same here.

Lightsnake
hey, me too

DePWNZOR
Why is Ackbar so good? He got lucky in the Battle of Endor cause Palpatine died and stopped his battle meditation.

Lightsnake
Grand Admiral Syn could tell you if he wasn't vaporized

zephiel7
Revan is by far the smartest Sith Lord. in terms of tactics it is difficult to tell which is better: in my opinion it comes down to Thrawn or Revan.

Probably a tie

Tangible God
Why is Ackbar so good? He got lucky in the Battle of Endor cause Palpatine died and stopped his battle meditation. Ackbar did more than just Endor.

DarthBanevv
He also defeated Admiral Daala when she attacked Mon Calamari. And I think he also helped during the Yuuzhan Vong war. But I am barely on Balance Point. So I can't know for sure. Help me out here guys.

DePWNZOR
Needless cruelty? Such as............................. In LOE when he was attacking Belenderone he only attacked the refugees so that he could make a clean eskape

Lightsnake
Now, now...let's be careful, defeating Daala isn't that difficult. Ackbar also created the Ebaq 9 plot that really hurt the Vong fleet and killed Tsavong Lah...he was also responsible for liberating Kashyyk, ending the battle by outfighting Grand Admiral Pecatti Syn is a strategy duel and vaporizing him and his flagship

Hokage Yoda
Its me in Empire at War

Delta 62
Why.. the last Grand Admiral of course.

DarthBanevv
Tsavong Lah was a push-over.

Brotz
I do agree that it is impossible to tell who was the best military tactician ever, considering there are less famous tacticians who are hard to compare to the more famous ones. Examples: Cassus Fett, Lord Hoth, and Adar Tallon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.