Is Captain Marvel a BETTER version of Superman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Superman_045
Well, what're your thoughts?

badabing
It's easy to draw comparisons between them but there are a lot of differences. Cap is human with powers that are magic/mystical based while Supes powers come from his Kryptonian anatomy and absorption of yellow sun light. Both are very strong, almost impervious and fast. I don't think of Cap as a version of Supes but I've always liked his character a bit better.

Murda Mase
Supermans better, but Caps one of my favorites at DC.

I'd like him more though if he wasn't a 15 year old.

Validus
No.

That was easy.

ScarletSpider
I don't mind that he's a teenager, I just wish he wasn't so damn naive. I think in the comics they write him around 16-17 year old agewise now, but he's such a simpleton sometimes. I realize they do this for effect sometimes, and for that hoaky golden age feel, but it's annoying as hell.

Superman_045
Maybe they'll make him into an adult soon.

badabing
I wish Marvel had Cap.

Thunderstrike
I think Captain Marvel is the one I prefer of the two. He seems to be a bit more humble about his abilities, and he's just a cool guy. Superman does tend to be a dick every once in a while, and it's kinda annoying.

Lucid Lui
No.

CaptainStoic
I think he's a toned down version of Superman, he could easily be an elseworlds clone of the man of steel, but he's not quite as powerful. As far as liking him being more popular to people than Superman international sales should answer that question.
I think Captain Marvel may be slightly stronger than Superman's regular level of strength, bu he is outdone when you put the whole package together. Captain Marvel is kind of annoying though, I hate that 1950's thing he has going. Captain Cheesy is what I think of his personality.

Dark Shazam93
I prefer Cap but I think of Superman as the symbol of herism and the ultimate superhero possibly in thyat he symbolises everything a hero should be... you really get that feel in the heroic moments of the Superman movies! Captain Marvel is far cooler and possibly could win in a battle!

Laminator_X
Remember, before DC crippled them with a lawsuit and eventually bought them out, Fawcett Comics' Captain Marvel outsold DC's Superman by a substantial margin.

roughrider
The live-action TV series Marvel had on Saturday mornings, when I was a young kid, turned me into a major fan. He has the cooler outfit, but both have their pluses. Check out the debate thread about this in the Superman forum. (This will likely get moved there anyway.)

Black Adam
I like him better then Supes.

but no he's not a better version of supes.

ScarletSpider
That would ruin the character. I just don't want him to be a naive kid. I was fifteen when I joined the KMC message boards here, and back then I found Captain Marvel's personality to be, in many cases, hoaky, dated and annoying.

Sometimes, the naive Marvel works, such as Giffen and DeMatteis' version of him in JLI and the later Super Buddies stuff. They do it intentionally and make it work largely because it's in a comedy situation to begin with. Captain Marvel getting Martian Manhunter addicted to oreos was just plain awesome. Mary Marvel's interactions with Fire and Guy Gardner were hilarious as well.

And you can't tell me that's how they'd act anyways because that's the age of the characters. Look at Spider-Man when he first started out, or Ultimate Spider-Man today, or the new Blue Beetle, the Teen Titans, Young Avengers, Runaways. Teenage kids are not simpletons.

I think it mainly doesn't work because many writers use them like Golden Age characters in modern day works. Our perceptions of the good Captain have been warped, much like the paradigm on Batman had been horribly altered due to Adam West. Someone needs to pull a Millar on Captain Marvel and pull him out of that rut. Though that's not to say I want to see Captain Marvel in all super dark gritty settings, I just want a writer to come along and make us respect him again. DC's tried that a little bit in the past couple years, having Marvel in Superman's titles, and the current Superman/Shazam first thunder mini. But it got overshadowed by Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Prelude to Infinite Crisis, the Infinite Crisis miniseries, Infinite Crisis itself, One Year Later, 52, the new Blue Beetle etc. Meanwhile in the background is Grant Morrison's epic Seven Soldiers of Victory and every other montly book telling a new must-read storyline that will change this or that status quo. Sometimes there's just too much and the would-be greats get looked over. So like I said someone needs to come along and really make us look at Captain Marvel again (like Millar did with Batman). I don't want Millar-esque stories, but just a writer who understands the character and can tell the stories that will fit the character. After they tackle Superman Kurt Busiek and Fabian Nicieza would be a perfect match for Marvel, I think.

outavodka
Originally posted by Thunderstrike
Superman does tend to be a dick every once in a while, and it's kinda annoying. Ever once n a while.....try everytime you see him. With his fists perched on his hips, always floating, calling younger teamates son....who the hell duz that !............SUPERDICK THATS WHO. dont tell him i said that.

DarkCrawler
Anybody read Justice #5?

Pretty good Captain Marvel there, I think...

ScarletSpider
I agree, DC, that showcased a great Captain Marvel. A little naive, but not goofy and you have to look at the setting. Batman's scary anyways. In the Batcave, it only amplifies how intense he can be.

The scene where he takes out those heavy hitters and rescues Supes is great though. Lightening streaming off of him, awesome stuff. Damn, Ross, you rock.

DarkCrawler
Ironic, though. It's usually Superman who saves people. yes

This time, it was different:
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1417/cptmarv10gc.gif
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4497/cptmarv26ci.gif
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2103/cptmarvel32tf.gif

Gotham Knights also had pretty good characterization:
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4791/cptmarvel15ta.gif
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3995/cptmarvel21gn.gif

Validus
The shot with the lightning bolts radiating from his chest emblem is probably the best image of Captain Marvel I've seen.

DarkCrawler
Ross is not a human. No human can draw that well. stick out tongue

Milkie
Originally posted by outavodka
Ever once n a while.....try everytime you see him. With his fists perched on his hips, always floating, calling younger teamates son....who the hell duz that !............SUPERDICK THATS WHO. dont tell him i said that.

I like how Black Adam treats him. He makes Superman look like a f**king jackass sometimes.

ScarletSpider
Yeah, the shot with all the lightening trailing off Captain Marvel is sweet. Also shows his quick thinking, grabbing the kyrptonite to disable Metallo and then using it on Parasite.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.